Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bitcoin

Can one of you smart people explain Bitcoin to me? How does it work? How can it operate with no central company or government behind it? Is it the payment wave of the future?

by Anonymousreply 205May 1, 2020 3:59 PM

It works by people using a shit ton of electricity to 'mine' it and then they sell it or use it like you would a currency. I loathe it because I care about green policies and because it's libertarian shit that's mostly used for drugs, trafficking, money laundering, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2019 5:30 PM

This is bitcoins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2019 5:31 PM

You'll want to know more when Muriel starts making you pay your access dues by Bitcon.

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2019 6:32 PM

I never understood what the whole deal about electricity and "mining" was about.

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2019 7:10 PM

The mining thing is just how bitcoin is created, meaning that no-one has the power to print it. Having said that, I think that if it got big enough, it would end up being mostly in the hands of a few, very rich people anyway - there are already bitcoin 'whales' who own a lot of it - wouldn't that be a form of centralised power anyway. Speaking of governments anyway, I think that if bitcoin got big enough, governments would have the power to regulate it anyway, because governments control the military, police and laws, which you can't get away from if you live under their jurisdiction.

A big problem with bitcoin is that transactions are very slow and cost more on top, which is why so few transactions are made with it aside from the black market. No consumer protections too. This is why it's never taken off for buying a coffee, paying for a bill or similar, because it's so inefficient and slow compared to Visa who can process millions of transactions per minute. Bitcoin can't even handle the transactions that a single average-sized supermarket processes every hour, everyone would be waiting for ages. Blockchain is unnecessary and is still like a solution without a problem.

If you lose or forget the password to access your bitcoin wallet or die without giving it to someone, that bitcoin is gone forever. There's the huge volatility of it which makes it not very useful - if you can't know whether it'll be worth four hundred dollars or a thousand dollars from this month to the next.. Most people seem to be buying it to speculate, to 'get rich quick', not to genuinely use it as a currency.

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2019 9:20 PM

This seems like a dumb hipster idea to me.

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2019 9:23 PM

IIRC, there was a large bitcoin repository in Japan. The other large one is in Europe. These are alternatives to keeping them on an iPhone or your personal computer that can die, or get lost, or broken, thus losing your money.

Someone hacked the Japanese repository a few years back, and stole all the bitcoins. All of them. It was the equivalent of millions of dollars, maybe billions, I’m not sure. Gone. The repository just declared bankruptcy. There was no insurance or recourse.

They didn’t hack the European repository, I think, because that might have essentially meant most bitcoins were stolen, and thus invalidating the currency.

I wish I bought in, early. I thought about it as a fun gamble. But no. I did not.

I think it’s used for illegal activity because it is not monitored. There’s no $10,000 limit on international transfers like there is with US dollars. I think other currencies have similar limits on such transfers or cash brought in/out of the country. So, it’s better for money laundering.

by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2019 9:38 PM

Pierre, it's funny because every time I read a story about how a repository was hacked and crypocurrency stolen, I wonder if it was an inside job. That kind of thing is going to be very hard to prove and there are plenty of those stories! It's basically like the Wild West out there. A lot of scammy stuff going on due to there being a lack of regulations unlike the stock market, say. The less said about Tether the better..

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2019 9:43 PM

Anyway, r5...

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2019 12:31 AM

Creepazoid Bryan Singer associate Brock Pierce is heavily involved with Bitcoin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2019 1:37 PM

A friend of mine flips some Bitcoin for income.

Sounds like speculating, though.

He's not getting rich from it since he also drives for Uber.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 12:10 AM

I still do not understand.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 12:04 PM

The “mining” business serves a few purposes, but it’s basically a computer program that people run, and after a while, all that effort of running the program produces a bitcoin, then they repeat the effort to get more. The longer the currency exists, the harder it is to get a bitcoin from the computer effort. Eventually it will stop issuing new coins. This keeps the currency “rare”, it’s worth “high”, and inflation low.

Think of it as IOUs that are widely accepted. Criminals like it, because it helps them launder money. It is not regulated and can be transferred from high-tax to no-tax areas without anyone knowing. As long as people agree to accept the coins for financial transactions, it has value. It has whatever value people, collectively, agree it has.*

*This is, incidentally, the way commerce words. Pork bellies; orange juice futures (if there is such a thing); wheat futures; etc, are all traded and have whatever value the traders agree they have.

It’s also how most currency works. The Dollar and Pound “float”, meaning that their value changes during trading hours on international trading markets. Depending on all sorts of things, the value goes up up down. But ultimately, they have whatever value that people agree they have. They are not backed by gold or silver.

Rent the movie “Rogue Trader” to see an entertaining way of learning how it works. True story: Apparently the Japanese Yen fell after the Kobe earthquake in the 1990s. The anti-hero “bet” that the Yen would go up, using his bank’s money. He doubled down, etc, and the Yen didn’t recover in time. His bank then went bankrupt. Second oldest trading bank in Europe undone by one man and poor management.

And here’s a lesson, any fool can make money when the market is going up. You need only be invested during a bull market and enjoy the ride. But it takes a pro not to lose their shirt when the market turns down. Because the fool will not have hedged his investments for just such an event, while the pro will have taken some precautions of some kind.

R12, does that explain it well enough?

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 11:34 PM

So when people tell me they've "invested" in Bitcoin, is it similar to "futures?"

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2019 3:39 PM

R14, I think all that means is they bought bitcoin with the hope that the value rises. It’s not like a company with underlying value. Apple is at $280 today. That is supposed to reflect the value of the company. But only as long as people buy their products, right? Suppose, magically, that it becomes gauche to own Apple products, their price will fall. Maybe to $140. They have property, factories, and considerable cash in the bank that will maintain some value, excepting le deluge. So, you invest in Apple and own a piece of their company, a physical thing with some, varying underlying value, no matter what.

I don’t know enough about futures to compare and contrast the two. But, it’s like any commodity, even collectible dolls. If people want dolls and value them, they will pay for them, trade for them, and hoard them. Then, when a blip happens, their value crashes. Bennie babies were actually bought as investments years ago, I recall.

One difference between Bitcoin and a company with a physical product is that there is no property, factories and so forth with Bitcoin.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2019 4:40 PM

It is something anyone with a brain will buy before it is too late. It has gone up about three grand since OP wrote this.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2020 5:59 PM

BTCis the currency of the future. Remember when ppl thought it was sooooooo stupid when others said that someday ppl will shop from the internet? Well.............one will NOT need any credit cards, all stores will be self serve and there will be NO cashiers, or machines. One will walk right out and the BTC will be transferred instantaneously to the merchant. Bank on it. One BTC will be worth many many many thousands of dollars. Not a fantasy, a fact.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2020 6:09 PM

I understand a certain moose likes bitcoin.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote]The “mining” business serves a few purposes, but it’s basically a computer program that people run, and after a while, all that effort of running the program produces a bitcoin, then they repeat the effort to get more.

This doesn’t make sense. Where does the bitcoin come from? Is it hidden all over the world and people have to find it like a scavenger hunt?

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2020 6:36 PM

[quote] Where does the bitcoin come from?

It doesn't exist. It doesn't come from anywhere and it doesn't go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2020 6:37 PM

R20, what do you mean it does not exist? It is a digital currency. Just like the currency you use when you use a debit card. Most money is digital right now. It is already transactional. And if you are going to use FIAT as a tangible currency...what exactly is it worth? In other words, what backs IT???

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2020 7:02 PM

Nope. Not getting sucked into your cult. There is no physical existing in material reality bitcoin. You cannot touch it with your hands. I'm not talking about what backs it or what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2020 7:24 PM

R22. Ok Boomer. Know this-it is the future. Whether you realize it or not.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote] Ok Boomer. Know this-it is the future. Whether you realize it or not.

You are being an ass.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2020 7:43 PM

OP Google Ponzi scheme for a broad overview

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2020 7:56 PM

And you, R24 are being an ignorant luddite that has absolutely NO clue about BTC and yet you are creating an opinion based on your ignorance. So, really..who is the ass in this?

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] So, really..who is the ass in this?

Still you. I said a bitcoin can't be held in your hand. Which is true and shows no bias against Bitcoin. And you decided all sorts of untrue things about me.

Because you are an ass.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2020 8:05 PM

R25, BTC has gone up since it's inception. Every high is higher than the last. Yes, it is basically the goldrush. But NO. Not at all a Ponzi scheme. But, you clearly have NO idea how the tech works. If you knew anything at ALL about BTC, you would not call it a scheme of any kind. You do realize that there are well over 30 major companies and hundreds of smaller companies that accept BTC?

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2020 8:07 PM

R27, so what if you cannot hold it in your hand???? And, I would rather be an ass than a dick with no brain.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2020 8:08 PM

It’s mostly used for drugs, money laundering, the dark web, and other illegal activity. Stay away.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2020 8:09 PM

Um, R30?That was literally years ago. As if it is the ONLY mechanism used for those things. Jesus. It is also accepted at many major companies and enterprises, lol. WTF. Are you 100?

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2020 8:10 PM

[quote] so what if you cannot hold it in your hand????

The response was to a question about where a Bitcoin comes from. And was explaining that it wasn't a material item. It wasn't an argument about the value of Bitcoin or its future as a currency. It was a simple explanation of fact.

[quote] And, I would rather be an ass than a dick with no brain.

What's it like to be both?

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2020 8:11 PM

[quote] It is also accepted at many major companies and enterprises

Name some.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2020 8:12 PM

R32, why ask a question when only YOU know the answer?

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2020 8:12 PM

Well, R33---how about you actually DYOR? But, I will give you a headstart:

Amazon, ATandT,Subway, Whole foods. You can work your way from there. There are plenty more.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Nice try at a comeback., r34. Your earlier posts make it clear who that applies to.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2020 8:16 PM

Ah, so we agree, R36! Yes, it clearly applies to you. Whew.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2020 8:18 PM

And you are lying, r35. Amazon does not accept Bitcoin. You sell your bitcoins to a third party who pays Amazon in fiat currency.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2020 8:18 PM

R38 its not a lie lol. They are an entrusted partner in the transaction. WTF. It is an indirect acceptance. Google it and find out how many other places accept it. Not a ponzi, is my point. If Dish Network accepts it, why won't you?

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2020 8:22 PM

You cannot go to amazon.com and submit payment in bitcoin.

[quote] Amazon merchants actually receive fiat currency for their wares

[quote] “There’s no direct merchant integration,” Kruger said, clarifying that Moon also manages payment channels and merely offers a simple interface for sending payments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2020 8:24 PM

R40, you are sticking to the Amazon thing? Let it go. As there are a LOT of other merchants that take BTC directly. NOT a scheme is the point.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2020 8:41 PM

R40, are you Paul Krugman?

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote] you are sticking to the Amazon thing? Let it go.

Well, yeah, because you misrepresented reality to try and make your case stronger than it actually is.

Someday people might do the majority of their transactions in cryptocurrencies. Maybe not. Bitcoin might be the dominant cryptocurrency. Or it might be the AOL and the Netscape of cryptocurrencies. Nobody really knows.

Right now, today, there are very limited uses to cryptocurrencies, among them Bitcoin. That's the reality.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2020 8:47 PM

R43, no, I didn't it is accepted by way of a partnership with another entity. You are clinging to that to change the subject. Fact is, BTC is not a scheme. It is a currency, used as such and will be a currency in the future.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote] You are clinging to that to change the subject.

I'm not changing the subject at all. The claim was

[quote] It is also accepted at many major companies and enterprises

And Amazon was an example given. Amazon does NOT in fact accept bitcoin.

This claim about Amazon was in response to this statement (not mine)

[quote] It’s mostly used for drugs, money laundering, the dark web, and other illegal activity.

Which is true. The amount of financial transactions using bitcoin for illegal activities dwarfs the amount of legal transactions.

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2020 9:00 PM

R45, Amazon accepts bitcoin by way of a partnership with another entity. AGAIN...that is NOT the issue. You stated that BTC is a ponzi scheme. Which is a luddites view of progressive technology. Try DYOR research before stating something that is not true. You may want to take a look at the index as well. Not a ponzi, it is the currency of the future. Period.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2020 9:05 PM

As usual the thread has devolved into a pathetic cat fight between 2 idiot posters.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2020 9:11 PM

R46, Dude- EVERYONE of your comments are vile. You are a miserable cunt, so whatever. Sit and spin on a rusty nail you fucktard troll.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2020 9:19 PM

Before the asshole corrects me.

Every one.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2020 9:20 PM

On December 17th, 2017 a bitcoin was worth $19,783.06. It steadily declined and almost a year later it was worth $3,300. Today it is worth $8,168.44. That is quite a volatile investment.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2020 9:35 PM

Yes R50. It is a store of value. AND...the LOWS continue to climb. For instance, I had 1000 BTC that my father bought me when it was less than a dollar. Did I sell? Sure, when it hit nearly 20 grand. Not all of it. It is a store of value for those not willing to sell , and it is a currency for those that want to sell. It will, in the future be one of the most used currencies. It is being bought by MANY investors now, as they see where it is headed. Don't believe it....but, you will regret it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2020 9:49 PM

It's not prudent to invest in something you don't understand. But from reading about it, it does sound like something Alfred Hitchcock called "the red herring" in his films -- the thing people are hunting, looking for, but generally is the impetus for a lot of people running around and the plot developing. Bitcoins aren't tangible things that you can hold. Someone, apparently anonymous, "invented" the bitcoins though there are claims that he has been outed as the person who put there where they can be "mined" using quite a lot of energy. The plot thickens in that, like a lot of investments which tend to make money for the financial institutions and the people who work at them, they make it as hard to understand and complicated and complex for the average person/potential investor/sucker to understand. Yes, some folks have become very rich, but they tend to get out quickly, letting the next person buy it before it loses value. That's also called, oh, yes, a Ponzi scheme. Again, stay away if you don't understand an investment. Look up index mutual funds instead.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2020 10:00 PM

The DL should start presenting Kween Kage Matches on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2020 12:07 AM

R52, it is ABUNDANTLY clear that you know NOTHING about BTC.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2020 3:21 PM

R52 is right.

There is no inherent value in bitcoin; it's not pretty and in limited supply like gold or diamonds, and it has no alternative uses. It's not backed by the credit of any entity, let alone a government with tax authority. As best I can tell it's a clever device that hide and launder money that depends on the credulity of tech stans.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2020 3:26 PM

I'm interested and want to buy but don't know where to start.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2020 3:52 PM

R55, everything you list is exactly WHY it will be the currency of the future, lol. OH, and by they way..you have no clue about BTC either. OF COURSE IT IS LIMITED. UNLIKE FIAT that can be printed anytime and used to devalue our dollar. BTC is in its infancy. And yet, it is STILL being used to not only buy things but as a store of value (by wallstreet, too BTW).

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2020 3:56 PM

Until bitcoin becomes more liquid, and until it speeds up the processing time for a simple transaction from 10+ minutes to INSTANT, bitcoin ain’t going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2020 4:10 PM

what websites do you recommend to research?

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2020 4:12 PM

R59, Between SW and LN and general population transactions, AND future quantum computing...that will be solved.

AND.....it is STILL better than FIAT.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2020 4:16 PM

R57 I said AND, not OR

[quote]it's not pretty and in limited supply

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2020 4:20 PM

R59, you should first learn a bit about it..you can even use wiki for a little bit of familiarity in terms of its guts and existence. There are a lot of websites thereafter, just google some questions. To buy, coinbase is your safest bet.

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2020 4:21 PM

The distinction to me is not important, R61 because the one thing that you made clear is that you have no idea what you are writing about, and your knowledge in terms of BTC is, at best extremely minimal.

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2020 4:23 PM

wow, that's compelling argumentation R63

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2020 4:29 PM

Well, R63- it is all that you are entitled to- anything else would be way over your head. You proved that.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2020 4:54 PM

I’m going to research how to buy some, and then watch it for a while. Purely as a speculative endeavor, like going to a casino with pin money. My Moose has had some luck with it, and he’s an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2020 5:28 PM

Both idiots and intellectuals have purchased BTC and alts, R66. And the outcome will always be the same for both.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2020 5:35 PM

it doesn't hurt to diversify....

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2020 5:36 PM

Absolutely, R68. Bitcoin cash is a good coin to have in your portfolio. Long term....it all goes down almost as quickly as it goes up. The bottom line though is-----HODL!!! That comes from an old school thread. Guy meant hold. In any case, the lows never return to their previously lowest point. They grow. And, that is what the long term game is.

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2020 6:06 PM

How high will the stock market go? When the fuck is the crash coming? I did not profit from the growth. I stayed out when Trump was elected.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2020 6:23 PM

R70, there just is no knowing. I was shocked that the market roared after Trump was elected.

I’ve concluded that the market loves the Republican agenda. Less regulation. Bringing expat money home without taxes. Lower taxes. Favors. Not that it’s good for the people, mind you. But business likes it. Not the Trump agenda. He’s clueless. I mean Mitch’s agenda. So, the market may go up further. Maybe it will correct when a Dem is elected?

This might still be recovery from the crash, I don’t know. In that case, it will not correct in a major way.

Note: a 30% correction hasn’t happened in a while so it may shock many people, but it’s not generally a rare or earth shattering event.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2020 12:55 AM

Yes, the market is unpredictable, but --- if some big corporation announces they've found a way to put a lot of people here in the U.S. out of jobs and will either replace them with machines or for little wages abroad, the market has a pretty good chance of going up, as other corporate heads clink glasses and think of how they can implement those policies in their companies.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]...it does sound like something Alfred Hitchcock called "the red herring" in his films-- the thing people are hunting, looking for, but generally is the impetus for a lot of people running around and the plot developing.

Hitchcock called it a "MacGuffin", not a "red herring".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2020 8:11 AM

No, R65. The person who resorts to ad hom attacks and insults demonstrates that he commands no good arguments.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2020 10:29 AM

Angela Lansbury has a cute Vedic filrmed on the MSW set about the MacGuffin. She looks through her bookcase and asked rhetorically, “Now where’s my MacGuffin?” There are a lot of other YouTube clips on it.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2020 3:49 PM

The fact that the Venezuelan government, one of the most corrupt, inept and backwards regimes in the world, is making BTC (Petro) its official currency makes me want to stay away from that shit.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2020 4:19 PM

R74 the person who appeals to ignorant majority deserves the ad hominem.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2020 4:48 PM

R76. Hitler drank water. You should stay away from water.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2020 4:50 PM

R78, that's a very stupid comparison.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2020 5:21 PM

No it’s not R79. You believe that if a certain set of or certain ppl use a certain other thing that it is clearly poisoned and you would stay away from it.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote] AND.....it is STILL better than FIAT.

The stupidest fucking thing I ever heard. On what planet is it better to sit and wait up to 60 minutes to finish processing an ELECTRONIC TRANSACTION that even fucking Diners Club can process instantaneously? All while paying a fucking fee on top of the inconvenience.

You are the grandest idiot I have ever encountered here.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote] It works by people using a shit ton of electricity to 'mine' it and then they sell it or use it like you would a currency.

And so if we lose the grid, are you shit out of luck?

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2020 11:40 PM

The stock market will crash when a "tax the corporations, corporations are bad" candidate like Warren or Sanders gets elected.

by Anonymousreply 83January 20, 2020 1:54 PM

And others will swoop in to buy shares at a bargain price, raising the market up again.

by Anonymousreply 84January 20, 2020 4:33 PM

[quote]It is something anyone with a brain will buy before it is too late. It has gone up about three grand since OP wrote this.

BUY NOW OR BE PRICED OUT FOREVER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2020 6:21 PM

Purely a speculative vehicle. When you buy Bitcoin you buy air. It will NEVER be used as a widespread currency because it's so goddamn volatile. Tulip mania, Tickle-Me-Elmo mania, Beanie Baby mania, Bitcoin mania. Same shit, different toilet paper. It'll ultimately end in tears like all other manias before it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2020 6:41 PM

Better sell before it's worth nothing.

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2020 6:46 PM

Hmmmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 20, 2020 6:50 PM

DENIED!

by Anonymousreply 89January 20, 2020 6:52 PM

Too funny. All the fossils here.

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2020 4:22 PM

R86 that will not age well.

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2020 5:24 PM

You're not going to sucker us into your bubble. You can stop trying.

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2020 5:35 PM

Don't worry, R92, we don't need you.

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2020 7:09 PM

Buh-bye now then!

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2020 9:32 PM

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2020 9:40 PM

It will snowball. There is already discussion from the fed that they may attempt to buy out BTC. Which of course will favor holders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2020 12:13 PM

Does R46 think we are stupid?

If Amazon or another retailer needs another company to accept bitcoin payment from them--that means they do not accept bitcoin. It is the other company that accepts the bitcoin and pays the retailer in....(wait for it)...dollars.

Maybe bitcoin will become a commonly accepted currency in the future, but it is not now.

by Anonymousreply 97January 31, 2020 12:35 PM

It will never be accepted until the U.S. government converts our entire economy from fiat to crypto. Unless and until that happens, crypto is a non-starter because it is COMPLETELY illiquid. If you want to argue this point, fine, but please explain to me how i can easily convert the USD equivalent of $1,500 in bitcoin into cash, WITHOUT losing 10% off the top in fees for the conversion?

You can't.

by Anonymousreply 98January 31, 2020 5:00 PM

[quote] I never understood what the whole deal about electricity and "mining" was about

I genuinely thought for quite a while that people were joking whenever they talked about that part of it.

by Anonymousreply 99January 31, 2020 5:05 PM

Well, just bought a ticket from Jetblue with it. So....

For you that don't see it as currency, who cares.

Pretty sure most of you will be dead in the next 10 years when it is commonly accepted.

No offense.

by Anonymousreply 100February 3, 2020 2:17 PM

[quote] Well, just bought a ticket from Jetblue with it. So....

No one is disputing that Bitcoin is accepted as a valid form of tender by a limited selection of merchants, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 101February 5, 2020 8:22 PM

Jet Blue doesn't accept bitcoin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 5, 2020 9:10 PM

Got it through cheapair lol. R102

by Anonymousreply 103February 7, 2020 4:47 PM

R101.."dipshit". You are special!

by Anonymousreply 104February 7, 2020 4:49 PM

It’s cheAp to invest in. No one wrote to only invest in bit- no one wrote to blindly invest in anything. Do some homework. It is early stage. Try a little.

by Anonymousreply 105February 7, 2020 5:52 PM

Go on youtube / net. Look up Ripple Investor Glenn Hutchins Or look up Jay Clayton. Not small players. See what they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 106February 7, 2020 6:08 PM

Chainlink is also going to grow exponentially. The landscape of currency will be completely unrecognizable in 2 decades. Banks know this, which is why the LARGEST BTC and ALT holders are BANKS.

by Anonymousreply 107February 7, 2020 6:18 PM

I want to buy but don't know where to start. I'm looking into coinbase.

by Anonymousreply 108February 7, 2020 6:20 PM

R108 Coinbase is a good exchange. Binance too. But, IMO Coinbase is best.

by Anonymousreply 109February 7, 2020 6:21 PM

Gemini is good too.

by Anonymousreply 110February 7, 2020 6:21 PM

R97 using "we" in an effort to trot out supporters. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 111February 7, 2020 6:27 PM

I'm also still confused as to what is exactly being "mined." Is it a collection of data from the web that's being compiled together to create something of value? Might anyone knowledgeable on the topic explain it better, maybe give an analogy to a mainstream concept that makes it easier to understand? I've tried reading articles and they are all way too tech-based for me to understand. I actually bought some of the Ethereum Light last year (which, up until a couple weeks ago, was a bad investment) to play around with. Now my $26 worth went up to $47. So that's exciting. But I have no idea what any of this is or how it works

by Anonymousreply 112February 7, 2020 6:32 PM

R112- It is complicated, but I will attempt to simplify it using an analogy.

A professor of physics poses a question to his class. The first person to answer correctly gets an A.Only the brightest can solve this using mathematics. Each races to do so. But, in order for it to be confirmed as correct, the answer must be reviewed by the next student. And the next. If it is wrong, it is not accepted and the process starts again. After months, a solution is finally found, confirmed by a group of 60 (all of whom have to review and nod and move it to the next). Blockchain is the group of students, the answer is the protocol and the A is bitcoin. The process of the students working together, reviewing, confirming (or not) is mining. Mining is basically updating a ledger of computations.......the ledger of all transactions made is the blockchain. It keeps track of EVERY transaction EVER made. Through, basically, a "chain", like a legacy. It is impossible to "respend" a bitcoin...think of the students reviewing and saying "no, we already looked at that solution...so, it cannot be posed again.." Very simplistic here, but I am trying.....Mining takes a LOT of PC power. Like ,a LOT (companies are now building huge facilites to mine it). Unlike FIAT, Bitcoin has a limit. And, for those that call it tulips or whatever, they have NO IDEA what it will be. While it goes up and down, the one thing that it does not do is decrease from its highest low. It is a long term investment....it is basically what the internet was decades ago. Anyway, I digress. Thing is, it is VERY complex but I put a site down below for a VERY cursory explanation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 7, 2020 6:47 PM

My parents told me that their parents said internet/ email would never catch on. It is far too hard to understand, and computers will never be bought by everyone, only the rich. That is where we are with Crypto right now.

by Anonymousreply 114February 7, 2020 6:54 PM

R98, right now of course, BTC and the rest of the ALTS are in their stages of infancy. The fee's, in time will be liberated by virtue of scaling solutions. (SEGWIT, for example). There will be FAR more solutions as time goes on. Right now, it is all about the early adopters getting in and investing. The rest of those not interested will use it later, down the road. BTC is analogous to peering its head out of the black infinite. Yes, adoption is a good decade away. But, right now is the time to learn about it. It is not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 115February 7, 2020 7:03 PM

You all talking about how this will be the currency of the future...can you explain why? There are advantages to email over snail mail. What are the advantages of cryptocurrencies to conventional currencies?

I see you saying that we should get in now to our advantage, and see comparisons to the rise of web-life. But how do we know we are not buying Netscape and AOL?

by Anonymousreply 116February 7, 2020 8:45 PM

R116. Starts with forbes.com. When there Search crypto. All info & education to send ya on your way. Or search : why crypto? & fine a mainstream page & read up. I say Forbes as they lay out pros & cons in investing.

by Anonymousreply 117February 7, 2020 9:36 PM

DYOR R116. Lots of reasons and in depth analysis available. Too complex to answer here.

by Anonymousreply 118February 8, 2020 3:08 PM

R116, what exactly are the advantages over email that snail mail has?

by Anonymousreply 119February 8, 2020 3:20 PM

Looks like "Rogue Trader" is on Youtube. For free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 8, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote] DYOR [R116]. Lots of reasons and in depth analysis available. Too complex to answer here.

I'm always suspicious of people who say crap like this. If your thing is so wonderful it should be possible to put a few words together. If it is too complex to answer, then it's probably not as wonderful as you are making it out to be.

[quote] [R116], what exactly are the advantages over email that snail mail has?

Is this a real question? Speed of delivery, cost of delivery, control of contents...

by Anonymousreply 121February 8, 2020 7:21 PM

R121. Then don’t look up info on digital currency on your digital phone or look at your digital pictures or post again on this digital site because thank God the world hasn’t gone digital & would never go digital banking... or digital shopping! Thank God my Doxtor has ignored breakthroughs!

by Anonymousreply 122February 9, 2020 11:42 AM

A little too much proselytizing by the Bitcoin partisans. The emotionalism of the responses doesn’t help their credibility.

by Anonymousreply 123February 9, 2020 12:14 PM

How is that in any way a response, r122?

I find your typo for doctor more than amusing considering the topic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 9, 2020 8:11 PM

R124. What ever Sally. I did that (not the typo) because- if you did invest- none of this would be new or news.

by Anonymousreply 125February 10, 2020 1:48 PM

Those that have no clue are rampant here. But hey, without laggers early adopters don’t get rich lol.

by Anonymousreply 126February 10, 2020 2:10 PM

R123 ok boomer

by Anonymousreply 127February 10, 2020 2:11 PM

There is so much starter info on here. Maybe leave DL & look it up . Or talk to your broker.

by Anonymousreply 128February 10, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]But hey, without laggers early adopters don’t get rich lol.

You sound desperate to sucker more suckers in. Enjoy your invisible "investment".

by Anonymousreply 129February 10, 2020 7:21 PM

[quote]That is where we are with Crypto right now.

Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 130February 10, 2020 9:51 PM

How do you buy it? Or mine it?

by Anonymousreply 131February 10, 2020 9:56 PM

I'm assuming it's FDIC insured for when it gets stolen?

by Anonymousreply 132February 11, 2020 11:44 AM

R132 your assumption fully explains your complete ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2020 11:30 AM

R129 ok boomer.

by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2020 11:31 AM

Thoughts on how it will fair with the flu coming?

by Anonymousreply 135February 13, 2020 2:04 AM

It's faring quite well lately, R135... as of now $10429/BTC and up about 30% in the last month

by Anonymousreply 136February 13, 2020 3:21 AM

R1 Bitcoin isn't used for trafficking as traffickers (of people, drugs, endangered animals, etc) don't want a record of any transaction and Bitcoin and Ecoins uses a ledger. Traffickers want their money UPFRONT and don't want anything traced back to them. And they don't want to wait.

by Anonymousreply 137February 13, 2020 3:47 AM

Exactly, R137. Traffickers prefer cash..and they hoard it in strange places. Digital currency, due to the ledgers have been tracked and have gotten people arrested.

BTC is NOT a short term hold. This is what people need to understand. It is still in its early stages. And, while the lowest highs are never repeated (the lows always increase), it will drop quickly. But here is what is so interesting.........it has gone up nearly a billion percent since its inception.And, yes.....it will continue to increase. In 15 years (maybe 20) it will be worth at least a million dollars a coin. Oh, and Bitcoin Cash is another great coin that will do well also. Both are longtermers. Chainlink too.

by Anonymousreply 138February 13, 2020 4:50 PM

And, if you are new to it....DO NOT DAYTRADE.

by Anonymousreply 139February 13, 2020 4:51 PM

R138 is psychic, everybody!!! Please welcome Sylvia Browne to the board!

by Anonymousreply 140February 13, 2020 5:35 PM

R140, no clue who sylvio Brown is, but history is a GREAT tool Oh, and so is reading about cryptocurrency. But, yeah, you are funny. Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 141February 13, 2020 5:38 PM

Honey history has never shown Bitcoin to go to a million dollars. Pull your head out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 142February 14, 2020 8:02 AM

R142, you are, clearly, obtuse. Of coourse it didn't. Because it NEVER was at a million. I am speaking of maths, and how to extract. WTF lol.

by Anonymousreply 143February 14, 2020 10:31 AM

What do you think about Monero, R138?

by Anonymousreply 144February 14, 2020 2:16 PM

R144, I think Monero has a LOT of promise. It is a good investment, IMO. That said, I do not own any-----I did in the past, but I sold it. But, it is very good and has promise.

If you want to risk a bit but get a great return in the future......research "digibyte". Cheap right now, but a LOT of potential.

by Anonymousreply 145February 14, 2020 2:21 PM

what's distinctive about digibyte (and chainlink)?

by Anonymousreply 146February 14, 2020 6:56 PM

how's that bitcoin holding up, doll?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 9, 2020 11:41 AM

R147. Um. Are you an idiot?

by Anonymousreply 148March 10, 2020 11:06 AM

^ struck a nerve, did I?

by Anonymousreply 149March 10, 2020 11:09 AM

NoR 149. Just exposed your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 150March 10, 2020 12:07 PM

R149 if you were not an ignorant boomer you would know not to use dips in bitcoin as some odd proof of your knowledge. Try researching the lows and see why you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 151March 10, 2020 12:09 PM

Well, you've convinced me by your well-reasoned arguments. I'm going to go an use Bitcoin to buy a ticket on JetBlue. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 152March 10, 2020 12:12 PM

R152. Um. You can. But your ignorance is profound so no great arguments w u. Go chase kids off ur lawn gramps.

by Anonymousreply 153March 10, 2020 12:14 PM

Um, you can't.

And make up your mind. Is bitcoin a long-term investment tool or an everyday currency?

by Anonymousreply 154March 10, 2020 12:15 PM

Um. You can.

I have said it’s long term.

But it CAN be used as currency.

I have said many times it’s a long term investment.

by Anonymousreply 155March 10, 2020 12:17 PM

You can't, sweetie. We have gone through this. You lied. You sell your bitcoin to someone else for US currency to pay JetBlue. JetBlue itself does not take Bitcoin.

by Anonymousreply 156March 10, 2020 12:21 PM

You can; dolly dog. Just as u use an intermediary like a credit card to buy a ticket. You use Cheapair as one to buy a ticket. And as I repeatedly told you before- and as you trot this weak point out- bitcoin can be used and is used by many many companies. And it will continue. Your odd little plane ticket argument that you unearth to listlessly strengthen a bad argument has grown tiresome. Don’t accept crypto. Clearly you are anachronistic. But you bring a dull knife to a cutting party dude. Keep that head buried. It doesn’t matter. You will be dead in a decade so your denial does not at all matter.

by Anonymousreply 157March 10, 2020 12:31 PM

Actually, honey, you brought up JetBlue in the first place. And you have yet to show these many many companies that accept direct payment of bitcoin.

And comparing using an intermediary like credit cards doesn't help because there is no conversion with credit cards. I know exactly what I'm paying with a credit card AND there is no conversion fee.

I'm sorry this is so tiresome for you. Maybe if you had an intellectual honest argument it wouldn't wear you out so much to tie yourself into knots.

by Anonymousreply 158March 10, 2020 12:37 PM

Yes sweet potato I did. And many other examples. You clung to the plane ticket with a hope that you could disprove my point. Which you cannot. It is tiresome because you are overwhelmingly ignorant in terms of crypto and attempt to win an argument using your ignorance. Which is tiresome. Very much like a Trump supporter. Ignorant without the awareness of your ignorance. You are not at all educated in this regard and trot out a lame horse insisting it is a winner. Stop. Just stop gramps.

by Anonymousreply 159March 10, 2020 12:42 PM

The you-can-use-bitcoin-as-currency troll is getting more and more tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 160March 10, 2020 12:42 PM

Apparently the local nursing home left the doors unlocked again.

by Anonymousreply 161March 10, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote] You clung to the plane ticket with a hope that you could disprove my point.

No, I checked out your claim that you "just used bitcoin to buy a ticket on JetBlue" claim and found that they do not accept Bitcoin. No clinging, no hoping, just checking out your false claim.

by Anonymousreply 162March 10, 2020 12:45 PM

R162. You are a sad little man. Try Cheapair lol.

by Anonymousreply 163March 10, 2020 12:46 PM

[quote] You are a sad little man.

Can't make an actual argument, attack the person who exposed you as a fraud. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 164March 10, 2020 12:49 PM

I have made it many times R164. You are just mind numbingly obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 165March 10, 2020 12:51 PM

[quote] I have made it many times [R164]. You are just mind numbingly obtuse.

And been show to be a liar.

But keep attacking my character. That'll show everyone how wonderful bitcoin is.

by Anonymousreply 166March 10, 2020 12:54 PM

R166. I am attacking your lack of intellectual power. Not your character. You continue to cling to a fallacy and despite the fact that yes you CAN buy a JetBlue ticket w Bitcoin you CONTINUE to say it cannot be done. It can. It has been. It will continue. And you are just obtuse. This silly argument with a petty element that you cling to is ridiculous and it’s exhausting. So yes. You are obtuse and you are anachronistic. You are simply like a trump supporter. Unable to see the truth and grasping at tiny elements of what you see might help sustain your argument just because you need it that way. Odd. And buy bitcoin!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 167March 10, 2020 12:59 PM

You keep pretending you can use bitcoin directly. You can't, but clearly nothing is going to stop you.

[quote] And buy bitcoin!!!!!!

And also clearly this is your main reason for coming here. To shill.

by Anonymousreply 168March 10, 2020 1:05 PM

R168. Please see R 167.

That will now be the only reply to you. No longer reading ur dribble.

by Anonymousreply 169March 10, 2020 1:07 PM

Better yet R168- I think I will block you as I do with Trump supporters and every other idiot. Buy bye.

by Anonymousreply 170March 10, 2020 1:08 PM

R167, I have no dog in this hunt, but how do you use bitcoin to buy a JetBlue ticket. I just checked and there is no way to select Bitcoin as your currency.

by Anonymousreply 171March 10, 2020 1:08 PM

R171. Cheapair.

by Anonymousreply 172March 10, 2020 1:09 PM

[quote] Buy bye.

What a delicious typo.

[quote] how do you use bitcoin to buy a JetBlue ticket

You don't. You sell your bitcoin to a third party at a fee and they convert it to actual cash.

by Anonymousreply 173March 10, 2020 1:11 PM

Click on the bitcoin link here to see how easy it is to use bitcoin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 10, 2020 1:16 PM

Ummm, r174, the Bitcoin link is dead.

by Anonymousreply 175March 10, 2020 1:21 PM

Yep. That was my point, r175.

by Anonymousreply 176March 10, 2020 1:23 PM

And yet. Here you are R175

by Anonymousreply 177March 10, 2020 1:23 PM

Thanks, r176, touché! R177, I’m here because it’s morning and I’m doing my daily perusal of DL. I don’t think about bitcoin at all, but I think it’s funny that you think I do.

by Anonymousreply 178March 10, 2020 1:26 PM

Your post on bitcoin would encourage that assumption.

by Anonymousreply 179March 10, 2020 1:29 PM

R179, I post on all threads. I’m retired and my mornings are spent browsing the internet and learning about stuff I didn’t have time to learn about when I was working. So now that I’m all “interested” in Bitcoin, let me just say it’s a crock of shit and anyone who invests in it is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 180March 10, 2020 1:34 PM

Girls, girls! You're both fighting over thin air.

by Anonymousreply 181March 10, 2020 1:36 PM

How is bitcoin holding up with this coronavirus thing?

by Anonymousreply 182March 10, 2020 6:09 PM

$6300

looking good, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 183March 12, 2020 11:15 AM

Well...that's a comeback from $5800. In the last five days it has fallen by a third. Even the Dow Jones hasn't done that.

by Anonymousreply 184March 12, 2020 1:21 PM

I made a killing with shorts. KEEP DROPPING!!

by Anonymousreply 185March 12, 2020 1:39 PM

I swear it's going to a million dollars, guys! I swear it!

by Anonymousreply 186March 12, 2020 1:42 PM

-24% in a day

buy NOW or be priced out FOREVER!!

by Anonymousreply 187March 12, 2020 2:01 PM

It's a safe haven, guys!!! BUY BUY BUY!

by Anonymousreply 188March 12, 2020 2:15 PM

$5630 bitches, whadda deal

by Anonymousreply 189March 12, 2020 9:27 PM

Of COURSE crypto has dropped-we are dealing with HUMANS. Bitcoin, et all, in all of their superiority over fiat are still at the mercy of stupid humans. I for one have NEVER called Crypto a "safe haven". I have indicted that it WILL replace fiat. And, just because we now have a global pandemic, that does not change. Crytpo is the same as the stock market RIGHT NOW. As I have said a thousand times here, it is in its INFANCY. For all of the anachronistic fossils here who are saying "see? its a fraud..its not a safe haven...its dropped...its a tulip..." you are clearly stuck in your odd little tiny box of perspective that was built 4 decades ago. You can use the price drop right now as a reason to support your closed thinking and old fashioned theories. But, come back here in 7 years. I have said numerous times------------------------------------------THIS IS A LONG TERM INVESTMENT. NOT SHORT TERM. My god. Yes, it is volatile. Yes, you can buy it today and it may quadruple in 4 months. Yes, it may drop after that. BUT.....look at the LOWEST LOWS of IT. THAT continues to rise. And, DO NOT BUY IT if you don't want to. Most of the buyers are my age or younger. They are NOT 30 years or older. AT least, not most. Aside from the large corporations invested in it. Which, by the way.........is WHY it drops when the stock market drops. The biggest crypto whales are corporations because their business model is built upon growth, and they see the future growth. So, go ahead and post the idiotic posts based on current volatility. That reflects your place in our world of technology-----which puts you in 1994. Crypto is NOT about being a "safe haven" (aside from the crypto stable coins). It is about technological growth, blockchain and its place as a currency IN THE FUTURE. Yes it IS a currency. Just as it was when someone bought a pizza for 10 thousand bitcoins. You can invest long term, you can use it now as currency and regret it later if you do not own a shitload of it, or you can NOT invest. But, your anachronistic crap is exhausting, boomers.

by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2020 11:22 AM

You'd be more convincing with more dots and dashes. And maybe a few more CAPITALIZED WORDS.

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2020 11:37 AM

R185, you have THAT right!!! Dollar cost average the SHIT out of this fire sale.

by Anonymousreply 192March 13, 2020 11:44 AM

Not a safe haven. Not a store of value. Not a currency. Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 193March 13, 2020 12:05 PM

Down 50% in two days! Did even Enron drop as much?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 13, 2020 9:13 PM

R194. Of course it did. It will drop more too.

Firesale.

EOY will prove to be great for it.

by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2020 1:29 PM

$4750 bitches

by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2020 1:32 PM

R196. I predict it will go even lower. But, so is everything else. No big deal in the scheme of things. People panic sell and panic buy toilet paper.

So, no big deal. I sold mine too, because I KNEW I could buy a shitload more in 2 months or less - which will make me even wealthier.

Firesale for me.

by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2020 2:00 PM

tl;dr r190. Can you put down the coke and try again?

by Anonymousreply 198March 21, 2020 4:33 AM

Lol, R191.

by Anonymousreply 199April 3, 2020 3:07 AM

Is it a million dollars yet?

by Anonymousreply 200April 4, 2020 11:53 AM

Bitcoin is surging... still time to get in before the halving.

by Anonymousreply 201April 30, 2020 4:36 AM

LOL, nice try R201.

by Anonymousreply 202April 30, 2020 7:13 AM

R201 = Used Bitcoin salesman. Also known as a used thin air salesman.

by Anonymousreply 203April 30, 2020 7:51 AM

Yes it is surging. It will likely reach 20 grand by years end.

by Anonymousreply 204May 1, 2020 3:52 PM

R198 is right about that post: Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

by Anonymousreply 205May 1, 2020 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!