Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Sad Country House Bargain Edition

Here's a lovely antique Colonial that the Realtor is doing no favors with. At one point, it was wildly priced at 1.2 million, now just popped up on the market a few years after the owner died at 450k. I suspect he may have been one of us DL. I met him but didn't really know him. He was a model/actor/designer from NY and quite house proud. While the house is overstuffed to the gills, there are great bones. It's on a busy road with very little property, but it will be wonderful for the right person with a little imagination. The heirs are basically selling it for a fire sale price, and you can tell everyone that the house across the street was once owned by the late Polly Bergen and her partner, who recently lost that one to foreclosure after Polly died. Don't know how that happened. It's a sad day, tasteful friends. A sad day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 2:14 AM

Down to $369,900 and still available... can it really still be furnished like this?

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 12:05 AM

Polly Bergen DIED?

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:08 AM

It’s pretty. As a single person I’d never want a house that size, though - I like to hear where others are in the building or I get nervous.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:09 AM

I think someone has already posted this before. That house seems very familiar

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:10 AM

I was wondering if this was still for sale. What a bargain! Also did 7 Essex Lane ever sell in Woodbury? Remember we were all thinking it was a scam???

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:11 AM

Fill that tchotchke room with books instead then strip out all furniture and start over - could be wonderful. Price is bargain. Does look a little Amityville Horrorish on outside.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:20 AM

Nice house, with some pleasant rooms and reasonably good proportions, and good, period details.

Difficult to say much more for the obvious reasons. The house was "decorated" more than restored, but that has the advantage of the house not having been iverrrdtored in so done else's personal taste. There are some later changes that would be easily undone - the later glazed double doors to the two front rooms on the main level should be replaced by solid wood paneled doors and the openings narrowed. The kitchen looks Abit of a New England Colonial Kitchen mess, as many are, but that's something most newiwners want to change to their own taste anyway. The yellow room (the least overfurnished room) gives a good idea of what the four main rooms in the core of the house might look like; and one of the fireplaces is early and quite nice.

The carriage house is crazy and doesn't fit, yet it's oddly appealing just because it's so curiously out of place. I don't know the area but the house seems to have a nice degree of privacy while not being far removed from a couple small towns. The price is appealing and there is scope to make some nice, manageable improvements without having to have the whole place a construction site for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:28 AM

This was the probable DLer/owner who died almost four years ago at age 59.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 12:37 AM

Little did he know he'd join his neighbor in the afterlife just a year later.

Or was a serial killer stalking their neighborhood?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 12:38 AM

There is a hilarious chapter in Augusten Burroughs’ book Toil & Trouble on Jeffrey - pages 211-231. Nails the house perfectly. There is a YouTube channel as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 12:45 AM

He named his dog Thadeus??? Poor dog.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 12:46 AM

What is all that stuff on those shelves?? So much...stuff. EVERYWHERE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 1:10 AM

What happened to old Thaddeus. The house just seems kindof fussy, with too much wallpaper. Not a particularly wealthy town, probably the wrong house for the locations.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote]R8 This was the probable DLer/owner who died almost four years ago at age 59.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 1:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 1:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 1:16 AM

R5 That 7 Essex Lane house sold this past January. When did that guy post about it, does anyone remember?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 1:20 AM

There really is a YouTube channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 1:20 AM

Damn that chintz queen had tacky taste. Hideous wallpaper and furnishings.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 1:27 AM

It's fabulous, I love it. I would dump that those Christmas village houses on the book shelves first thing.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 1:27 AM

He must've had a full-time staff person just to dust all that shit.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote]He must've had a full-time staff person just to dust all that shit.

He probably had someone come in for a few hours one day a week - so he could complain, laughingly, about how little work she does and how much of his liquor she drank.

I have a feeling that the the encrustation if dust became too obvious, he just piled more more shit on top of what was already there. The total value of the stuff in that house is less the cost of hauling it away.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 1:45 AM

More cowbell!

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 1:45 AM

Love the interior, its a bit stark on the outside for my liking. Particularly like the dining room with the dark patterned wallpaper and chandelier. Maybe the outside would look better with the gardens done

That house at R17 is the other way round, looks fantastic outside, the interior is pretty nondescript

Owner was very hot, especially in the clip at R10 and pic at R14. Wonder why he died so young?

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 9:03 AM

THAT room, R12, would be wonderful as a library.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 4:52 PM

Speaking as someone considering buying a bookshelf with some of my Mnuchin money, it's a dirty shame to fill that library with whatever that shit is.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 5:01 PM

R17 5/14/2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 5:13 PM

I would definitely take the listing in Southbury over 7 Essex

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 5:14 PM

I like the decorative cinder block in the front yard.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 5:26 PM

All of the rooms have potential, but it's hard to imagine due to all the clutter and frau-tastic decorating (wallpaper, window "treatments").

The kitchen is where I can see the most potential, could be because it's less cluttered than the other rooms. I also just like yellow kitchens (pale yellow, not like this, though).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 8:02 PM

It’s a definitive collection of Dept. 56 you boors.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 8:36 PM

R30 - "if you go to your local market and buy a pound of butter that will be the perfect shade of yellow"

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 8:46 PM

I can’t believe you guys found the Toil & Trouble house and guy! I love DL. Where is the room with all the crap in it? Maybe they cleaned it up. Not quite as over the top as Augusten Burroughs made it out to be - nor is he. But I get where he got the idea from.

The main road is a deal killer. Why are there no pictures of the round silo part of the house?

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 9:04 PM

R34: The silo is part of the garage which (if I recall) is.mentioned as unfinished space suitable for development for a range of potential uses (or some such realtorspeak.)

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 9:57 PM

R33 Yeah it’s right on that road. Really no front yard at all. Definite deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 9:58 PM

That silo must have had an original purpose. There are better architectural shapes for storage than a silo. Anybody have any ideas on what the hell its original purpose was?

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 10:31 PM

R36: It was built in recent years together with the garage; it's primary purpose was a bit if ornamental architecture, a focal point. I don't think it was ever put to any more use that that, to judge by the text (see R34).

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 10:49 PM

Thanks, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 11:18 PM

I guess that 7 Essex Lane guy was lying since he posted he bought it last April but it didn’t sell until January.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 2:09 AM

WTF with those tiny chairs in the foyer?

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 2:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!