Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is “With Or Without You” by U2 their best song?

If not, what do you consider their best?

This is the first and probably only song by them I genuinely liked until Beautiful Day came out. I loved them both. And I loved “City of Blinding Lights”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 12:24 PM

I love Beautiful Day

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2019 2:21 AM

No, I would say One is....love the cover by Johnny Cash.

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2019 2:25 AM

oops ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2019 2:25 AM

I've always been partial to I Will Follow from their first album.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2019 2:26 AM

What always fascinated me about this song is that it’s lyrics are just a string of cliches, yet still manages to work.

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2019 2:28 AM

Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, and With Or Without You—possibly the greatest three song sequence on any album.

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2019 2:28 AM

How I loved them way back when . This is my absolute favorite .

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2019 2:31 AM

There’s already been a thread on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it?

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2019 2:33 AM

Another vote for "One." It is one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking songs ever written, and I say this as someone who is not otherwise much of a U2 fan.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2019 2:47 AM

Angel of Harlem. Recorded at Sun Studio with the Memphis Horns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2019 2:54 AM

Tax-avoiding, virtue-signalling cunts. I've burned all their CDs.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2019 2:57 AM

U2 peaked with Zooropa.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2019 2:59 AM

^ U2 peaked with War, many years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 3:07 AM

I really don't like U2, so their best song is meaningless, yes?

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2019 3:18 AM

U2 is my road trip buddy. If I’m driving long distance, they’re blasting in my car.

I usually start with this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2019 3:26 AM

Ground beneath her feet

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2019 3:28 AM

IMO, "With or Without You" is kind of monotonous. I like "One," "Mysterious Ways," "New Year's Day," and "Sunday Bloody Sunday."

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2019 3:35 AM

That one too, R16.

If you’re into U2, you’re gonna love most of their songs.

Check Bono out in this video when he was hot AF! If I’d met him in a bar during this time, I would not have been able to resist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2019 3:38 AM

I don't particularly like U2 either but "With Or Without You" and "One" are their two brushes with greatness. The only two times when I felt that they simply couldn't contain something truly emotionally moving behind carefully crafted conceit in spite of their best efforts.

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2019 3:48 AM

Love this song.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2019 9:59 PM

Why do you have to rank songs? OP? Why is this such an obsession with you?

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 3:59 AM

U2 has more songs I like than any other individual band. I also find them completely insufferable.

With or Without You; One; Sunday Bloody Sunday; Where the Streets Have No Name; New Years Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For; Pride; Beautiful Day; Wild Horses; I Will Follow; 40; Stuck in a Moment; City of Blinding Lights; Walk On

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 4:25 AM

I think there will never be a live song as epic as Where The Streets Have No Name. It's just spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 11:46 AM

Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 11:52 AM

"With Or Without You" and "Where the Streets Have no Name" are just pop records... the hits. Pop is pop for a reason... popular. I dig deeper. There's a few great songs on Joshua Tree but most of my favorites come before that. Electric Co, Party Girl,, Pride, 40 and my personal favorite, Stories for Boys are all GREATS.

War and Boy were both AMAZING albums which brought them enough attention to let them become big pop stars.. If you don't know Stories for Boys, listen....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 12:07 PM

While I love "With or Without You" (and a lot of their other material), "Mothers of the Disappeared" is my personal favorite.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 12:17 PM

I unapologetically love U2, everything up to Achtung Baby. After that, only one or two songs. My favorite is "Bad."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 12:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!