Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miss Universe 2019 to air live from Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta

The 2019 Miss Universe competition is getting an exciting new venue.

The Miss Universe Organization announced on Friday that the competition this year will air live from Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, Georgia. Meanwhile, Steve Harvey will return to host for the fifth year in a row.

The three-hour event features women representing more than 90 countries competing in multiple categories, including personal statement, swimsuit, evening gown and interview. Last year's winner and reigning Miss Universe is 25-year-old Catriona Gray from the Philippines.

"This year has completely changed my life, both professionally and personally," Gray said in a statment. "Being a part of the legacy that is Miss Universe and lending my voice to causes I care deeply about, including education for the underprivileged and HIV and AIDS awareness and prevention, has made this role immensely fulfilling. I am so excited to see which of these amazing women gets this opportunity next."

The 2019 Miss Universe competition will air live on Fox on Dec. 8, beginning at 7 p.m. ET.

During last year's event, model Ashley Graham made headlines when she took a nasty fall down the stairs during a commercial break. Graham co-hosted alongside Steve Harvey, Carson Kressley and Lu Sierra in December 2018.

"OK, so I'm doing some quick a** changes, you guys, and then, of course, I fell down the stairs and I've got the medics on me," Graham told fans while sitting backstage at the competition, which was held in Bangkok, Thailand. "I'm OK, but I just wanted to let you guys know what I'm doing. I'm going really fast."

Graham panned the video to show medics working on her leg, which was red and purple from her fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2019 6:29 PM

"Miss" Universe?

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2019 11:38 PM

That's really good for Tyler Perry studios.

Great.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2019 11:43 PM

Atlanta is a strange city to be hosting Miss Universe.

They usually go for an "international" destination, with warmer weather.

There's not much to do in Atlanta in December.

Maybe they'll send the contestants to Miami Beach for promo shots, and then hod the competition in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2019 2:07 AM

They are trying hard to keep people filming in Atlanta. Some movies and TV shows have pulled out. Serious money changed hands on that deal.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2019 2:30 AM

Live! From Atlanta, Georgia!

It's the 2019 Miss Universe competition, with 80 delegates from around the world!

Hmm.... I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2019 2:35 AM

I can totally see Miss USA being held there, but not Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2019 2:35 AM

California is being consumed by fire, so of course Hollywood is moving to Georgia. Atlanta to be specific.

California is over. No one is going to be able to live there soon.

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2019 5:08 AM

Miss USA's "National Costume."

What a joke!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 9:04 PM

Miss Venezuela.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 9:05 PM

Aruba, Chile, Costa Rica, Argentina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 9:05 PM

Miss Spain looks more like a Miss Sweden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 9:06 PM

Here are the Miss Universe contestants.

The competition is this Sunday, December 8 on FOX.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 9:11 PM

Pageant pros are predicting these 20 ladies to make the cut...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 9:13 PM

Check out Miss Sierra Leone's eyebrows!!!

They're terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 9:23 PM

I think that Tanzania has a good shot...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 9:23 PM

All sorts of rumors and BIs that Perry is basically using his studios as a brothel, for straight and gay, for his friends and business cohorts. So this makes sense. Especially good for rich overseas gentlemen who like to yacht and finance movies.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 9:37 PM

I have only watched snippets of previous shows but there’s something about Steve Harvey that gets on my last nerves.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 10:02 PM

[quote] there’s something about Steve Harvey that gets on my last nerves

For starters, he YELLS everything out of his mouth.

He is indeed very annoying, and I cannot stand the way he speaks.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 10:30 PM

Haha, he the claws are out already!

Love the photobomb of Miss Egypt in the background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 9:24 AM

Omg, Miss Myanmar is actually a lesbian!

She came out of the closet in an interview.

Good for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 9:29 AM

OP with all the links - why are you so invested?

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 9:30 AM

Just scroll on by, R21.

No one's forcing you to read this thread.

BYE!

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 9:32 AM

But all the posts are you, OP...

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 9:35 AM

BYE!!

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 9:41 AM

HI!!!

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 9:46 AM

OP do you script the fights on RPDR?

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 9:47 AM

Awe, the black Donald Trump!

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 9:51 AM

Ugly contestants this year.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 10:06 AM

Has Miss Universe of late become a Third World/Developing country competition? Or is that how the judging trend has migrated?

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 10:20 AM

Will a black tranny win?

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 10:55 AM

Lately R29, either Philippines, Venezuela, or India has won. So.... yes.

However, France won a couple years ago, which was a first time that a European had won the crown in decades.

And in those cases, the winner has usually been the girl who looks the LEAST philipino, venezuelan, or India. Usually, they always have white features.

Just look at the current titleholder. She's a philipino, and she looks white. You'd never guess she was from that country.

I think her dad is a white American. Naturally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 1:31 PM

Omg this video is hilarious!

Miss Equatorial Guinea cannot be BOTHERED with the bitch in front of her.

She's like, "BITCH, MOVE!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2019 1:26 AM

I like when they announce the wrong winner.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2019 1:53 AM

Miss Venezuela looks like a potato. I thought they were famous for plastic surgery and beauty queens? How did this one get in the contest?

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2019 1:57 AM

Did anyone watch the show?

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2019 4:20 AM

Horrible winner.

Very unsatisfying result. She wasn't even pretty.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2019 5:00 AM

Mexico should have won.

Winner is UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2019 5:44 AM

The most beautiful is the stunning Miss Malta. Runners-up: Miss Denmark and Miss Sweden.

This year, the Europeans had it way over the girls of the Southern Hemisphere.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2019 6:02 AM

Ironically, Miss Malta was born in Venezuela. Her entire family moved to Malta to escape conflict and seek better opportunities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2019 6:05 AM

Miss Albania is another stunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2019 6:17 AM

Miss Myanmar is the out lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2019 6:18 AM

Miss Denmark is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2019 6:20 AM

Miss Sweden. I enjoyed it when the Scandinavian girls ruled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2019 6:21 AM

Miss Haiti is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2019 6:23 AM

Come on, even Miss Iceland is biracial?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2019 6:26 AM

First runner-up: Miss Puerto Rico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2019 6:30 AM

Second runner-up: Miss Mexico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2019 6:31 AM

I really really really wanted Iceland to win. She was so cute and natural.

All the rest were WAY too rehearsed!

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2019 6:31 AM

Mexico was fantastic, but she seemed to be depressed.

Did she ever discuss what her "mental health" issues were?

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2019 6:32 AM

"I have only watched snippets of previous shows but there’s something about Steve Harvey that gets on my last nerves." Mine, too. His forte is as a comedian, and as a game show host. Another thing that gets me, is that there is no more suspense. For instance, many years ago, they'd say, "The first runner-up is Miss______, Miss______, you are the new Miss Universe".

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2019 7:39 AM

r50 they stopped announcing the first runnerup after the mistake a few years ago when the wrong winner was announced. That was what got screwed up. He announced the first runnerup as the winner.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2019 7:46 AM

[quote] they stopped announcing the first runnerup after the mistake a few years ago when the wrong winner was announced

To be fair, the Colombian girl should have won.

The philippino bitch was UGLY.

If you ask me, the right person was announced as the winner.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2019 6:15 PM

DYKETASTIC!

"Swe Zin Htet on being the first openly gay Miss Universe contestant: 'People in Myanmar are not accepting of this'"

Swe Zin Htet, the reigning Miss Myanmar, is making major progress for both her country and for the Miss Universe pageant as a whole. The 21-year-old told People — who will compete in Miss Universe on Sunday night — that she wants to use her platform to help LGBTQ people in her home country, which is also referred to as Burma.

"I have that platform that, if I say that I’m a lesbian, it will have a big impact on the LGBTQ community back in Burma," Htet told People via a translator. "The difficult thing is that in Burma, LGBTQ people are not accepted … they are looked down on by other people and are being discriminated against."

As People noted, Htet recently came out during an interview with beauty blog Missosology. "I believe that not all countries allow same-sex marriage. I want the world to accept the LGBTQ+ community and their right to choose their own path and pursuit of happiness," she told the blog. "Love is the most powerful thing and people fall in love with human beings, not gender."

Htet is the first openly gay Miss Universe contestant, but she's not the first member of the LGBTQ community to be involved with the pageant. Last year, openly trans contestant Angela Ponce joined the pageant as Miss Spain. Still, the pageant world has a reputation for predominantly including contestants who are thin, cisgender and white.

By using her platform as a voice for the marginalized, Htet also hopes to effect change in people's hearts. "A majority of people in Myanmar are not accepting of this," the contestant told Glamour. "But my goal is to make them look at me and others that are like me just the same."

Under Myanmar's laws, citizens can be punished for the "unnatural offense of carnal intercourse against the order of nature," according to a refugee legal aid group. That's been interpreted to include same-sex relations, leading to homophobia and violence against the country's LGBTQ community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2019 6:18 PM

Miss P.C. Universe.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2019 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!