Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Asking For Advice From Dog Lovers

I am 65, retired, stable, living on a small hobby farm. My 86 year old mother, in good health, makes her home with me since my father’s death. I’ve always been a dog person, and my last four have been rescues. My wonderful little Jack Russell, Lucy, passed at the age of 14 three weeks ago. I miss her terribly, and know there will never be another quite like her. Usually, in the past, I’ve waited at least six months in between loosing a dog before getting the next one. The other day, a cute little pup caught my eye on a rescue site. I’ve been thinking about following up, but wonder if it is too soon. I take dog ownership seriously and want to do the right them. I know I’m still grieving, but also believe you can honor a great dog by giving another dog a chance at a good, secure life. What say you? Too soon or full speed ahead?

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 10:55 PM

your heart knows what is best for you. your dog wanted nothing in the entire universe more than you to be happy. be happy.

by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2019 10:44 PM

We rescued two pups and it was the best thing we ever did. It is a lovely and fitting tribute to your beloved dog to rescue another one. It is not too soon at all. Share that love:)

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2019 10:46 PM

Is it an older dog? I wouldn't want to have a young, active pup and an 86 year old woman in the same house.

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2019 10:47 PM

Ultimately, it's what R1 said. We waited two years after the dog my partner had died, at the ripe age of 16 until we adopted our current dog who's been with us for 10+ years, he himself being 15 now. You just know when you're ready to be a dog parent again. After he departs this realm of existence, we'll probably wait a year or two again. And, yes, get a rescue.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2019 10:50 PM

Honestly, your situation calls for an older dog.

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2019 10:53 PM

plenty of time on your hands...adopt! all mine actually came to me.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2019 10:58 PM

I don't wait more than a week or two to get another. The task of caring for the new one help with your grief. Go ahead and do it. That pup needs you. Best wishes to you and your new dog.

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2019 11:03 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss OP! We had Jack Russells as well, one was knocked down by a car and the other one died of old age...they are such great dogs!

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2019 11:24 PM

When I lost my last dog, it did a number on my mentally. Within three weeks I brought home a new dog and it saved me, it’s good to have another dog to focus on.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2019 11:28 PM

Follow your heart.

And my condolences. Losing a friend is one of the most painful things in the world.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2019 11:31 PM

Go for it. But make arrangements for a guardian and set up funds for the dog’s care in case something should happen to you. You might also ask the shelter if any dogs are from homes where the owner died or had to go into a nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2019 11:39 PM

Oh, OP, I am sorry about losing your dog. That hurts like hell and you always have a special place for them.

But if you have started looking again, it means you're ready. You are in no way disrespecting Lucy's memory to adopt again. She would be glad that you are happy.

Thank you for adopting a rescue. They are the best.

Now I want to hug my spoiled rescue animals.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Hi! OP here. I appreciate all the comments, even the one that made me feel ancient. I am happy to tell you I’m bringing home tomorrow a five year old terrier mix who was rescued from a terrible hoarding situation. Wish me luck, and, again, you guys were a real help at a difficult time!

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2019 1:53 AM

that's wonderful OP! boop that little snoot on behalf of me!

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2019 1:54 AM

Hurray, OP!

That makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2019 1:57 AM

Yay! <3

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2019 2:03 AM

Congrats OP!

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Best wishes to you and your new friend.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2019 2:40 AM

Great job, OP! Have fun together and take good care of each other.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2019 2:44 AM

As long as you know you can't really replace the previous one, if you know you will get another and your instincts are pointing you toward this one, listen to them, then think about what they say. No absolute answer.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2019 2:46 AM

did this happen?

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 9:29 PM

OP, the best way to get over a dead dog is to get under a live one. Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 9:33 PM

I’ve just adopted, OP. If you’ve got the love to give then give it - life’s too short. Getting another dog doesn’t erase your memories of the one that’s passed. Show us pics of your new pupper! x

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 9:52 PM

Pics please OP. Mazel Tov! I'm betting your mum is glad to have the pup around too.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 10:26 PM

I've always had dogs. I have adopted a dog the day after a beloved dog of16 years died and I have waited 2 years to adopt again at a different time. Both were the right thing to do at the time.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 10:31 PM

Congrats, OP! I really tried to wait after my last dog died, but could not do it. I had to get another one.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!