Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete will win Iowa

and throw the whole race into chaos.

by Anonymousreply 363February 5, 2020 2:03 AM

I like that OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2019 4:18 AM

Go, Pete, go! He's the smartest of the bunch.

- a Canadian admirer.

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2019 4:22 AM

I’d love it, but I cannot see Americans voting a Gay man into the presidency. Especially a non-celebrate one.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2019 4:22 AM

his numbers in Iowa have been steadily increasing

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2019 4:24 AM

Maybe, but he won't be able to take on the south, so this will be a real race.

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2019 4:25 AM

I like reefer.

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2019 4:26 AM

R3 You haven't been paying attention. According to a national poll 70% of American people would vote for a gay male Presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2019 4:28 AM

R5 Listen Debbie Downer, don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2019 4:29 AM

Looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2019 4:31 AM

That would be amazing. Go Pete Go!!!

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2019 4:34 AM

On the other hand, r3 I can totally see America voting in a gay man.

America always surprises you with its open mindedness.

Since a couple of decades after civil rights it was no longer remarkable to see black diners served by a white waiter. Everyone scoffed at pooper scooper laws. Outlawing smoking in various places. Everyone thought these were ludicrous.

It's easy to overestimate resistance to gays in office especially if you've had bad personal experiences to support it but 2/3 to 3/4 of Americans have liberal values.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2019 4:35 AM

Well, they’d probably vote for a gay for president before that’d accept one as a college roommate.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2019 4:46 AM

President Cruz might disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 5:02 AM

I hope he does.

Julian Castros campaign manager is currently retweeting people that are saying Julian would be in the lead if he were white. Yeah right. CASTRO IS HATEFUL.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2019 5:18 AM

What r13 said. Ted Cruz won Iowa. For all the good it did him.

The Iowa caucus is not a representative sample of the nation.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2019 5:22 AM

Pete is way smarter than Cruz. He's staked out and solidified his position from the get go. He's going to be already there when all the others come around to it. He's pacing himself for the long run. He's got it thought out.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2019 5:59 AM

most of the winners of the Iowa caucus for dems have gone on to win the nomination

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2019 6:27 AM

[quote] What [R13] said. Ted Cruz won Iowa. For all the good it did him. The Iowa caucus is not a representative sample of the nation.

'Tis dangerous for Pete to become the next president.

Experience will be CRUCIAL navigating the post Trumpian governmental waters. And Pete is young, woefully inexperienced (like the Trump mess) and Aspie like his friend Zuck. This doesn't even factor in his gayness OR his corporate shilling.

No. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2019 6:32 AM

stop trying to make this ugly ventriloquist dummy happen

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2019 6:34 AM

Pete is much more experienced in governance than Obama or Trump coming in.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2019 6:52 AM

A win, or even coming in second or third, will give Pete the credibility that a gay man can be a serious candidate. I've always voted for who I believe would be the best person for the position, not how I think others will vote.

I'm not voting for Pete because he is gay. His age is not a factor. He has consistently impresses me as someone who actually understands the big pictures and all, not just those that offer great sound bites, of the issues and presents well thought out solutions.

We've seen the three poll-leading candidates stumble a few times over the past few months. A lot can happen in 100 days.

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2019 6:52 AM

For those slamming Mayor Pete for being a "corporatist," why haven't you yet addressed my statement that Warren is owned by super billionaire George Soros?

Also how is anyone going to win without solid corporate financial contributions?

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2019 7:04 AM

[quote]America always surprises you with its open mindedness.

Yes. It surprised the absolute fuck out of us with it in 2000 and 2016.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2019 7:27 AM

The voters that will not vote for him because he’s gay (the hardcore religious right) will also not vote for any other Democrat, either. Most of the rest of the electorate will not hold the gay thing against him if they think he’s well-qualified in all the ways that matter. While he doesn’t hide it, his gay marriage is stable and low key and shouldn’t bother most people. Openly gay elected officials represent offices at many levels and in some pretty conservative states. It’s just not so unthinkable to elect a gay president in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2019 7:33 AM

If Pete really were to get the nomination, who would be his most likely running mate?

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2019 7:37 AM

We only got as far as mate, not running mate.

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2019 8:06 AM

r25, you can believe it won't be that Beto bitch.

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2019 8:10 AM

Pete and Stacey Abraham already made a deal. She will endorse once all the black candidates drop out.

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2019 8:12 AM

Yeah but how does Mayor Pete look in swim trunks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2019 8:28 AM

He is corporate owned. He will lose.

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2019 9:39 AM

R30 FF. R30 = Warren aka Cherokee whore's smelly Haemorrhoid

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2019 9:54 AM

How is going to win without minority votes. He can't just win with only college educated liberal gays and frau whites.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2019 10:08 AM

I think it's bullshit when people say that Pete isn't experienced enough to be president. Every president, except the fool we currently have, has said that nothing could have prepared them for this role. Good presidents have great advisers and top subject matter experts on their staff. The president is the person who makes the ultimate decisions based on the work of others. The key to being a good president is to have a level head and a compassionate heart.

Pete isn't perfect, but I would be proud to call him President.

by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2019 1:39 PM

R33 and I would be horrified to call this corporate sell out president no matter how many cocks he has sucked.

by Anonymousreply 34October 29, 2019 3:49 PM

[quote] Warren is owned by super billionaire George Soros?

I haven't heard that. Is that the new angle?

by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote] I think it's bullshit when people say that Pete isn't experienced enough to be president

Respectfully disagree, R33

He has NO experience at the federal level. He's Mayor of a small city. He's young, cocky (no pun intended) and thinking on another level.

The system right now in D.C. is roiling. WHOEVER follows in the wake of Trump has their work cut out for them. They are going to need to jump right in and pull the train onto the tracks. There will be no time for "learning the federal ropes" on the job. Doing so would be to the detriment of the USA.

This is one of the most critical elections in the history of the U.S. To say that someone with NO federal experience could jump right in a do the job is extremely risky, if not outright foolish.

Look at Trump. He's been disastrous. Pete would be too...( and we haven't even gotten into the issue of him being played by corporate $$$$$..... He's a sitting duck for further corporate manipulation.)

No. Some with experience who KNOWS how the federal government rolls, especially as it seems to be cracking up from within from corruption.

And it would also be soooooo important to have someone with ethics and honesty; especially after the Trump admin. Not someone who we question aligning with shady, big money interests...

Haven't we all had enough of the Trump paradigm: NO experience at federal government AND business moneyed-interests?

by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2019 5:11 PM

What type of jet does he fly in? Is it a G5?

by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2019 5:13 PM

Pete will Iowa and N.H and will cruise to the victory

by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2019 7:06 PM

No old white men will defeat the current old white man in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 39October 29, 2019 7:10 PM

I sure liked the way Mayor Pete ate a corndog at the State Fair.

by Anonymousreply 40October 29, 2019 7:26 PM

[quote]The voters that will not vote for him because he’s gay (the hardcore religious right) will also not vote for any other Democrat, either.

Sadly, that does not apply among black voters.

by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2019 7:32 PM

Give up... no one is letting Kween Chastyn in the WH

by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2019 7:38 PM

[quote] The voters that will not vote for him because he’s gay (the hardcore religious right) will also not vote for any other Democrat, either.

[quote] Sadly, that does not apply among black voters.

Not just black voters. A lot of liberals are more homophobic than they let on.

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2019 8:00 PM

An interesting thing is that Trump is so repulsive, that the country will vote heavily for his opponent. This means the Dems can run someone more leftish that the typical person. Or, nominate a Gay candidate. Or women. Or yellow dog. The Dems have a lot of leeway.

It’s the flip side of the Obama backlash that got Trump elected. This Trump backlash will make the Rs lose the Senate and Presidency. If we’re lucky, we’ll win in the Statehouses, too. That’s important as congressional districts will be redrawn soon after the 2020 census.

by Anonymousreply 44October 30, 2019 12:25 AM

R44. Pure fantasy and you give people too much credit.

by Anonymousreply 45October 30, 2019 12:28 AM

We have a history of backlash.

The Ford-pardon backlash gave us Carter.

The Carter-hostage backlash/fatigue gave us Reagan.

The Clinton-scandal backlash/fatigue have us Dubya.

The Dubya-Iran-Recession backlash/fatigue gave us Obama.

The Obama/racism backlash gave us Trump.

Next, the Trump backlash/fatigue can give us someone more extreme than would otherwise be electable.

by Anonymousreply 46October 30, 2019 12:34 AM

You heard it here first. The nominee will be someone not currently in the race. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 47October 30, 2019 1:06 AM

^^^ Hillary?

by Anonymousreply 48October 30, 2019 1:51 AM

I don't think so. I think he can get 3rd, and at best might, at small chance, get 2nd. And only Iowa.

However, if he manages 2nd in Iowa that is a potential momentum for later. No way he's getting 1st with 3-4 others in competition, his standing where it is right now, and little positive trajectory. Stars would really have to align.

Doesn't matter though. I think its more likely that he's in the campaign to disrupt progressives and be part of a Biden or other administration. Or rather, I think he's in the campaign to promote his career foremost.

by Anonymousreply 49October 30, 2019 1:59 AM

R47 Oracle here on DL said that a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2019 2:04 AM

R25 Buttigieg/ Gretchen Whitmer.

by Anonymousreply 51October 30, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote] sure liked the way Mayor Pete ate a corndog at the State Fair.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 52October 30, 2019 2:13 AM

I predict Warren, Biden, Buttigieg, Sanders in that order in Iowa. Just my instinct, so take it FWIW. Hard to know about New Hampshire. Sounds like the black vote will carry Biden in South Carolina. I am a huge Pete fan, so maybe he will do well in Iowa. It's his best chance.

by Anonymousreply 53October 30, 2019 2:36 AM

R46 You're wrong on too many points.

The Clinton scandal/backlash gave us Dubya. Dead wrong. Clinton was greatly admired when he left the White House after 2 terms but idiot Al Gore did not want Clinton campaigning for him and did not run the best of campaigns, period. If Gore had run a much better campaign and let Clinton help him the race wouldn't have been so close and the Supreme Court would not have had to decide who the winner was. THAT is what put dum dum Dubya in power.

by Anonymousreply 54October 30, 2019 3:55 AM

IOWA:

1. Buttigieg

2. Warren

3. Biden

4. Sanders

5. Harris

by Anonymousreply 55October 30, 2019 4:21 AM

I agree Pete definitely has a decent chance to win in Iowa with his aw-shucks presentation, and I'm sure the pundits will overheat if/when he does, but he will be killed in South Carolina and basically everywhere else where African-Americans are a significant part of the electorate. He's not racist, and they don't necessarily hate him, he just hasn't reached a lot of categories of voters outside lily white Iowa

by Anonymousreply 56October 30, 2019 4:32 AM

I think Pete at the moment understands his shortcomings with the black community. But he is new to the race. Biden's been around 40 years and can ride Obama's coattails for only so long. Pete's courting every other demo that the Democrats have long ignored - white men. His rousing the youth vote. I think his efforts will pay off.

by Anonymousreply 57October 30, 2019 5:17 AM

I live in des moines, iowa area and was driving around the old money affluent neighborhoods looking at fall colors last week and saw quite a few yard signs in yards for Pete. In more upper middle class areas I saw some signs but not as many............

went to a halloween party last sat night and when I complained my first cammpaign call was that day and it was the biden team asking if I was going to caucus in Jan for Biden, I told them I said fuck no.........and everybody in the room at the party looked at me like I needed my head examined. They are obviously voting their pocketbooks for biden just like they suported clinton over sanders...............

I think now that attitude is less of a mojority in the country as a whole and we will probably settle for a compromise candidate which will be Warren................ which Im fine with. My observations.

by Anonymousreply 58October 30, 2019 12:02 PM

A gay man with zero connection to the extremely important Latino and African American vote is NOT going to be the candidate.

You need to WAKE THE FUCK UP. We don’t have time for this.

by Anonymousreply 59October 30, 2019 12:03 PM

Pete has serious issues in southbend. He fired the only black police chief because he exposed corruption in the police department.

I don't give a fuck, Trump isn't that bad. I'm definitely not voting for pete. I dont like him.

by Anonymousreply 60October 30, 2019 12:34 PM

[quote]Pete will win Iowa

And won't get one vote in the Deep South.

by Anonymousreply 61October 30, 2019 12:36 PM

[quote] Especially a non-celebrate one.

CELEBRATION, COME ON!!

by Anonymousreply 62October 30, 2019 12:40 PM

[quote] I don't give a fuck, Trump isn't that bad.

Yes, he is, you troll

by Anonymousreply 63October 30, 2019 12:41 PM

[quote] And won't get one vote in the Deep South.

They haven’t voted for hardly any democrat in decades. It’s Pennsylvania, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan that matter

by Anonymousreply 64October 30, 2019 12:42 PM

I like Pete but he has two issues - African-American support is lacking and at 5'8" he is going to look ridiculously short next to 6'3" tall Trump - tallest candidate almost always wins.

by Anonymousreply 65October 30, 2019 12:51 PM

Exactly, Americans are not going to vote for a short man to be president. We like for our presidents to actually look like presidents. That's not pete.

Americans are very shallow.

Sorry pete.

by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2019 12:58 PM

R7

The only thing an American simply will not forgive is of you give your pet cat away

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2019 1:05 PM

[quote] For those slamming Mayor Pete for being a "corporatist," why haven't you yet addressed my statement that Warren is owned by super billionaire George Soros?

1) Because we have no idea that you made this statement anywhere.

2) Because it's idiotic to say that she's "owned" by him and to imply that he's merely a "corporatist."

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2019 1:17 PM

Mrs. Berniece Kugelmann @ R40, I think you made that up.

Buttigieg is far too calculating to ever be caught with a corndog in his mouth, or even in his hand, at any event anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2019 1:20 PM

R60, that’s a lie and that lie is exactly why blacks hate Pete with a passion. They are too lazy to find out the facts.

Pete reappointed Darryl Boykins as police chief when he took office. He interviewed several others but went with Boykins.

He fired Boykins because he broke the law. The FBI came to tell Pete the Boykins broke the law by illegally bugging people without their consent. That’s against the law there. What was he supposed to do, nothing? Give him a medal? He’s the police chief, not a Hollywood actress. There is no leeway. You can’t be the police chief and a criminal at the same time.

All the Boykins had to do is send out a blanket memo, saying the conversations there were not private, and could be monitored, and he’d still work there.

Anyone responsible enough to be a police chief should be grown up enough to accept the consequences of their own actions, not whine about it and cry racism.

Boykins also berated the other men that interviewed with Pete, saying they were disloyal to him. He told one he was a “backstabber” for interviewing for the job. That’s unprofessional at the least. The taping, according to the lawsuit, wasn’t based on racism, it was based on revenge against those that applied for Boykins’ job. The racism wasn’t revealed until after Boykins heard the tape. Not before.

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2019 1:25 PM

[quote] at 5'8" he is going to look ridiculously short next to 6'3" tall Trump

If that shrimp is 5'8", I'm the Queen of England.

by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote] For those slamming Mayor Pete for being a "corporatist," why haven't you yet addressed my statement that Warren is owned by super billionaire George Soros?

This is why people are saying Pete is a corporatist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2019 1:54 PM

R70 The spin isn't going to work, we know the truth it's all over the internet.

The truth is out on petey boy.

by Anonymousreply 73October 30, 2019 2:11 PM

He's a serious candidate whether you like him or not. Stop infantilising him r73.

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2019 2:35 PM

I won Iowa, remember?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2019 3:00 PM

Buttigieg is going to have to settle for White House Chief of Staff.

by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2019 4:18 PM

[quote] that lie is exactly why blacks hate Pete with a passion. They are too lazy to find out the facts.

Why do you lie and exaggerate like this? You're a ridiculous person. And the vast majority of ALL primary voters know jack shit about anything that happened in South Bend, let alone have a strong opinion on it.

Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote]Pete has serious issues in southbend. He fired the only black police chief because he exposed corruption in the police department.

That's bullshit, stop repeating lies. He fired the black police chief because when the chief discovered corruption, he TRIED TO BLACKMAIL THE OFFICERS INVOLVED. When that failed, he "exposed" the corruption.

by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2019 8:57 PM

Fuck off, anti-Pete Troll. We know who you are. We know you're mentally ill. Now go play on the freeway.

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2019 8:59 PM

R79. Delusional gay fan.

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2019 9:09 PM

I would like to know if Mayor Pete fucked dudes at Harvard, or was he fucking women, or was he fucking no one?

I would like to now if Mayor Pete was fucking dudes when he was in the Army. Or no fucking.

I guess I can understand it taking a long time for some guy to come out but I also don't want to hear he didn't get with dudes in two very hot dating pools - Harvard and Army.

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2019 11:28 PM

Trump is 6'3" wide, not tall.

by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2019 12:09 AM

Pete has a race problem.

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2019 12:18 AM

Pete currently surging in Iowa, big time. I won't be surprised if he wins it in an upset. Meanwhile, Kamala is betting everything on Iowa, and may be gone soon if she doesn't really perform.

by Anonymousreply 84November 3, 2019 4:57 AM

Buttigieg is positioning himself as the safe, centrist choice who won’t die in office like Biden.

by Anonymousreply 85November 3, 2019 5:30 AM

Maybe it will be like when Richard Hatch won the first season of survivor.

by Anonymousreply 86November 3, 2019 5:42 AM

I'm in Iowa and will be attending a caucus. I'm still trying to make up my mind because I want a winner. I'm torn between Biden, mayor Pete, and Sen. Klobuchar. Probably won't decide until middle January.

by Anonymousreply 87November 3, 2019 5:49 AM

[quote] Or rather, I think he's in the campaign to promote his career foremost.

Yes. Pete is aligning with many other US politicians.

Out for themselves.

Which wouldn’t be any issue, but it comes at the (literal and figurative) expense of the country. And to the detriment of its citizens.

Whatever happened to the idea of Statesmen and women?

Perhaps the system favors (no pun intended) those only out for themselves. But it does not serve the USA. At all.

Is -or was - there any candidate who could actually be out for the betterment of others? Not just merely themselves? After Trump, we are yearning for someone who has decency and thinks of others...,

by Anonymousreply 88November 3, 2019 5:49 PM

Pete will win Iowa.

Then crash and burn in the South and every other state like a gay Paul Tsongas.

by Anonymousreply 89November 3, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote] I'm torn between Biden, mayor Pete, and Sen. Klobuchar

Shaky voice, “I’m throwing the stapler at your head”, Madame Klobuchar?

Her verbal wavering when publicly speaking belies a lack of confidence or seething rage.

Then again, as a child of alcoholics could be both.

Hard pass on Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 90November 3, 2019 5:54 PM

Wins Iowa, loses New Hampshire to Sanders, loses South Carolina to Biden, loses Nevada to Sanders or Warren. Get ready for a brokered convention aka chaos.

by Anonymousreply 91November 3, 2019 6:18 PM

r83 Yep, a lot of black people are prejudiced. The irony...

by Anonymousreply 92November 3, 2019 6:21 PM

[quote]Wins Iowa, loses New Hampshire to Sanders, loses South Carolina to Biden, loses Nevada to Sanders or Warren. Get ready for a brokered convention aka chaos.

"I'm ready for my closeup, DNC ... "

by Anonymousreply 93November 3, 2019 6:23 PM

R91, How would a brokered convention appease the Progressives and the Moderate wings of the party? Split ticket? Combined slate with the top 4 or 5 automatically getting Cabinet positions? Mayor Pete would make a fab Secretary of State especially with his gift for languages.

Still wondering since so many are not satisfied with any of the contenders whom else could be roped in to run for POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 94November 3, 2019 6:45 PM

Biden looks more and more feeble every time I see him. And now he says Iowa doesn't matter? He won't win NH for sure - so he is going to the third primary and hope he starts surging from there? The man is a FOOL

by Anonymousreply 95November 5, 2019 12:03 AM

I can't wait for the brokered convention. It will be must-watch TV!

Hillary will ride in on her white horse and save the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 5, 2019 12:08 AM

Many a truth is spoken in jest, R96.

by Anonymousreply 97November 5, 2019 12:12 AM

If Buttigieg were to win Trump would obliterate him regardless of how smart he is. I don’t see how Trump is defeatable except for an impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 98November 5, 2019 12:12 AM

R95, Wonder if NV all powerful union, which now essentially runs the state as far as who gets elected to anything, will abandon Biden if another candidate has a very strong showing plus momentum in the 1st two primaries.

Can't see unions backing anyone advocating taxing the elite who own casinos. Since their members all have medical plans would they want MCA with the assumption middle-class Americans would pay more in taxes? You would not believe how much many union members make in salary, overtime, and tips. Unfortunately it's often paid on Fri and broke by Mon. Also unions wouldn't be in favor of forgiving college loans or free college plans.

So if Biden falters would the unions back the next Centrist down the line meaning Mayor Pete?

by Anonymousreply 99November 5, 2019 12:26 AM

If it ends up being a brokered convention, the only solution would be Hillary Clinton at the top of the ticket and either Pete or Warren as VP. I don't think Biden would want to be VP again.

What other choice do we have?

by Anonymousreply 100November 5, 2019 12:27 AM

R100, Do you really think HRC would win this time against Trump?

by Anonymousreply 101November 5, 2019 12:29 AM

I like Mayor Pete but just don't think the US is ready for a Gay President. An African-American President yes. A Female President no. A moronic idiotic stupid as fuck President yes. A Gay President no.

If Biden wins the nomination, which I think he'll do in the end, he should nominate Mayor Pete as VP, then announce he won't run for re-election is 2024, opening it up for then-Mayor now-Vice President Buttigieg to run and win.

Yes, pie in the sky cause I think (dream? fantasize?) that the GOP will be wiped out in 2020 and beyond. But the way things are going, the moronic idiotic stupid as fuck President will be re-elected, the GOP will keep control of the Senate, the Dems control of the House and the Supreme Court will be lost for generations to come. And the moronic idiotic stupid as fuck President will be untouchable, even going so far as saying that yeah, he's Putin's bitch and what are you gonna do about it!

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 102November 5, 2019 12:39 AM

Pete is going to win in Iowa and be the nominee. He’s firing up the Democrats where he needs to.

by Anonymousreply 103November 5, 2019 12:50 AM

Trump didn’t beat Hillary. The Democrats beat Hillary because they were so unenthused about her.

by Anonymousreply 104November 5, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote]If Biden wins the nomination, which I think he'll do in the end, he should nominate Mayor Pete as VP, then announce he won't run for re-election is 2024, opening it up for then-Mayor now-Vice President Buttigieg to run and win.

That is so selfish and entitled. It's going to take more than one term to undo the damage the current administration is causing. So what's the point of Biden even running if he's not going to be up to the task? What does he just want the cache of saying he beat Trump, but not be bothered to do any of the actual work once he gets into office?

And who's to say a democrat could even win in 2024? If Biden does a lackluster job, and the Republicans get their shit together, we could be back in the same boat again.

This is what pisses a lot of people off about Biden running. His supporters have been trotting out this scenario for a while now, and it's disgusting. The presidency is work, it's not a fucking vanity position like Miss America.

by Anonymousreply 105November 5, 2019 12:55 AM

I live in Iowa and I do see a lot of yard signs for pete......generally in more prosperous neighborhoods. During the Iowa state fair this August, when regular people were interviewed on the local news about who their preferences were at that point.............it was Warren and Pete and not necessairly in that order. NOBODY mentioned being intrigued or likely to vote for Biden. I have no idea how Iowa will go in its caucuses in Jan.

SO far the only political phone call Ive gotten as to my leanings at the caucus was from the Biden organization and I told them to fuck off. Corporate america and the corporate media hold a lot of sway in opinion shaping and they are going to be hard at work opposing Warren and Sanders for sure .........so Pete may benefit from that.

by Anonymousreply 106November 5, 2019 1:06 AM

Pete is the only midwesterner running. And a moderate midwesterner at that.

I would not be at all surprised if he wins or comes in a very strong second.

by Anonymousreply 107November 5, 2019 1:11 AM

I feel like we're hitching our wagon to old mule Joe Biden. What if he drops dead sometime over the coming year? Or just drops out of the race?

What is Plan B? Warren, Buttigieg, Sanders... are all wildcard candidates.

Scary...

by Anonymousreply 108November 5, 2019 1:15 AM

I don’t care, this is my truth: I like Pete, I like centrism, I would suck his center-left establishment cock. I hope he wins the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 109November 5, 2019 1:17 AM

R108, you do realize that Sanders is older and has fucked up ticker, right?

by Anonymousreply 110November 5, 2019 1:22 AM

"I am that little Plan B candidate"

by Anonymousreply 111November 5, 2019 1:27 AM

One of the key dynamics is the relentless "othering" of Bernie Sanders (esp. by centrist Democrats)—as if he's weird, crazy, somehow impossible to assimilate. Rhetoric that always fixes on his supposed personal characteristics (old, bad ticker, "socialist"! etc.), never on his ideas or plans or what he wants to do (Warren has stolen most of those). He's a boring, banal politician, 30 years in the Senate, a backbencher but utterly consistent in his views, very conventional and uncharismatic. But he's somehow too "weird" to contemplate. Very similar things are being done to Jeremy Corbyn in the UK (esp. by the center-left Guardian).

by Anonymousreply 112November 5, 2019 1:39 AM

[quote]Rhetoric that always fixes on his supposed personal characteristics (old, bad ticker, "socialist"! etc.),

No, no no... My point was you can't call Biden old in one sentence and offer Sanders as a plan b when he is older and obviously not as healthy.

And while we're on the subject, Bernie's plans and ideas are complete socialist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 113November 5, 2019 2:00 AM

r113 I agree with your first point.

by Anonymousreply 114November 5, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote] Trump didn’t beat Hillary. The Democrats beat Hillary because they were so unenthused about her.

Keep telling yourself that. Trump is masterful at manipulating the media and he'll be at his old tricks again in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 115November 5, 2019 3:16 AM

Its the facts.

by Anonymousreply 116November 5, 2019 7:14 AM

Pete's not Republican lite. He's just not using coastal language. He understands the Midwest and is using strategic talking points to appeal to every voting block the elitist Democrats have alienated.

by Anonymousreply 117November 5, 2019 8:36 AM

r117, here's a word that the Midwest understands. Cocksucker.

That's why Buttigieg will never be President of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 118November 5, 2019 11:23 AM

R104 True and I agree. But we ended up with the disastrous results because of a perfect storm, and that we have a state-run network. When he said he would get away with shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, he was right. He would. Just like he's getting away with every single piece of crap that he does day after day after day. He's not the President. He's some joke that spends his day watching Fox News. Who's guarding the hen house? Cause all the foxes are have a glorious feast!

by Anonymousreply 119November 5, 2019 11:39 AM

Pete is a no goer.

He spouts articulate platitudes. He is young. And gay. And given his “porn star presidency” comment, became the “shiny, new thing”candidate.

But a deep dive into the guy, his words and polices reveals concerning issues. His experience - or lack thereof - is a first issue. Speak to folks in South Bend? Would recommend doing so. Many of them. As he is not quite as popular as the media first presented. (And this does not even address his complete LACK of federal experience in one of the MOST critical US elections in history.)

Then there is his overt love affair with corporate bosses and the wealthy. His Zuckerberg pandering, McKinsey history, private jet extravaganzas and hobnobbing with the very, very wealthy seems to be too cozy.

Not to mention his weird emotive demonstrations. Described as “woody”. “Robotic”. He comes across as a technocrat: attacking and defensive to other Dems, in what appear to be interactions that just are socially “off”.

And he flip flops on his policies to the whims of others. Read his book? Full again of platitudes and philosophy....but where is the substance? Great that he’s a polyglot and musician, but where is his depth? His passion? Not just his smooth-talking where he “loves to see folks’reactions to his speeches”.

He might as well be a Republican. I’ve come across more authentic, personable and warmer ones.

by Anonymousreply 120November 5, 2019 12:15 PM

^^But a deep dive into the guy, his words and POLICIES reveals concerning issues.

by Anonymousreply 121November 5, 2019 12:20 PM

Most people in this site just want a homo president. To hell with his lack of personality that does not appeal to most Americans. He is a vanity experiment.

by Anonymousreply 122November 5, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote] Most people in this site just want a homo president. To hell with his lack of personality that does not appeal to most Americans. He is a vanity experiment.

Yes. Beginning to recognize this, R122.

by Anonymousreply 123November 5, 2019 12:28 PM

[quote] ...his weird emotive demonstrations.

Data Lounge Gold!!!

Thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 124November 5, 2019 12:31 PM

[quote]Pete is the only midwesterner running.

Oh dear r107.

Amy Klobuchar says hi.

by Anonymousreply 125November 5, 2019 12:32 PM

"Shiny object," my ass.

[quote] New UT/@TexasTribune poll: 59% of Texas voters support assault weapons ban

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 5, 2019 12:53 PM

R104 Hillary beat Hillary. That old saying comes to mind: "I'd call her a cunt, but she lacks warmth and depth."

by Anonymousreply 127November 5, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote] A Female President no.

That’s a curious comment, considering HRC got a higher win percentage of the vote than any man except Obama in ‘08. And now we know exactly why she lost the electoral college.

I would say the US is more than ready for a female president.

by Anonymousreply 128November 5, 2019 12:58 PM

A lot of the shit some of you are spewing forth about Pete is almost word for word the same as the shit some democrats were spewing about Obama running in 2007. Just substitute gay for black. Personally, I don't think Pete is going to get the nomination this time even though I would love it. But, in case he does, if he runs a smart, tight campaign like Obama did. He can win. Stop with the defeatist attitudes because Pete is gay. The man has a positive message and smart, common sense, ideas that can win elections with a broad electorate. And give it on this corporatist, Zuckerberg bullshit. You show your real intentions and what real nonsense you're up when you bring that up. Who cares. The man is a politician trying to raise money.

[quote]here's a word that the Midwest understands. Cocksucker.

There is so much internalized homophobia on this site.

by Anonymousreply 129November 5, 2019 1:09 PM

"... the relentless "othering" of Bernie Sanders"

You mean just being an elderly Jewish Independent Socialist isn't 'other' enough?

by Anonymousreply 130November 5, 2019 1:15 PM

#120 doesn't realize we have a former real estate developer turned reality TV personality- with a nude model wife- in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 131November 5, 2019 1:22 PM

Beto is ready to get behind Pete now. Behind him all the way. Beto knows he can thrust Pete into the Winner’s Circle.

by Anonymousreply 132November 5, 2019 1:23 PM

he is polling fourth in iowa. fourth.

by Anonymousreply 133November 5, 2019 1:24 PM

Thank you R127

You will be branded a Russian Troll, a Milo-loving Alt Right troll and a vapid Millennial for that, but you are 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 134November 5, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote] That old saying comes to mind: "I'd call her a cunt, but she lacks warmth and depth."

That's an old saying?!? Really?

by Anonymousreply 135November 5, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote] #120 doesn't realize we have a former real estate developer turned reality TV personality- with a nude model wife- in the White House

Yes, R131, R120 DOES realize we have a former real estate developer turned reality TV personality-with a nude model wife-in the White House.

Many (not myself) voted him into office as they wanted a change from the “corrupt” system of politicians. Unfortunately, the swamp only deepened.

And a return to corporatist-loving politicians: how is that going to go over? Especially when dealing with the aftermath of Trump’s blatant corruption. ALSO, Pete has NO federal government experience. Zilch.Zippo.None.

He is NOT presidential material. It’s only his ego (akin to the Harvard crowd he and Zuck align with), that is promulgating this absurd proposition.

PS: Honestly speak to actual residents in South Bend. We have family there and they are incredibly dissatisfied with their mayor.

by Anonymousreply 136November 5, 2019 5:18 PM

[quote] And give it on this corporatist, Zuckerberg bullshit. You show your real intentions and what real nonsense you're up when you bring that up. Who cares. The man is a politician trying to raise money.

Real intentions? Nonsense? Are you describing yourself, R129?

I beg to differ. MANY of us care.

This country is devolving. “Business” has taken precedence over individuals and become powerful behemoths dictating policy and furthering corruption in the USA.

The rich are becoming richer and the poor, poorer.

Excusing Pete’s pandering to the VERY wealthy does a grave disservice to the ideals of The United States of America.

by Anonymousreply 137November 5, 2019 5:28 PM

Pete’s going to be the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 138November 6, 2019 8:30 AM

Biden/Kamala is the winning ticket.

by Anonymousreply 139November 6, 2019 8:50 AM

OP, Pete will win Iowa?

Pete can have Iowa. Who wants it? Who needs it? It is white Midwestern perfection for boring Pete and his boring spouse.

by Anonymousreply 140November 6, 2019 11:59 AM

I wonder if he has any skeletons that will be revealed later in the campaign?

by Anonymousreply 141November 6, 2019 3:12 PM

If we had just one nation-wide single Dem primary, Pete would come in second after Biden.

It's unfortunate he won't get out of South Carolina alive, figuratively (and maybe literally).

by Anonymousreply 142November 6, 2019 7:52 PM

I still think Joe will win Iowa. But does he really want too? He should stop smearing Elizabeth because that does not make people like him.

by Anonymousreply 143November 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Workers can not get ahead and they are very upset that they can not figure out who to blame...,THE REPUBLICANS ALWAYS VOTE AGAINST THE WORKERS, when will Americans wise up?

by Anonymousreply 144November 6, 2019 8:48 PM

Trump won the white vote, especially white males, and can probably win it again if we don’t get someone that appeals to white voters. Pete can get whites and the Midwest.

As far as “people won’t vote for a gay man,” that may be true in Southern states Democrats can’t carry. But even in Texas there’s a lot of gay politicians that win. Pete is doing very well in Iowa and considering he wasn’t known before this, it seems like they are basing it on his campaigning. Iowa isn’t famous for being a bunch of wild eyed liberals. I’ve seen a bunch of interviews with Iowans about Pete. The ones that like him are always talking about his moderate views and policies. They’re very specific about liking specific policies he has. It’s a lot of older people too. Which is interesting, considering he’s a married, out gay man. They don’t seem to care much. Maybe because they’re Democrats.

Moderates are an important part of the Democratic Party, especially in more conservative states. Writing off anyone who isn’t a left wing liberal as “corrupt,” or stupid, like Warren is doing, is a big mistake.

I think it’s not necessarily true that Pete is unelectable because he’s gay. The homophobes are mostly Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 145November 6, 2019 9:31 PM

Trump does crazy well with white, non college educated people and they turn out for him. I don’t think he does all that well with white/college educated people.

by Anonymousreply 146November 6, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]Iowa isn’t famous for being a bunch of wild eyed liberals.

This isn't a general election audience. Nor is it even a democratic primary audience. It is a democratic caucus, so it attracts the activist types that are willing to spend several hours one night in their local school completing the caucus process.

by Anonymousreply 147November 6, 2019 9:58 PM

New @QuinnipiacPoll of Iowa:

Elizabeth Warren - 20% Buttigieg - 19% Sanders - 17% Biden - 15% Klobuchar -5% Harris - 4% Steyer - 3 % Gabbard - 3 % Yang - 3 %

by Anonymousreply 148November 6, 2019 10:52 PM

I hope Pete wins Iowa, and Tulsi wins New Hampshire, and then the world explodes in gay aloha~

Biden can win South Carolina I guess

by Anonymousreply 149November 6, 2019 10:55 PM

Times up for Booker and Castro.

by Anonymousreply 150November 6, 2019 11:42 PM

Pete may do well in Iowa and New Hampshire but he will die in the South.

by Anonymousreply 151November 7, 2019 12:10 AM

About 62% of America is non-hispanic white. As 90+% white states Iowa and New Hampshire do not resemble "real America"

by Anonymousreply 152November 7, 2019 12:14 AM

The Iowa numbers do look quite a bit different than national polls, with Buttigieg much stronger and Biden much weaker. Interestingly, Warren isn’t doing appreciably better in Iowa than in national polls, perhaps because she loses support to Buttigieg (both are competing for white, college-educated voters). Sanders is a tiny bit weaker in Iowa than he is nationally. Steyer and Amy Klobuchar are slightly stronger.

In New Hampshire, some of the same patterns hold, although less profoundly. And Warren slightly overperforms her national numbers.

But Iowa and New Hampshire’s Democratic electorates are both quite white and quite liberal, which plays to the strength of some candidates more than others. It’s disadvantageous for Biden, who relies on a coalition of black Democrats and moderate, usually non-college-educated white Democrats.

Nevada, which is more working-class and more racially diverse, is a stronger state for Biden, as well as for Sanders, who like Biden does better among voters who did not attend college. And South Carolina, which has both a lot of African-American voters and a lot of moderate white voters, is a very strong state for Biden, as his polling average there (35.7 percent) more than doubles that of the second-place candidate, Warren.

Overall, if you weight the early-state polling averages by the number of Democrats in each state, 1 they show Biden at 27.5 percent — similar to his national polling average during this period, which is 28.6 percent. Warren, at 19.5 percent in the early-state average, and Sanders, at 14.2 percent, are actually a bit weaker in early states overall than in national polls. And Buttigieg is at best slightly stronger in the early states; his good numbers in Iowa and to a lesser extent New Hampshire are counteracted by weak ones in Nevada and South Carolina.

This is gonna be a mess. Ugh. The primary going to weaken the eventual winner whomever that may be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 7, 2019 12:23 AM

I don't believe in coronations, but the Democrats should have already unified behind one candidate and the rest of these jokers should have already ended their campaigns. Every democrat should have the same goal, get rid of Trump. I don't understand why that's lost on so many people. Stop worrying about getting free healthcare and worry about the damned courts.

by Anonymousreply 154November 7, 2019 1:41 AM

r154, WTF? Already unified behind one candidate? NO VOTES have even been taking yet! What the hell are you on about???

by Anonymousreply 155November 7, 2019 1:52 AM

Nevada will go for Pete. The states turning into California lite. And Pete is inspiring. I was born in LA and for the past six years I’ve been in Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 156November 7, 2019 6:08 AM

R36 - You owe me and anyone else who read your drivel bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 157November 7, 2019 9:25 AM

I don't see his win would throw the race into chaos. His campaign has been building for quite some time now, and visibly.

by Anonymousreply 158November 7, 2019 9:44 AM

Half of Las Vegas is from California. Las Vegas is the big population center in Nevada. R156, me too! San Fernando Valley.

I just caught the tail end of a segment on CNN. They were interviewing about eight fraus from swing districts in PA. They asked who supported Buttigieg. All but two put their hands up. One was an older woman that liked Biden. I don’t think the other one made up her mind yet.

They were asked, why. They described Buttigieg’s background as well educated, and said they liked his policies. It sounded like they were saying, he’s the opposite of Trump.

It’s true that a lot of years, the voters pick someone that’s the opposite of the current regime. The young, elegant Kennedys after the old, dowdy Eisenhowers, the Obamas after the Bushes, the settled Bushes after the drama of the Clintons’ marital woes, etc. I think being tired of one type of person can be a powerful motivator, even if you don’t necessarily hate that type of person.

Yesterday Chasten tweeted a reminder that now’s a good time to go to Home Goods to get the best Christmas decor before it’s all gone. Think about that. The anti-Melania. Down to earth, middle class. Frau catnip. I saw that and I thought, this guy is frau heaven. He’s like Pete’s secret weapon.

People are assuming that having a gay husband is a negative for a lot of people. But what if the gay husband is every frau’s dream girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 159November 7, 2019 11:59 AM

[Quote] Yesterday Chasten tweeted a reminder that now’s a good time to go to Home Goods to get the best Christmas decor before it’s all gone. Think about that.

I just checked his Twitter out. Pete's campaign is different from anyone else's. There's no anger.

by Anonymousreply 160November 7, 2019 12:14 PM

Pete is doing terrible in Nevada dear r156.

by Anonymousreply 161November 7, 2019 12:35 PM

The only people that like him and his frau husband is white female fraus.

by Anonymousreply 162November 7, 2019 12:52 PM

Nevada won't matter. Pete will be dead after Super Tuesday and the South.

by Anonymousreply 163November 7, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote] Yesterday Chasten tweeted a reminder that now’s a good time to go to Home Goods to get the best Christmas decor before it’s all gone. Think about that. The anti-Melania. Down to earth, middle class. Frau catnip. I saw that and I thought, this guy is frau heaven. He’s like Pete’s secret weapon. People are assuming that having a gay husband is a negative for a lot of people. But what if the gay husband is every frau’s dream girlfriend?

This line of thinking is extremely disturbing. Gay men are not women.

by Anonymousreply 164November 7, 2019 1:03 PM

R164, we’re talking about voters. There’s no point in dismissing them.

I don’t agree with Trump voters, but that doesn’t mean we can dismiss their ability to elect a President.

by Anonymousreply 165November 7, 2019 1:10 PM

From the pages of Essence magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 7, 2019 1:28 PM

No one is dismissing voters, but your line of thinking is not only patronizing and misogynistic, it's also wrong. Women had no problem voting for Trump, they didn't care about Melania and whether she posed nude. Except gay men of DL were convinced it would matter.

by Anonymousreply 167November 7, 2019 1:31 PM

The "It's going to take more than one term to undo the damage the current administration is causing" troll is tedious.

by Anonymousreply 168November 7, 2019 2:17 PM

The attacks will mount the more he races ahead.

by Anonymousreply 169November 7, 2019 2:38 PM

He'll have to play the gay card.

by Anonymousreply 170November 7, 2019 2:39 PM

Butti-bump in the polls.

by Anonymousreply 171November 7, 2019 2:40 PM

And that would be a Queen?

by Anonymousreply 172November 7, 2019 2:51 PM

R166, his campaign hasn't said one word about homophobia being the reason black people don't support him. In fact, whenever asked, he says that the low black support is because they're not familiar with him yet. He puts tons of effort in speaking to AA audiences, organizations, etc. The homophobia argument was made by others not connected to his campaign. However, since you went there, you know well and good that homophobia is one of the main reasons black people don't support him. But keep putting your head in the sand.

by Anonymousreply 173November 7, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote] In fact, whenever asked, he says that the low black support is because they're not familiar with him yet.

Everyone knows the gay guy running. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 174November 7, 2019 3:44 PM

r173 getting ready to blame black voters for his eventual loss if he gets the nomination. You Pete stans never fail to amuse me. He's just not a good candidate. He's offered nothing to the black community and he's been silent on how the blacks of South Bend were treated when he was mayor.

Not even the QTs are on Pete's side. Just drop it this is the gay white male candidate.

by Anonymousreply 175November 7, 2019 4:49 PM

No chaos. It is the way ground games work. They run under the radar.

Pete is using the Carter playbook. He will eventually switch to the Obama playbook for the win.

by Anonymousreply 176November 7, 2019 4:55 PM

If all you now about him is he’s “the gay guy,” then you don’t know him.

Is Kamala “the black woman”? Is Cory Booker “the black man“? Is Biden “the white man”? If that’s all, you need to go back and pay some attention.

by Anonymousreply 177November 7, 2019 6:55 PM

The point is that is the fact that he is the first openly gay candidate running for president generates a lot of press. Even before you know anything else about him, that makes him stand out.

by Anonymousreply 178November 7, 2019 7:14 PM

[Quote] this is the gay white male candidate.

Fine by me!

by Anonymousreply 179November 7, 2019 8:05 PM

In the early 1980s, I had two identical though completely separate roommate things happen:

I was asked to be a straight guy’s roommate for the following semester. Then, he apparently talked it up with his friends, and found out I was gay, then politely told me the deal was off. This actually happened twice, with different guys. It’s been a long time since then, but I don’t think these dinosaurs have really changed. The bigotry has just gone underground. So, I don’t think they will actually pull that lever for Pete.

Oddly, one of those guys Facebooked me, out of the blue. One of the few times I have been so contacted. He said he didn’t use Facebook or contact many people, but I was one of the “good ones”. It made me wonder if he mixed me up with someone else! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 180November 7, 2019 8:51 PM

So r180 men like your Facebook friend WILL pull that lever for Pete. In private.

by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2019 8:59 PM

I hope so, R181. Obama was a revolution. Maybe Pete will, too.

I heard a comedian then talking about a black guy who was pledged to Hillary: “Oh, please. Are you saying you’re not going to vote for another brother when you have the chance?” I feel that way about Pete. As long as I don’t hear something wacky about his policies or ability to serve.

by Anonymousreply 182November 7, 2019 9:05 PM

R120 and R122 hit the nail on the head. Buttigieg is not qualified to be President. He was groomed by the Democratic machine for obvious reasons, but he's not a legitimate Democrat, so I oppose his candidacy for POTUS or VP. I wish him well in other, more appropriate endeavors.

One reason we got Barack Obama as the 2008 candidate instead of the more-qualified Hillary Clinton is because internal polling revealed that the majority of Americans did not want a female President regardless of her party affiliation. I doubt Clinton could compete in 2020, but she did win in 2016. Anyone who thinks Trump's victory was legitimate probably also thinks Bush really won Florida in 2000.

I was part of a group involved with trying to get the elitist Electoral College eliminated, but like most critical issues, the overwhelming majority of Americans was just not interested. Evil people with radical agendas are aware of that fact and take advantage.

I don't appreciate the jerk who called Buttigieg an Aspie. Asperger's Syndrome was removed from the DSM-V in 2013, and I consider it fabricated bullshit. However, the criteria for AS include normal language and intelligence. Obviously, Buttigieg has a high I.Q. Just another example that gays (most likely) like to label, insult and discriminate against people, but they get hellfire mad when that happens to them.

by Anonymousreply 183November 7, 2019 9:09 PM

In this post Obama world, Pete is more qualified than Trump.

Obama was a community organizer and a Senator.

Pete is a veteran and a mayor.

Trump is a lying criminal business man.

by Anonymousreply 184November 7, 2019 9:21 PM

How is Buttigieg not a legitimate Democrat?

I could see someone saying that about Warren in some cases, since she was a Republican until the 90’s. But everyone else running, except Bernie, who says he’s a Socialist, seems to be a long term Democrat to me.

Some of this talk sounds like the stuff that was said about Obama. He was held to an impossible standard. Not black enough. Acts white. He was raised by white people so what do you expect?

Same with Buttigieg. He was raised by conservative, religious midwesterners in the Midwest. The fact that they had a Maltese background doesn’t really change that. He is not going to be a flamboyant gay or flamboyant anything else. That’s just not him. He’s a moderate type guy.

So is Biden, but nobody says he’s inauthentic for it. If anything, that‘s what makes Biden authentic because that’s how he really thinks.

At some point you just have to agree to disagree without slamming people for being themselves.

by Anonymousreply 185November 7, 2019 9:22 PM

I’ve come to believe that while experience is necessary, it’s more important...

To choose good advisors

To have the humility to use these advisors. (Trump infamously does not.)

To know when you don’t know something.

Good judgement. Kennedy’s decision to embargo Cuber instead of fighting, was a good one. His decision to respond to a conciliatory USSR message and ignore the later contentious message was a good one.

Good people skills.

A knowledge of history. Recent history to explain why things are, as they are; and long term history to better understand how things have turned out when you do whatever you’re thinking of doing.

Smarts.

Judging from Trump, things seem to run themselves if setup properly.

by Anonymousreply 186November 7, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]Judging from Trump, things seem to run themselves if setup properly.

Hire the corrupt and everything will work out.

They already know the drill.

by Anonymousreply 187November 7, 2019 9:32 PM

People complain about the deep state as if that’s something horrible, but Trump is the perfect example of why we need career government officials.

Where would we be right now if Trump could just fire every government official and replace them with people like Stephen Miller and Giuliani? Jesus Christ, the whole country would be under the ocean like Atlantis by now, or a glass parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 188November 7, 2019 9:36 PM

[Quote] Judging from Trump, things seem to run themselves if setup properly.

It has nothing to do with Trump except in that he's being handled by lobbyists and other agenda advisers like Kushner. GOP presidents like Reagan or W are usually figureheads. Running the country is a bigger job than running a casino into the ground or selling a few apartments to some Russians.

Only those with intellect like the Clintons, Obama, Pete or Warren will actually try to understand and formulate policy.

by Anonymousreply 189November 7, 2019 9:39 PM

Possible game changer if Bloomberg joins the race.

by Anonymousreply 190November 7, 2019 10:55 PM

R190 or Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 191November 7, 2019 11:18 PM

I want Bloomberg to get in the race and turn this shit upside down. All the candidates have been underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 192November 7, 2019 11:20 PM

Pete's not going anywhere. He's here for the long haul no matter how much racial and homophobic abuse heaped on him.

by Anonymousreply 193November 7, 2019 11:22 PM

Deep state = Solid state.

by Anonymousreply 194November 7, 2019 11:22 PM

Pete and Warren are far more impressive than Bloomberg.

by Anonymousreply 195November 7, 2019 11:24 PM

ditto r195.

by Anonymousreply 196November 7, 2019 11:27 PM

I hope Bloomberg and his massive ego will get rejected. The last thing we need is another dispshit billionaire to be President.

by Anonymousreply 197November 7, 2019 11:31 PM

I hope Bloomberg will be the one to face trump. Won't it be amazing if he eventually becomes president. Anything can happen. He might be the trump of the democratic party. someone whom most people were surprised could win.

by Anonymousreply 198November 7, 2019 11:38 PM

R198, You should read the comments on LSA about Bloomberg from NY voters. Does he really think he'll get minorities to vote for him?

by Anonymousreply 199November 7, 2019 11:53 PM

Sorry Hillary hating Trumper at r191 she's not entering the race, as much as you hope beyond hope that she will.

by Anonymousreply 200November 7, 2019 11:56 PM

R199. He just needs to peel off enough white voters from other candidates. I think he should start with Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 201November 8, 2019 12:05 AM

Bloomberg is entering the race. Another rich old white man. No thanks. Not what America needs.

by Anonymousreply 202November 8, 2019 12:42 AM

And what do all these “I hate Biden and Buttigieg because they are corporatists” people think of this?

You thought you had a corporatist before? This guy is a corporation unto himself.

Maybe he’ll make Biden and Buttigieg seem more middle of the road. Which they are.

by Anonymousreply 203November 8, 2019 12:49 AM

Pete is being interviewed by Chris Cuomo right now.

by Anonymousreply 204November 8, 2019 1:38 AM

Many of the problems that are burdening New York City right now can be traced back to Michael Bloomberg. He never met a banker he didn't like. As long as his peers were making be money, he thought things were going well. Not so.

If you think Trump is too close to his wealthy buddies, then you should know that Bloomberg is much worse. MOST of the citizens of the USA would never recover from a Bloomberg presidency.

by Anonymousreply 205November 8, 2019 1:55 AM

R161 Pete was doing terrible in Iowa until he wasn’t. He’ll win Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 206November 8, 2019 7:07 AM

Of course he will do well in Iowa which is one of the whitest states. It fits his basic whiteness. Nevada is different since it is not a whitey state.

by Anonymousreply 207November 8, 2019 9:57 AM

Go Pete!

by Anonymousreply 208November 8, 2019 10:00 AM

Iowa will give him momentum. Obama was in the same position in '08. Black voters were overwhelmingly pro Clinton until he showed he could challenge her.

by Anonymousreply 209November 8, 2019 10:01 AM

R209. For what exactly. Obama or any of the other democrats weren't polling terribly with black voters before they won iowa. Iowa cornfield basic whiteness love him because he represents their basicness.

by Anonymousreply 210November 8, 2019 10:08 AM

R207, NV has a large number of Latinx many of whom are union members. If the unions want Pete then he'll win the state. Way back when the unions did a media event with Biden. If Biden is seen as a loser then Pete will be their substitute. No way will the unions back a non-Moderate unless they're the only Democratic alternative.

by Anonymousreply 211November 8, 2019 10:20 AM

R211. Latino union workers might not vote for an openly gay candidate. They can be socially conservative.

by Anonymousreply 212November 8, 2019 10:32 AM

R212, your point has some merits, but is also oversimplification. For example, Cubans are often Republican. Latinos who are Democrats are also "socially conservative" as you mentioned; in general, they won't support a gay, white candidate, especially one who isn't Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 213November 8, 2019 10:40 AM

Re Las Vegas, Latinx and 2020 Democratic caucus, training is being held for non-English speaking voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214November 8, 2019 11:11 AM

Pete is great, but didn’t Pat Buchanan win Iowa?

by Anonymousreply 215November 8, 2019 11:15 AM

He’s tight with Zuckerberg that’s a huge red flag to me.

Hope he isn’t the nom but I will be a good dem and #votebluenomatterwho

by Anonymousreply 216November 8, 2019 11:24 AM

R212, You don't understand the power of the unions in NV. Guarantee that their slate will be NV' winner. Norther NV was going Red in 2012 until Las Vegas ie all current and retired union voters' ballots kicked in.

So far unions are backing Biden. If he continues to slip the unions will not be backing Sanders or Warren unless either one is the actual Democratic nominee.

by Anonymousreply 217November 8, 2019 11:29 AM

The Iowa caucuses are bs. I'm looking at NH for the eventual candidate.

by Anonymousreply 218November 8, 2019 11:33 AM

Iowa gained notoriety because of Jimmy Carter. Back in the day, 1976, and 1975, when Carter started his campaign, he had not one dime. But he had been quietly networking and meeting people round the country and so his early campaign stops were coffees at people's houses. In fact he rarely stayed in a motel, he would instead spend the night at the houses of his supporters.

He and his team worked Iowa to death, and he won the Iowa Caucus. It got national attention. Gradually he went from being "Jimmy Who?" to POTUS. The second time Iowa was important was for Obama. In order to be competitive, and have a serious shot at getting the nomination Obama had to do two things:He had to demonstrate that he could raise money in 2007, and he had to be able to appeal to white voters.

Iowa was Obama's opportunity to appeal to white voters and he did. By the thousands. THey had the highest participation in their history at the caucuses. Obama won. But other than that, Iowa is just not that important. And Pete winning in Iowa will not be that significant.Iowa and Indiana have a lot in common. Pete can't win the nomination. I wish he'd run for governor or for the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 219November 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Harry Enten, adorkable polling goof, was on CNN just now saying Pete is second in Iowa... a point behind Warren.

by Anonymousreply 220November 8, 2019 12:08 PM

His association and support from Zuckerberg and friends is problematic. He skews a bit too far right of moderate for me to enjoy his debate attacks and I spent enough time in Indiana to distrust his slick political appeal.

He will lose the South and by large amounts if he's the candidate. We cannot afford to lose this election. It's a nice dream, and if it comes true, I'll celebrate like everyone else, but as with Obama, I'll likely experience another 'legacy' candidate unwilling to rock the boat with the bold initiatives we need to reverse the GOP damage. Banksters should have gone to jail, but for two years Justice did nothing....

Let's see

by Anonymousreply 221November 8, 2019 12:20 PM

R221, I agree with most of what you said, but as to the Bankers who should have gone to jail I have to disagree. Eric Holder did a lot but he was limited by the Law. A lot of what happened was no illegal. That was the problem. And Congress and the Financial Services lobby ( and McConnell who was their biggest patron) fought every attempt to regulate them, watering down Dodd Frank, and severely limiting Elizabeth Warren as the head of a new agency. It wasn't negligence.

by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote]He will lose the South and by large amounts if he's the candidate.

No Democrat is going to win the south. Where have you been?

"He's too gay" "He's too tight with so and so". "Black people don't like him" "I don't like Chasten"... You Warren and Bernie sycophants really need some new talking points. The Warren supporters have now surpassed the Berniebros in their level of annoying and 'unhingedness'. And don't think that we aren't seeing that you all now are resorting to base antigay attacks all over social media.

by Anonymousreply 223November 8, 2019 12:43 PM

One of the interesting things Harry Enten said on CNN this morning was that 69% of those polled (Democrats) felt satisfied with the choice offered by the current slate. Bloomberg, Holder and anyone else thinking they're needed (I'm looking toward you, Chappaqua) are not needed according to the poll. Late entrants offer nothing.

by Anonymousreply 224November 8, 2019 1:12 PM

We get it, r223. You love Pete! But that doesn't mean everyone else has to. And if you have to resort to unfounded claims of homophobia from other democrats, then that shows you are the desperate one. The real gay bashers are Republicans and Trump supporters and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 225November 8, 2019 1:20 PM

R224, that poll is invalid, as it has nothing to do with how the eventual Democratic nominee will fare against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 226November 8, 2019 1:22 PM

What are you talking about? One of the questions was are you satisfied with the current slate of candidate? What's invalid about that?

by Anonymousreply 227November 8, 2019 1:24 PM

pete will win iowa, dump chasten, marry Bloomberg, eat meat, and become a STAR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228November 8, 2019 1:29 PM

[quote]We get it, [R223]. You love Pete! But that doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Yes, I do think Pete is a great candidate and would be an amazing President. I have never said that anyone has to vote for him. I just don't understand these attacks and lies about him, which have now gone into crazy town territory.

by Anonymousreply 229November 8, 2019 1:32 PM

R223, nuance is everything and I wrote the words 'by large amounts' as a very politically astute observation. The downticket Democrats will not benefit from this and it may hurt us in both houses of Congress.

Nothing I said was anti-gay in acknowledging the reality of voters, of both parties, in the South. I've lived there and I know.

There's nothing crazy town about anything I said. Your reactions, however......

by Anonymousreply 230November 8, 2019 1:33 PM

R229, the Warrenistas are quite upset these days.

by Anonymousreply 231November 8, 2019 1:34 PM

Ew, those faces he makes when he eats are so gross. He's really disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 232November 8, 2019 1:35 PM

I also love how the hysterical Pete supporter assumes I support Bernie or Warren for the nomination. I actually like Booker - no thanks for asking.

You know what they say about Assumptions, right?

by Anonymousreply 233November 8, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote][R223], nuance is everything and I wrote the words 'by large amounts' as a very politically astute observation. The downticket Democrats will not benefit from this and it may hurt us in both houses of Congress.

You don't know that. And if anyone has to worry about losing Congress, it's Warren and Bernie.

And, I didn't call you anti-gay R230. I was talking about the attacks and memes against Pete on social media.

by Anonymousreply 234November 8, 2019 1:38 PM

That photo at R228 is as close as Buttigieg will ever get to a good pork.

by Anonymousreply 235November 8, 2019 1:40 PM

Yes, I do KNOW that. You call me ignorant of Southern political reality in your post asking 'Where have I been?' - bitch, please

The rural folks in the South will NOT VOTE FOR PETE. Many of the urban will also not vote for Pete.

You quoted my post and went off on a rant about people attacking his orientation with veiled references.....was I supposed to think you were talking about everyone but me?

by Anonymousreply 236November 8, 2019 1:57 PM

[quote]You quoted my post and went off on a rant about people attacking his orientation with veiled references.....was I supposed to think you were talking about everyone but me?

Gurl, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 237November 8, 2019 2:05 PM

^^^typical male bullshit

Hysterical queens get all up in my shit and you tell me to calm down? You're laughable.

by Anonymousreply 238November 8, 2019 2:08 PM

R236, you’re the lesbian cyclist who yelled at me the other day, aren’t you?

by Anonymousreply 239November 8, 2019 2:09 PM

[quote]You know what they say about Assumptions, right?

That like all cliches it's a refuge for those who've Run out of nearly passable things to say?

by Anonymousreply 240November 8, 2019 2:10 PM

I think all of us need to just sit down and really think about who can win. IMO, Trump himself is the generator of our enthusiasm. But we still have to get people out to vote. We cannot afford to sit home. We need Obama level turn out. A big part of the problem in that regard, is the economy. It's doing well for many people. The good news is that people a re always insecure and feel they can do better.

Immigration is a double-edged sword. If you talk about immigration in a way that doesn't impose restrictions and rules, you will lose the voters. Even the ones who were appalled by babies being separated from their families. I think footage of kids in cages and screaming babies pulled from their parents' arms is effective. But we need to define how we will address it. Because the Republicans have done a very effective job of claiming the Democrats are for open borders when that is not true.

The three big winners for us are Healthcare, the Environment, and Gun Safety. Next comes Education and raising the minimum wage. Infrastructure is important but you need to frame it with lead in our drinking water and power outages. otherwise it's just a vague notion that has no immediate relevance.

by Anonymousreply 241November 8, 2019 2:37 PM

Jobs are always the biggest winner. If you don't understand that, you miss the essential ingredient of the American character: self-reliance.

It will be a long time if ever before this country embraces the collective outlook of Canada or Europe. It won't work. No one wants to believe anybody is getting anything for "free" in this country.

by Anonymousreply 242November 8, 2019 2:41 PM

R241, I must respectfully correct your error. NO, the economy certainly is not doing well for most people. Typically, working-class people and many middle-class people require 2 jobs if they are single, buying a home, and/or have children. Social Security & Medicare insurance programs are operating cash-negative and there are no trust funds. Many Americans are getting older and retiring.

There's always the matter of jobs, but there's no long-term solution. Corporations don't care that they use China for manufacturing, where slave labor is employed. At least 80% of all generic prescriptions filled here are of drugs imported from India and RX drugs are now flowing in from China, which is much worse. China has threatened to cut off its lending for deficit spending. The US dollar is in danger of losing its status as the world's reserve currency. The majority of Americans has no clue how close our economy is to collapse.

No Democratic candidate except Bernie Sanders has addressed any of the aforementioned issues, but he's not electable. Sanders was always an Independent in the Senate and I should know if he's officially changed. I'll support the Democratic candidate, but somebody who can defeat Trump needs to get real and get to work now.

Recently, I examined Pete Buttigieg's record and watched videos of his media appearances. He has impressive credentials, but he's not qualified to be POTUS. I've studied American political history & presidential elections since age 11. If Buttigieg is the nominee, sufficient citizens won't vote for him so that he'll receive the electoral votes necessary to defeat Trump. Anyone who believes Mayor Pete can defeat Trump isn't in touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 243November 8, 2019 4:48 PM

Meanwhile, a completely unqualified, Adderall-riddled idiot with dementia sits in the White House. And people had no problem voting for him and will gladly vote for him again with no qualms at all.

Trump tore up the rule book and threw it away.

by Anonymousreply 244November 8, 2019 6:47 PM

The treasonous anti American GOP tore up the rule book for him since he can't read.

by Anonymousreply 245November 8, 2019 8:10 PM

Buttigieg has improved his position over the past month. He has overtaken Harris and moved up to 4th, and is running 3rd in Iowa at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 9, 2019 12:46 AM

R246, I thought I'd seen an uptick in attacks and smears on facebook and twitter this week .Now I know why!

by Anonymousreply 247November 9, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote] The rural folks in the South will NOT VOTE FOR PETE. Many of the urban will also not vote for Pete.

They said similar things about electing a black President, but it didn’t stop Obama from winning two terms.

by Anonymousreply 248November 9, 2019 1:12 AM

r242 then you should be for Sanders' Federal Jobs Guarantee

by Anonymousreply 249November 9, 2019 1:45 AM

Kamala and Pete are likely best for VP at this stage. Who needs who? Biden needs Kamala and Warren maybe Pete.. Sanders is wonderful for many reasons - but not in the game despite his numbers.

by Anonymousreply 250November 9, 2019 3:26 AM

I'm actually not a partisan Bernie supporter, but I am still amazed at how people just treat him as totally "other," beyond the pale, obviously unelectable, too radical, etc., when he is in fact a very experienced and conventional politician, 30 years in the US Senate, is uncharismatic and unsexy and yet "the discourse" can't stop treating him as exotic, weird, out of bounds. Very strange.

by Anonymousreply 251November 9, 2019 4:15 AM

He's obviously charismatic to his cult, R251. They can't get enough of him.

by Anonymousreply 252November 9, 2019 4:18 AM

R251, my main problem with Bernie has always been that he is not a fucking democrat. He caucuses with them, but that's it. If you want to run in the democratic primary, you need to be a member of the party. I don't understand why that is not a bigger issue for more democrats. Even Tulsi Gabbard, as strange as her politics may be, calls herself a democrat.

by Anonymousreply 253November 9, 2019 4:25 AM

The Russians used Bernie to divide the Democratic Party to hurt Hillary’s chances in 2016. Tad Divine, Bernie’s chief strategist, worked with Paul Manafort and Konstantin Kilimnik to funnel Russian money to Bernie. Doesn’t anyone remember this? Bernie is only a Democrat when he’s running for President. When he lost the primary he promptly re-registered as an Independent. I don’t know how any Democrat in his right mind could consider Bernie suitable to head the Party.

by Anonymousreply 254November 9, 2019 7:26 AM

No, OP, he will not.

by Anonymousreply 255November 9, 2019 7:27 AM

Yes r255 he will.

by Anonymousreply 256November 9, 2019 8:28 AM

The end game is going to be Biden and someone like Harris or Stacy Abrams. And Biden will lose to Trump. I truly hope Bloomberg does not get in. I respected him. But he won't solve anything. He only adds to the confusion. Money is what is getting Pete the rise in the polls. He is able to fund his campaign to get maximum exposure. Guys like Castro & Booker, even Michael Bennet, aren't getting that kind of money. I blame Perez for a lot of this. There is no way in hell the field should be so crowded. Seven or Eight people is the maximum amount and even then it's too many. By now we should have no more than 5 candidates. Social media and cable makes everyone think they're a celebrity. I'm waiting for Tom Hanks or Will Sith to announce.

by Anonymousreply 257November 9, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote]I blame Perez for a lot of this. There is no way in hell the field should be so crowded. Seven or Eight people is the maximum amount and even then it's too many. By now we should have no more than 5 candidates.

Agree. This latest Bloomberg idiocy is starting to make the Democrats look less like a viable national political party and more like Clown College. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of party operations. Is there some actual rationale for not setting a close off date on the Democratic party's nomination process to keep new people from just jumping in whenever the fancy strikes them?

by Anonymousreply 258November 9, 2019 2:12 PM

Complete bullshit, R257. Pete was an unknown when he entered the race and had no money. It was his brilliant use of free media that got him a rise in the polls. Donations followed. Don't blame Pete for Castro, Booker and Bennet's lack of appeal. They could've agreed to any and all interviews as well. Of course, they wouldn't have been as effective.

by Anonymousreply 259November 9, 2019 3:03 PM

Not with that stupid face he makes when he eats. One corn dog at the Iowa State Fair and he's out of the race!

by Anonymousreply 260November 9, 2019 3:23 PM

Pete has worked his ass off. Anyone who doubts this guy's hustle and focus, has not been paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 261November 9, 2019 3:23 PM

Pete needs to stop quoting the Bible. Who does he think he's going to win over by doing that?

by Anonymousreply 262November 9, 2019 3:24 PM

R259, I don't think R257 is disputing that. But money at this point makes a world of difference, and the others you mentioned don't have it. I don't know why the others weren't making themselves available early on -- it's not like the senators were doing anything in Washington but sitting on their hands. But it seemed to be common complaint from the media that they couldn't get any interviews, while Buttigieg was "Sure, let's do it!" to absolutely everyone.

by Anonymousreply 263November 9, 2019 3:26 PM

NY Times has an article today about how much the other candidates hate Pete and how angry they are they he can raise more money than them. They also claim everything he says is based in focus groups. Biden and Klobuchar were particularly petty.

Pretty much everything he says is pretty consistent. I‘msure he has focus groups, as they all do. I think what they really mean is, they can’t understand why voters don’t like them, more than him.

To me, it says these people are behind the curve on what determines voters’ votes. One big concern for voters is that society and technology has changed so much in such a short time, the idea of hiring a seventy year old isn’t looking so great. But most of the front runners are too old to be running for a first term, really.

Secondly, a lot of voters are moderates. Saying “I’m the most radical one out there” is an eliminating factor for millions of voters. No matter what the person is saying.

Too many candidates believe the hype about people wanting the most radical change possible. No, some people do, but they’re not the majority. Most people don’t want the U.S. to become a wildly swinging pendulum to suit some candidate’s ego every four years. They want stability.

The Midwest, the middle class, and the middle of the road voter have more power than candidates want to believe. And most voters are cynics about the idea that some fairy godmother President is going to swoop down and overcome the GOP with his/her magic wand. Not gonna happen. It’s going to be four/eight years of obstructionism. So claiming, “this is what I’m going to do, with no obstruction of any kind, since the Republicans are going to shrink back at the very sight of me,” convinces very few. Everybody else is looking skeptically at such claims. Voters are battered by experience and dubious, as they should be.

None of this is Pete’s fault or has anything to do with him, but he’s getting money from it.

by Anonymousreply 264November 9, 2019 3:43 PM

That article was such sour grapes, r264. Castro and Beto are particularly pathetic. Beto calling Pete a "weather vane" candidate when Pete hasn't changed a single position and Beto desperately changed a few of his positions mid-run. And then Castro talking about Pete not appealing to black or Latino voters. Bitch, please! You don't appeal to any voters - white, black, Latino, etc. My favorite quote from that article was from Pete. "I'm not going to comment on the emotions of my competitors."

by Anonymousreply 265November 9, 2019 3:51 PM

Thanks R264 - just found and read the article. Holy shit. I'm headed over to unfollow some candidates on Twitter now.

by Anonymousreply 266November 9, 2019 4:17 PM

Here’s the article. It’s kind of long, but here’s some excerpts:

Joseph R. Biden Jr. was mingling with a handful of mayors backstage at a conference in Washington when an uninvited guest appeared.

It was Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., who’d launched an exploratory committee for his presidential run the day before, stopping by to say hello. Mr. Biden turned to greet Mr. Buttigieg, a man less than half his age.

“Hello, Mr. President,” Mr. Biden said, in a voice dripping with condescension.

Warren: “I’m not running some consultant-driven campaign with some vague ideas that are designed not to offend anyone,” she said.

Klobuchar: Asked in June about Mr. Buttigieg’s qualifications to be president relative to the female candidates in the race, Sen. Klobuchar was unsparing in her assessment.

“Could we be running with less experience than we had? I don’t think so,” she said. “I don’t think people would take us seriously.”

Over the summer, a simple mention of Mr. Buttigieg’s name during a conversation in the Senate chamber between Senator Cory Booker and Ms. Klobuchar was enough to make Ms. Klobuchar extremely agitated, according to witnesses.

Ms. Klobuchar, during an interview last weekend in Iowa, declined to answer when asked if Mr. Buttigieg is qualified to be president. Instead she pointed to his electoral record, which she said shows no signs he could beat President Trump in a general election.

“I think it’s important to look at someone’s track record to see what’s happened when they’ve run statewide,” she said. “There’s got to be some value put on someone that has been able consistently to show that they can bring people with them. Not in one fluke race, but every single time.”

“It is a natural thing when a young candidate comes along and has success, for other candidates who feel like they’ve toiled in the vineyards to resent it,” said David Axelrod, the chief strategist for Mr. Obama in 2008. “I think they’d like him better if he weren’t doing as well.”

While Mr. Buttigieg rose from a total unknown to a fund-raising colossus, frustration about his strength in the race grew. His campaign’s say-yes-to-everything media strategy won him attention others craved, which led to him posting field-leading fund-raising totals while senators and governors found themselves begging for $1 contributions just to qualify for the party’s debates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267November 9, 2019 4:31 PM

r262, Christians and Blacks, you know, the two groups of Democrats who have a problem with da man going up into da man.

by Anonymousreply 268November 9, 2019 4:31 PM

Pete is this generation's John F. Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 269November 9, 2019 4:34 PM

[quote]Christians and Blacks, you know, the two groups of Democrats who have a problem with da man going up into da man.

It ain't working.

by Anonymousreply 270November 9, 2019 4:35 PM

A lot of people are either Christian, religious, conservative or tolerate the above. Is he going to get the atheist vote? If the alternative is Trump, I hope so.

How many ultra religious nuts have we had that promise to ram their religious beliefs into every law possible? He doesn’t do that. But he has to provide an alternative for religious people or he’s taking millions of votes off the table. And a lot of religious people assume all gays are anti-religion. And that’s a dealbreaker for them.

He comes from the Mike Pence state. Saying he despises religion is a non-starter.

by Anonymousreply 271November 9, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote] Pete is this generation's John F. Kennedy.

Let's hope so.

by Anonymousreply 272November 9, 2019 4:36 PM

[Quote] Pete needs to stop quoting the Bible. Who does he think he's going to win over by doing that?

I think it's very smart of him. Being a Christian. Too long has the Christian vote been left to the rightwing evangelical groups.

by Anonymousreply 273November 9, 2019 4:51 PM

R267 thanks for the link. How fascinating! I guess all will attack Pete even more now that he's a real contender.

This guy is amazing. Not only has he gone from 0 to 60 in a few seconds but he's holding steady as he grows. Man has nerve.

by Anonymousreply 274November 9, 2019 4:59 PM

They are a little rattled because Pete isn't waiting his turn. They were also pissed off that Obama didn't wait his turn. They also said that no one would vote for Obama because he was an "other". They also said that Obama didn't have the experience to be president. I'm not saying that Pete is Obama. But, what I am saying is that Pete is in this thing and he deserves his place and he deserves respect because he has worked for it. He is not someone you can just dismiss as too young or too gay. Pete is what his party needs. Not a bigger shift to the left.

by Anonymousreply 275November 9, 2019 5:07 PM

R273 yes it’s a smart strategy to push the idea that God and faith don’t belong the GOP. Jesus fed the poor, welcomed the immigrant, etc., etc.

by Anonymousreply 276November 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Republicans are never going to admit they aren’t Christians, they’re gang members who hold solidarity with their gang. Someone has to call them out on it, and that someone better be a Christian. Otherwise, it’s, “God-hating Librul hates Trump because he hates God.”

by Anonymousreply 277November 9, 2019 5:42 PM

Think about the mindset of some of these people. Biden has always been the bridesmaid, never the bride. At last, he thinks, it’s my turn. Then this young whippersnapper comes along and has the audacity to say what many think: Biden’s support is a mile wide and an inch deep, and there’s a good chance as time goes on that it will dissipate. This goes right to the source of Biden’s insecurity. He’s a second banana, not a first.

Klobuchar is basically saying in that NYT article: I’ve won everything up until now, I should win this too. But in reality, she’s not catching on, and that’s not Pete’s fault. She’s just resentful people like him better.

Her father was an alcoholic, and I think she has a lot of pent up anger that has come out in the past and been visited on staff and others. Sometimes people don’t realize how much anger they’re holding back, but others can see it. In the hot spotlight of a campaign, it’s going to be seen and disliked.

Booker: why am I losing and this guy is gaining? I don’t get it. I’m trying really hard.

A lot of the anti-Pete feeling in this group has nothing to do with Pete. He’s holding a mirror up to their personal insecurities.

by Anonymousreply 278November 9, 2019 6:18 PM

Bernie won't make it, and moderates will not accept Liz's plans to dump private health nsurance and create new entitlements for reparations and tax-payer covered student tuition.

These 'mathless' candidates can't win, even against the deplorable and insane Trump.

by Anonymousreply 279November 9, 2019 7:11 PM

Not only Iowa, Pete will beat Trump because more than any other candidate by far, he is the exact opposite of the toadstool on every front.

by Anonymousreply 280November 9, 2019 7:18 PM

He won't win against Trump. In fact, he will drive people to vote for Trump just to keep "his kind" out of the White House. Way to go, asshole Pete!

by Anonymousreply 281November 9, 2019 7:30 PM

An anti-gay poster in a gay website? Gee, that couldn’t be a troll, could it?

by Anonymousreply 282November 9, 2019 7:32 PM

Hey, at least Bloomberg actually knows how to run a real city. This bozo with his pie in the sky dreams and free giveaways is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 283November 9, 2019 7:33 PM

The anti-Pete venom is pure Tall Poppy Syndrome against a successful, non-stereotypical guy.

by Anonymousreply 284November 9, 2019 7:45 PM

Only on DL would you think this guy is a big deal. He is a big deal to whitey not to others.

by Anonymousreply 285November 9, 2019 8:41 PM

Look, I NEVER disputed Pete's hard work. He has worked very hard, and he is also really smart. He has been able to take advantage of every opportunity. I don't think it was a situation where other candidates were inaccessible to media. Well, Biden was kind of inaccessible. But most of the others were always chasing cameras and elbowing for sound bites. Booker, Klobuchar, Harris, Warren, Bernie, Castro, all of them chasing media. But they couldn't gain traction.

They excited no one for very long. I can remember for example, in off years, when a lot of people were talking up Castro. He was even touted as a possible VP choice in 2016. Castro, Booker, etc. are like a lot of others over the years who seemed like a good idea, until they actually did run. Swallwell was another one. "You should run for POTUS!" LOL!

The media likes novelty. They want to capture the public imagination. For a while they seemed fixated on Beto, which I thought was a joke because Beto is so lacking in focus. Beto is all heart and passion. At first the media felt he was charismatic enough to inspire and uplift. Even compared him to Bobby Kennedy...which I found personally offensive, Bobby being one of my heros.

But the media started losing interest in Beto and going for novelty of this improbable candidate, Mayor Pete, who was boyishly young, and the GAY mayor of South Bend Indiana. He got their attention, and then they discovered how smart he is, how articulate he is, and yeah, he's married and he's also religious? So the media took a look and fell in love.

The people who most resent Pete are Biden and Bernie. But Biden is especially pissed off. It's all about money at this stage. And Biden isn't getting what he expected to get. Wall Street is not flocking to Joe. The big donors aren't flocking to Joe. This is not the way it was supposed to go. This was Joe's moment. He was supposed to be landing big endorsements, and rolling in cash.

When you don't have the money you can't hire the best people. Pete has money. And he is running a smart campaign. So right now he has that in common with Obama. It will be interesting to see whether Pete can attract the level of support and enthusiasm beyond his natural constituency to win votes...just like Obama did.

Obama was like a locomotive. In 2007, he demonstrated he could raise money and get big endorsements. In early 2008, he demonstrated that his support was broader than just being "another Black candidate for POTUS." Jesse Jackson, Carole Mosely Braun, Al Sharpton, Shirley Chisholm, none of them were able to break through to do that.

Biden, meanwhile is getting sidelined. Right now I'm watching Klobuchar and Harris and Booker. I think Booker will drop out if he doesn't start getting some decent numbers. I have no idea what he is doing in Iowa. I know Klobuchar is running back and forth from Iowa to New Hampshire, so is Warren and so is Harris. I've also noticed Harris and Klobuchar are starting to use social media more effectively in the past three weeks and it's helping.

by Anonymousreply 286November 10, 2019 12:45 PM

R278, your insights are brilliant. Great post.

by Anonymousreply 287November 10, 2019 12:50 PM

r269. you are certifiably insane.

by Anonymousreply 288November 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Literally only DL is gushing over Pete. Everyone else isn't. If he's the nominee you all are going to have a RUDE awakening.

by Anonymousreply 289November 10, 2019 11:36 PM

Saw Pete on with Chris Cuomo. He looked like a nerdy freshman at some bible belt college.

by Anonymousreply 290November 10, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote]If he's the nominee you all are going to have a RUDE awakening.

At this point, I am anyone but Bernie and Warren. I've lived long enough to never say never, but while I think Pete will not get the nomination, based on how hard he has worked and how smart he is, it wouldn't shock me if he squeaked through.

by Anonymousreply 291November 11, 2019 12:24 AM

37 years old and gay?

Girl you better wake up.

by Anonymousreply 292November 11, 2019 12:38 AM

Only thing Pete is going to win is a scratch off ticket at the Kum & Go at the Boondocks truck stop.

by Anonymousreply 293November 11, 2019 5:03 PM

Pete has the same eloquent speech that Clinton and Obama had to win.

by Anonymousreply 294November 12, 2019 6:35 AM

Pete moving up in NH, as well.

Quinnipiac poll of NH:

Biden: 20%

Warren: 16%

Buttigieg: 15%

Sanders: 14%

Gabbard: 6% (!)

Yang: 4%

Klobuchar: 3%

Steyer: 3%

(It’s Quinnipiac’s first NH poll, so no trendlines.)

by Anonymousreply 295November 12, 2019 7:44 AM

R294. The only people mesmerized by his speech are whitey. So your statement is a fail.

by Anonymousreply 296November 12, 2019 10:04 AM

R296 Whitey votes. So your statement is a fail.

by Anonymousreply 297November 12, 2019 10:24 AM

R297. He doesn't inspire cross racially like Obama and bill. So your statement fail.

by Anonymousreply 298November 12, 2019 10:32 AM

The divides in America are not just racial

by Anonymousreply 299November 12, 2019 11:03 AM

This entire thread is a fail by Buttigieg apologists trying to prop up their little false god.

by Anonymousreply 300November 12, 2019 11:52 AM

R299. We are discussing democrats not republicans. Your comment is a fail.

by Anonymousreply 301November 12, 2019 12:53 PM

r294, no he doesn't.

Stop trying to make Pete happen. He's not anywhere near the level of a Clinton or an Obama (or a Kennedy).

by Anonymousreply 302November 12, 2019 12:53 PM

r302 you are right. He is not near Obama, Clinton or Kennedy. HE is much above them.

by Anonymousreply 303November 12, 2019 1:55 PM

R303. Delusional Pete whore.

by Anonymousreply 304November 12, 2019 2:05 PM

r303, Wow, if you aren't joking, you are SERIOUSLY delusional.

And boy are YOU in for a rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 305November 12, 2019 2:08 PM

r304 diseased fat cunt typing from it's dead cunt mom's moth ridden basement

by Anonymousreply 306November 12, 2019 2:16 PM

r305 and you, my dear ? How exactly Kennedy, Obama and Clinton are more intelligent than Pete ?

by Anonymousreply 307November 12, 2019 2:17 PM

Why do some of you fall so hard for the discord trolls?

by Anonymousreply 308November 12, 2019 2:36 PM

Amy needs to pull out before the next debate so she does not appear to be a conniving sour grapes loser bitch.

She is not the nice person she appears to be and she lacks Presidential temperament.

Pete has it all.

by Anonymousreply 309November 12, 2019 2:49 PM

Pete has the integrity of Carter, the charisma of Clinton and the smarts of Obama.

He is the entire Democratic package.

by Anonymousreply 310November 12, 2019 2:51 PM

r310 Touche

by Anonymousreply 311November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

Of course Pete is the entire package, but Democrats are going to piss away a great opportunity because they can't get out of their own fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 312November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

r310 . . . of the past.

by Anonymousreply 313November 12, 2019 2:53 PM

R311 misspelled "douche."

by Anonymousreply 314November 12, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote] Pete has the integrity of Carter, the charisma of Clinton and the smarts of Obama.

Clinton was never polling at like 0% with minorities. Good luck with your spin.

by Anonymousreply 315November 12, 2019 3:21 PM

Oh, are charisma, intelligence and integrity no longer in style, R313?

by Anonymousreply 316November 12, 2019 4:05 PM

Fuck...Goddamn Russians everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 317November 12, 2019 4:08 PM

[quote]Fuck...Goddamn Russians everywhere.

They are obsessed with having these Pete division threads.

by Anonymousreply 318November 12, 2019 4:21 PM

There’s a part of me that knows - to be as realistic as possible- it’s perhaps not quite his time yet... but it will really hurt to see him exit the race and we’re left with what we have.

by Anonymousreply 319November 12, 2019 4:59 PM

Oh cut the drama! He's just another white guy. He's not going to save the country if he becomes the next president. People were so angry about Obama, they elected Trump. Can you imagine how angry people are going to be if a gay guy is elected? If Pete becomes a president, a nut like Kanye will follow. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 320November 12, 2019 5:23 PM

New @MonmouthPoll finds Buttigieg in the lead in Iowa:

Buttigieg: 22%

Biden: 19%

Warren: 18%

Sanders 13%

by Anonymousreply 321November 12, 2019 6:21 PM

If any of your frau cunts have ever attended an Iowa caucus, and understood how the machinery/mathematics of a caucus works, you would realize that being ahead in an opinion poll doesn't transfer into delegates at a caucus. There is a viability threshold requirement, and if your candidate doesn't have enough votes/delegates in the room to be viable , then those delegates are up for grabs by the other candidates. People might prefer a certain candidate as their first preference, but if their candidate doesn't have enough votes to be viable, that's where the voter's/delegate's second preference comes into play. There might be several candidates who aren't viable in the room - but their delegates join forces to make one of the candidates viable. I've been to many Iowa caucuses - the horse trading in the room gets weird. Some people leave because their first pick isn't viable and they don't want to support any other candidate.

by Anonymousreply 322November 12, 2019 7:08 PM

R306. You are referring to yourself because only a fat whore frau like you would ever be a Pete fan.

by Anonymousreply 323November 12, 2019 9:11 PM

As R321 posted, the new Monmouth University poll of likely caucusgoers has Pete leading in Iowa for the first time.

Pete is now officially in the TOP tier. 😉

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324November 12, 2019 10:11 PM

r319, MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 325November 12, 2019 11:31 PM

Pete has intelligence, he has talent, he has skills. These are all tools. They are all elements that combine to make him a viable candidate. But they alone are not enough. I have no idea about his decision-making skills or the philosophical framework that guides his policy proposals. I think he will do very well in politics, and he may even become PResident. But he's not ready. Not by a longshot. Not because he's gay. But because he is a young inexperienced small town mayor whose reach exceeds his grasp.

by Anonymousreply 326November 13, 2019 2:45 AM

Pete is perfectly ready for the presidency. He understands perception and messaging. He’s gathering an excited Democratic base.

by Anonymousreply 327November 13, 2019 7:38 AM

The first Gay President will be Sean Patrick Maloney. I love him. He was doing a lot of TV yesterday since he is on the Intel Committee. Between him and Jim Himes I was having a moment.

by Anonymousreply 328November 14, 2019 1:05 PM

I started this thread just to be provocative but it looks like it might actually happen. Psychic moment!

by Anonymousreply 329November 18, 2019 4:17 AM

r329 OP, the caucus is 7 weeks away. A lot could happen between now and then. Pete might get caught in a motel fucking woman and it would be all over.

by Anonymousreply 330November 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Harry Enten:

[quote]If you average all the November NH polls, it's basically a 3 way tie between Biden, Buttigieg and Warren at about 20%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331November 19, 2019 10:46 PM

I wish the FUCK Bernie would go home. Quit. Leave the race. Bye, Felicia!

Anyone who saw Sean Patrick Maloney on TV today when he wasted Sondland would aprpeciate why I find Pete lacking.

I have to go now. Himes is questioning a witness....

by Anonymousreply 332November 20, 2019 10:22 PM

Bernie and Tulsi are the wrenches tossed into the Democratic Primary by Dear Pootie.

Go Pete!

by Anonymousreply 333November 23, 2019 11:08 AM

Trump's super PAC “The Committee to Defend the President” has deployed a mobile billboard to protest Pete in Iowa. It follows him around wherever he goes. Pathetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334November 25, 2019 10:25 PM

R328 I love Sean and want him in me deeply. Hello Zaddy.

by Anonymousreply 335November 25, 2019 11:02 PM

2.100 people today in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

That chant, tho. 👀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 26, 2019 2:32 AM

Bernie and Pete need to sit down and be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 337November 26, 2019 2:34 AM

If you see a large gathering of snakes or any other kind of swarming behavior (cockroaches, etc.) on the kitchen floor you have probably been poisoned and should call 911 immediately.

by Anonymousreply 338November 26, 2019 2:55 AM

Sorry! That was for the "Freshness of store-bought pie" thread

by Anonymousreply 339November 26, 2019 2:56 AM

I kept pausing that clip to spot black people. ZERO.

by Anonymousreply 340November 26, 2019 2:59 AM

Because Iowa is famously black. 🙄

Every candidate has the same problem when not in majority black states, by the way. We have to understand that a large chunk of the electorate isn't paying attention to the election and will only tune in after Iowa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341November 26, 2019 3:19 AM

r340 He's going to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Alabama next week. You'll see all the black people your heart desires.

You probably think these students in Atlanta are actually white people wearing blackface; that's how invested you are in this narrative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342November 26, 2019 3:23 AM

[quote] Every candidate has the same problem when not in majority black states, by the way.

The “majority black states”?

Name them?

Black people are 13% of the population. 47 million + in a nation of 300 million +. The United States is 70+ percent white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343November 26, 2019 3:27 AM

Oh, gods, I knew some racist would jump on that immediately as I hit Post. I meant in the states where they represent a huge part of the Dem voting block, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 344November 26, 2019 3:29 AM

"Son, you need to wait your turn. You know who else didn't care to wait? Corn Pop- and let me tell you what happened to him..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345November 26, 2019 3:33 AM

"Those Blafrican American votes are mine and mine alone, son."

by Anonymousreply 346November 26, 2019 3:36 AM

This is all reflected perfectly in the open warfare that's now flaring up in the pizza category. Let's not do this to ourselves, folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347November 26, 2019 4:10 AM

He took pictures with four black young females. They must be Pete supporters and let's go find them. Won't it be hilarious if even in Atlanta there are more white people that came to see him speak.

by Anonymousreply 348November 26, 2019 9:57 AM

[quote] Oh, gods, I knew some racist would jump on that immediately as I hit Post. I meant in the states where they represent a huge part of the Dem voting block, obviously.

Which part of my post = racism. I explained this country’s demographics, because “obviously” you are confused.

by Anonymousreply 349November 26, 2019 1:42 PM

Pete got 2.100 people in Council Bluffs just days ago on a Monday night while Biden, on a Saturday afternoon, got 175 people. Importance of ground game!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350December 1, 2019 2:25 PM

r349 It's the impulse to rush in and correct something we all understand was just phrased poorly that makes you an "obvious" racist, dear. See, I even put "obvious" into quotation marks like you to meet you halfway there, racist.

by Anonymousreply 351December 1, 2019 2:27 PM

Comparisons are odious but Pete is more Clinton 1992 than Obama.

by Anonymousreply 352December 1, 2019 2:54 PM

R352. How exactly because he is not. He is not Obama nor Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 353December 1, 2019 5:48 PM

R350 that's amazing. Why that is so is still unclear and most important, while people go on and on in their comfort zone of the black vote.

by Anonymousreply 354December 1, 2019 6:31 PM

R347 is that right wing Trumpie Papa John?

by Anonymousreply 355December 3, 2019 12:30 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 356December 4, 2019 11:02 PM

He's going back to Iowa after he's done in Alabama. It's a chess game now. Wherever you're campaigning, you're forcing your competitors to campaign there as well.

by Anonymousreply 357December 4, 2019 11:06 PM

I’m sure this will be it’s own thread soon but some Black Southbend leaders held a press conference in support of Pete. It was turned into a fucking mess by some Bernie bro assholes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358December 4, 2019 11:18 PM

He needs to head to MILWAUKEE!

by Anonymousreply 359December 5, 2019 1:05 AM

[bold]Pete Buttigieg Shows No Signs Of Slowing Down In Iowa[/bold]

[quote]Pete Buttigieg is barreling toward an Iowa Caucus victory, and there’s not a damn thing anyone’s tweets can do about it.

Nice long article directly from Iowa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360December 30, 2019 1:34 PM

For the last month, I've been praying that I'd be able to bump this thread with pride.

GO PETE

by Anonymousreply 361February 5, 2020 12:09 AM

The Bernie Cunts are already stroking out like their master on Twitter saying hateful and childish things because they swore he would win. Delusional cunts!😄

by Anonymousreply 362February 5, 2020 12:13 AM

Congrats on your prediction, OP!

by Anonymousreply 363February 5, 2020 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!