Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Last Christmas” (2019) is such a disappointment, it is unforgivable.

The movie was so good, so sweet, so charming and made me cradle my mug and tear up at parts, until the twist during the end. I can not believe that twist.

I mean, it is not horrible, but it just took away from The movie. I loved it so much until the twist is revealed.

Emilia Clarke is so wonderful in this! I am a fan but even as one, she really shines bright and lights up the screen.

Henry Golding is also very handsome and sweet, and great in his scenes (there aren’t as many as you would think).

The story is lovely, but that twist really took me out of the movie for a minute and I stopped caring after. Ugh.

I am so annoyed.

I did like the use of George Michaels music. The movie feels like it’s paying homage to him, without mentioning him. I did like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2019 1:22 PM

So what’s the twist for those of us who won’t be seeing it?

by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2019 6:20 PM

I could pretty much guess the twist just from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2November 8, 2019 6:28 PM

For r1: last Christmas, Kate (Emilia Clarke) had a heart transplant and this Christmas she meets a man (Henry Golding) who turns out to be the ghost of that man who died and whose heart she received.

by Anonymousreply 3November 8, 2019 6:32 PM

PS r3 is not me aka OP, for those that may get angry and start their F/F campaign lol

by Anonymousreply 4November 8, 2019 6:34 PM

Ugh. From the previews, she seems awfully mobile for someone with a heart transplant

by Anonymousreply 5November 8, 2019 6:35 PM

Well she’s had the transplant for a year now. So she’s grown used to it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 8, 2019 6:36 PM

The twist is that he’s gay all along and she made all up the fantasy because she’s an ugly single frau desperately falling in love with a very handsome gay man

He’s dead

by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2019 6:37 PM

A real frau would love it unconditionally and uncritically.

by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2019 6:39 PM

The shocking twist is her she tests positive fir HIV. The heart was from a cum-dump Prep-er, and the regular tests for the virus failed.

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2019 6:41 PM

I think I already saw that movie. It was called "Return to Me" with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver, in which Minnie gets the heart of David's deceased wife, and he falls in love with her. Doesn't anyone have any new ideas anymore?

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2019 6:42 PM

Intriguingly, Emilia's eyebrows are as lush and bushy as Henry's.

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2019 6:42 PM

I guessed right! Yay me!

They could have just expanded the now-hilarious Wham! video to feature length. So much fluffy hair!

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2019 6:42 PM

R8 my theater was pretty packed, and it was 100% white people, almost all couples and few female pairings. But mostly married couples, and some of the women were crying so much. One was sobbing behind me.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2019 6:43 PM

So can other people see the ghost, or just her?

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2019 6:45 PM

This is another film following the trend of using one artists music as its soundtrack.

“Blinded by the Light” being the most recent one previously.

I say BoRhap started this.

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2019 6:45 PM

R14 it’s just her. We don’t know until the end because we only ever see him interacting with her. He can show up to her because she is holding his heart, so they have a connection now.

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2019 6:46 PM

So does she become a lesbian ?

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2019 6:49 PM

Lmao no r17. She’s still herself with a new heart but she admits she’s never felt the same since the transplant.

Her sister is a lesbian though.

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2019 6:50 PM

R16 So, just like real life.

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2019 6:52 PM

IRL, heart transplant recipients would have to take a lot of medication, right? She doesn’t even look like she takes an aspirin.

I’m a boring frau, but I rarely watch this type of movie. They bore the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2019 6:53 PM

That filipino guy is ugly as fuck.

Sorry, not a star.

by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2019 7:01 PM

Last Christmas

I gave you my heart

The very next day

You threw it away

(Is this a feature film version of a Hallmark Channel Christmas Movie?)

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2019 7:37 PM

It literally says the movie is based on the song by George Michael

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2019 7:39 PM

[Quote]Is this a feature film version of a Hallmark Channel Christmas Movie

Absolutely. This seems like the type of maudlin crap my mom would eat up. She loves those hallmark movies.

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2019 7:41 PM

That's why it pisses me off that the commercials advertising this movie are calling it the "BEST MOVIE OF THE DECADE!!!"

They should be fucking SHOT for such dishonesty.

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2019 7:43 PM

Lasht Chrishmash wash great!

It helped me git over my shcurvvy!

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2019 7:45 PM

It didn't even get good reviews r25.

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2019 7:53 PM

Henry Golding's collapse is complete.

He'll never be.... anything.

by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2019 8:01 PM

He is blandly handsome. She is blandly cute. Together they make oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2019 8:07 PM

THAT’S what the George Michael song was about?? Well push me over with a feather, I thought it was just a breakup song.

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2019 8:59 PM

I can't believe she dies at the end.

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2019 10:12 PM

Henry is so handsome 😍

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2019 12:16 AM

She doesn’t die at the end.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2019 12:17 AM

I can’t believe that she betrayed and hurt him so bad at the end. Having a heart transplant wasn’t a lame excuse

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2019 12:20 AM

I just watched it, and its super cute, but the twist truly was lame.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2019 12:23 AM

Is it her last Christmas? His last Christmas? Their last Christmas? Does she see dead people?

Oh, my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2019 12:38 AM

^^ He just ghosts her in the end.

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2019 12:58 AM

The scene in his apartment, when she opens up to him was beautiful. It felt very sincere and the acting was so good. That was the one scene that made me tear up a little.

Then the ending comes and you find out he’s been dead all along and she has his heart in her chest so they have an eternal connection, and you roll your eyes b

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2019 1:01 AM

Romantic movies bore me.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2019 1:02 AM

If that’s the twist and this movie is based on Last Christmas then it doesn’t make any sense. The plot doesn’t fit with the lyrics. I was looking forward to this when they announced it but this thread and the reviews have put me way off. I’ll just pop on a bit of George instead. x

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2019 1:38 AM

I get from the trailer that she is poor and struggling and sick and he is handsome and life-affirming and falls in love with her and it’s a fairy tale for der frauen.

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2019 1:47 AM

Synopsis of the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2019 1:51 AM

R41 shes poor because she chooses to be pretty much. She could go move back home and get her shit together but after her heart surgery she doesn’t seem to care, eats wrecklessly now and drinks a lot. She has no drive anymore etc.

But after she meets him, he is a positive influence on her and she starts to get into good spirits and habits eventually etc.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2019 1:54 AM

So, the bitch is crazy? That's the twist?! Mother fucker!! FU Emma Thompson!!!

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2019 1:57 AM

As soon as we saw the trailer, my partner and I both thought what R3 said. It was so blatantly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2019 1:58 AM

They really don’t look like they have the same blood type, implausible.

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2019 2:36 AM

The asian movie trend is over.

Nobody is interested.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2019 2:42 AM

I found it odd she never acknowledged he was Asian. In one scene she is trying to describe him and says everything, from height to hair color but never says “Asian”, which would narrow it down a lot.

His last name in this is Warren.

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2019 2:45 AM

"Dreck" -Rex Reed

"I'm going to the lobby for Snowcones, does anyone want anything?" -Roger Ebert

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2019 2:57 AM

What movie theatres have snow cones, I want to go there.

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2019 3:00 AM

[Quote] What movie theatres have snow cones, I want to go there.

Mine used to have chocolate chip cookies 😔

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2019 3:03 AM

Movie aside, Last Christmas is truly the greatest Christmas song of all time. I just adore it, don’t you? x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2019 3:06 AM

Y'all got duped. This should have streamed on Netflix. I bet the numbers would be astronomical.

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2019 3:08 AM

This will inspire next year’s big holiday Romcom movie that will take place in. Rwandan genocide refugee camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2019 3:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2019 3:58 AM

He’s a very handsome man

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2019 4:05 AM

It's Wham too! Andrew must have felt betrayed.

They're ripping off that 90's movie with minnie driver but with a halloween aspect.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2019 4:15 AM

The whole Yugoslavian angle is odd.

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2019 4:19 AM

Was that just an excuse for Emma to do an outlandish accent? I feel she's gotten hammy in recent years... even more hammy I mean... she's always had the capacity to go larger than life, but there's something out her lately that feels unhinged lol.

by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2019 4:22 AM

I want to make some lesbian pudding for the holidays!

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2019 9:51 AM

Once you know she had a heart transplant wouldn’t the spoiler be in the first line of the song? Does she throw the transplant away the very next day? She doesn’t sing Last Christmas at the end, does she? I heard she sings. This sounds dreadful.

When I heard this was in production I was kind of looking forward to it - I thought it was going to be a nice rom-com mashup of Last Christmas and like The Waitresses song. Why do these filmmakers fuck stuff up so bad all the time? How do they get jobs?

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2019 10:19 AM

Last Christmas has become a classic Christmas song and that is exactly what is should continue to be. A movie will only detract from the song.

George Michael wrote Last Christmas. Andrew was along for the ride on this.

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2019 10:42 AM

[quote] It literally says the movie is based on the song by George Michael

Which apparently the screenwriters took literally too.

Except for the twist at the end. Never saw THIS coming!:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 9, 2019 11:06 AM

R63 omg that scene used to give me nightmares as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 64November 9, 2019 11:28 AM

The NY Times - yes they're insufferable - said the two leads had 0 chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 65November 9, 2019 12:33 PM

I really wish Emma Thompson would stick with adapting other people's stories or collaborate with other screenwriters. This hardly counts as an original story anyway since it's just the plots of other films cobbled together. Even the lead characters each have different attributes of the tired manic pixie dream girl trope. I like her, but everything she's written since she won the best screenplay Oscar has got progressively worse.

by Anonymousreply 66November 9, 2019 1:10 PM

No one watched Return To Me. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2019 2:17 PM

^^ Yes, because its main plot hung upon a silly conceit that no-one found very compelling, which is part of the whole point.

by Anonymousreply 68November 9, 2019 2:47 PM

I’m ghosting this movie.

by Anonymousreply 69November 9, 2019 3:38 PM

The Yugoslavian angle is so that Emma and her ilk can rag on Brexit as evil. The badly written plot has so many holes that you’d have to be a basic frau who’s into Hallmark movies to want to pay to see this in theater.

Heart transplant and any organ transplant patients are categorized according to severity of disease AND suitability of transplant. This means you are assessed very carefully for evidence to care for yourself and having solid support system so that organs are not wasted being transplanted in people who don’t give a fuck about lifestyle changes and choices or who don’t have psychosocial support system in place already. The more important the organ the more stringent these assessments are for patients and their families. That’s why it’s so hard to get hearts and livers.

Also, 1-2 years out from transplant, patients are on a cocktail of anti-rejection/ immunosuppressive meds including steroids that give them to certain degree moon face, a telltale sign of being on such meds. Conceivably I guess a patient in her mid to late 20s could look or be as active as EC in the movie, but highly unlikely being only less than 2 years out PARTICULARLY if she’s been abusing her body with drinking and eating junk food. You simply cannot do that while on post-transplant protocol, which also includes frequent health checks. IRL she would’ve had complications from her lifestyle AND her behavior would’ve been sussed out by transplant team who sees her regularly in clinic.

by Anonymousreply 70November 9, 2019 3:48 PM

R57 Andrew apparently makes a cameo in it. Did anyone see him? The movie sounds awful and the lead actress makes my mouth hurt because she smiles so wide all the time. She was nauseatingly cutesy on Graham Norton. Thanks for letting me know the ending so I don't have to see it although I am curious how they used GM's music. Does he sing or does the actress sing?

by Anonymousreply 71November 9, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]Andrew apparently makes a cameo in it. Did anyone see him?

Yes. In a crowd scene at the end he's in a suit singing along to "Last Christmas". The camera lingers on him for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 72November 9, 2019 3:54 PM

Do they play "Wake Me Up Before I Go Go" as she has to leap out of bed to the bathroom to take a dump? I never could understand that song -- that's how it could finally work!

by Anonymousreply 73November 9, 2019 3:56 PM

Henry Golding is very good-looking, but does no one want to come out and say that he's an Asian guy whose features otherwise are similar to beauty/handsomeness standards are for a Caucasian male?

by Anonymousreply 74November 9, 2019 4:01 PM

R70 what does Yugoslavia have to do with Brexit, most of the former Yugoslavian countries are not even in the EU?

by Anonymousreply 75November 9, 2019 4:03 PM

R74 people don’t ever acknowledge that. Golding is considered a beauty of an Asian man, but you can’t acknowledge that he has white features (because he is mixed) because that is racist.

Same for people like Halsey or Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 76November 9, 2019 4:10 PM

[quote]what does Yugoslavia have to do with Brexit, most of the former Yugoslavian countries are not even in the EU?

It was moreso about the anti-immigrant sentiment surrounding Brexit. It reminded her character of how she and her family were persecuted in Yugoslavia. She was afraid that history would repeat itself.

by Anonymousreply 77November 9, 2019 4:17 PM

It looks like a Hallmark network movie. Why not just watch a Hallmark network movie?

by Anonymousreply 78November 9, 2019 4:44 PM

I wanna see it

by Anonymousreply 79November 9, 2019 11:08 PM

The twist is that he wants his heart back, and in a gruesome scene pulls it out of her chest Mola Ram style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 9, 2019 11:41 PM

Anyone who’s seen Ghost will get what’s going on here the first time Henry’s character shows up.

Also, I think Emma must have used an app to make sure all the diversity boxes were checked from inter racial couples to trans to immigrant to homeless to handicap to old people to pregnant feminist.

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2019 6:48 AM

So it’s a horror film right?

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2019 6:58 AM

Emma Thompson has become insufferable in her old age. She's turned into the twee caricature she accused Audrey Hepburn of being.

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2019 7:09 AM

What did she say about Audrey, R83?

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2019 9:52 AM

R84, Thompson said Hepburn was twee, mumsy and couldn't really act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2019 10:03 AM

Meh...

I'll wait until the movie version of "Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2019 10:15 AM

HATE to be THIS guy but...I can't believe you actually spent money on this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2019 10:18 AM

Fuck me, I got more entertainment outta this thread than I would seeing the film. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2019 10:25 AM

Thompson is an insufferable luvvie hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2019 10:55 AM

Does the gay ghost go cruising on Hampstead Heath.

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2019 11:10 AM

Ivana see it.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2019 11:13 AM

R70 your post reminds me of why I had lost all desire to watch the show Shameless when I learned that the 50-something, alcoholic fuck-up of a dad gets a liver transplant. I know it's fiction, but still.

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2019 11:18 AM

I kinda liked the movie. Certainly not a great movie. But husband and I have been stressed out by work, so this one was just fine. To me it wasn't 'such a disappointment'. Rotten Tomatoes already warned me with a score of 49%. 84% of viewers said they enjoyed it though. It was definitely a Hallmark movie, no more, no less. The only concerning thing is that I don't even apologize anymore to gravitate to these movies. I blame Trump.

by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2019 11:28 AM

R85 I can add that to the long list of reasons I hate Emma Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 94November 10, 2019 11:44 AM

It's uncomfortable when they try to make unattractive ethnic actors the hot lead.

by Anonymousreply 95November 10, 2019 11:51 AM

Is Thompson any good in this?

by Anonymousreply 96November 10, 2019 11:53 AM

R95 = cunt. F&F

by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2019 11:58 AM

How much longer are they going to try to make a star out of Emilia Clarke?

by Anonymousreply 98November 10, 2019 1:15 PM

I love Emilia Clarke

by Anonymousreply 99November 10, 2019 7:40 PM

The only thing I know of Emilia Clarke is what I've seen of her in the trailer for this movie. She reminds me of Lilly james, though, who is another eager-to-please, always smiling actress who gets on my last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 100November 10, 2019 7:53 PM

She's like a child actor. No real skill but trying to get by on being cute, grinning maniacally and exaggerated, basic expressions. She'll never be a film star. Better hustle back to TV and try to get another series. The UK version of Mila Kunis, who is another non-talent getting by on basic roles that require nothing.

by Anonymousreply 101November 10, 2019 9:31 PM

Or maybe her best bet would be to pull a Leslie Mann and marry a writer/director/producer who will put her in everything he does.

by Anonymousreply 102November 10, 2019 9:32 PM

Leslie Mann was just in “Motherless Brooklyn”, which has nothing to do with her hubby

by Anonymousreply 103November 10, 2019 9:34 PM

It would have been much better is the twist had been that he was a female to male trans with a second last minute twist were she turns out to be a male to female trans

by Anonymousreply 104November 10, 2019 9:42 PM

R103 is a literal moron

by Anonymousreply 105November 10, 2019 9:56 PM

R77, the word you were looking for is "more."

R73, It's Wake Me Up Before *You* Go-Go.

I saw "Return to Me" and thought it was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 106November 10, 2019 10:15 PM

[quote]Last Christmas, I gave you my heart [quote]But the very next day you gave it away [quote]This year, to save me from tears [quote]I'll give it to someone special

How many hearts does he have?

by Anonymousreply 107November 10, 2019 10:47 PM

I don't understand all the hate for Emma Thompson!

by Anonymousreply 108November 10, 2019 10:48 PM

I love Emilia Clarke’s eyebrows. They give me caterpillar vibes. Who doesn’t love caterpillars? x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2019 3:34 AM

Saw it today and must admit I loved it. I cried a few times during the movie especially the last scene. Henry is so handsome

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2019 4:18 AM

R110 = Henry Golding's mom.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2019 10:38 AM

Henry Golding is the first Asian breakout mainstream romantic leading man because he's not "Asian Asian." Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2019 12:42 PM

R112 Not much to discuss, he is a half-breed (thats all I ever heard) and as such benefits from the mix of asian with caucasian genes.

by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2019 1:28 PM

He looks 99% Asian too me

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]He looks 99% Asian too me

You look 100% moron to me.

by Anonymousreply 115November 11, 2019 4:02 PM

R76, it's the mix itself that makes them gorgeous. That's why someone like Vanessa Williams was far beautiful than some standard, white midwest frau.

by Anonymousreply 116November 11, 2019 4:04 PM

And BTW, R76: Have you ever seen African women? Not African-American. Some of the most beautiful women because no white got in there "but that's racist." Incredible features and skin. A work of art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 11, 2019 4:09 PM

It only made 10 million on 3500 screens in the US.

by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2019 5:12 PM

R117 but Africans from different parts look different.

by Anonymousreply 119November 11, 2019 10:28 PM

Saw the film this afternoon and nearly threw my bottle of coke at the cunt in the front row who turned her phone on (full brightness) and was looking at Instagram during the BIG PLOT REVEAL. But the spirit of forgiveness came over me so I just waited until she was getting into the revolving doors and pushed the door so she got her foot stuck.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I'm irritated by the shortcomings.

WHY DOES KATE LIKE GEORGE MICHAEL SO MUCH? Why does she have his photo on her suitcase and his posters on the walls? The family came to the UK after 1999 so after the toilet incident so would they have been happy having their daughter idolise A MAN WHO HAS SEX IN PUBLIC TOILETS?? Surely a throwaway line about when the family came to the UK as refugees his songs helped her learn English or something like that. But the songs were totally detached from the plot.

WHY DID KATE NEED A HEART TRANSPLANT AND WHY ISN'T SHE ON MEDICATION. No explanation as to how long she'd been ill, was it a sudden illness, had she been ill a long time? Really badly done.

Anyway, let's do the diversity checklist

Black characters - CHECK - the pregnant woman's husband, the mixed race guy at the homeless shelter

Asian characters - Henry Golding and Michelle Yeoh, the estate agent, goldfish man, pregnant friend

Trans - CHECK - the doctor was played by Rebecca Root

Gay - NOT CHECKED - possibly the estate agent who was with a male friend at the talent contest. I suppose George himself could be the solitary homosexual tokenism.

Lesbian - CHECK - sister and cameo by Sue Perkins

Refugee - CHECK - Emma Thompson and whole family

Disabled - CHECK - homeless volunteer in wheelchair

Mixed race couple - CHECK - pregnant couple, sister and girlfriend, Emelia & Henry

Muslim - NOT CHECKED - possibly the pregnant wife of the black guy was a muslim but where was her hijab?

Still, I did like the line about lesbian pudding.

by Anonymousreply 120November 18, 2019 4:33 PM

So it's like Vice but with nice people?

by Anonymousreply 121November 18, 2019 4:53 PM

If it was really based on the George Michael song, wouldn't she rip the transplanted heart out and throw it away the very next day?

Which sounds more Dario Argento than Hallmark Special, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 122November 18, 2019 4:58 PM

How does a movie like this get over 122 replies?

by Anonymousreply 123November 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Fraus and gays in denial about having frau tastes, R123.

by Anonymousreply 124November 18, 2019 5:01 PM

[quote][R117] but Africans from different parts look different.

And so do Europeans.

My point was that there are ugly and beautiful people on this planet. Every person of a certain race isn't gorgeous or ugly. And mixed people can be ugly or gorgeous. There is no one race where every single member is one or the other.

by Anonymousreply 125November 18, 2019 5:06 PM

So how does she find out he's a ghost? If no one else can see him can he go into women's locker rooms and watch them change and shower? What happens when she finds out? Does he stay with her or go to heaven or turn into mist and then she forgets all about in like in The Bishop's Wife?

Who plays the Glady's Cooper role?

And why doesn't he simply read her the riot act when he sees what a lazy depressive she is? You know I can't believe you got my fucking heart you undeserving bitch kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 126November 18, 2019 5:20 PM

[R126] Her first suspicion comes when he fucks her and can't touch the sides, but as she'd recently pulled a train for the local rugby team she puts it down to coincidence. Later on, she loses her temper and screams that she'll put him through the fucking wall if he ever fucking does that again. "All right, all right," he mutters and walks through it himself.

by Anonymousreply 127November 18, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote]Does she see dead people?

No, bitch, I can!

by Anonymousreply 128November 18, 2019 5:26 PM

Why is Emilia struggling to get work and settling for garbage films like this? She’s proven herself to be a talented actress, she’s beautiful, she’s young, and she gets asses in seats. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 129November 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Do Hallmark movies have non white people or mixed race couples in them? Especially at Christmas? What about gay people and ax murderers?

by Anonymousreply 130November 18, 2019 5:30 PM

SPOILER ALERT FOR R126

After some random meets on park benches and in shops The Ghost eventually takes Emelia Clarke back to his immaculately presented studio flat in central London and lets her sleep there.

Eventually she goes back to the flat to look for him and the estate agent is getting ready to show people around and she learns from the agent that the previous owner died and she has a Sixth Sense realisation that all the previous occasions she met him he was a ghost and she was talking to herself on park benches and walking down the street. How she got INTO the flat wasn't answered.

by Anonymousreply 131November 18, 2019 5:31 PM

What a weirdly dark twist for a schlocky hallmark film. Weird and alienating.

by Anonymousreply 132November 18, 2019 5:33 PM

"IT IS UNFORGIVABLE!!"

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 133November 18, 2019 5:36 PM

I really like the movie. I cried a few times during the movie especially the last scene. Henry can fuck me anytime he wants. The guy is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 134November 18, 2019 5:39 PM

I have to say I'm shocked he's a star, because I thought he was aiming for journalism. I used to see him on the Travel Show on the BBC. I didn't think he was trying to be an actor.

by Anonymousreply 135November 18, 2019 5:41 PM

I wonder if Melanoma saw a ghost when she had her kidneys transplanted?

by Anonymousreply 136November 18, 2019 5:48 PM

Does he sleep there as well? Does he cook for her? If not doesn't she ask him where he spends the night? If he died and they are showing it wouldn't they have cleared his stuff out? Wouldn't it creep people out to see a dead man's stuff everywhere? Or are they desperate for the place? Or when she goes back to see him has the place just been cleared out? And how did he die? Gruesome accident? Disease? Does he look pale? What did he do to have an immaculate flat in central London? Were people staring at her when she was walking all over London interacting with someone who wasn't there?

I need my soap opera ghost movies to make sense.

by Anonymousreply 137November 18, 2019 5:52 PM

R31 don't worry. They go to Titanic Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 138November 18, 2019 5:59 PM

SPOILERS For R137

He died after he was cycling through London and was hit by a vehicle. He told her he works nights volunteering at a homeless centre.

The only possession in his flat when the estate agent is showing it round is his iPhone - the ghost tells Emelia that it's locked in a box. There's no mention of his family or previous life but people cared enough to put a plaque on a park bench in memory of him.

The more I think about it the more stupid it becomes.

by Anonymousreply 139November 18, 2019 6:04 PM

Does the plaque read "In memory of that random hot Asian guy we should have fucked while he was alive oh well"?

by Anonymousreply 140November 18, 2019 6:08 PM

I like this review -it calls the film 'a festering, radioactive turd'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 18, 2019 6:17 PM

Sexy AND classy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 18, 2019 6:23 PM

Still thinking about it, possibly the worst scene was when Emilia turns up at the homeless shelter and looks for Tom, and is unable to describe him as "the really good looking, tall, half Chineseish guy with perfect skin".

by Anonymousreply 143November 18, 2019 8:27 PM

It's a good rom com with a warm heart. I hope it makes good money. But Henry has the worst £10 haircut in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 144November 19, 2019 1:43 AM

Another piece of merchandise to be sold for Christmas. I hate this kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 145November 19, 2019 2:29 AM

I went to see it after I spoiled the ending and read the "twist" here

Weird, but knowing sooner made me cry EARLIER. The scene where he takes her to his apartment and she collapses on the floor and he ends up touching her open heart scar just made me turn on the water works BECAUSE I KNEW.

And the funniest line in the movie, "so what did they call you, crumpet? Sausage roll?" [Michelle Yeoh is delightful in light comedy.]

And for all the folks that call this a high budget Hallmark movie, a Hallmark movie would not have a happy, successful lesbian couple in it. Or addressed Croatian War refugees.

It was like watching it for the second time without a first time.

I really liked it. [ And in the back of my mind I wanted Constance Wu cast in stead of Emilia...Crazy Christmas Asians...]

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2019 3:44 AM

Emilia was perfectly casted. What are you talking about? Wu looks too bitchy for the role. Henry is just perfect, handsome and sweet 😍

by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2019 3:53 AM

Although I disliked the film, I'm somewhat in awe of the fact that they took such a ridiculous premise (an extremely literal interpretation of a line from a Wham! song), made a film out of it, and actually managed to PROFIT.

by Anonymousreply 148November 26, 2019 9:04 PM

Don't get bent out of shape, it hasn't made zilch in profit yet. It will be lucky to break even. The production budget was $25 million, they have to make 2.5 times that (at least) to profit.

by Anonymousreply 149November 27, 2019 2:07 AM

Asia

by Anonymousreply 150November 27, 2019 2:19 AM

What about Asia? It's not being released in China. Nothing else factors. Universal pulled it from 1000+ theaters in the US after last weekend. This is its death rattle.

by Anonymousreply 151November 27, 2019 2:39 AM

Looks like a piece of shit. If Thompson wrote that, how could she have written other screenplays attributed to her, like Sense and Sensibility? Or maybe she's lost her mind now and has dementia?

by Anonymousreply 152November 27, 2019 2:43 AM

Seriously, R151? Why isn't it released in China?

by Anonymousreply 153November 27, 2019 2:53 AM

The two of them have no chemistry, the guy isn't cute at all

by Anonymousreply 154November 27, 2019 3:29 AM

Thompson didn’t write it, the playwright Bryony Kimmings did. Thompson came up with the story and is credited as co-writer but Kimmings wrote most of the actual screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 155November 27, 2019 4:55 AM

Well, that's somewhat reassuring, R155. A stupid story nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 156November 27, 2019 5:40 AM

Another flop for horsey Emma Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 157November 27, 2019 6:07 AM

That Netflix film Thompson did with Mindy Kaling was EXCRUCIATING

by Anonymousreply 158November 27, 2019 2:03 PM

It’s funny that Clarke turns out to have the biggest Hollywood career out of all the GoT women because she was the worst actress.

by Anonymousreply 159November 27, 2019 5:33 PM

R159 just you wait for my breakthrough performance as Mia Farrow in Kenneth Branagh's Agatha Christie's Death On The Nile

by Anonymousreply 160November 27, 2019 7:30 PM

I think Clarke is on borrowed time. Her films are all flops. She'll only get so many chances.

by Anonymousreply 161November 27, 2019 9:14 PM

The budget is $25 mils and has made $53.3 as of Nov 26

by Anonymousreply 162November 28, 2019 3:04 AM

They don't get 100% of the box office, duh.

by Anonymousreply 163November 28, 2019 3:32 AM

This movie is still doing very well in the UK. The "it's so bad it's good" and "there's a twist like The Crying Game but it doesn't involve a penis" word of mouth is getting the punters in. I heard 2 frumpy women discussing it in a coffee shop and one told the other "make sure you take tissues with you" and I had to stop myself from saying "but Henry Newman doesn't get naked?"

Hadley Freeman gets it spot on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 10, 2019 6:03 PM

Released on Nov 8 n has made $86 mils worldwide as of December 12

by Anonymousreply 165December 14, 2019 1:15 PM

They could've benefited from two things: not marketing it on the basis of the George Michael. song and including male nudity from the asian guy. Those two things alone would've saved this movie.

by Anonymousreply 166December 14, 2019 1:24 PM

Male nudity from an Asian guy is of course the basis for all traditional Christmas movies. How could they have overlooked this?

by Anonymousreply 167December 14, 2019 2:31 PM

R166 with a budget of 25 mil n has made 86 mil in a month and 5 days so no it doesn’t need to be saved in any sense whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 168December 14, 2019 2:57 PM

R167 Hey, all I'm saying is A Christmas Story would've been a lot more interesting if we'd seen some peen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 14, 2019 3:38 PM

I would have settled for a nice butt shot.

by Anonymousreply 170December 15, 2019 4:57 AM

Emilia Clark and Last Christmas get a happy ending, thanks to foreign box office results.

[quote] Universal’s “Last Christmas,” a romantic comedy starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding, surpassed $100 million in global ticket sales. The milestone is a win for original fare, one that is especially impressive considering the movie was skewered by critics for its wacky twist ending.

[quote] After six weeks in theaters, “Last Christmas” has earned $34.4 million in North America, as well as $66.5 million from 64 foreign markets at the international box office. The film carries a $25 million price tag, meaning it should bring back a tidy sum for the studio. “Last Christmas” debuted in early November to $11.4 million and slowly chugged along at the domestic box office, staying in the top 10 for five consecutive weeks.

by Anonymousreply 171December 16, 2019 1:22 PM

Source:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2019 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!