Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American Son on Netflix

“Racial Microaggression: The Movie”

This is the perfect movie for people who loved Crash, but wish it only starred three people.

But damn Steven Pasquale is so so yummy. That booming voice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 12:32 AM

Kerry Washington's acting was so amateurish and bad that I stopped watching this. They needed a better actress in the part. Washington was playing it in 'this is an [Italic]important film.[/Italic]' mode.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2019 9:09 AM

It would have benefited from casting someone who was Viola Davis-black rather than Kerry Washington-black.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2019 9:18 AM

This is the one that will get me to re-up with Netflix. But I have to wait until the end of the semester, December 9, or I'll flunk out of school.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2019 9:39 AM

Jesus, this was so bad it was laughable. Kerry Washington is a TERRIBLE actress.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 5:10 PM

It was bad

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 5:19 PM

I so hope they film Slave Play next, what a double bill

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 5:24 PM

That trailer does this no favors. Stage-y, actor-y, stiff.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 5:27 PM

The writing was so amateurish and lecturing. It felt like something a dramatic writing studies student would write.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 5:50 PM

Based on a play...maybe it works better live on stage with more suspension of disbelief. But in the immediacy of the filmed media...not so much.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 5:56 PM

I saw the play when it was first done at Barrington Stage 3 years ago, with Tamara Tunie, who was much, much better than Washington. The play is still lecture-ish, but Tunie made it gripping.

Agree with OP about Pasquale. Yum! Tunie's co-star was Michael Hayden.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote]Kerry Washington's acting was so amateurish and bad that I stopped watching this

I have to say her fake crying is good though. She has one of the best fake cries in Hollywood, and I think this lands her gigs even if the rest of her stuff is sub-par!

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 6:27 PM

I could not disagree more.

Kerry Washington was fantastic. I am not shocked that you all are going on yet another racist rant and attack on a black woman, but she was great, and seemed very real.

This movie is based on a play, a play Washington also did briefly on stage.

The movie was infuriating, my blood is boiling while watching this. This is DISGUSTING and you all dismiss it despite it being something that happens every fucking day. But who cares... its black men being killed.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 12:02 AM

Another boring, gimmicky, direct-to-netflix trashbag of a film. The five people who’ve seen it will forget about it a week after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 12:07 AM

Another boring, gimmicky, direct-to-netflix trashbag of a film. The five people who’ve seen it will forget about it a week after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 12:07 AM

Sorry, R12, your little shit stirring rant isn't going to work.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 12:07 AM

I think after When They See Us and all the other Crash-type movies and shows Netflix has been putting on their docket lately to try and save their quickly-going-downhill streaming service, people are tired of seeing stuff like this. We get enough of tragedies like this in everyday life, we don’t want it in our entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 12:17 AM

r16 Go kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 12:22 AM

Kerry Washington can't act. Period. Everyone else in the film was decent.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 12:29 AM

She acts fine.... she is no worse than many of these white trash women you all praise.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 12:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!