Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fruitcake: Love or Hate?

Have to say if it's done right and really boozy, I LOVE it. No candied citrus peel for me though....this sounds like a good recipe actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2020 12:34 AM

For a second there, I thought those were mealworms.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2019 2:47 PM

OP is really my Aunt Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2019 2:50 PM

I love, love, LOVE fruitcake, even the varieties with candied citrus peel. Yes, I know I'm an outlier. I'm not particularly fond of brown raisins, so I only use the goldens when I make it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2019 2:54 PM

Jamaican fruitcake is actually quite good. I kind of have a thing about fruitcake since that’s what my grandpa used to call me

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2019 3:10 PM

I buy Assumption Abbey fruitcake this time of the year. They're made by virgin (allegedly) nuns. The fruitcake gets soaked in 1-2 cups brandy, vacuum packed for several weeks, then unwrapped in time for Christmas dinner.

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2019 3:15 PM

This isn’t Barbara Bush’s grandmother’s recipe. This is young, sassy and bitch’n!

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2019 3:21 PM

more suggestions for GOOD mail order ones, please without the fluorescent-green, lemon-peel bits or whatever

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2019 3:22 PM

Your poll sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2019 4:02 PM

R8 Indifferent goes to Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2019 8:04 PM

I do mine with rum and diced, dried pineapple, mango, apricot, raisins and walnuts.

You can really do them with anything you want. Hickory Farms used to put out one with cherries and chocolate chips, so I did a dried cherries version one year. Too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2019 8:15 PM

I like this one from Collin Street Bakery. Not sure if this counts as fruitcake though, and it’s not boozy, but I’m sure you could add your own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2019 8:18 PM

R10 Yes, you can pretty much use any dried fruit you want.

The article posted by OP talks about year old fruitcake. My granny used to make her fruitcake on boxing day for the following christmas....hers would make you drunk from eating it by the time it got to christmas.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2019 5:03 AM

My mother, who's from the deep South, used to make "candy orange slice cake". It was an old southern recipe. The special ingredient was candy orange slices. Brachs used to make medium-sized bags that held just the orange flavored pieces. My mom would chop them up and add them to the batter. I know it sounds like it would taste awful, but it was actually very good.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2019 5:09 AM

I love a good, boozy fruitcake. My mom once bought me a fruitcake from a department store (which are generally the worst kind) but this one was surprisingly delicious. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything like it since.

The Gethsemane Farms fruit cake is OK, but not worth the price.

The Whole Foods fruit cake has a molasses flavor (which doesn't belong in a fruit cake) and is a little overly sweet, but it's not bad and not too expensive.

The one from the Arizmendi Bakery in San Francisco wasn't that great.

I may try the Assumption Abbey fruitcake mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2019 5:29 AM

I usually purchase a Trappist Monastery fruitcake around this time of year. I love to have a slice with my morning tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2019 5:37 AM

r3=Raisin Racist

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2019 4:02 PM

It's a good novelty treat around the holidays. The rest of the year, no.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2019 4:44 PM

R13, my dad loved those candy orange slices, and we always had them around the house when I was growing up. I think they still make them, I saw them at some store recently, probably Ace Hardware. The one by me has a lot of old school candy, and caters to Hawaiians, so maybe that’s why.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2019 6:46 PM

In the 80’s, my high school marching band sold fruitcakes door-to-door as a fundraiser. The band director had us all taste the cake so that we could provide positive reviews to our potential customers.

Damn, that cake was delicious. I can still taste it! It wasn’t boozy but it was moist and flavorful. I would roll my eyes at the idiots who recoiled in horror at the thought of eating fruitcake. They missed out.

I wish that I could remember the brand name of that damn good cake.

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2019 7:01 PM

Yes, but only with fondant icing.

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2019 7:06 PM

^ Philistine.

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2019 7:07 PM

I love a well made fruitcake. I make a Japanese fruitcake every year or 2 at the holidays. It always seems to go over well even with people who don't care for fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2019 7:12 PM

My grandma, who was Danish and an expert baker, would make fruitcake every Christmas. She would make it almost a month a head of time and have my grandfather "water it" with some type of booze daily. Probably brandy? It was fucking fantastic! I've always been looking for a recipe that might help me recreate it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2019 7:19 PM

R23, maybe she used a base similar to this. This is a common WWII rationing cake recipe.

During the war, and for a few years after in Europe, it was very hard to get baking ingredients. This rationing cake recipe is made without milk or eggs. The recipe calls for citron as the only dried fruit in the cake.

This could make a good cake to be shipped in a tin overseas for soldiers, since it would keep.

I used this as a fruitcake base, removed the citron, and put in dried apricots, pineapples, dates, mangos and walnuts, with a few pecans, and soaked it in rum. It’s super rich, but really good.

It gets hard to stir though. You need strong arms to mix it, after the fruit goes in.

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2019 8:09 PM

Every fruitcake we had at Christmas was always a year old. My mother would make a new fruitcake every Christmas, wrap it in an MD202 soaked cheesecloth (the ONLY thing MD2020 is good for), then Saran Wrap, then heavy duty foil, and put it in the freezer to be taken out the next Christmas. Those year old soaked fruitcakes were fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2019 8:47 PM

Panforte is sort of an Italian fruitcake and is delicious. I made it one time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2019 6:19 PM

R23, sorry, here’s the War Cake recipe. I read that a lot of women of that era had this recipe and used it. I’ve also read that something similar was used during the Depression because it’s not many ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2019 6:59 PM

I'm a fruitcake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2019 7:04 PM

Amazon sells the Assumption Abbey fruit cake. Here's the link with 200+ reviews, FWIW. IMO, the fruit cake should have more cake than fruit. The ingredients are actually expensive. My mom would pour brandy on them for several days in a row, before wrapping them and gifting them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2019 7:17 PM

R28 He loves his fruitcakes with plenty of nuts.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2019 9:40 PM

I've mentioned this in previous threads about fruitcakes: Tomato Soup Cake is absolutely delicious, and a great alternative to the more traditional fruitcake recipes. It's more cake than fruit, and nicely spiced. Can be made months ahead, boozed up if you prefer it that way, but even freshly-made it it quite tasty. And it makes the house smell great while it's baking!

I am not a fan of the type that resembles a piece of stained glass when it's been sliced. Too much fruit is overkill.

Let the stones fly.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 12:55 AM

My father always soaked a tea towel in bourbon and wrapped the fruitcake for at least a day before cutting.

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 1:07 AM

Ha ! R31 I remember carefully trying to remove the fruit from my mother's cakes , just trying to get to some REAL cake, NO luck . it was just fruit , stuck to fruit , stuck to more fruit and occasional nut!

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 1:12 AM

Best comment, R30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 3:35 AM

Maybe one piece per year. Except if it is soaked in booze then maybe a couple.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 9:56 AM

One of the few truly detestable foods in the world that isn't a cruciferous vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 10:27 AM

I hate raisins and other dried and candied fruit (except for orange peel, weirdly) so it always seemed a waste of a perfectly good cake. I can stomach it if it's boozy enough, but I won't enjoy it. I've been thinking of doing the same kind of batter with only nuts in it, and maybe some candied peel, but no dried fruit.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 10:29 AM

I love it. Raisins, sultanas, currants, almonds, candied peel all soaked in rum and sherry then baked into a dense cake that is left to develop after the addition of more rum or sherry or whiskey. I use this recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 10:59 AM

[quote] I am not a fan of the type that resembles a piece of stained glass when it's been sliced. Too much fruit is overkill.

I agree. Those types of fruitcakes are more candy than cake.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 11:15 AM

In college I worked for the Ward Baking Company, bakers of Ward's Paradise Fruitcake, and whatever didn't sell would go right back into the warehouse until the following November when it was time to put it back into the stores. The old-timers swore that it wasn't even fit to eat until it had aged at least 3 years.

The dairies did it too. Any unsold egg nog would go back into the freezer come January.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 11:17 AM

If you like a fruitcake that is more cake than fruit you really should try the Japanese fruitcake. There are all sorts of varieties from typical multiple fruits to citrus style, but they're all good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 11:18 AM

Psychopaths who clicked "love it" need to do the right thing and have a friend lash them securely to a chair so they cannot harm themselves or others.

Liking fruitcake. For fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 11:35 AM

You just haven't met the right fruitcake, r42.

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Fruitcakes can be freaks under the duvet.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 12:51 AM

I like fruitcake, but Plum pudding is miles ahead of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2019 9:52 PM

R20, fondant would be OK, but for fruitcake the way to go is hard sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2019 11:18 PM

Some of us only eat fruitcakes in Europe, r43.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Fruitcake: Looks bad, tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2019 12:02 AM

Missing having Fruitcake this year

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2020 11:26 PM

You need to try Caribbean style fruitcake or even better blackcake. They are both generally eaten around Christmastime. Only difference is there is a better ratio of fruit to cake batter which makes it more of a cake than a granola bar. The blackcake is sorry if life Christmas pudding but again it is more of a cake texture. I'm from the islands, so I know the difference in taste between the two and why I detest "fruitcake" AND Christmas pudding, but love their "relatives"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 25, 2020 11:36 PM

I think I don't like it, but I haven't had it since I was a kid 30 years ago and I have no idea what the quality of that one was like.

I'm not really a fan of nuts in cakes, but I would try the linked recipe if someone made it

by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2020 11:38 PM

That looks really good, R50.

by Anonymousreply 52December 25, 2020 11:41 PM

Same-Sex Loving Baked Good is more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 53December 25, 2020 11:44 PM

R52 it's a staple in Caribbean homes during Christmastime, only you will be eating an actual rum-soaked, fruity slice of cake instead of a sickeningly sweet piece of hard candied fruit and nut.

by Anonymousreply 54December 25, 2020 11:48 PM

I love the German version - Stollen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2020 12:17 AM

I buy an Assumption Abbey fruitcake every year. I then proceed to spend the following month eating it, bit by bit. For me, it’s the perfect fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 56December 26, 2020 12:24 AM

Good fruitcake" Claxton County Georgia Fruitcake. Years and years ago a one-pound bar was 99¢. Today it's $10.00 ..... $7.00 if you buy five. Buy from plant or Verizon. I've done eight so far.

by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2020 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!