Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is "Hurt" Johnny Cash's best song?

I can listen to this one on repeat. On repeat.

Its so damn good! Those lyrics... ugh. So damn GOOD! And underappreciated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2021 7:21 PM

No. It's really good but you should listen to his early stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2019 4:51 AM

It may not be his best song, but like the Tom Jones / Art of Noise version of “Kiss” it’s a cover that surpasses the original; because of the associations the older artist brings to the newer material, and because they can really fucking sing.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2019 5:04 AM

Were You There

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2019 5:10 AM

9 inch nails did it first and better.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2019 5:13 AM

The original version is amazing, but Johnny Cash changed it from a dirty song to a sad one. I'm with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2019 5:16 AM

It's not even his song.

It' so funny when the younguns 'discover' musicians with decades of songs and only know their later/last works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2019 5:17 AM

Ring of Fire was his best song.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2019 5:44 AM

[quote]9 inch nails did it first and better.

Trent Reznor considered it to be Cash’s song after seeing his video, not his anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2019 5:58 AM

Yeah, but I'd bet he gets some royalties from it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2019 6:45 AM

Cash version is the better version.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2019 1:11 PM

I think this one of the songs where the remake is better than the original. The original is pretty damn good too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2019 1:16 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2019 1:18 PM

R4: Not according Trent Reznor.

I remember hearing that the song is the winner of best country song at the CMA's that receive less airplay, but you can't expect good taste of the average country music listener

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2019 1:25 PM

I agree, the Cash' version is much better than the original, mainly because he it's full of emotion. The fact he was very sick at the time makes it even more haunting. I like God's Gonna Cut You Down, also.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2019 1:32 PM

Do you know Johnny Cash wrote his own songs, too, OP?

And, uh, no, R2. Prince's version is classic.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2019 1:35 PM

I do think this cover beats the original but I also think that Johnny had some better songs, like Ring of Fire.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2019 1:43 PM

Its a heartbreaking song. The way he sings it is so human, humble, and filled with agony and contrition. It’s very religious, but darkly so, which “contemporary Christian” music doesn’t touch upon—the pain of being alive, facing death, and taking a moral inventory. There will never be another Johnny Cash...I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Yet again, the genius contributions of Rick Rubin are ignored. It was Rick who decided to revive Johnny's career by asking him to record a cover of Hurt.

The recording itself is far from "under-appreciated" considering that it revived Cash's career, sold a ton of copies, and won an armful of awards.

And yes, the NIN version is the superior version.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2019 1:50 PM

Who had the better version of "I Won't Back Down?" Tom Petty seem amused that the U.S. Army wasn't interested in his version of his son, preferring Cash's rendition.

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2019 2:31 PM

NIN’s “Hurt” and Prince’s “Kiss” are fantastic, classic songs - but they also fit squarely into the sound and style of what those artists were doing musically at that time - and that’s not a criticism; both artists were at a creative peak.

What Jones and especially Cash along with their producers / collaborators did was take brilliant songs that were already incredibly well known and completely re-imagine them - they are shockingly different covers that equal or surpass the originals -with additional emotional depth or brazen sexual bravado and fantastic vocals - that’s a rare artistic achievement.

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2019 2:32 PM

Cash version is iconic.

NIN version is forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2019 4:18 PM

Trent sings it from the perspective of a son, JC from the perspective of a father. (At least, that's how they've always sounded to me.)

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2019 5:37 PM

Cash understood pain and sorrow, all too well. Like Otis Retting when he heard Aretha sing "Respect", Reznor knew that he had lost his song when he heard Cash's version.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2019 5:42 PM

Love this version. It was at the very end of his life, his wife was dead, he was sick and you could tell he was ready to go. All the pain in his life came out in this song and in his voice.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2019 6:20 PM

"Hurt" is Timi Yuro's best song.......

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2019 6:27 PM

Yes. It is.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 2:07 AM

R24 Yes, who could see that video and not wish for peace for him, to be with June and his family again, free of his pain.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 2:10 AM

Amazing cover but I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die...

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 2:16 AM

His cover of Hurt is fantastic but his earlier songs are definitely worth checking out. Ring Of Fire is a personal fave.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 2:17 AM

His version of hurt makes me cry every time I hear it, instantly and in floods. I can't think of anything or anyone that does that to me.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 2:29 AM

Johnny Cash's biggest song was "A Boy Named Sue".

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 2:31 AM

What is this fucking "underappreciated" shit? Over and over the OP of this kind of thing declares something "underappreciated" because they just discovered something or their few acquaintances don't know about it. I can take tunnel-vision enthusiasm from the ignorant, but pretending to know what other people have said without bothering to check is something to spit at.

"Rolling Stone": Second Greatest Cover, 2011

CMA Single of the Year, 2003

CMT Top Video, 2003

Grammy, Best Short-Form Video, 2004

MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography, 2003 (Timberlake got award for best performance and said in his acceptance Cash should have gotten it.)

Trent Reznor said the song didn't belong to him any more.

Yeah. Underappreciated.

It's the most affecting performance Cash gave, and I've listened to everything he recorded over the years. "Jackson" is the most fun, "Ring of Fire," "Folsom Prison Blues," "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" and so many others are wonderful, and the more stripped-down the arrangements the better. But I'll take "I Walk the Line." Without the stink of Phoenix and Witheredpoon.

And R27: Mary! Just for the record, June was alive when it was done and appears in the video, and Cash said he enjoyed doing the song and making the video. It's a piece of performance, not an old man shitting himself over his travails.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 2:38 AM

I was friends with his Granddaughter. I remember when she got engaged to a black man and people were attacking her for it, saying her granddad would be rolling in his grave. She said you don’t know anything about my granddaddy if you think he would care about race.

I haven’t spoken to her in years. She seemed to go into hiding because of the reception. I wonder if they remained together or not

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2020 2:41 AM

No, the original song is awful, and Johnny Cash's version is also awful.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2020 2:42 AM

I remember the 1st time I heard it I was eating at Texas Roadhouse ( Dont judge me! my mother loves it ) this came on the sound system and was was like "WTF?" and was very dismissive. A few days later I saw the video,and I cried . What a way to go out on a high note . Stunning video ,and his voice raked your emotions right over the coals.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 2:44 AM

It's a gorgeous song but Reznor singing it was a bit of a pose.

No pose whatsoever when Cash sang it.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 2:46 AM

For some reason, NINs' Hurt is a song that produces a lot of good covers. Even the amateur covers on YouTube are usually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2020 2:50 AM

I wonder if it was this granddaughter who was insulted for wearing a mask in the grocery store.

It amazes me that so many MAGAts were completely clueless about Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson's politics, despite the content of their songs and, in Nelson's case, decades' long support for the Democratic party. They were shocked and incensed when Nelson played at a Beto fundraiser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2020 2:54 AM

It's a beautiful song. Cash's version can make me cry.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2020 2:57 AM

Him and June died only 4 months apart. Maybe it really is true that when someone you really love dies that you can’t go on much longer.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2020 3:02 AM

R38 because in their small minds they were born and raised in the South and sing Country music so they MUST BE Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2020 3:03 AM

I saw Mr Cash perform live, with June Carter Cash and Mother Maybelle. I wasn't much of a country fan at the time, but they were something to see, especially the commanding man in black.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2020 3:26 AM

I'm a huge fan. Can't think of a favorite right now.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2020 4:08 AM

I Hung My Head is fantastic also

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2020 4:15 AM

This is one of those instances were both the original and cover were great for very different reasons. I grew up with a mom who played Cash all the time, so of course I loved his rendition. But Reznor's was damn good too.

It's interesting how Reznor's relative youth and Cash's advanced age both play heavily as to why each version works so beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2020 4:19 AM

Love this song.

by Anonymousreply 46April 25, 2021 2:03 AM

Sunday morning coming down...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 25, 2021 2:18 AM

God's Gonna Cut You Down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 25, 2021 2:30 AM

I was dating a guy who was older and didn't realize "Hurt" is a cover for Nine Inch Nails. Embarrassing. Even if Trent thought Johnny did it better. I disagree.

by Anonymousreply 49April 25, 2021 3:38 AM

My favorite song by him

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2021 2:22 AM

OP is still an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2021 2:24 AM

The best "hurt" songs are Hurts So Good (John Cougar Mellencamp), Everybody Hurts (REM), Hurts So Bad (Linda Ronstadt), and Do You Really Want to Hurt Me (Culture Club).

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2021 2:26 AM

Love Hurts

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2021 2:32 AM

In particular the "Hurt" video is a distillation of what Cash did best - draw on the passion and pain of his life and express it in his music. Even Trent Reznor was impressed with Cash's cover of the song. Like Aretha and "Respect", I think there may be many in future generations who identify the song with Cash and don't even realize it is a cover.

Both Johnny and June would die the same year that the video was made, and the video foreshadows it hauntingly.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2021 2:36 AM

Weird Al's parroty "Squirt" is a hoot. His smackdown of the video is epic.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2021 2:37 AM

"parroty"

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2021 2:47 AM

[quote] It may not be his best song, but like the Tom Jones / Art of Noise version of “Kiss” it’s a cover that surpasses the original; because of the associations the older artist brings to the newer material, and because they can really fucking sing.

Tom Jones’ cover of “Kiss” is a fucking abomination.

OP are you clinically depressed or hoping to be?

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2021 3:02 AM

I love this song, written by Kris Kristofferson, but I’ll always think of it as Johnny Cash’s song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2021 3:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2021 3:03 AM

R55 needs to be maligned and ostracized forever and ever.

[quote] Weird Al's parroty

For. Ever!

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2021 8:05 PM

Love Hurts...and Love Bites!!!

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2021 5:23 PM

I'm a big fan of both Cash and Reznor in their own right, but I never understood the adoration of this cover. Cash just sounds like an old grandpa slowly singing a Gen X Reznor song. It's like karaoke at a retirement home. Cringe.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2021 7:05 PM

Darling Companion his duet with June. Hurt a close second.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 7:09 PM

Forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2021 7:11 PM

Cash made "Hurt". All the pain is evident. He was old and ready to die, the love of his life was dead and you can hear it in his voice.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2021 7:16 PM

Side Note: Reznor has had a very successful post-NIN career doing music for movies and TV, most recently HBO's Watchmen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2021 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!