Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

London suggestions?

I'm going to London, alone, next Friday for a few days, and welcome your ideas and suggestions. I have booked my plane ticket, but not my hotel. I'm debating between the Nadler in Covent Garden, or the Royal Garden in Kensington, or the Kimpton in Bloomsbury. Does anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

Also -- where must I eat? what must I do? what theater must I see? where must I go? I've been to London many times -- I lived there, briefly, when I was younger -- but I have not been back in 30 years.

I've got terminal cancer, and this will most likely be my last time getting away, so I'm hoping to make the most of the trip.

Thank you for your suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2021 3:59 PM

Welcome! Check Delfont Mackintosh website for theatre shows, there's plenty of good shows including Death Of A Salesman.

If you like the outdoors check out ant of The Royal Parks, Kew Gardens or the Thames River walk

History: The Victoria and Albert Museum, National Maritime Museum, John Soane Museum, The British Museum (including the famous Elgin Marbles)

Art: Tate Britain or Modern, National Gallery and Portrait Gallery

Get tickets to Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral. Take the train to Windsor Cadtle

Food: too much to chose from!

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2019 4:11 PM

This is so sad to hear OP. I hope you have a fabulous time. I'm back in London at the end of November and would have loved to spend some time with you and make your last trip unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2019 4:13 PM

OP - I hope you have a fantastic trip and enjoy yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2019 4:15 PM

National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery. I would second R1's recommendation for those 2 museums.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2019 4:16 PM

I hope you have a wonderful time, please ask if you want any more ideas or have a question x

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2019 4:23 PM

OP, I hope you have a wonderful trip. I love London, I was there last November on a solo trip and had a fabulous time. I’m going back again around Christmas.

The woman seated next to me on the plane recommended the Wallace Collection, a beautiful smaller museum in Marylebone. I was overwhelmed by the amazing collection of paintings, furniture and objets d’art. It wasn’t crowded and the building is very impressive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2019 4:48 PM

Oh yes, The Wallace Collection, near Marble Arch and Hyde Park is terrific. OP, what sorts of things do you like?

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2019 4:51 PM

Kensington Palace

Hyde Park

Take a ferry across the Thames over to Greenwich. Check out the Observatory if you are able to

Saatchi Gallery

Maybe a day trip out to the country, Cambridge perhaps

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2019 5:11 PM

I did a Jack the Ripper tour that was fun.

It was warmer though. It’s done at night.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2019 5:50 PM

Not sure about interiors, but the location of the Nadler is more central than the other two, meaning you can pretty much walk anywhere you want to go (theater, etc.) from there but it will be noisier.

There are a decent number of Londoners on here who will likely have excellent recommendations for you.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2019 5:57 PM

I rather enjoyed the iconic Royal Horseguards Hotel

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2019 6:16 PM

Do you have any friends to visit in London OP? Do you also go to bars?

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2019 6:27 PM

The Horseshoe in Hampstead is someplace I'd recommend for lunch.

The food was good when I had lunch there in 2008. Hampstead's a lovely place for a visit. Enjoy yourself. Take black cabs to treat yourself, forget the mini cabs.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2019 6:38 PM

If you want to do tourist stuff, wake up early. A lot of "the sites" close around 5.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2019 6:40 PM

If you want a nice meal out but feel self-conscious going to restaurants alone, go to one where you can sit at a long bar/counter with other people. Look at the Palomar, Bancone or Barrafina. They are all very good, and central, so might be good for a pre-theatre meal.

As for hotel locations, I would say Covent Garden, or Bloomsbury, but not Kensington. I mean, Kensington is fine of course but I just think Covent Garden is more convenient because you can so easily walk around to different areas from there.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2019 6:49 PM

R13 is right about the Horseshoe, but actually if you go to Hampstead I would also suggest you walk two minutes up the hill to another pub, the Holly Bush. Especially in November, as it’s a very cosy inside. It does food but it’s worth it just for a drink too.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2019 7:00 PM

I go to London several times each year. Here are my suggestions:

If you can still get tickets for when you're there, the Saatchi Gallery is now hosting the Tutankhamun exhibit, located a few blocks from Sloane Square. You buy tickets online for specific viewing times.

If you stay at the Ritz you can pop over next door for tea at the Wolseley. Or visit Fortnum & Mason for tea where you can also find a store full of unique gifts. Also located on Picadilly.

Do not waste your time on the London Eye. You can get a nice view of the city from the Shard or the Sky Garden.

Kensington Palace has probably been updated since you've been there. Well worth the visit.

Tower of London is worth a visit if only you see the Crown Jewels. Skip the rest of the tour and get in line. You ride moving walkways so you can see the jewels. I generally make two passes around. Next to the Tower of London is Tower Bridge and you can take an elevator up to a viewing platform complete with a see-through floor and watch the traffic below.

St. Paul's exterior and interior have been cleaned since you've been in London. No longer black and dreary. Well worth a walk through. If you arrive in late afternoon you can stay for Evensong and listen to the choir and the organ.

R16 mentioned Hampstead. Great place for Sunday brunch. Though a bit of a ride from central London. I know you don't have many days to tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2019 7:08 PM

OP if you’re there on a Thursday head down to Covent Garden for Carradine’s Cokney Sing Along at Mr Foggs Tavern on St Martin’s Lane. Every Thursday Tom Carradine plays the piano while everybody in the bar can sing along to old music hall classics. It’s great fun even if you don’t want to sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2019 7:10 PM

Rules Restaurant in Covent Garden. (London's oldest restaurant.) It's been a long time since I've been there. Interiors are rich-looking. Food was surprisingly good. Downton Abbey was filmed in there once or twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2019 7:18 PM

R18 sounds great! My recommendation would be an evening at the Royal Ballet in Covent Garden. The company is superb and the Royal Opera House is a great venue. Sit in the amphitheater and enjoy the upstairs bar and balcony overlooking the piazza. You can buy food there either from the bar or their restaurant (dishes between the acts). I don't know what will be performed during your stay but please just go! And not Kensington. Have a great trip OP.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2019 7:18 PM

Another vote for Rules. Have the best bacon butty in the world at St. John Bread and Wine in Spitalfields. They do a nice serving of tea, too. Go to Borough Market and have barbecued scallops on the half shell and raclette. I stayed in a deluxe balcony room at the Apex City of London hotel two years ago and it was heaven. I hope you enjoy your visit, OP and godspeed.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2019 7:26 PM

The Tate Gallery is wonderful OP... the one in Pimlico not the modern. The Vauxhall Tavern has a nice drag show on Sunday Afternoons. Wish you all the very best for your trip. Lots of love X

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2019 7:29 PM

Believe it or not, we've always been warmly welcomed and had a great time at The Ivy--before or after visiting a production in the West End, or as a stand alone dinner.

Please look into a concert at Wigmore Hall--exquisite, intimate setting--020 7935 2141.

So sorry to hear that you may be saying happy trails soon--sending warm wishes & many hugs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2019 7:33 PM

You need to see the Tower if you get a chance. There's over 1,000 years of history, the Royal Armory, and the Crown Jewels to take in there. Hampton Court Palace is also interesting.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2019 7:45 PM

Oh...and Westminister Abbey is a must-see destination in London.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2019 7:47 PM

Harvey Nic's for brunch and then a bit of a shop.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2019 7:49 PM

There are a couple of Black Cab apps that I use now that compete with Uber. I like supporting the local drivers. One is called FreeNow and I recommend it. Especially when it’s raining and you’re not in a high traffic area.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2019 7:52 PM

Best thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2019 7:57 PM

OP here. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I should have been more specific about the sorts of things I like, but a lot of the recommendations have been pretty great. I am a professional artist, so I plan on spending a good deal of time in museums. The Tate Modern and the National Portrait Gallery are must-sees for me. I was unaware of the Wallace, and it sounds lovely. I will check that out, too. Is there a particular area or street that has a good number of modern/contemporary art galleries worth seeing?

Given that I lived in London in my early 20's and have been back many times -- although not in 30 years -- I have already seen the parks, and the Tower, and House of Parliament, et al, so don't feel the need to see them again. I tend to be more interested in cultural activities and architecture. I love interesting theater, so I might go see The Watsons, although the final night is the night I arrive, and I fear I might be too jet lagged to sit through a show the same day I get there; I will play that by ear. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm tempted to see & Juliet, the Max Martin jukebox musical, although it is generally well outside the type of thing I usually like; I don't care for broad entertainment, but that sounds over the top enough to be amusing. I do not go to bars or clubs. My idea of a good time is to spend hours in a decent coffee shop, reading and watching people, or wandering around and looking at interesting modern buildings.

As far as food: I can no longer eat solid food -- everything has to be pureed -- which will be limiting. I assume that the higher-end restaurants would be more likely accommodate my needs. I would love to go to Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, although it will probably be foolish to spend that kind of money if they have to puree everything for me to eat.

Thank you for the suggestions!!!

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2019 8:01 PM

All of these suggestions are so touristy. Stay at the Soho Hotel or The Charlotte Street or go east toward Hackney/Shoreditch. See what's on at the Soho Theatre. The new Annie Baker is on at The National Theatre. Going solo means you have a good shot at day seats or a last minute ticket if you just show up. Download the Today Tix app for up to date info. Here's a list of things I love in no order and without explanation. Columbia Rd Flower Market, Borough Market, Rich Mix in Shoreditch, BSMT Space gallery, Indian Food from The Tiffin Tin (multiple locations and YES, it's true. It's take away and it's incredible.) There's a Hamilton lottery and (I think) day seats. Try your luck and see King George play to his hometown. The BBC website has info about watching a show tape live. Shop at Liberty of London. Buy one thing made of their outrageous cotton lawn. Comedy in Camden at either The Bill Murray or The Camden Comedy Club. Sometimes rising stars, sometimes shite. The website Londonist has daily updates and "things to do." Buy an unlimited Oyster Card. Take the bus if you're not in a hurry and see the city go by. Another good app: Citymapper. Go to Broadway Market on Saturday in Hackney. It's stupidly overpriced, but wonderful. Read the bulletin board inside the cafe L'eau a la Bouche and see if anything interests you (actually read bulletin boards in any good coffee shop/cafe you find.) Buy lunch and sit in nearby London Fields. There are parks everywhere. London's urban green space is unrivaled. Always walk through them rather than around. Bon Voyage.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2019 8:03 PM

OP I'd be happy to go around Tate Modern with you. You can go to the top (10th) floor and get a great view over the Thames. What art do you like?

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2019 8:09 PM

Since you are interested in art & architecture, OP, I recommend visiting Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields, Holborn. A fascinating building and an interesting collection.

Currently, they are having an exhibition of all 56 paintings and engravings of Hogarth's "Modern Moral Subjects" series, including "A Rake's Progress" and "Marriage A-la-Mode".

Admission is free, but booking for an entry time slot must be made in advance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2019 9:17 PM

Hi OP, R30 here. I missed your reply which came in just as I posted. I recommend the gallery scenes in Shoreditch and (day trip!) Margate (where lots of artists have moved b/c London is expensive.)

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2019 9:22 PM

OP, so sorry to hear about your situation. Wishing you all the best.

London is a great city for art galleries. In addition to those mentioned, I would highly recommend the V&A in Kensington, which is a beautiful building as well as having a great collection, it has a lot of older artworks but some contemporary art and design too, and it also has a beautifully decorated cafe inside where you can get coffee. In terms of current exhibitions of modern art, the National Portrait Gallery is hosting a show of Lucian Freud's self portraits at the moment, and there is a Gauguin show at the National Gallery. There is also an interesting exhibition about the way contemporary artists have interacted with cafe and club culture at the Barbican right now, which includes modern artworks that were originally designed to decorate notable 20th century venues. Also, if you are interested in immersive shows/experiences, the National Gallery will be holding an immersive exhibition of Leonardo's The Virgin of the Rocks during the time you are in London.

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2019 12:39 AM

R34 here again, just realised I got the wrong venue for the Lucian Freud show, it is actually at the Royal Academy. But there is lots to see at the National Portrait Gallery too. Areas with a lot of contemporary art galleries include Mayfair in the West End, where there are several along Cork Street (which is also near the Royal Academy).

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2019 1:12 AM

Yes to John Soane's Museum across from Lincoln's Inn Fields. Also any department at the V&A and tea in the stained glass cafe. The ice skating begins 13 November at Somerset House, and then you could walk along the Victoria Embankment Gardens.

Get that hotel and car pickup booked already -- love you Brian.

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2019 1:21 AM

I recommend Dennis Sever’s house in Spitalfields. It’s pretty extraordinary. The Dickens Museum is worth a visit. A great cafe is the London Review of Books Cafe. I love it and go there often. I posted elsewhere that the new play Touching the Void is supposed to be incredible. There are some great Architecture walking tours that might be worth your while. Plus Borough Market is a kick.

I’d also recommend staying in Covent Garden or Bloomsbury. They’re so central and if you get tired, it will be easy to get back after being out and about.

I’m so sorry to hear about your health. Fucking cancer. Fuck cancer. I hope every minute you’re here will be full of happy times and memories. I’ll be thinking of you.

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2019 1:35 AM

OP here. I saw a listing online for Touching the Void, but didn't pay much mind to it, because I read and did not love the book it is based on. After your recommendation, though, I googled some reviews, and it sounds fantastic! I also will most likely see the Freud exhibit at the RA. I have never seen one of his paintings in person, and look forward to that. I will probably spend more time at the Tate Modern, since my favorite artists tend to be along the lines of Hockney, Warhol, Avery, Basquiat, Twombly, and the pop masters, but all good art is worth investigating. Thank you for all the recommendations. They are incredibly helpful, and pointing me towards things I might otherwise not have thought to explore.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2019 2:09 PM

R15 - You can't be serious in suggesting OP might feel uncomfortable dining alone...OP travels abroad on his/her own.

Have a wonderful time in London, OP. Don't give up, you may be able to take more trips over time; I certainly hope you will.

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2019 3:28 PM

OP here again. Yes, R39, I never feel uncomfortable on my own. I've done most of my traveling by myself -- including a trip to St Petersburg -- and love the freedom that solo traveling allows. While it is sometimes nice to share a moment with a friend, I think traveling alone is glorious.

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2019 5:59 PM

Hello OPB, glad to see you're really invested in going to London. I have nothing to add but good will and hugs. Mayhap you'll post pictures of your travels on IG? i would love to see London through your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2019 9:03 PM

Get some good chav cock over there, or a nice horny barrister!

Kidding (but not). Wishing you well. Enjoy the trip!

by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2019 9:17 PM

Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2019 9:36 PM

OP when do you get here? Are you a man or woman?

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2019 2:17 PM

I'm a 62-year old man. I leave this Friday.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2019 2:51 PM

I want to cuddle you OP, here in London

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2019 2:56 PM

Aw, thanks R46. I'm now debating between staying at the Nadler Covent Garden or the Kimpton in Bloomsbury. The Nadler seems better-located -- and thank you to a previous poster who suggested it -- but I love to sit in lobbies with a book and watch people, which the Kimpton seems better-suited for. I know London well-enough, but just can't place that Bloomsbury location. What would Londoners on here suggest in the $250-300 ish range? Or have I overlooked a hotel I should consider? Thank you for all the good wishes and excellent suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2019 3:05 PM

OP again -- I forgot to mention that the Hotel Indigo in Leicester Square is also in the mix. I plan to book the hotel on Monday, so I will decide then. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2019 3:11 PM

I read a suggestion which I thought was good: to take anti-bacterial wipes with you when you travel and wipe down surfaces such as arm rests and table on the plane, etc.

Hope everything goes well. I do like to travel at this time of year. Transport and tourist attractions are generally quieter, and old-fashioned hotels and bars can feel very cozy and relaxing when it's dark outside and there's an open fire (if you're lucky).

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2019 3:17 PM

[quote]OP again -- I forgot to mention that the Hotel Indigo in Leicester Square is also in the mix. I plan to book the hotel on Monday, so I will decide then. Thank you!

Leicester Square is AWFUL. Tacky and dirty and full of the crappiest people. Only stay there if you have an especially good deal. The Covent Garden option sounded best.

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2019 3:28 PM

Yes, R49. I know my immune system is most likely compromised because of the chemo, so I will be extra-diligent to sanitize the areas around me.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2019 3:34 PM

OP, I don't know anyone who has stayed at the Kimpton since it was renovated but the area is good. It's opposite Russel Square, not far from Lambs Conduit which has a few decent places to eat plus all the menswear shops. Noble Rot is very nice and there are a lot of new Asian places that have opened further down on Red Lion Street.

I haven't been in but L'Oscar looks gorgeous from the outside or if you want a busy hotel halfway between the Kimpton and Nadler what about the Hoxton, Holborn?

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2019 3:36 PM

Leicester Sq can be a bit noisy. Try booking.com. You can select your price range and distance from centre.

Do you like older art? I'm planning to go to The John Soane museum to see the exhibition of the collected works of William Hogarth. Maybe you'd like to come along?

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2019 3:37 PM

The Hotel Russell at Russell Sq is refurbished, lost of activity on the square. Close to Covent Garden and British Museum.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2019 3:42 PM

My favorite London hotels:

One Aldwych

The Goring

Charlotte Street Hotel

The Academy

The Zetter Townhouse in Marylebone

The Laslett in Notting Hill

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2019 4:41 PM

What about recommendations for dark back rooms and cottaging?

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2019 4:46 PM

OP here. I jumped the gun and booked the Kimpton. Thanks for the recommendations, and thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I'm looking forward to what will most likely be my last trip.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2019 2:51 AM

I just checked out the hotel OP and I hope you did not book a single room. This room is rather sad with that tiny bed for £300 per night.

The hotel looks nice and the rooms are lovely, but they are all relatively small for this price range. For £300-400 a night, I would expect a lot more space. Most of the rooms I looked at are only 160-200 sq ft.

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2019 9:53 AM

Wow that was the hotel I suggested as The Hotel Russell! I had no idea that was its name. I used to work closeby and thought it looked very stately!

OP have you read "The Swimming Pool Library"? I assumed this was the hotel the author had in mind for where Phil works.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2019 10:20 AM

Hampstead is beautiful. Walk across the Heath and sit on one of the benches atop Parliament Hill, overlooking the city, then walk down and stroll past the Victorian men's bathing pond.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2019 10:25 AM

Is Touching the Void based off the book of the same name, by Joe Simpson, the mountaineer? Excellent book.

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2019 10:30 AM

OP here. I booked a larger room, R58. The single did seem a tad small. The lobbies look so wondrous, though, that I presume I will spend most of my time sitting there. And, yes, Touching the Void is based on the book. I can't imagine a play based on it, but the reviews have been excellent. It appears that it is not a literal telling of the book, and the staging is more avant-garde than representative, which could be interesting. And I did read the Swimming Pool Library, but have forgotten everything about it! Perhaps it might be the book to read on my flight over there. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and feedback!

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2019 10:52 AM

Check out St martins in the fields, Trafalgar Square. ( near the National Gallery ) They do regular classical concerts by candlelight in the winter. Also some great concerts on at St. John’s Smith Square. Ditto Wigmore Hall - amazing acoustic .

I am so sorry to hear of your situation, O P. All the best.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2019 10:56 AM

The Kimpton is by Russell Square. Corams Fields and Brunswick shopping center are nearby, plus green space on the way to the British Museum.

--Montague on the Gardens also in Bloomsbury

--Marylebone Hotel, more central to Soho

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2019 11:02 AM

Whoops, you booked already. Congrats. I love Bloomsbury.

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2019 11:05 AM

Practical suggestions -for the big museums like the BM , V&A, Tate Modern, National Gallery, go early (10-12), to avoid ridiculous crowds. Don't go there if it's raining, which is what everyone does. Do the smaller, more niche museums then - Soane, Foundlings Museum, Handel House, even Tate Britain. The Dulwich Picture Gallery is a little gem, just a short train ride. If it's a sunny day (not impossible, even in November - it's bright today), think about the Chelsea Physick Garden, along with the Royal Hospital Chelsea. A bit further afield, Hampton Court and Windsor are both wonderful, though, like the Tower and the big museums, I'd say aim earlier rather than peak visiting hours..

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2019 11:11 AM

It's nice and bright here in London, OP. We are looking forward to your arrival!

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2019 11:59 AM

Totally irrelevant but was just thinking a side trip to the Cotswolds would have been lovely too, OP. Talk about "atmosphere...." My parents used to go there every time they visited U.K. in the 70s. Not much has changed it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2019 1:12 PM

I visit the John Soane house whenever I'm in London. It's fantastic, nothing like it anywhere in the world.

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2019 1:24 PM

OP here. I was unfamiliar with the Soane House, but it does look fantastic and well worth a visit. Thank you for the heads up I do love the Cotswolds, R68, but, regrettably, I'm not going to be in London long enough to make long excursions. Thanks for the recommendations. You all have added greatly to my itinerary.

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2019 2:39 PM

OP I just got back from The John Soane Museum, excellent collection of William Hogarth - a rare event where his work can be seen in one place. Well worth seeing. Please book a timed ticket the day before (for free) - meaning you won't have to queue in a long line outside, like I did!

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2019 5:30 PM

[quote]OP here. I jumped the gun and booked the Kimpton.

No, dear, you "pulled the trigger." "Jumped the gun" means you started before you were supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2019 8:13 PM

Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath, The Flask pub in Highgate for lunch, Regents Park to see the exotic wild fowl.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2019 9:45 PM

OPB, are you okay eating foods that are naturally smooth, like quiche and mousse au chocolat? Might be fun to find a place that has those items and just go "stealth" for a change. :) I hope you have a wonderful time and excellent weather. xxoo

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2019 9:55 PM

I pulled the tigger AND jumped the gun, because I wasn't planning on booking the hotel until Monday! And, yes, R74, it would be wonderful to just eat something off the menu, but I have not been able to do that for most of my life. I'm a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, and most mousse and puddings have gelatin in them, which I do not eat. Restaurants now on both sides of the pond will hate to see me coming!

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2019 10:11 PM

I thought chocolate mousse was only cream-based. Oh, well! Ice cream and tea at Fortnum's? :) ANd soups, of course.

I respect your sticking to your principles even in illness. <3 Have you emailed ahead to any restaurants, or perhaps to your hotel concierge for help arranging meals?

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2019 10:17 PM

Sadly mousse will have either gelatin or eggs in it, so OP won't be able to eat those, but it might be possible to find some good pudding without that. Emailing restaurants in advance is a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2019 10:23 PM

Apparently there's a vegan chain called Pure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2019 10:24 PM

How is your sense of taste, OPB? There's another placed called VeganYes in Shoreditch.

I'm looking for places that have smooth food on their menus, or things that could easily be made smoother, like the Healthy Potato dish at VeganYes. I'm not up on current sites to see in London, but I am a mother hen about food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2019 10:29 PM

And this looks promising, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2019 10:31 PM

Dammit, I can't believe I spelled "sights" "sites."

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2019 10:34 PM

Not a museum but a hotel - Goring Hotel is one place I'd go for tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2019 10:35 PM

That is an extremely wide man behind Brenda in R82's pic!

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2019 10:37 PM

Most mousse and puddings -- and cheesecake! -- use gelatin to set. I can't swallow thin liquids like water or broth because I can't control the flow of liquid, and I run the risk of aspirating. I need a feeding tube for anything that is not the consistency of, say, mashed potatoes. It is a hassle and limits what I am able to eat, but there is nothing I can do about it, and, thankfully, I get most of my nutrition from liquid supplements that go down the feeding tube. My limitations are not something I would wish on anyone, and they do, indeed, make day to day living difficult. I know it will make traveling inconvenient and harder than it would otherwise be. I have, indeed, emailed a few restaurants to see if they would be willing to accommodate me, and some have replied that they would be happy to. I suspect that the better kitchen would rise to a challenge, whereas the more mainstream ones will probably just send out mashed potatoes and curse the American who just can’t eat off the menu. I get it. What kitchen really wants to deal with someone like me? I will be thankful for all those who are willing to accommodate me. And, wow, Vanilla Black's menu looks amazing!

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2019 10:40 PM

Hey Brian, in Bloomsbury there's an art performance venue called The Horse Hospital. It's the only existing purpose-built horse stable remaining for public view in London, which is interesting enough, plus there's some kind of event going on the 15th.

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2019 10:43 PM

Don't go to London Bridge. I hear it's falling down.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2019 10:53 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2019 11:07 PM

We stayed at the St. Ermin’s the last time we were in London, and We loved it. It’s an easy walk to Buckingham Palace and the mall/St James park.

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2019 11:10 PM

London is a depressing place these days. Go to some of the sights in England like Stratford for Shakespeare or Bath for beauty.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2019 11:44 PM

Walk everywhere, take buses when you cannot or if it's inconvenient. There are very, very few museums that will be a waste of time so you're covered there. Buy timed tickets if possible. See something organic in the West End or at a fringe theater, not something that you can see if 30 cities around the world. Buy something really nice at Harvey Nichols. Sit by the Serpentine in the morning for a coffee. Have lunch at Burger & Lobster ($$$). Tube staff are remarkably friendly, bus drivers less so, but the Tube can be nightmarish. Sit in a train station and watch them come and go. Soho will give you a chance to chat with open and friendly eldergays who like to drink during the day. Hatchard's & Waterstones are must-see bookstores, and Jermyn Street is a great place to shop.

by Anonymousreply 90November 11, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote] Sit in a train station and watch them come and go.

OP is dying of cancer alas, but watching them come and go in a train might kill him by ennui earlier (if that's what he wants).

by Anonymousreply 91November 11, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote] Hatchard's & Waterstones are must-see bookstores.

No they're not. They're like B&N.

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2019 12:30 AM

Wait til Brexit is over. The Brits are going nuts what with their knife and acid crime.

by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2019 12:36 AM

Simply take a walk through Clerkenwell around 5:30pm when people are getting out of work and the pubs are filling up. The energy, to me at least, is life-affirming.

I second a trip to Cambridge. My best friend graduated from there and he's taken us on marvelous tours. The campus is just...stunning.

Sending you the warmest of well-wishes and hope for the loveliest of trips. You sound like a wonderful person.

by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2019 1:20 AM

Drinks at the American Bar at the Savoy, just for atmosphere. (Actually, the whole damn Savoy. It's the best of the grande dame hotels in London in my view.).

Drinks at Gordon's Wine Bar (well, in it, underground) at 47 Villiers Street. Marvellous cavernous candle lit space.

by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2019 1:41 AM

There are plenty of Indian restaurants for vegetarian dishes.

by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2019 3:53 AM

OP, can you drink alcohol, coffee, tea?

by Anonymousreply 97November 11, 2019 3:56 AM

No, I can not drink anything at all. I can only swallow things if it is the consistency of mashed potatoes. It frustrates me that I can't even drink a glass of water! It is not a good way to live.

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2019 4:03 AM

OK, good to know. The focus can be away from drinks and hard foods. I had a really good carrot puree dish at Rules. I looked at the menu and it's not listed any more. They do have creamed leeks. I just think Rules has a very cool atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2019 4:32 AM

Hope you are having fun? Everyone be kind, it might be OP.

Bon Voyage!

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2019 4:35 AM

Rules looks fantastic, and is close to where I am staying. Although I can't eat most of their food, they have enough pureed vegetables to keep me happy. I fully expect that most of my meals will be the liquid supplements I am taking with me, but I hope to have a meal or two a day at a restaurant, because I love restaurant environments. Does anyone have their favorites they can recommend? I'm staying in Russel Square but certainly don't mind traveling for a good meal. Im tempted to go to Gordon Ramsey, although I know it will be overpriced for what I will be able to eat there. Are there other must-see restaurants? And you all have bene so fantastic at helping me plan my trip. You have proven to be an invaluable resource, and I thank you for that. You are all too kind to help a stranger. I do regret that coffee and tea are off limits to me, but I avail myself to , say, a cream desert at some of those places.

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2019 6:10 AM

[QUOTE] There are plenty of Indian restaurants for vegetarian dishes.

Op can't digest anything unless it's a liquid/smoothie consistency so lobsters, rice and burgers are silly suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2019 8:24 AM

[QUOTE] Hatchard's & Waterstones are must-see bookstores.

These are chain bookshops and most Waterstones have closed. Foyles is the unique one, on the Charing Cross Road.

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2019 8:27 AM

Simpson's in the Strand has become a tourist trap, price wise, but it's a damned atmospheric tourist trap. Roast, in Borough Market, is modern but great.

If I were you, OP, and there's somewhere you really want to go, email and see what they can do to accommodate your situation. You might be surprised. A good chef, even a decent cook, welcomes the opportunity to try something other than the usual.

by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2019 11:23 AM

Enjoy London OP.

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2019 12:27 PM

Another vote for Rules. I am sure they would be happy to help. It’s a great experience and the service is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2019 12:41 PM

Yet another mention for the John Soane Museum. Awesome modestly grand house; breathtaking artefacts, so meticulously displayed; and the Hogarth series of paintings are a detailed joy.

It's all absorbing, but not overwhelming - spellbinding, in fact. Be sure to book your (free) slot online - they were quite strict about timings when I went. Also, there's the charm of the park opposite the Museum. Thus, a gem of a London experience.

The Freud exhibition at the RA is also well worth seeing. Again not too extensive an option, but an excellent focused overview of his extraordinary work.

If you're staying in Russell Square, you might like to visit the wonderful long-surviving bookshop which is 'Gay's The Word', on Marchmont Street.

Wishing you the best possible time OP.

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2019 1:58 PM

OP here. there are so many recommendations for the Soane Museum. I will definitely take it in. And Rules! I love the modern hip restaurants, but also have a weak spot for the old world establishments. It sounds wonderful. I did email Restaurant Gordon Ramsey, and they assured me that they would be happy to accommodate me. I once waited tables at a few high-end restaurants, and recognize that some chefs like a challenge and the chance to cook something off-menu. I will just be certain to go out to eat during off-times, when they are not busy. I would not want to throw a restaurant a curve ball when they are busy with a full dining room. That wouldn't be fair to them. You all have such great suggestions, and I am very thankful for them.

by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2019 4:27 PM

You sound so lovely OP. I hope your trip is everything you wish for.

If you are bitten by the Soane bug, you might enjoy a visit to the Museum at the Bank of England - it’s main hall is a fabulous replica of the Soane domed banking hall.

by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2019 4:36 PM

Its not it’s. Mention of Marchmont St brings back memories. I lived a few streets away years ago, other side of the Brunswick Centre...

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2019 4:49 PM

I just looked at Gordon Ramsay's vegetarian menu. Not much on there: heirloom carrot, charred brassicas (mustard family), "hen's egg," and organic spelt. OP doesn't eat eggs, so there's even less.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2019 6:36 PM

Claridges if you don't have family in town in the season, and if you do stay at the Goring for convenience. I prefer the latter because I know so many people in that part of Westminster, plus it's less hectic.

Or you could just stay at the Royal Marsden. It's my favorite cancer hospital in London.

Dine in. Conserve your strength for the garden tours. Or, if you won't last until spring, eat plenty of India in Mayfair. Gymkhana for fun and Veeraswamy for atmosphere. The latter was my father's favorite restaurant in the west London area after Johnny's Fish and Chips under Westminster Bridge closed.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2019 6:53 PM

OP I'd love to show you around The Wallace Collection. I'm afraid I don't know that many great restaurants to recommend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2019 8:48 PM

As mentioned above, the park across the road from Soane's Museum is Lincoln's Inn Fields, another favorite green space in London. I happened to have been there on a warm day this past May at lunchtime, and every blade of grass was occupied by the workers who streamed down from their offices. Quite a sight. The central area is ringed with big deep benches -- have a sit down for me if you can (hope you see the sun on your trip).

by Anonymousreply 114November 12, 2019 1:13 AM

Thank you, OP for starting this thread and I hope your trip is wonderful. I'm planning a 3 week long trip to London in April next year, and I love everyone's recomendations.

by Anonymousreply 115November 12, 2019 1:16 AM

'Dine in. Conserve your strength for the garden tours. Or, if you won't last until spring,'

He's there for five days. But, Brian, if you want to see the Mediterranean one last time, you could board a cheap Easy Jet flight (as cheap as 20 pounds one way this time of year) to Mallorca and gaze upon the turquoise ocean.

by Anonymousreply 116November 12, 2019 1:27 AM

I don't know why people here think the royal family spend Christmas together? Do you all spend the whole of Christmas with your brother, father and grandparents? I don't think M and H are that bothered about TQ so why would they want to spend time with her? Same goes for Charles and William. Maybe an afternoon visit over Christmas and that will be it.

by Anonymousreply 117November 12, 2019 1:31 AM

If you're there in April find a bluebell wood. An unforgettable sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 12, 2019 1:57 AM

What about recommendations for public gardens? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 119November 12, 2019 2:19 AM

I'm struggling with all this garden chatter. OP is going this week. It's November. It'll be dark by four in the afternoon.

in decent weather Kew, Queen Mary's rose garden at Regent's Park and the Savill Gardens out at Windsor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 12, 2019 2:27 AM

The gardens aren't up to much this time of year. You might see some late Autumn foliage but the best of the flowers have gone. Kew Gardens will still have plenty in the conservatories to look at. It's around 7-9c max in the day at the moment. Much colder than usual for the time of year here.

by Anonymousreply 121November 12, 2019 2:31 AM

One thing I forgot to suggest is Churchill's War Rooms. Inexplicably they are really terrific. I am also a fan of all London Was except the Ripper walk because it is over subscribed. They also do good guided tours of some major museums. I learned a lot at the National Gallery on a guided walk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 12, 2019 2:35 AM

Hope you are enjoying your trip, OPB.

by Anonymousreply 123November 12, 2019 2:37 AM

How about the Whitechapel gallery for contemporary art, or the ICA?

Second the recommendation for Hampton Court Palace.

Not suitable for OP but for others: great Indian food around the Brick Lane area.

have a great trip!

by Anonymousreply 124November 12, 2019 2:42 AM

I just remembered. Stay away from The Colherne in Earl's Court! Unless you want pink twink stink to linger on your soles for weeks! In 1996 it was a respectable gay pub, kind of a bearish atmos. I went back in 2008; the lights were so bright I thought I was at The Spanish Inquisition (although they didn't have electricity) and it was quiz night. I mean it was so bright I thought some Royal Cleanliness Inspector was coming. Just a bit of a let down. Everybody was very nice... I just enjoyed the funky feel it previously had. But I understand autre temps, autre moeurs...

by Anonymousreply 125November 12, 2019 3:33 AM

OP, are you up for nightlife? What about Heaven nightclub?

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2019 4:02 AM

I thought all the old gay bars closed down? Heaven, Colherne, etc. Thought there was nothing left of the good ole Londaon gay nightlife.

by Anonymousreply 127November 12, 2019 4:17 AM

OP here. No, I am not into night life or bars. I haven't been in a bar in probably 20 years. Plus, I can't drink anything in a normal way. I haven't put alcohol in my feeding tube yet; I wonder what that would do! To make matters worse -- and something that I have not previously disclosed -- is that when the cancer was first discovered, they removed a majority of my tongue and rebuilt it using tissues from my arm , so, although I can speak with enough articulation to be understood, I'm self-conscious about the way I sound, and it is not likely that I will open my mouth to speak to anyone unless I need to. Engaging in small talk or chatting up a person sitting next to me at a bar is not something I would be comfortable doing. As it is, I go days and days without talking to anyone, and I suspect it will be the same on my trip.

by Anonymousreply 128November 12, 2019 4:28 AM

R127, Heaven is still there and doing good business under the arches.

by Anonymousreply 129November 12, 2019 4:55 AM

The boat trip to/from Greenwich is worth it and there's lots to see and do there.

by Anonymousreply 130November 12, 2019 5:03 AM

R130, I second the boat trip.

by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2019 5:16 AM

Totally understandable, OP r128. I would just say to try not to sequester yourself too much in the hotel room. You just never know who you'll run into at these pubs. I find the English (correct term?) and Irish can be absolutely the most charming and entertaining people you will ever meet and they can be exceptionally understanding and empathetic. You never know .....you may find kindred spirits in your travels.

by Anonymousreply 132November 12, 2019 8:08 PM

London is the Spaz Troll's stomping ground, so watch out for him.

by Anonymousreply 133November 12, 2019 11:16 PM

Hope you have a safe trip tomorrow, OP. If you run into any trouble, post on here and I’ll try to help! Have a really fun time! I’ll be thinking of you.

by Anonymousreply 134November 14, 2019 8:13 PM

Safe travels tomorrow OP (envy envy) :)

by Anonymousreply 135November 14, 2019 8:34 PM

Bon Voyage! Have fun! Everyone in London/UK be nice bc OPB is in the house.

by Anonymousreply 136November 15, 2019 12:50 AM

Greetings from London! If you need anything just post here X

by Anonymousreply 137November 15, 2019 5:04 AM

Hope your flight is uneventful and am thinking about a lovely autumn day in London for you, OPB.

by Anonymousreply 138November 15, 2019 9:46 PM

I need to know OP if you flew first class, business or economy if this is possibly your last trip. Also saw that it's quite cold in the UK right now. Maybe do a spa day and go to a bathhouse/hot tub and get a massage after your sightseeing.

by Anonymousreply 139November 15, 2019 9:52 PM

It pissed down in London today, but the next few days look decent enough, if not warm.

by Anonymousreply 140November 15, 2019 9:58 PM

London has had so MUCH rain since the end of September really. October and November are often mild months here with temps in the mid-high 60s but not this time.

by Anonymousreply 141November 16, 2019 12:19 AM

Hope you are enjoying your trip, OPB.

by Anonymousreply 142November 16, 2019 1:20 AM

To all of you lovely Londoners offering to help if needed, youre actually getting this old fat whore a little misty eyed ... truly its a brotherhood of man amongst the gays on this thread ...

by Anonymousreply 143November 16, 2019 1:21 AM

OPB, do keep us posted on what you're doing there!

by Anonymousreply 144November 16, 2019 3:08 AM

The Wallace Collection is lovely. The Nat'l Portrait Gallery is a must. Even solo, an Afternoon Tea is fun. For one in a store Fortnum & Mason is fine. You must spend a day in the Tate Modern. No matter your looks, cruise a bit …. down Earl's Court go to walk the Brompton Cemetery. The Saatchi Gallery can be thrilling. Too, just walk through John Lewis. I go kitchen-crazy in Debenham's, Oxford Street. Go to the Silver Vaults. There's art in flatware. John Soane's Museum Just so you can say you've done it, go to the Cafe Diana, Bayswater Road. I like everything about Kensington Palace. Tea at The Goring Books at Foyles, Hatchard's & Waterstones The Italian Fountains in Kensington Park, then The Swan pub across on the Bayswater Road Tube to Angel, walk Islington,

by Anonymousreply 145November 16, 2019 3:31 AM

Regents Park, Camden Lock...northern line from Camden up to Hampstead. Take a cruise across Hampstead Heath, then catch the 214 bus up Highgate Hill to The Flask. Highgate Cemetery is well worth seeing, too.

by Anonymousreply 146November 16, 2019 4:31 AM

If OP left Friday, he's likely a bit jet lagged today, resting up for full day of sightseeing tomorrow. My guess.

by Anonymousreply 147November 16, 2019 4:20 PM

OP here. I got here this morning, and walked miles and miles around Covent Garden. I tried to get a table at both the Ivy and Rules at about 3 in the afternoon, and both were beyond packed. I found another restaurant across from Covent Garden, and they were kind enough to puree some vegetables for me, but, I fear, I am past the point now of even eating pureed food. I just can't do it. Tea and water are absolutely out of the question. That is somewhat distressing, because I love sitting in restaurants and coffee shops, but I just can't eat or drink anything anymore. I went to the Menier Chocolate Factory and got a turned in ticket for the closing night of The Watsons, a Pirendello-esque play that is transferring to the West End next year. It was quite good, but I am more than a little jet lagged. I was eager to get back to the hotel and to bed, which I am about to hit in a moment. The room is freezing. The heat is on all the way, but it is still cold. I had forgotten how cold London can be. Thanks for being with me on my trip!

by Anonymousreply 148November 16, 2019 10:14 PM

Hmmm OP, can you do IV vitamins and hydration at all? A lot of people will do it for post drinking hangover dehydration.

by Anonymousreply 149November 16, 2019 11:03 PM

You're jet lagged, OP. Get some rest. Can you get a heater and an electric blanket in your room? That sounds terrible, being cold in a hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 150November 16, 2019 11:13 PM

I paid for a private of the Churchill war rooms and it was pricey, but worth it. My time was limited and it would have taken half a day to go with the crowds. With the private tour you get to go before they open.

The suggestion of finding one of those hangover cure IV administering outfits is genius. Probably perk you up quite a bit. I think I’ve only seen them advertised in Vegas, but I bet you could find someone.

by Anonymousreply 151November 16, 2019 11:43 PM

Private clinics all along Harley Street will administer the vitamin IV.

Yes, London is colder than normal for November. Top temps here average at 13c at this time of year, but we've been hit with a run of 7c highs for a couple of weeks now. It looks like we're heading for a snowy winter, which Londoners welcome as it's so rare.

by Anonymousreply 152November 17, 2019 1:34 AM

So glad you're here safely OP. What's your plan for today. Luckily most of the galleries and museums open on a Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 153November 17, 2019 8:34 AM

I have nothing to add to this thread really, but I’ve been following it from the beginning and I really hope you have a fabulous trip, OP. Thank you for taking us along with you!

by Anonymousreply 154November 17, 2019 11:03 AM

Please stay warm OP. Hard to shake that damp cold when it gets into your bones....maybe a good long soak in a warm tub this evening when you return. Hope your day is full of adventures and delight seeing extraordinary art and entertainment!

by Anonymousreply 155November 17, 2019 11:10 AM

How exciting, Brian. You can still go to coffee shops -- nobody will notice you didn't drink that tea or whatever.

Every trip I have bad jetlag and a day where I don't want to do much. Reality bites. I hope you have a very nice trip and enjoy the feeling of being back in a familiar place. .

by Anonymousreply 156November 17, 2019 8:33 PM

I just realised I should have given the temps here in fahrenheit. It's usually in the 60s in November and at the moment it's in the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 157November 17, 2019 11:45 PM

How long is OPB staying in London, on this amazing trip. Hope you are having fun OPB!

by Anonymousreply 158November 18, 2019 1:56 AM

OPB is too busy to check in! I'm getting ready to exit Paris, and have been struggling a little in the rain and a bad knee. But it's so worth it no matter what, and I have adapted over the travel years. Love to OPB!

by Anonymousreply 159November 19, 2019 8:37 AM

lots of travels and adventures. Bon Voyage!

by Anonymousreply 160November 19, 2019 8:40 AM

What going on OP? No time for updates on your trip? I hope you're good and did not have a medical emergency.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2019 10:49 PM

The Op was there for five days only from Friday so he may be home again by now.

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2019 1:34 AM

He must be having fun. I am really happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2019 2:34 AM

OP here. I just got home! I missed my connecting flight last night, so had to spend the night in Philadelphia. That worked out well, though, Because I was able to get right to sleep, and then start fresh this morning. I don't think I will feel the effects of jet lag. At the worst, I have chemo all day tomorrow, and tend to sleep through that ordeal!

The trip was wonderful. I stayed at the Kimpton Fitzroy, on Russel Square, which was perfectly situated a short walk from Covent Garden. I went to the John Soames, Tate Modern, and Tate Britain Museums. I was looking forward to the Tate Modern, but was, regrettably, disappointed by it. I thought they would have more contemporary art than they did, but most of it was more conceptual than I prefer. It was still a delight, however, I did not care for the Tate Britain. They are having huge photography exhibit by the filmmaker Steve McQueen, in which he photographed British students, and the photographs took up a large number of the galleries, inducing the main hall. To make matters worse, the museum was FILLED with school kids, who, seemingly on cue, screamed in unison. The noise was deafening ,and filled the entire museum. It was like being in a boy band concert!

Traveling with my impairments was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but I pressed on, and I'm glad I did. It is, most likely, the last trip I will be able to take, and I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful suggestions and support and encouragement. It meant the world to me that you would all open your heart to a stranger. I hope you will all receive the kindness and thoughtfulness that you showed me. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2019 4:41 PM

Hi Brian! Thanks for the update, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip!

by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2019 6:29 PM

Hey Brian, Thanks for reporting back. If possible, please check back. I'd like to hear more about the hotel (Kimpton Fitzroy), the area, etc.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2019 8:39 PM

I am so glad you had a pleasant trip. I wish you the best. I know you are having a hard time and I hope everything gets easier for you and HAPPY TOO. You never know, life can get better. You are a warrior and a kind-hearted traveler. I am so happy that you shared you story and adventures with us.

Also, you are not a stranger. You are OP Brain, a DLer VIP and Favorite.

Love Sweetie.

Rest and Heal!

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Brian! I’m so happy to hear your trip was such a positive one, apart from those wretched children at Tate Britain (which seems to ALWAYS be filled with students). I kept checking on here to see if you needed anything, but I figured no news is good news!

Please keep posting here. I’ve followed your posts since the beginning and I care what happens to you and what you’re going through. I know many of us here do.

Glad you’re home safely. Catch up on some sleep!

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2019 9:47 PM

Hi Brian sweetheart, glad you enjoyed your time in my city. It was much colder than usual for the time of year -we even had a -2c night! Schoolkids can be a menace in galleries and museums.

by Anonymousreply 169November 22, 2019 1:15 AM

Brian, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you are now back at home. Thanks for letting us know.

by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2019 1:23 AM

R166. OP here! The Kimpton was excellent. It is a large, but feels like a boutique hotel. There is a restaurant on premises, the concierge seems to be there 24 hours, it is half a block away from the Russel Square underground station, and about a ten minute walk to Covent Garden. The area isn't as charming as, say, Belgravia with the delightful rows of houses, but it didn't feel as commercial and slick as it could have. The rooms are SMALL! I did not get the smallest of the single rooms -- I got the mid size -- but it was still staggeringly small. It had a queen size bed, and there was barely room for anything else. It had a single chair, a table, and an armoire. It was fairly sparsely furnished. If I were to go back to London -- and I hope that I will have occasion to, although I know I probably won't be able to -- I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2019 2:43 AM

Brian, so glad you had a wonderful trip! I cannot abide Tate Modern myself, what a waste of space! Did you get a chance to read The Swimming Pool Library again? I'm sure your hotel was the one Hollinghurst had in mind when writing. Please keep letting us know how you are. Much love

by Anonymousreply 172November 22, 2019 4:38 PM

I did not re-read the Swimming Pool Libray, R172. While it might have been a good idea to read it on the way over, I slept for the entirety of the flight! I read a lot -- at least a book a week -- but I don't read much fiction. I tend to read social theories or memoirs or collections of essays. My favorite author is Tim Kreider. He has two books of essays that are beyond amazing: "We Learned Nothing," and "I Wrote this Book Because I Love You. " The former is about the difficulties accepting responsibly for our lives as we get older, and the latter was about his relationships with various women in his life: his ex, his friends, his cat, etc. He straddles the line between heartbreak and humor, and is amazingly insightful. I recommend either book to anyone, He is beyond brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2019 3:32 PM

And a warm welcome back Brian! What a thrilling escapade you undertook there - I'm the one who signed off (envy envy) up thread and I do mean it. Of all the cities in the world, it is not perfect, it has issues, yes but I adore London. Never say you won't go back....life is crazy as well know too well. Hope you are settled back down now and catching up on some badly needed rest. As others have said, please keep us posted as we're all friends now I believe. Thanks for the info about Tim Kreider. I have noted this and will definitely follow up. Sounds like a very very interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 174November 23, 2019 4:53 PM

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone who has posted and/or read this very touching thread. Thinking of OP today and hoping for news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 24, 2019 9:06 PM

Happy Christmas OP and fellow posters!

by Anonymousreply 176December 24, 2019 9:11 PM

Merry Christmas OP Brian, and all the dlers here too!

by Anonymousreply 177December 26, 2019 1:30 AM

Hey r177 and those not aware - there's another thread that is **active** for Brian. This one seems to have gone dormant more or less. I came across the new thread by accident so thought you all should be made aware.

r175

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 26, 2019 9:00 PM

I know this thread is quiet but I found this while looking for suggestion regarding my summer 2021 trip to London (vaccine/COVID dependent). I did not expect to get sucked into a story about Brian and the beautiful DL souls supporting him through his troubles. I've read the thread linked by r179 and can't help but thank Brian for giving me a fresher perspective on life and my pending trip. I wasn't focused on the right things and need to take the time to sit back and enjoy my home, my friends, my life, my adopted DL family, and the places. I go.

I know this is corny and I'm no great writer, but I want Brian to know that he's touched me. Thank you, Brian. Add my love to the list of well wishers on DL. Apologies your other thread was already full.

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2021 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!