Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Husband Hit Me This Morning

He is one of the kindest people I have ever met and everyone loves him. He's handsome-he's an actor you've maybe seen(commercials, tv gig here and there). He's usually a pretty good guy but he drinks and when he does, he's an ass. I try not to drink so we don't fight but I got messed up last night, woke up still a little tipsy and confronted him on his drinking and asshole behavior and he hit me. I think I deserved it(I was being really mean) but if a female friend told me this, I'd tell her to leave his ass. Do you think one hit is worth destroying a relationship? Maybe we should get counseling? I don't think he's a violent person in general but I admit, it scares me. We've been together for 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 215November 13, 2019 11:26 AM

I'm sorry you were hit, OP and no, you don't ever deserve it. I think you have touched on an important point, which you know, and that is your relationship is dysfunctional when one or both of you are drinking. I know this from my own experience. He may have been angered for you to talk about his drinking if you yourself were tipsy. I know this would set off my partner who has anger issues when drinking. My advice is to wait until you both have recovered from the effects of alcohol and seek counseling. If you are are in immediate danger, however, LEAVE. No one should ever make you feel that you deserve to be hit.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2019 7:15 PM

Go to counseling, OP, there are clearly unresolved issues. You'll soon know whether to leave him.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2019 7:15 PM

Did you hit him back, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2019 7:15 PM

If the relationship is important to you, then one slug is not necessarily enough to end it. But that one slug is a clarion call for counseling. Tell him you want to go to couples counseling. If he refuses to go with you, you can dump his sorry ass then and have no doubt you've done the right thing.

Unless you're okay being a human doormat.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2019 7:15 PM

Leave now. Abuse is never acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2019 7:16 PM

Is he the Truvago guy? My husband and I have hit each other before, sometimes things get sloppy. Don’t stress!

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2019 7:19 PM

Al ANon

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2019 7:20 PM

Counseling NOW! Let a professional guide you as to what to do--not us on DL.

My first inclination is to go to counseling and give him one more chance, but one more chance could be dangerous and violent. Go to counseling immediately, and if your partner won't go with you, then go alone.

Your partner needs to go to AA immediately.

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2019 7:21 PM

Well, did he hit your upper arm ... or punch you full on in the face, breaking teeth and knocking you down?

I’d consider these factors.

And, does he pay for more stuff around the house etc? [italic]Adroit de ses mains [/italic], or whatever that French phrase is - -

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2019 7:22 PM

Listen to Charlene " Never been to me" OP.

by Anonymousreply 10November 1, 2019 7:24 PM

Listen to Charlene " Never been to me" OP.

by Anonymousreply 11November 1, 2019 7:24 PM

My father hit my mother, once, when he was sober, surprisingly. I witnessed it and intervened.

Some domestic violence experts say you should leave after the first time they hit you, but he was genuinely sorry and never did it again. My mother said he had never done it previously and I believed her. They remained together another nearly twenty years until she died, with my dad taking care of her during her illness at the end.

So personally I don’t think one punch and you’re done. But it really depends. The drinking sounds like the issue here, is he prepared to stop?

by Anonymousreply 12November 1, 2019 7:26 PM

You and your husband both need therapy, OP - him for his drinking as well as his behavior. Couples counseling is a good idea. Has he expressed regret about striking you? Does he believe that his behavior needs to change? Are you both willing to cut way back on the booze, or ditch it altogether?

by Anonymousreply 13November 1, 2019 7:26 PM

So sorry OP. Hitting is never acceptable and living with a serious drinker is utter hell. I would endorse what others have said and talk it through with a therapist.

by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2019 7:27 PM

Thanks, gang. R6 he's not but we know him! LOL! I'm at work and just being a messy queen-I'm crying at my desk...I did not him back. He backhanded me pretty hard. I don't, or haven't, seen a cycle of abuse but it's scary to someone you love (so VERY much) freak out on you so hard. I think he just wants to forget about it but I think we have to go to counseling.

by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2019 7:28 PM

"If the relationship is important to you, then one slug is not necessarily enough to end it. '

Fuck no. Walk now.

by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2019 7:28 PM

Leave this photo on your computer along with self defence class times information.

You're welcome, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2019 7:29 PM

Does he appear in commercials for digestive issues?

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2019 7:30 PM

This is never OK. Put him on notice that the next time he touches you in anger will be the last. Set a firm boundary.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2019 7:30 PM

How annoying were you being? Were you shrieking when he had a hangover? Bringing him breakfast in bed when he ‘s not feeling well might be the wiser course.

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2019 7:32 PM

He just called from set crying and apologizing. I'm sure it was just a one-off but FUCK. Don't hit me, dammit! I probably shouldn't have even posted this thread-I was just so upset. I'm going to bring up counseling tonight.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2019 7:33 PM

The reason he hit you was because you were being very mean because you haven't addressed the issue before. So provided this is not some EST, maybe seek counseling.

If it doesn't improve then you probably should leave.

Maybe deep down that is what you want to do anyways. How long have curbed yourself to avoid a fight, or unwelcome behavior? Is this the life you want? You said yourself if it was anyone else you would tell them to leave.

Maybe you were really telling yourself.

and after 5 years what has it gotten you? Clouds in your coffee...

Maybe...just maybe he needs to be taught a lesson.

Maybe you should KILL HIM.

Tonight. Yes, my child. The Sacrifice.

The blood sacrifice.

Do it tonight!

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2019 7:33 PM

Man up, I say. I get why a woman may be unable to hit back or leave immediately if she has kids but you have no excuse. You are not helpless. So get off the internet and help yourself. Victimhood is a trap

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2019 7:34 PM

"He was in 'Nobody Loves an Albatross'..."

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2019 7:37 PM

R23, interestingly enough, he called me a victim before I got hit. He also threw in "white privilege"-that was a new one-he's Latino. Someone asked earlier about money-I do ok on my own but we'd lose a really nice loft and I have to think about the dog. I'm probably just being an idiot. He's a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2019 7:38 PM

don't do counseling. it will drive you apart, trust me. Two guys should be able to work it out at this point

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2019 7:38 PM

…" yeah, Sally, run me a report on all Latinos currently appearing in any running commercials these days. Why you ask,?,,oh just asking for a friend" thanks doll"!

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2019 7:41 PM

Be grateful you got a husband! If he gets a bit physical now and then, just learn to roll with it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2019 7:42 PM

R26 not to go off-topic but I have to agree on the counseling. You’re just encouraged to air grievances against each other endlessly, including stuff you always previously let slide in the relationship for the greater good (I don’t mean alcoholism or violence,?but say the mistake from the past, or friend of theirs you never could stand) and it ends up making things worse.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote] I try not to drink so we don't fight but I got messed up last night, woke up still a little tipsy and confronted him on his drinking and asshole behavior and he hit me.

How freaking drunk did you have to be last night to wake up still drunk this morning? It's actually pretty hard to remain drunk for that many hours, given the rate alcohol is metabolized and how much you'd have to drink to have that much in your system.

There is so much more to this story than OP is sharing.

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2019 7:44 PM

Young passionate and working through alcohol issues - meh. Not that big of a deal. If it becomes regular occurrence, worth discussing. But this is merely an opening for discussion about alcohol use.

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2019 7:45 PM

He hits you because he loves you!

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2019 7:45 PM

I agree with R19. It’s not OK and excuses should not be made to justify his behavior, least of all by you.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2019 7:45 PM

"Pride is something a woman in love can't afford."

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2019 7:48 PM

You obviously did something to provoke him, OP.

Are you keeping a clean house for him? Do you have hot meals ready for him when he gets home from work? Is the yard kept neat and trimmed?

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2019 7:49 PM

Did you apologize for getting him all riled up, OP?

Kidding. Leave him.

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote]I’m going to bring up counseling tonight.

Wouldn’t this be cheaper?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2019 7:51 PM

Listen here, Julie Jordan! When you walk through a storm, hold your chin up high and don't be afraid of the dark!

Sing it like you mean it!

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2019 7:52 PM

Stop drinking, both of you. Have a chat and choose a good marriage counselor you BOTH like. It's normal to go through several before this happens.

Good luck, OP, and I hope you both get over this carry on with a stronger and more loving marriage into the future.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2019 7:52 PM

Chasten, Pete is under a lot of stress with running for president and all. You need to be more understanding and refrain from doing anything that might provoke him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2019 7:53 PM

R30 we went out really late and woke up early. Honestly, we're kind of homebodies but he drinks at home alone when he's not working. We live in a LA, parties start late here and, again, not really a party person here. But I admit, I got fucking wasted like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2019 7:53 PM

There’s nothing like a good dose of being left alone to make a man appreciate his wife.

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2019 7:54 PM

Pride is something a gay man can't afford

by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2019 7:54 PM

I wonder who the top is?

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2019 7:55 PM

"I'm probably just being an idiot. He's a good guy.'.

"Good" guys don't punch their partners.

by Anonymousreply 45November 1, 2019 7:58 PM

He's cute so keep him. Let him hit you a few more times before you consider leaving him. You'll never get such a hottie again

by Anonymousreply 46November 1, 2019 8:06 PM

It only gets worse. Address it now or pay the consequences. I'm telling you now....

by Anonymousreply 47November 1, 2019 8:07 PM

So true R 47

by Anonymousreply 48November 1, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]R39 Stop drinking, both of you.

5 years, and no ring? OP needs to lock this down before getting the bf sober. He could have a whole new life outlook when he gets sober ... one [italic]without[/italic] OP in it.

There are younger, tighter, hungrier holes in Tinseltown just waiting to snatch up this semi-famous Latino cock the second they try that “trial separation.”

Get him sober ONLY after you’re married, and he starts securing property in your own name. Until then, no sudden changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 1, 2019 8:14 PM

People who get hit usually deserve it. They can't stop running their mouths, and the only way to get 'em to stop is to show 'em who's boss!!!

by Anonymousreply 50November 1, 2019 8:15 PM

OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 1, 2019 8:16 PM

R50 He did say he was very mean because he himself had been drinking the night before, and let loose.

Come for the risible domestic drama, stay for the murder-suicide.

by Anonymousreply 52November 1, 2019 8:18 PM

Man up and deal with the situation.

by Anonymousreply 53November 1, 2019 8:19 PM

OP - He hit you, did it feel like a kiss?

by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2019 8:22 PM

Don't call the police because then he may be carted off to jail. And once he gets a taste of cage meat, there's no going back.

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2019 8:27 PM

How do actors get away with being hungover on set? Don’t you look like shit after a binge? I can barely function- could never go to work the day after. Even in my 20s. And I don’t have to look good for the camera.

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2019 8:27 PM

I’m sure you deserved it !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2019 8:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2019 8:33 PM

Oh dear. Did he read your post in the commercials we are hating thread OP?

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2019 8:35 PM

R56 make up can do wonders....and pills.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2019 8:37 PM

My advice more than likely isn't sanctioned by professionals, but my inclination would be to strike back, or if my fist wouldn't suffice, throw something or otherwise meet aggression with agression. Sometimes this is the only language bullies understand. I fully understand a woman probably cannot always take my advice, but for men, if your partner is another man, I cannot see taking it.

I do encourage counseling, but if your partner is mired in alcoholism, he probably won't be willing. You certainly can choose counseling for yourself however. The drinking amd/or hangover is no excuse to disrespect you in this manner. He either gets help wiith the sauce, or the relationship is toast. Best wishes, and I suggest spending the night or a few days at a friend's or family member's place. Others may declare this passive aggressive, but I believe it sends a message of how serious the offence is, and how you are not to be taken for granted. Don't play into his ideas that you are a weak victim; there must be grave consequences for his actions. When you do go back, or if, make sure you have a gas like Sabre, or "mace". Protect yourself and your dignity.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2019 8:38 PM

OMG if it’s Fernando Rivera from the McDonald’s commercial I’d find a way to work it out. He is hot af!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2019 8:39 PM

Take a lesson from Jerri Blank...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2019 8:43 PM

^at about 0:34 is the pertinent part, but the whole thing is fun

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2019 8:45 PM

That was the most fictional McDonald's ever...

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2019 8:47 PM

If he hits ya once he'll hit ya again, Patsy. - Mrs. Hilda Patterson Hensley

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2019 8:53 PM

Fuck no. Being raised as a battered child (both I and my sister, adopted from different families) I have never, ever tolerated such behavior for whatever reason. I agree with upthread, you should have decked him; but in the meantime leave. I also have the feeling that you'll be back for more & will not do what needs to be done until you are seriously injured/dead. It's a hard life keeping up appearances in the industry & you'll choose baubles/bright lights over safety. It's your funeral, babe.

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2019 8:55 PM

What’s REALLY f—ed up is that so many of you think verbal abuse is acceptable, but physical abuse isn’t. They are both unacceptable, but how many of you would be saying “leave him” if the issue at hand was “only” a cruel and hurtful remark or harangue?

I was physically and emotionally abused as a child, and the verbal/psych stuff did far more and long-term damage than the blows. OP, I don’t know what you said or did to your partner, but STOP trying to sound like a victim when YOU initiated the confrontation.

The rest of you sound like vicious passive-aggressive trouble makers or “Rescuers” on the Karpman Triangle.

by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2019 8:58 PM

R68 What I said was "feed and walk the dog-it's the one fucking thing you do around here" then confronted him on his drinking. Yes, I was a dick, but we don't normally talk to each other like this. Also, we both walked the dog and got a coffee and sat in silence inside the cafe. We normally really like each other. I wouldn't and probably shouldn't have posted this thread but I was shocked and just wanted some advice. I'm sorry about your abuse. I'm a librarian in a rather bad neighborhood and see abused kids all the time and it breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2019 9:13 PM

R68 100 WW’s

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2019 9:18 PM

Start documenting your arguments OP. For Dateline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2019 9:20 PM

Can’t tell you what to do, but I’d make an exit plan. You really can’t trust an abuser.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2019 9:23 PM

Either leave him or tell him you can't be around him when he drinks.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2019 9:31 PM

[quote]r67 I agree with upthread, you should have decked him.

Do not hit him in the face, tho - that's your mealticket.

Whack him with a strong stick, or plank ... somewhere it won't show.

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2019 10:05 PM

[quote][R30] we went out really late and woke up early. Honestly, we're kind of homebodies but he drinks at home alone when he's not working. We live in a LA, parties start late here and, again, not really a party person here. But I admit, I got fucking wasted like an idiot.

"In general, the liver can process one ounce of liquor (or one standard drink) in one hour. If you consume more than this, your system becomes saturated, and the additional alcohol will accumulate in the blood and body tissues until it can be metabolized."

I'm going to stick to my original statement: "How freaking drunk did you have to be last night to wake up still drunk this morning? It's actually pretty hard to remain drunk for that many hours, given the rate alcohol is metabolized and how much you'd have to drink to have that much in your system."

As well as, "There is so much more to this story than OP is sharing."

Going out late and waking up early are irrelevant to the absolute quantity of liquor consumed over an absolute number of elapsed hours. If you went to bed for 5 hrs and were still drunk when you go up, you would have been a complete mess at the time you went to bed.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2019 11:10 PM

[quote] He is one of the kindest people I have ever met

Except when he hits you.

[quote] and everyone loves him.

Except when he hits them.

[quote]He's handsome-he's an actor you've maybe seen(commercials, tv gig here and there).

How is this relevant to anything? I think it's pretty telling you added this so early--as if his being handsome somehow mitigates that he hit you.

[quote]He's usually a pretty good guy

Except when he hits you.

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2019 11:15 PM

You should have run and gotten the frying pan and whacked him across the fucking head. How DARE he raise a hand to you. Don’t waste money on a therapist. Use the frying pan instead. That will put manners on him.

Some weeks into a serious relationship my bf smacked me with his open palm across the forehead. He was Latino and I think it was normal for them. But he saw stars when I gave him a full slap across the face and he never raised his hand to me again.

by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2019 11:21 PM

you know what once leads to, OP?

twice.

by Anonymousreply 78November 1, 2019 11:42 PM

OP no one ever deserves to be hit, ever. Pack your and get out.

by Anonymousreply 79November 1, 2019 11:44 PM

OP, seriously were you trying to use wire hangers, again?

by Anonymousreply 80November 1, 2019 11:45 PM

r77's love life sounds like an episode of "Dynasty."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 1, 2019 11:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 1, 2019 11:53 PM

r81r82 bitch!

by Anonymousreply 83November 1, 2019 11:55 PM

then...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 1, 2019 11:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 1, 2019 11:55 PM

I heard the sound of it, Mother, but it didn't hurt. It didn't hurt at all. It was just as if he kissed my hand!

by Anonymousreply 86November 2, 2019 12:23 AM

Yes. Immediately.

Anytime there's a combination of drugs/alcohol and violence the only answer is "get out". His behavior will escalate. You'll be a punching bag. After you've gotten out, get therapy to find out if you play a role in this. No, I'm not blaming the victim. And no, I don't believe in false equivalences like "theres TWO SIDES".

That's usually crap. The point of getting therapy is to help you deal with being the victim of violence in a way that helps you move forward and not be stuck in the victim loop in the future, damned to repeat the same cycle.

by Anonymousreply 87November 2, 2019 12:44 AM

One hit is one too many. If you stay, it will happen again for sure. I promise it.

by Anonymousreply 88November 2, 2019 12:53 AM

Tell your friends what is happening, in case you disappear.

Take notes on the abuse, take photos. Put them in a secret safe deposit box, along with cash, passports with multiple new identities, etc.

Be prepared to fake your own death, if necessary. Because he will never stop. And he will NEVER let you go - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 2, 2019 12:57 AM

[quote] After you've gotten out, get therapy to find out if you play a role in this. No, I'm not blaming the victim.

But it SURE sounds like it!

by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2019 1:06 AM

When was the last time OP replied?

Shouldn't the hubby be coming home from work around now??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2019 1:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 2, 2019 1:17 AM

Op, can we have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 93November 2, 2019 1:17 AM

Slapping happens, even in the best of families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 2, 2019 1:19 AM

He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2019 1:25 AM

Leave ASAP. This was not a one off....it's only the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2019 1:28 AM

Does he like to wear red wigs and call himself Annie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2019 1:29 AM

My former partner got drunk and took a swing at me. I was sober and knocked the fuck out of him. He was on the floor. I left and checked into a hotel. The next morning I went back, picked up my belongings and left for good. He had a huge black eye. The local CBS affiliate he worked for had to keep him off the air for over a week.

by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2019 1:31 AM

You need to prepare a nice dinner, soft music, mellow lighting.

As he's cutting into his steak, sip your wine and say, "I've been wondering ... how [italic]would[/italic] a man with no hands hit someone?"

Then start cutting into your steak.

by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2019 1:33 AM

I'm of the same mind as R77 on this one. If someone hits you, make sure they understand clearly that you won't be the ONLY one hurting afterwards. It's too late for immediate correction in kind, but I'd say let him stew in an empty loft for a few days so he understands there will be consequences for this sort of thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 2, 2019 1:38 AM

Oh I would give anything to be with a man that hits me. What’s his number hon? You better hang on on to him real tight sugar cuz someone’s gonna take him.

by Anonymousreply 101November 2, 2019 1:46 AM

Devils advocate here but had I let a couple of drunken fist fights be a deal breaker I would have lost out on 12 years of wonderful happiness. The first 2 years I put my husband through pure hell because I just couldnt let someone love me.I cheated ,lied,partied way too hard,created lots of drama . When it clicked to me he really truly loved me it changed my life. One slap isnt a deal breaker,but his drinking alone and daily would be. Couples who party together always have tons of drama.

by Anonymousreply 102November 2, 2019 1:50 AM

OP must learn The 5 Movements, from The O.A.

Proven to stop violent people in their tracks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 2, 2019 1:51 AM

From what OP has described and after 5 years, I wouldn’t pack my bags after 1 hit. There are times you lose control. I would suggest counseling. Definitely leave after the second time though.

by Anonymousreply 104November 2, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]r102 Couples who party together always have tons of drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 2, 2019 1:57 AM

In situations like this, I always ask myself, "What would Suzanne Somers do?" Why, make a Broadway musical out of the experience!

by Anonymousreply 106November 2, 2019 1:57 AM

Look, if OP was being as mean as he says he was then he was abusive too. You're both abusers.

by Anonymousreply 107November 2, 2019 1:57 AM

OP, never let him hit you again. Tell him he will never hit you again and make him say it out loud.

Then pack this incident up and stash it away. Trot it out occasionally when you want something extravagant. Not too often, or it will lose its punch. When he is being a dick to you, you can ask, "what, or you will punch me again?" You'll be surprised how powerful this arrow in your quiver can be.

by Anonymousreply 108November 2, 2019 1:59 AM

What the fuck are you coming on here crying about OP? You've got a man and number one that's more than most of us bitches have and number two, he hits you. Why does he do that? Because he loves you that's why. It's simple S&M. Remember butt hole, your mommy and daddy spanked you to "teach you a lesson" because they "loved you" so every time a person hits you, they are showing you their love. Just thank him and ask him to hit you harder.

by Anonymousreply 109November 2, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]What I said was "feed and walk the dog-it's the one fucking thing you do around here" then confronted him on his drinking

While you were still drunk.

You were itching for a fight. Granted, you had no idea he would punch you because he hadn't hit you before, but you wanted a nasty fight and started one and it got out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 110November 2, 2019 2:03 AM

I think it depends on the people involved. Somehow I imagine that maybe two huge burly bears having a bar fight and smearing big childish tears on their cheeks while headlocking each other with trembling fists would be rather adorable.

by Anonymousreply 111November 2, 2019 2:04 AM

Two drunks fighting. Now that's a story we haven't heard before!

by Anonymousreply 112November 2, 2019 2:05 AM

Report him for anti gay hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 113November 2, 2019 2:06 AM

OP, I think you said upthread that he drinks alone during the day. That’s a huge red flag. That’s an alcoholic. And an abusive one at that.

His tearful apology is a typical part of the cycle of domestic violence. You think he’s sorry and you go back to him. He does it again. You leave. He cries, you go back. And on and on.

GET THE HELL OUT. NOW.

by Anonymousreply 114November 2, 2019 2:09 AM

I like this version better, r95

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2019 2:09 AM

Did you really just say - "I deserved it" ?

You only deserve to be hit in a relationship if you have a safe word and you are playing sex games.

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2019 2:11 AM

It got harpy OP to shut up, anyway. Maybe next time he won't run his man-pleaser like that.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2019 2:16 AM

Did it feel like a kiss?

by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2019 2:21 AM

OP is entertaining tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2019 2:21 AM

Who the fuck says "I think I deserved it" when they get hit? Even Debra Winger in Urban Cowboy knew better.

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2019 2:23 AM

R98 good for you. Seriously, I applaud you.

by Anonymousreply 121November 2, 2019 2:25 AM

Violence will only lead to more trouble. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 122November 2, 2019 2:28 AM

R98 Was your ex Sam Champion by chance?

by Anonymousreply 123November 2, 2019 2:30 AM

OP: Maybe your incessant nagging reminded him of his mom?

The relationship may go better if you swallow your pride, and occasionally start bringing other men home to be with him. If you care, it's worth a shot.

by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2019 2:33 AM

What did I do

To be so black and blue?

by Anonymousreply 125November 2, 2019 2:34 AM

You've been together for 5 years and this is the first time this has happened? I find that hard to believe

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2019 2:35 AM

It reminds me of Janice on the Sopranos. Richie Aprile hit her ONCE and she went into her bedroom, came back with a gun and capped his ass. None of that counseling or second chance stuff. ONE TIME and that was it. It's one of my favorite moments from that series.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2019 2:37 AM

My friend had a similar problem, his partner was sweet and gentle when sober but turns into an asshole when drunk, but he would say that is not the real him etc.

This asshole made a lot of money and my friend could not afford to leave him, was trapped for years

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2019 2:38 AM

"Bitch Slap" and "Vicious Slapping" yield some eye opening gifs . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2019 2:46 AM

Alcohol is the devil. It is like the potion that turns Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. They ought to bring back Prohibition.

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2019 2:47 AM

[quote]They ought to bring back Prohibition.

Ah, me boy, that will never happen. The Cat'lics won't allow it. Why, they can't even make it through one church service without a taste of the old devil's milk.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2019 2:50 AM

OP, you should have hit him back. Same sex relationships are different.

Men are conditioned to be non-communicative and violent. Also, there is no inherent shame, or corresponding inhibition, to one man hitting another. So he is not naturally disinclined to strike you. If you were a woman I would tell you to leave now. A man that strikes his wife or girlfriend is already lost.

Since you are a man, if he ever strikes you again, you should immediately retaliate and hit him as hard as you can. It will establish that violence is not acceptable physical behavior. No one who hits his partner wants to be hit back, or brawl, he wants to dismiss, dominate and/or terrorize. Don't let him. Then you can determine if he is willing to communicate. If you hit him back and the violence continues, then he's a psychopath and you should leave him.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2019 3:04 AM

OP is dickmatized by the handsome actor.

[quote] What I said was "feed and walk the dog-it's the one fucking thing you do around here" then confronted him on his drinking. Yes, I was a dick, but we don't normally talk to each other like this.

Pfft ... That's all OP said? Actor BF didn't even apologize and people are recommending couple's counseling. If anything, OP should get individual counseling so he/she can move on with life.

Actor BF has not one, but two, problems: (1) violent and (2) alcoholic. Not worth the wait (time it takes to fix 2 major problems), IMO.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2019 3:05 AM

Sounds like you have already made your decision to stay with your rationalizing and making excuses for his behavior. I don't see what you need us for.

by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2019 3:06 AM

Well I'd rather my man would hit me Than to jump right up and quit me 'T ain't nobody's bizness if I do, do, do do

I swear I won't call no copper If I'm beat up by my papa 'T ain't nobody's bizness if I do, if I do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote]r132 You should have hit him back, OP. Same sex relationships are different.... there is no inherent shame, or corresponding inhibition, to one man hitting another.

This is true. By not hitting back, OP was, in essence, emasculating his partner, treating him like a fragile piece of china.

This can be very wounding. OP owes him an apology.

by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2019 3:18 AM

Just don't piss him off anymore and everything should be fine. You shouldn't have said something like that to him and made him feel like a lazy, useless piece of shit. Especially since I am sure it isn't even true.

by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2019 3:20 AM

I thought maybe OP told handsome actor BF, "No wonder your mother abandoned you." All he did was call him a lazy ass and alcoholic, both of which are probably true.

by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2019 3:23 AM

R137 = OP's husband/OJ Simpson

by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2019 3:23 AM

Do you live in a super high rise? Get him to accidentally throw you out da window. That'd be grand.

by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2019 3:25 AM

[italic]I don't know why I should / He isn't true / He beats me, too / What can I do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2019 3:25 AM

I say stay together and don't ruin two other peoples lives.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2019 3:26 AM

Did it feel like a kiss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2019 3:31 AM

This post is useless without pictures.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2019 3:33 AM

OP's future is at the 2:00 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2019 3:41 AM

OP's got me profiling guys in TV commercials. I really need to get out more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2019 3:43 AM

Is he bigger than you?

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2019 3:43 AM

If he beats your mussy like he beats your face, you should be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2019 3:47 AM

You should start looking for a new guy...but don't leave until you find your next meal ticket.

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2019 4:02 AM

OP, my family went through this with my sister. It is NOT your responsibility to work with him on his anger issues. It IS your responsibility to keep yourself safe. If he loves you, let him do the work he needs and earn your trust again but you need to leave him for now.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2019 4:06 AM

One strike and you're out, is my policy.

That's a line that, once crossed, can never be undone.

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2019 4:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 2, 2019 4:09 AM

Way harsh R142.

by Anonymousreply 153November 2, 2019 5:08 AM

OP Is this your couples song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 2, 2019 5:20 AM

[quote] r127 It reminds me of Janice on the Sopranos. Richie Aprile hit her ONCE and she went into her bedroom, came back with a gun and capped his ass. None of that counseling or second chance stuff. ONE TIME and that was it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 2, 2019 6:25 AM

TL:DR, but counseling and cessation of drinking, no exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 156November 2, 2019 8:41 AM

You don’t have to take this, OP! Cuz we’re The Rowdy Girls, remember?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 2, 2019 9:14 AM

Empty the joint bank account and get the hell out. Put a lien on your ass it before he knows anything about it and get the hell out. Tell him you’ll let everybody know what he did an end his career if he bothers to pursue you. Get the hell out.

Counseling is fine after you have all of the money.

by Anonymousreply 158November 2, 2019 9:54 AM

I speak from experience: staying with somebody who hits you will destroy you, OP. It’s a line that can’t be uncrossed. You’ll be forever waiting for the next one, and when it does - you’ll excuse that too. And before you know it you’ll be making jokes to your colleagues about how you’re such a klutz for having walked into that door.

Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 159November 2, 2019 9:55 AM

I spent years living with an alcoholic that was really sweet, except for when he was drunk. When he drank, he was mean.

As time went on, he was drunk more and more often and got meaner every time. When we finally broke up, I couldn’t believe I had put up with all that shit for years. It’s like the story about the frog being put in the pot and slowly turning up the heat. You don’t realize how bad it is until you leave.

My advice is, don’t waste years of your life dealing with someone who is going to waste your time because he USED to be nice. He WAS nice, now he’s a domestic abuser. Some people are just affected by alcohol in a way that all their pent up resentment comes out when they’re drunk. You can’t do anything to change that. If he wants to keep drinking, it’s only going to get worse.

I hear you talking about your nice house. You’re gaslighting yourself into thinking it’s not that bad because you’ll never live in such a nice house again. Just remember, when he gets into legal trouble because he drives drunk, or gets into a fight with you or somebody else when he’s drunk, all your community money will go to legal bills. He could be fired and unable to find work, he could decide to quit paying bills and spend it on partying like my ex did. One day you could find out he hasn’t paid the bills for months, like my ex. Then what?

The two options aren’t leave or everything stays the same. The two options are leave, or everything gets worse no matter what you do, because it’s on him, and you can’t stop it.

What’s happening is your mind is in denial that things have changed. A drunk who’s acting out violently is only going downhill from here. Alcoholics don’t spontaneously get better without changing anything. They get worse. And if you think you can make him stop drinking somehow, or he will value your relationship more than booze, boy are you wrong. Drunks care about drinking more than their partner, job, house or anything else. They just fool themselves that nobody notices. Everybody notices, at work and everyplace else. My partner’s coworkers all noticed. He lost jobs and promotions because of it, so the bosses noticed too. And his looks went. In acting, that’s a dealbreaker. The older you get, the less shit they’re going to put up with. There’s always somebody younger with less baggage.

You can live someplace else. It may not be as fancy, but there is nothing fun about living in a beautiful home where there is constant anxiety and drama. It’s not good for you. Your health and well-being aren’t less important than a house. Either he (sounds like both of you) need to stop with the heavy drinking or it’s just going to be a train wreck. If he’s an alcoholic, he can’t cut back, he needs to quit. “I’ll keep it to three drinks” means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 160November 2, 2019 10:32 AM

Did it feel like a kiss?

by Anonymousreply 161November 2, 2019 11:09 AM

Are you becoming a nag, OP?

Not that a nag deserves a punch, but do you want to be that annoying naggy shrew?

by Anonymousreply 162November 2, 2019 11:17 AM

It happened once with my boyfriend, and that was over 30 years ago. We got past it. We were young and dumb and had a volatile relationship. We've since grown up, and I can't imagine it now.

by Anonymousreply 163November 2, 2019 11:32 AM

I'm concerned that you worded it this way: " interestingly enough, he called me a victim before I got hit. "

You got hit. Not "he hit me."

Leave.

by Anonymousreply 164November 2, 2019 12:51 PM

I can help OP, give me a buzz.

- Ben U no who

by Anonymousreply 165November 2, 2019 1:18 PM

R163, does your boyfriend drink alone the day?

by Anonymousreply 166November 2, 2019 1:19 PM

^^during^^

by Anonymousreply 167November 2, 2019 1:25 PM

Gurl. This is Datalounge!!! Tell us about the MAKE UP SEX!!!!

by Anonymousreply 168November 2, 2019 1:26 PM

Does he emotionally abuse you as well? Sometimes that’s worse but any abuse is a red flag. Personally I’d dump his abusive alcoholic ass.

by Anonymousreply 169November 2, 2019 1:58 PM

Violence is never a solution, but if I were you I would have given the fucker a swift kick in the bollocks. If any man raised his hand to me it would be game over. I hope it doesn’t happen to you again, OP. x

by Anonymousreply 170November 2, 2019 1:58 PM

You’re both trash. Who cares what you do? You may as well move to a Trump state and start wearing MAGA hats.

by Anonymousreply 171November 2, 2019 2:08 PM

You both need AA. Get a Big Book and start reading OP.

by Anonymousreply 172November 2, 2019 2:13 PM

I wouldn’t necessarily leave over infidelity, but I absolutely would over this. You put your hands on me, and we’re done. Whether we’ve been together 30 days or 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 173November 2, 2019 2:22 PM

[quote]Put a lien on your ass

This is a legal/financial strategy I have never been aware of!

by Anonymousreply 174November 2, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]I think I deserved it

No one deserves to be hit.

by Anonymousreply 175November 2, 2019 2:55 PM

So let me get this straight:

You’re coming onto DataLounge (of all places) looking for sympathy/validation for the unexpected consequences of an altercation that you initiated?

by Anonymousreply 176November 2, 2019 3:13 PM

NEVER hit an abuser back. Diall 911, report that shit and get out or just leave, as in have a bag ready to go. Anyone dealing with emotional or physical abuse needs to have a bag packed and ready with a charged up phone (get a burner for this), emergency cash, credit cards under your name ONLY, and a separate bank account. If you have a joint account, start socking away a little bit here and there until you have enough to be safe somewhere overnight or for a week if necessary....this is the interim money.

You hit back and you risk being arrested. R98 got lucky. He could have been charged with assault and battery and gone to jail. It's tempting to do this, but it's not wise.

OP, get out. It's that simple. Do not go back into the relationship. If you want to continue, don't move back in unless you both receive counseling. If he doesn't want it, you go alone, but make it clear you want nothing to do with him until he agrees to get help. If he wants back in, he'll go along with the conditions.

Here's the worst part: it's over. Whatever you had before this is gone. The trust will have to be rebuilt and the trauma you both endured in this will have to be addressed in order to move forward.

by Anonymousreply 177November 2, 2019 3:49 PM

Where is OP?

[italic]WHERE IS OP ? ?

by Anonymousreply 178November 2, 2019 4:01 PM

R178 getting bashed around by his blatino husbear

by Anonymousreply 179November 2, 2019 4:03 PM

Hit me in the morning

Then just walk away

We don't have tomorrow

But we had yesterday

by Anonymousreply 180November 2, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote] You hit back and you risk being arrested. [R98] got lucky. He could have been charged with assault and battery and gone to jail. It's tempting to do this, but it's not wise.

Assault and battery is off the table for male same-sex relationship unless there is grievous injury or a weapon was involved. No chance a prosecutor is going to waste tax dollars because a man was slapped by his husband. The police wouldn't even make an arrest.

by Anonymousreply 181November 2, 2019 4:42 PM

What is the problem OP? Just wear big sunglasses to cover the black eye and a scarf around your neck to cover the bruises. It’s pretty basic hon.

by Anonymousreply 182November 2, 2019 5:43 PM

Post nudes.

by Anonymousreply 183November 2, 2019 5:48 PM

Did it feel like a kiss?

by Anonymousreply 184November 2, 2019 5:56 PM

R166, Neither of us do.

by Anonymousreply 185November 2, 2019 6:51 PM

Are there any updates on this?

by Anonymousreply 186November 8, 2019 11:31 PM

He dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 9, 2019 2:00 AM

Off topic, but a while back my partner and I had gotten in a pretty bad verbal fight. We were driving and wallowing in the post blow-up silence. I don't have a violent bone in my body, but I do NOT like to get touched unexpectedly. My partner knows this very well. Especially after a row.

So, my partner, with no warning, reaches over to touch my shoulder. Normally, I might jump a bit, but I was pissed so this time I grabbed his hand and flung it off me. He screamed abuse. I just rolled my eyes. Touch me without asking and my response is valid, no matter what I do.

by Anonymousreply 188November 9, 2019 5:54 AM

I'm alive, we're fine, I let him know this can NEVER happen again. Maybe I'm a doormat but I do love him and I'm trying to believe it was a one-off. Thanks for being your bitchy selves and thank you for the advice. I've asked him to slow down on the drinking and I'm not drinking at all.

by Anonymousreply 189November 9, 2019 8:57 PM

Good luck to you. There's no absolutely right answer so go with your gut, now and as things unfold. Two strikes, he's out, would be my advice. But I completely understand your course of action.

by Anonymousreply 190November 9, 2019 9:14 PM

[quote]r188 So, my partner, with no warning, reaches over to touch my shoulder. Normally, I might jump a bit, but I was pissed so this time I grabbed his hand and flung it off me.

Well, that's smart to do in a moving car.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 191November 10, 2019 12:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 10, 2019 12:36 AM

Did he hit so hard

that you saw STARS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193November 10, 2019 12:40 AM

I've already admitted (somewhere upthread) that I hit my boyfriend. He abrubptly told me he was going to be packing his bags,and moving back to Cleveland. I just punched his arm (not that hard)and asked WTF? That was 35 years ago. There has't been any violence since then. I don't approve of it. He later joked about how he was just trying to get a reaction from me, so he told me something to get a reaction. He's like that, and I know it. He never brings it up, and I don't, either. I wish I hadn't fallen for it, since I still feel ashamed. I'm not some serial abuser, and my Dad would have beat me within an inch of my life if he ever heard I had hit any partner: he hated that more than anything. If Marvin had ever called my Dad or brother, I would have been in very deep shit: they are/were good men, who never played.

by Anonymousreply 194November 10, 2019 1:17 AM

Just remember what Sir Noel Coward said: “ Some women should be struck regularly, like gongs.”

by Anonymousreply 195November 10, 2019 2:54 AM

You pussies need to realize we are men. This is not between a man and a woman. It's not like a man beating up a woman. It's two men fighting.

by Anonymousreply 196November 10, 2019 7:53 PM

Still doesn’t make it okay, R196. Most people want their home to be a place where they can relax, not be having physical fights with someone.

by Anonymousreply 197November 10, 2019 8:12 PM

Physical violence is the last resort of a weak mind. I’d be more worried about his IQ than anything else. Being married to an intellectual dullard must be worse than a one time slap.

by Anonymousreply 198November 10, 2019 8:14 PM

Or get nagged and bitched-out, R197.

by Anonymousreply 199November 10, 2019 8:16 PM

R196 It's not two men fighting, it's a man slapping the guy he is supposed to love. If you don't understand the difference, you've got issues.

Hitting someone you're in a relationship with is never okay. It doesn't matter if it's a man hitting another man or even a woman hitting a man, abuse is abuse.

by Anonymousreply 200November 10, 2019 8:21 PM

r102, that easy to say if you are say the Alpha Gay in the relationship. It's great that if a guy hits you, you can slap him back, but some dynamics aren't as equal. Some have physical, financial and emotional power over others in the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 201November 11, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote] I'm alive, we're fine, I let him know this can NEVER happen again. Maybe I'm a doormat but I do love him and I'm trying to believe it was a one-off. Thanks for being your bitchy selves and thank you for the advice. I've asked him to slow down on the drinking and I'm not drinking at all.

Good luck, OP. And hang on to those empty champagne bottles just in case you have to break one on his head.

by Anonymousreply 202November 11, 2019 8:40 PM

OP what did you do to provoke him to hit you? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 203November 11, 2019 9:00 PM

Would it have killed you to have at least posted a picture or link OP? I mean would that have been so hard? Would it? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post?

by Anonymousreply 204November 11, 2019 9:51 PM

HIT HIM BACK!!!

by Anonymousreply 205November 11, 2019 10:25 PM

I hope he hits you again.

by Anonymousreply 206November 11, 2019 11:53 PM

Some people on this thread are saying that two men can get into a physical altercation but a man and woman cannot. I infer this is because men are supposedly of the same physical stature.

OP didn’t mention his specifics, but remember we all come in various shapes and sizes. My husband has 50+ pounds and 10 inches on me...I’m sure as hell not fighting back just because we’re both men. First, I’d have to get a step ladder, and then a firearm to stand a chance!

Also, parts of this post have the makings of an EST thread, but I would much rather err on the side of caution and compassion than the side of sarcasm...

by Anonymousreply 207November 12, 2019 2:40 AM

OP: He may well be cheating on you, and forcing your hand to leave.

Follow him. Everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 208November 12, 2019 5:21 AM

Good for him, you whiny frau! Perhaps if you didn't talk so incessantly like a Valley Gurl, he wouldn't have to hit you

by Anonymousreply 209November 12, 2019 3:50 PM

R207 why don’t you shut you filthy whiny ass mouth. You sound like a goddamn mug cradling frau if I ever heard one. Men can fist fight each other just fine. OP is definitely just a pussy that probably got beat up on the play ground and I bet your stinking cry baby ass did too.

by Anonymousreply 210November 12, 2019 10:42 PM

Well, R210. That was quite the little outburst. You feeling okay after that one?

All I’m saying, if my husband ever got mad and hit me, there is no way I am hitting him back (even if I was an aggressive person). He quite literally could snap my neck. It isn’t an option for all men to get into a physical fight with every other man. That would be an instance in which I would do whatever he wanted me to do in the short term and then I get out when he’s not around.

Take a Xanax and chill, man. It’ll all be okay.

by Anonymousreply 211November 13, 2019 12:09 AM

R210 So, what, real men beat each other up? Were you raised by wolves?

You sound like a particularly dim Neanderthal with masculinity issues.

by Anonymousreply 212November 13, 2019 12:55 AM

R212 Yes men do get into physical altercations. You are just a prissy .

by Anonymousreply 213November 13, 2019 1:50 AM

OP’s husband has joined the conversation at R213.

by Anonymousreply 214November 13, 2019 4:23 AM

Hit him back with a frying pan! Works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 215November 13, 2019 11:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!