Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you seen PARASITE yet?

Have you seen Bong Joon-ho's 2019 film PARASITE yet? Everyone was talking about it so I checked it out. Hmm...

At first I thought it was a horror film about germs (thanks to the poster), but it's about a family of grifters and a violent/funny allegory about class difference. During the first half I thought it was kind of cheesy and I was watching best-foreign-film-Oscar-bait, but as it went on and got more involved I was very impressed. A great story, well-told, with an uncompromising plot. Weird film. It's stuck with me a few days!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 14, 2020 11:13 PM

Yes, I call him my ex-husband (partner).

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2019 9:31 PM

Hasn't come to my area yet, but will definitely go see when (if) it does. We get some foreign/indie films, but it's not like a major city here in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2019 9:33 PM

sounds like Oscar buzz

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2019 9:35 PM

It’s here and it’s definitely on my list.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2019 9:37 PM

A lot of interesting films coming out of the Asia and the Japan and such as.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2019 9:59 PM

It looks good I want to see it

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2019 10:10 PM

OP, starring your Mom? No, not yet.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2019 11:31 PM

I saw it today and thought it was well done. It's a little long and a bit heavy handed in spots but the acting and cinematography were phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2019 3:24 PM

The real star of the film was that fucking house. I'd kill to live in a fabulous place like that.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2019 3:26 PM

I'm assuming this is a film about the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2019 3:30 PM

I liked it. The actress that played the dumb rich mom was delightful.

by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2019 3:34 PM

I agree R11! Her and Jessica from Illinois were my favorite characters!

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2019 3:35 PM

I want to see it

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2019 3:37 PM

I would like to see the actress that played the dumb rich mom get a Supporting nod. That part could have been so annoying and grating with the wrong actress. She took the part and made it stand out in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2019 3:41 PM

I thought it was great. No spoilers but I am an avid moviegoer and there were a couple of twists I did not see coming. It is not only a great suspense film but also a great commentary on society and what we are becoming, in SK or here. Do not miss it but do yourselves a favor and avoid reading anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2019 3:43 PM

[R14] Actually, they are all great but I think Song Kang-ho will (deservedly so) get a nod.

by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote]The real star of the film was that fucking house. I'd kill to live in a fabulous place like that.

It was gorgeous! I loved it. I was surprised to read that it was a set. I assumed it was an actual house.

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2019 3:47 PM

The actor who played the son was kind of cute, in that twinky, K-pop sort of way. I was shocked to learn he's turning 30 next year; he literally looks a decade younger.

by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2019 3:50 PM

I enjoyed it but I was slightly underwhelmed just because I’d heard such rave reviews and my expectations were high. It’s well done but I didn’t think it was as perfect as a lot of people are making it out to be. Still highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]The actor who played the son was kind of cute, in that twinky, K-pop sort of way.

K-Pop cute is the perfect descriptor for the son, who I was attracted to throughout. He seems so sweet! He also sings a song on the film's soundtrack, which is interesting.

I thought the actress who played the maid with the subterranean husband was exceptional. If this were an American film and the role were played by someone like Octavia Spencer she'd easily be in the Oscar race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2019 4:02 PM

Was it about the Trumps?

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2019 4:06 PM

[quote] I thought the actress who played the maid with the subterranean husband was exceptional

Yeah, that scene where she imitated the North Korean news anchors was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2019 4:09 PM

I saw it last week at the TIFF Lightbox. I thought it was absolutely excellent and one of my faves of the year along with The Lighthouse. I loved the way the film took a twist halfway through and then got progressively darker. Was stunned by the end of it. The actor playing the father was amazing. When he's listening to his boss talk about the smell - I got choked up. Really devastating turn in the performance.

What I found most interesting was that I was sitting a theatre with a packed house and probably about 70% of that audience was exactly who the movie was skewering. They were there because of the buzz, but it was met with a muted reaction. I was almost in tears.

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2019 4:12 PM

My theater was also full of upper Middle class to upper class White people and some laughed at some of the stuff.

I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2019 4:14 PM

It had me thinking about it and pondering the storyline days and weeks after I saw it. It's really good. As some have pointed out parts didn't seem realistic, but I kept reminding myself they were trying to tell a story and tell it well, which was the film's strongest asset. There were lots of layers of allegory.

The flood was the turning point in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2019 4:26 PM

The flood scene was incredible with those overhead shots.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2019 4:31 PM

I read the synopsis on Wikipedia after the New Republic gave it an awful review. It sounds a variation of The Two Maids or whatever that. French film is called. Chabrol did a version of it 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2019 5:03 PM

Interesting story about the director making the film in the Hollywood Reporter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2019 9:43 PM

Just saw the movie last weekend and loved it. I honestly didn't know where it was going to take me, and it was such a refreshing change from most movies that are so formulaic. And I agree with some of the earlier commenters -- this movie has stayed with me for a couple days now, and I keep on thinking of certain scenes.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 4:27 PM

Just watched Parasite tonight.

It’s the best movie of 2019. Not a false note, the blackest humor, that changed into allegory that is a summation of these times we lived in.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2019 4:31 AM

I haven't seen it yet but I pre-ordered It from Apple. May see it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2019 4:43 AM

It’s fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2019 4:50 AM

I didn't love it. The director had lots of ideas, but really needed a script editor to curb his worst auteur tendencies. And the hyper violence really turned me off. I don't quite understand the widespread acclaim. (One of the earlier posters mentioned Shoplifters from last year, which I did completely love.)

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2019 4:52 AM

I enjoyed it. I can’t remember a movie that is as unpredictable as this one. Very entertaining but I don’t understand the rapturous reviews and award chatter,

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2019 2:39 AM

The director, Bong Joon Ho, is saying something about our world. Darkness...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2019 2:43 AM

Darkness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2019 2:44 AM

OP, no you didn’t post a photo of yourself, how could we see an actual parasite?

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2019 2:46 AM

Saw the film a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

And yes that was an amazing house (or set) . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2019 3:24 AM

. . . just as the apartment was appropriately disgusting . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2019 3:25 AM

Fantastic

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 6:51 AM

It’s so good. It captures the rage and terror I’m feeling these days.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2019 6:59 AM

I loved Jessica from Illinois, only child and art therapist.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2019 7:49 AM

It’s deliciously vicious. 😏👍

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2019 7:51 AM

Definitely the best film of the year.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2019 7:55 PM

Loved it. Very good film.

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2019 8:27 PM

This hot Aussie like PARASITE too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2019 9:00 PM

No. Any type of Parasite makes me weak & uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2019 9:32 PM

It's stunning and really took me by surprise. Wasn't really sure what I was watching at first but it just gets better and better. Easily the best picture of 2019. It shits all over The Irishman for sure.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2019 9:34 PM

Air Wave isn't a fan either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2019 10:56 PM

I love Bong Joon-ho’s movies. Okja is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 1:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 2:10 AM

I went in thinking it was going to be some Korean horror movie and I was very surprised, but happily

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 4:35 AM

I'm just happy Korean cinema (or any kind of international cinema) is finally getting mainstream American attention/acclaim. There's so many undiscovered gems of cinema that American audiences refuse to acknowledge just because they're foreign.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 4:51 AM

It's definitely a very good movie and I enjoyed it at lot, but, like r19, I was still kind of underwhelmed because of the gigantic hype. I think the fact that the film is Korean, which has been such a "hip" cinema nation for a while now, is actually working in its favour reception-wise; I could very easily picture this as a French film that wouldn't get 10% of the attention.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 8:37 AM

Am I supposed to feel sorry for these people?

I get they’re trying to make social commentary on classism. But I don’t like any of the characters in the film, so I don’t care for the film.

If there was any justice, the smelly Mr. Kim would have been stabbed.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 5:29 PM

Spoilers . . . . . The final sequences felt unrealistic. Should have ended with the father in the secret room working on the light switch.

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 5:40 PM

Really, r30?

You didn’t think the spontaneous tumble down the panic cellar staircase by the family admitting Kim was their dad on video at the precise moment they discover the former maid’s husband was just a little too convenient?

Or that a con family wouldn’t realize hitting the same family together would be easy to dispel?

I think it’s a very contrived film, though it gets at emotional truths.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 5:40 PM

By referring to Mr. Kim as “smelly” you have demonstrated that you totally missed the point the Writer/Director makes about classism.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2019 5:40 PM

Well, r53, give me TRAIN TO BUSAN over this any day!

Classism addressed, too. But it’s fun and thrilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 5:51 PM

Well, r58, lazy grifters who don’t believe in making plans leave an offensive smell.

I take it you feel he was justified in the stabbing?

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2019 5:54 PM

R57, Yeah none of the plot really makes sense when you think about it, especially the ending. I don't know what's stopping him from just sneaking out the house and going back to his family after a year or two when the searchings stopped. And wouldn't it be a lot easier to break the dad out of the house, rather than wait to make all the money, and THEN wait for the house to go on sale. And it's not like his dad would even be able to leave the house anyway because the police would still recognise him in that area. Yeah.. I think it's better to look at it symbolically rather than literally.

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2019 4:05 PM

R55, you're still not getting it. Stick to super hero movies.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2019 4:11 PM

R62 Mine are all Parasite free (unless you count Gal Gadot).

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2019 4:51 PM

The symbolism isn't overt, but is very strong throughout the film. So there's almost a surreal, hyperrealism going on. I think this is one of the reasons the film sticks with you and is so good.

Still... it is fun to analyze moments like, "That would never happen."

Like the three parasite family members could hide under that massive coffee table for hours and hours in the huge empty room with the host couple on the couch right next to them, laying and talking, watching their son out the window, and having sex and sleeping, without ever noticing (but the husband smells them). Even in the dark.

Also, when they scramble to hide the mess they made drinking and eating and fighting with the former housekeeper and her secret husband, breaking so many things, and food and booze (and blood) strewn everywhere and also hiding the captives again... when the host family unexpectedly comes home from camping. And make that noodle dish. All wiped away in like... 4 minutes? In mere moments, the lights are all on and the host family is walking around the living room and no one notices a thing.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2019 9:00 PM

I am watching it now. I have always loved this director's movies. They are always about losers!

by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2019 11:37 PM

I just hope the film doesn't get a shity American remake.

The original OLDBOY was brilliant but Spike Lee had to come and fuck it up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 8, 2019 12:28 AM

I loved the film but thought two details in particular rang false-I didn’t buy it that the house could be cleaned up enough within the 8 minutes or so it took the wealthy family to reach it. And I totally didn’t buy the mother and son immediately suspecting the dad was hiding out in the secret panic room,

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2019 1:48 PM

Nope OP, haven't seen THAT parasite yet. But I had a tape worm in 1992...

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2019 2:17 PM

R68 It followed you home, but mummy wouldn’t let you keep it...

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2019 9:07 PM

"I loved the film but thought two details in particular rang false-I didn’t buy it that the house could be cleaned up enough within the 8 minutes or so it took the wealthy family to reach it. And I totally didn’t buy the mother and son immediately suspecting the dad was hiding out in the secret panic room."

It actually wasn't completely clean - the joke is that the rich family is so oblivious and used to everything being perfect that they don't even notice all the stuff shoved under the large coffee table. I wasn't buying that beef dish being ready so quickly.

I don't think the mother and son "immediately" suspected the dad was hiding in the panic room, but neither needed to be a brain surgeon to figure it out.

I thought the film was terrific. I now want to rewatch another film of Joon-ho's called MEMORY OF MURDER, which I saw several years ago and recall liking very much.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2019 9:39 PM

Congrats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2020 6:36 AM

That smelly dishrag won the Golden Globe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 6, 2020 4:08 PM

It's a great film. He deserves best director at the Oscars, but probably won't win. Hollywood votes for itself, basically, including when it comes to Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 73January 6, 2020 4:10 PM

It's easily better than all of the other films of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 74January 6, 2020 4:14 PM

A great movie. The only time I went to a movie theater this year and felt it was truly worth it. I also loved "Okja" and thought Tilda Swinton should've been nominated for her role in it.

by Anonymousreply 75January 6, 2020 4:20 PM

I saw it last weekend, and the theater was pretty packed. I was surprised, as it's been out for a while.

by Anonymousreply 76January 6, 2020 4:25 PM

What? Tilda is in it? Ok, I'll watch it!

by Anonymousreply 77January 6, 2020 6:48 PM

Tilda is in Okja (two of her, actually) on Netflix. Same director. Jake Gyllenhaal too.

by Anonymousreply 78January 6, 2020 6:50 PM

This is a slightly off-topic question, but has anyone around here seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire yet? It's playing in my local cinema tomorrow and I'm wondering if it's worth checking it out. I'm not a big fan of lezzie films but that one got rave reviews too.

by Anonymousreply 79January 6, 2020 6:55 PM

If you like this film, definitely check out Memories of Murder and Mother. Haven't seen Snowpiercer, but will look for it. Wasn't that crazy about his sea monster movie The Host.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2020 8:03 PM

R80, have you seen Okja?

by Anonymousreply 81January 8, 2020 12:55 AM

It’s one of the screeners sent to SAG members. I have it and I’m eager to watch it after reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 82January 8, 2020 1:03 AM

Parasite is an incredible masterpiece. It's kind of incomparable. It shits all over OUATIH and The Irishman. It's miles above either of those, I'm struggling to remember a film that impressed me so much. I'm yet to meet anyone who's seen it who didn't love it.

by Anonymousreply 83January 8, 2020 1:11 AM

I've watched this director's movies forever and have shown them to my students in the past. I haven't seen Okja, though, because I find Jake Gyllenhaal annoying.

by Anonymousreply 84January 8, 2020 1:20 AM

I’m kind of pissed off an usher at a movie theater told me it was a psychological thriller. What I read about it made it seem like the movie was hard to label and I wanted to find out for myself when I finally saw it.

by Anonymousreply 85January 8, 2020 1:26 AM

An article analyzes whether South Korea is as unequal as portrayed in Parasite. Apparently it’s actually quite egalitarian as long as you’re not old or a woman. Only Sweden and the Netherlands have better Gini coefficients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 12, 2020 6:30 AM

You haven’t answered my grievances, R62. And I hate most super hero movies, too.

I completely “get” PARASITE and its themes of social discrimination. But I also get to judge and everyone in that movie is a douchebag. It’s only informative on a clinical level that dogs eat dogs. But unlike a good movie, there’s no character I can root for.

I get that lots of people glorify criminals, grifters, gangsters and thugs. I get why PARASITE is glorified.

But I consider those people uncool. 3 stars only as food for thought, the surprising twist and fabulous home.

PAIN AND GLORY is a better foreign flick this year.

by Anonymousreply 87January 12, 2020 7:15 AM

SNOWPIERCER is awesome, r80. Sexy Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton with thoughtful themes and a Gilliamesque vibe. Woke + entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 88January 12, 2020 7:37 AM

Well, how do you do, R83?

I’m “anyone who's seen it who didn't love it,” posting up and down this thread.

The smelly dishrag is overrated and cheaply contrived.

by Anonymousreply 89January 12, 2020 7:49 AM

That house was a freaking set built for the film. Gorgeous movie.

Apparently the chauffer dad is the DeNiro of South Korea, which is why Korean audiences find his son coaching his acting so funny.

by Anonymousreply 90January 12, 2020 7:50 AM

I popped it out of the DVD player because the subtitles were meant to be read on a big screen, not a little one.

Not voting for it for SAG eligibility.

May start it again during the Summer lull.

by Anonymousreply 91January 12, 2020 8:47 AM

[quote] I popped it out of the DVD player because the subtitles were meant to be read on a big screen, not a little one.

Let me guess: your lips always move when you read, regardless of the medium or where you're reading it (home vs big screen)?

by Anonymousreply 92January 12, 2020 12:19 PM

r92, no, but I hate squinting and reading a line that is half gray on white and half black on gray as they flit from sentence to sentence. .

Unlike DL, I watch movies for the entertainment not the annoyance factor.

Also thought that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood should have been titled Prelude to a Bloodbath. But wouldn't most?

by Anonymousreply 93January 12, 2020 4:27 PM

Ha ha the director of Parasite called out R91 during his Golden Globes speech. He said that Americans are too lazy to read subtitles. I didn’t realize how correct he was.

by Anonymousreply 94January 12, 2020 6:43 PM

r94, I read subtitles and closed captions all the time but NOT when they make something hard to read.

Not lazy, they gave me a headache.

Sad that they spent good money on bad subtitles.

It was also funny when a poster above said he watched them in a theater (what 2 feet tall letters) and then, knowing what he was going to read, said he had no problem with the screener subs at home. Convenient.

by Anonymousreply 95January 12, 2020 10:07 PM

I had no trouble reading the subtitles on a small screen on my first viewing of the film. Does it really take you that long to read a sentence that you find it an annoying distraction?

by Anonymousreply 96January 12, 2020 10:32 PM

r96, no it doesn't but words over patterns is distracting and unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 97January 12, 2020 11:38 PM

i hate movies with subtitles. i had to stand in front of the screen just to read the subtitles, and all that running back and forth to complete a sentence almost killed me.

by Anonymousreply 98January 13, 2020 7:14 PM

R84 Jake is supporting and he plays a annoying character.. if you are an animal lover the scene that exposes an evil cooperation is the best scene.

by Anonymousreply 99January 15, 2020 6:15 AM

I don’t mind subtitltles but I have it when they are white against a white background.

by Anonymousreply 100January 15, 2020 6:17 AM

" But unlike a good movie, there’s no character I can root for."

Oh, honey...

by Anonymousreply 101January 15, 2020 6:42 AM

Okja was awesome. Jake was pretty good in it.

by Anonymousreply 102January 15, 2020 6:44 AM

thought it was too long. dumb ending

by Anonymousreply 103January 15, 2020 6:50 AM

I never heard of it until the nominations. Of course now all these comments have made me very curious. I’ll probably wait until it’s on a streaming site.

by Anonymousreply 104January 15, 2020 6:59 AM

[quote]Oh, honey...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 15, 2020 7:59 AM

Just saw it. Holy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2020 6:56 AM

I liked it better the 2nd time and the actor playing the father without a doubt deserved an Oscar nomination.

This movie helped me solve a problem at work. I have this supervisor at work who tries to give me grief many times and uses this demeaning tone that is so bad i don't know how to describe it. I get it . He thinks he is better than me and a higher class because he is a lousy supervisor and has a college degree that didn't help him at all in his 'career'...

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2020 7:18 AM

It’s the perfect movie for our era. This nightmare we’re in.

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2020 7:26 AM

It is a movie for our era. The only problem I had with movie it was given as a reason for the rich mother making bad choices was because she was simple. I think in this day and age even a simple person would think a background check is a must...

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2020 7:33 AM

It was entertaining, but I find it difficult to become emotionally invested in characters when I don't speak their language.

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2020 7:36 AM

R110 it’s kinda stupid to say suck things, don’t you think? People who don’t speak English would find it difficult to become emotionally invested in characters when they don't speak English????!!!! Stupid and simply ignorant

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2020 7:41 AM

R110 don't forget your emotional support hamster!

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2020 7:56 AM

Do you think it has a chance of winning Best Cast in tonight's SAG's ? Sure, The Irishman had a great cast but it should be penalized for not having any good roles for women...

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2020 8:03 AM

The actor who plays Mr. Park (the rich businessman) is super handsome.

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2020 8:17 AM

R113 I'm surprised it took 113 comments for someone to say that. I agree. I do hope the win Best Cast at the SAG awards. One of my favorite things is the way the ensemble worked together.

R109 people are still falling for those e-mail scams so and trusting DJT even though he lies to their faces, some people prefer to live in a particular kind of bubble so the mom's simpleness understandable.

Also, I am not Korean, but the impression I got in the film is that recommendations/being vouched for carries all the weight so even someone not simple wouldn't have done a background check.

by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2020 8:52 AM

Also very handsome is the first driver and the son was very cute...

by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2020 9:24 AM

Was there a motive for killing the daughter ? The news report said they didn't know because the killer is dead. Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2020 9:30 AM

He was trying to kill anyone in the family he could get to first (second actually). She was the nearest when he went into the yard.

by Anonymousreply 118January 19, 2020 9:34 AM

r111, no, I don't think it's stupid, but I think you are. How can you relate to someone who doesn't speak your language as intimately as you would someone who did? You can get an idea of a person's emotions from their body language but there are all kinds of subtleties in the way they express themselves that will be lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2020 1:48 PM

The person who said he can’t relate to foreigners has probably lived in a bubble. I was turned on to Fellini, Bunuel and other great international directors by a film buff and was blown away. I also have many coworkers from other countries I have a positive opinion of more so than my own country.

by Anonymousreply 120January 19, 2020 5:45 PM

r120, I didn't say I can't relate to foreigners. I said I can't appreciate the full emotional import of those emoting in a different language.

by Anonymousreply 121January 19, 2020 6:36 PM

Reading subtitles is a little like reading a book If you can't get emotionally involved with a book that has moving pictures ... well,

Once when I suggested to a friend watching a foreign film he said who wants to go a movie and read? Another friend I practically had to push into the theater to see The Marriage of Maria Braun he ended up loving it...

by Anonymousreply 122January 19, 2020 7:38 PM

R117 it would have been the mom, but she asked the tutor to bring the cake at the last minute and I think from the back he couldn't tell/didn't realize so it ended up being the girl.

by Anonymousreply 123January 20, 2020 4:50 AM

I got my wish !

by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2020 4:59 AM

Could you imagine Parasite winning over 1917?

by Anonymousreply 125January 20, 2020 6:46 AM

No, but if you post your photo, OP, then we can all say, “Yes, we have seen a parasite.”

by Anonymousreply 126January 20, 2020 7:10 AM

If the director wins DGA I say it has a very good chance. Since this years voting is shorter it might come down to what film most of the voters has seen I found 1917 contrived and Parasite anything but. 1917 works better on the big screen while Parasite works on any kind screen giving the film the advantage on those who have watched them on screeners. I know some blacks only care about other blacks winning when they bitch about diversity maybe a North Korean film winning the biggest categories will shut them up..

More importantly Parasite is a better film so as of today I'm predicting it will win Best Picture...

by Anonymousreply 127January 20, 2020 7:24 AM

Moonlight won over Lala Land so anything is possible

by Anonymousreply 128January 20, 2020 7:02 PM

r127, PUH-LEASE!

[i]Parasite[/i] is by far the most contrived, for reasons already mentioned in the thread. A family of cons would be so easy to dispel and so difficult to spin a web of lies for four, different people that no con artists would try it. You would never get a video confession to the con at the exact moment the con family stumbles discovers your husband parasite in the basement. You couldn't hide family of cons under the coffee table beside a sleeping couple all night.

1917 may be contrived, but each event ACTUALLY DID HAPPEN IN WWI to different people and places. It's merely a composite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 20, 2020 7:38 PM

R129, allegories are necessarily contrived: pieces must fit together in a certain way to show cause and effect. Historical fiction need not be, but is almost always contrived in movies.

by Anonymousreply 130January 20, 2020 8:14 PM

"1917" is one of those well-executed movies but with not much new or interesting to say, besides the fact that we can all agree who the bad guys are and there is no moral shade of gray in its entire run. In other words, an IMPORTANT middlebrow movie that the academy likes to award particularly during the times where most of the world seem to have lost their moral compass. "Parasite" is a much more interesting movie which is the complete antithesis of the type of Oscar bait I just described.

by Anonymousreply 131January 20, 2020 9:05 PM

Boy, nothing gets by R129 does it? I bet he spends his days online reminding people that Arnold Schwarzenegger never returned from the future to save the world from a robot Holocaust.

And those Star Wars films must be an ontological nightmare for you....

by Anonymousreply 132January 21, 2020 12:34 AM

R132 Midichlorians!

by Anonymousreply 133January 21, 2020 3:43 AM

R123, he wanted to kill anyone in the Kim family, not the Parks. He went for the daughter deliberately; that's my belief.

R129, they weren't a family of con artists. They were a poor family who'd been struggling for years to make ends meet by doing any job they could get. Once the son got in, they saw a chance and took it. Sure, they didn't have sterling characters and had developed the necessary cunning through experience, but they lucked out with that family, especially since the mother was kind of dumb and naive.

by Anonymousreply 134January 21, 2020 4:09 AM

Also, what are you trying to say by "easy to dispel"?

by Anonymousreply 135January 21, 2020 4:10 AM

Yes, the daughter had long dyed hair hard not to know who she was even from behind.

by Anonymousreply 136January 21, 2020 4:30 AM

Saw it the other day on Apple TV. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 137January 21, 2020 4:59 AM

Putting ketchup on a pizza ?

by Anonymousreply 138January 22, 2020 3:49 AM

It's hot sauce.

by Anonymousreply 139January 22, 2020 4:12 AM

Analysis of the food in the movie. Okja mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 22, 2020 4:15 AM

[quote]“Neon is thrilled to present the black and white version of Parasite to audiences on both coasts. [...] a life-long dream of Director Bong Joon Ho’s to create a film in the black & white format which he has longed admired.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2020 2:06 AM

That is strange. Why not make it black and white film in the first place ?

Couldn’t get over how the wife was obsessed with American made things. Is that how that country feels about American made products or is it a joke ?

I would liked to know what happened to the Kim family. That poor kid would never have a birthday party again. I also wonder about the kid they said they had 15 minutes to get him to the emergency room. I assume he was okay.

This is definitely a movie that stays with you and gets better with repeat watching. You notice little details you didn’t the first time like the dogs and maid are so happy when Mr. Kim comes home.

by Anonymousreply 142January 23, 2020 6:08 AM

Did Mr Park Die?

by Anonymousreply 143January 23, 2020 6:58 AM

[quote] Couldn’t get over how the wife was obsessed with American made things. Is that how that country feels about American made products or is it a joke ?

It’s a parody of the appeal of American (usually graduate) education and English to elite South Koreans. They’re obsessed with American English, with typically the most educated speaking it better than others. They love quintessentially American goods, like the tepee, and things like whisky from the South or huge Sunkist oranges from California. Costco is big there because they have those quintessentially American goods.

Japan is similar, except they’re generally not as adept with English, and they’re more open to British English. The kids don’t study English for as many years as South Korean students, and they lack the letter “L”. Quintessentially American goods are similarly beloved.

I imagine they see America somewhat similarly as maybe Israel? There’s a relatedness due to family, military ties, and the creation of the states themselves after huge wars.

by Anonymousreply 144January 23, 2020 6:59 AM

Have your read or seen The Man in the High Castle? Remember the American antiques dealer (Childan) selling Indian artifacts and Old West American items to fascinated Japanese? It’s kind of like that. Fascination of uniquely American artifacts.

by Anonymousreply 145January 23, 2020 7:04 AM

I get North and South Korea mixed up ( which one is bad) and now I’m getting the Kim and Park family mixed. I think I’m getting dementia.

by Anonymousreply 146January 23, 2020 7:05 AM

I hope the whispers of Criterion releasing it are true. NEON treats home video like an ugly stepchild.

by Anonymousreply 147January 23, 2020 7:18 AM

Dear r132,

Serious, award-winning movies should be realistic, practical and likely. The farther you fetch and stretch plausibility, the weaker and more irrelevant your story is. I'm sorry you're stupid.

And fantasy film premises are a different genre of filmmaking that aren't undone by fantastic powers unless the story changes its own rules as it goes along.

by Anonymousreply 148January 23, 2020 8:07 AM

That's an abject lie, r134. The family ARE cons. They set out to misrepresent their identities and credentials to take advantage of a rich family and screw the current servants out of their jobs. That's fraud and that's con artistry. You can't just deny the matters of fact everyone can see on screen.

Lying when your taste and argument sucks is the hallmark of a piece of shit.

All of these deeds are shady, evil and I'm not sympathetic to them. Just because Mr. Parks is a rich douche doesn't justify it. It just means everyone's a douche!

You're not going to persuade me to like these characters or the movie any more than 3 stars for a cynical exposé of human nature.

by Anonymousreply 149January 23, 2020 8:13 AM

"Easy to dispel" means 4 people lying runs a greater risk of getting busted than just one con artist lying.

Good liars and scammers know it's tough to keep the lid on one web of lies/ false I.D.

by Anonymousreply 150January 23, 2020 8:15 AM

[quote] Serious, award-winning movies should be realistic, practical and likely. The farther you fetch and stretch plausibility, the weaker and more irrelevant your story is.

How limiting. “Serious”, practical”, “weaker”, “more irrelevant”...

Precision of language, please.

by Anonymousreply 151January 23, 2020 8:35 AM

We have a nerd speaking for critical film theory who is compelled to qualify his narrow criteria by adding that “fantasy” is excepted from his narrow vision of serious, award-winning film.

Because he likes fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 152January 23, 2020 8:40 AM

We have a nerd on the spectrum among us. A true autist.

by Anonymousreply 153January 23, 2020 8:42 AM

R149's anger is funny. No one's trying to persuade you to like them, hon. The statement that they weren't cons meant only that they were not a family of career grifters. They fell into it when the opportunity came up to take advantage of the family once the son had an in. No one's excusing it. They were poor and desperate and decided to milk the Parks for all they could get.

by Anonymousreply 154January 24, 2020 12:50 AM

Damn! Sam Mendes has won DGA which means Parasite chances are a little more Slim. So it’s going another predictable year that Hollywood will give Best Picture to a foreign film.

by Anonymousreply 155January 26, 2020 6:27 AM

I saw it, and liked it, but I think some of its shortcomings and weird inconsistency are being treated as profound artistic statements of some kind, when they're not. Not that the film doesn't have something worthwhile to say, it absolutely does, I'm just not sure Westerners are understanding it. I have a feeling to really grasp its intent, you'd need to have grown up in Korea, with a Korean father.

by Anonymousreply 156January 28, 2020 6:01 PM

[quote]Serious, award-winning movies should be realistic, practical and likely. The farther you fetch and stretch plausibility, the weaker and more irrelevant your story is. I'm sorry you're stupid.

Not nearly as stupid as your tired literalist pendantic self.

by Anonymousreply 157January 29, 2020 3:09 AM

Boo hoo, I'm not as easily amused as you. There's no accounting for taste, so there's no need to insult people for it or lie about what's in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 158January 29, 2020 8:15 AM

I thought it was excellent, liked the journey from comedy to horror to social commentary. Agree that the actress playing Mrs. Kim did a great job with that role. And surprised that the son is 29 IRL.

Wondered if floods like that were common in Seoul and/or if it was based on a specific real life incident.

Loved how they kept having to go down long flights of stairs in the rain to get home and all that implied.

One thing we likely missed as Americans was the code switching the Parks did for the jobs--other than the subtitles telling us they were saying "fucking" a lot as an adjective when they spoke to each other at home, we can't tell the differences in the way they speak to each other versus the way they speak to the Kims--does "Jessica" have a completely different accent when she talks to Mrs. Kim, etc., was her clothing noticeably different and distinctive as being a Seoul slum dweller, etc.

And yeah, that house was amazing.

Also, FWIW, boyfriend and I had no trouble with the subtitles on this on the version we rented from Amazon and thought they were actually well done. Sometimes in a foreign film, the character will speak five sentences and the subtitle will say "Yes. Let's go now!" and you wonder what they left off and why.

by Anonymousreply 159January 30, 2020 11:16 AM

Third time I was impressed with the poor family’s mother performance. She was so fierce fighting against the basement dweller. Her husband was a murder but she was a warrior.

I bought a digital copy at Amazon and had a problem with subtitles when they were against white background. I hope Criterion releases something with better titles and translations.

by Anonymousreply 160January 31, 2020 12:18 AM

I enjoyed it but it seemed like something Bunuel would have done better.

by Anonymousreply 161January 31, 2020 6:23 AM

Dear, Bunuel was perhaps the greatest director of all time. Any film if he directed would be better.

by Anonymousreply 162January 31, 2020 9:04 AM

After watching movie for the fourth time I still have many questions and comments.

The rich wife says we will call him Kevin like she was I thole south and renaming a slave. Also said that Jessica was her American name

The movie is set in present time in which we google search like we breathe. I would have definetly googled a company that wants the title of my house. I think the movie should win Best Screenplay Oscar but I still notify tiny flaws.

Why does the actor who plays the college student and friend of poor son get last billing as a cameo in the credits ?

We have been told all our lives to apply pressure to a wound to stop bleeding but poor daughter says it hurts too much so they stop. I do not see anyone calling police or 911 or whatever it is in Korea.

Is the son going down to the basement to kill the couple with rock or just checking on them ?

by Anonymousreply 163January 31, 2020 9:26 AM

R163, he was going down to kill them. That was obvious given how his mood changed after the flood. He creepily told his father or maybe sister that he knew what he needed to do but didn't explain further.

by Anonymousreply 164February 2, 2020 12:51 AM

yes....why it such a big hit ?????? rather boring and transparent.....weird

by Anonymousreply 165February 2, 2020 1:03 AM

I lasted 30 min......tedious and fugly

by Anonymousreply 166February 2, 2020 1:20 AM

The first time I watched wasn’t excited ( mainly because of bad subtitles on digital copy) it gets better each time you view . You may just have bad taste in movies ,dear

Is voting over ? Are the Russian trolls invading Oscar season again ?

by Anonymousreply 167February 2, 2020 1:24 AM

There are inconsistencies and plot holes that subtitles can’t overcome, these have nothing to do with poor translation. It was an entertaining movie but not a great one worthy of Oscars or indie cult status.

by Anonymousreply 168February 2, 2020 1:30 AM

Saw Okja on Netflix after this. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 169February 2, 2020 1:54 AM

What inconsistencies, R168?

by Anonymousreply 170February 2, 2020 2:18 AM

Okja was released before Netflix was declared the new Mirmax Might have gotten a few Oscar nominations. Tilda, visual effects.

by Anonymousreply 171February 2, 2020 2:44 AM

I finally saw it today and found it exhilarating. It’s easily the best film about class I’ve ever seen. I’m rooting for it to win Best Picture next week.

by Anonymousreply 172February 2, 2020 3:00 AM

They were grifters. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise, except to troll. The worst thing the wealthy family did was to discuss, behind their backs, their "boiled dishrag" odor and associate the smell with "people who ride the subway".

I read that Bong Joon Ho had to justify to producers his calling the film "Parasite" (as it was considered an insult to the impoverished family) by saying that the wealthy family was also a parasite, helpless and needing assistance for everything--but that is the very nature of an employer/employee relationship, from the outset. Both parties agree to a mutually-beneficial exchange of services for money, which is not at all parasitic. They were not abusive employers.

More than simply creating a situation that was beneficial for themselves, the grifter family was shown to have ugly, selfish attitudes. In the scene where they are getting drunk when the family was away, they showed contempt for their employers, calling them stupid and reading from the daughter's diary as they ate the family's food and drank their liquor.

The film itself contrasts the grifter family's getting drunk and dirtying the house with the memories of the previous housekeeper, differently desperate, and her hidden husband, who would sometimes enjoy the family's absence by dancing in the sunshine in the beautiful living room.

The film also makes the family's selfishness evident before they even met the wealthy family when it shows their anger that they're being docked 10% of their pay when 25% of the pizza boxes they folded were done incorrectly.

Anyone who would argue that their poverty and desperation justified their forging documents, creating situations that would get trusted, well-performing employees fired, and celebrating the owners' absence by calling them stupid as they consumed their groceries and got drunk on their booze while making a mess is someone who is similarly victim-minded and without conscience.

The only act that indicated any conscience on the part of the con artist family was during the birthday party, when the con artist mother asked her daughter to take food down to the basement to "feed them first". The son also showed some level of compassion when he went to the basement and acted concerned about the well-being of the (deceased) former housekeeper.

The con artists never displayed enough soul for me to have sympathy for them and the wealthy family did not display enough soullessness for me to identify with the grifters' apparent contempt for them. Anyone posting on DL would be much more hateful than the wealthy family if they hired someone who smelled bad. The family never mentioned it to them directly or said, "please clean up, you smell funny." They only mentioned it in passing to one another.

It was a well-crafted film, but the filmmaker was not trying to teach us any lessons. There were good (though privileged and clueless) people and bad (selfish, clever con artists who happened to be poor) people and conflict between them. The only message I saw was that perfectly capable and intelligent people applied their abilities in selfish ways and that the father was likely the cause of this ugliness.

by Anonymousreply 173February 13, 2020 7:06 AM

The first time I watched I thought everyone was unlikeable and why should I like a movie like that ? Because of the directors reputation and what I read about it I gave it another chance and have enjoyed it more each time. Yes the characters do terrible things ( not caring bug spray is on pizza boxes) and the rich family who talk down to the servants ( not just the bad smell)and think they are better is a terrible thing but not deserving of what happens to them. I think the HBO series is a terrible idea but if they use the same characters I would be very curious what happened to rich mother and that poor traumatized son.

The cunning daughter was also worried the couple tied up in the hidden room. The poor father was paying for his crime and was begging the rich father for forgiveness. Another thing I missed was the ending I thought was good and undeserved I missed it was all a sad dream that probably would never happen. I don’t know if I’m just not too swift or was tired that day.

I get so annoat posters here you I assume are movie lovers so quick to dismiss this film. Even those who have actually seen it.

by Anonymousreply 174February 13, 2020 2:54 PM

Annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 175February 13, 2020 2:55 PM

R174, English please?

by Anonymousreply 176February 13, 2020 2:59 PM

YAYYYYYYYYYYY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177February 13, 2020 7:32 PM

I think "Parasite" is what Flannery O'Connor might have made if she traveled to Seoul.

by Anonymousreply 178February 13, 2020 10:19 PM

I love this director. I've followed his movies for a decade. I recommend his other major films in this order.

1) Memory of Murder. Standard cop movie but with a really moving ending. 2) The Host. Genuinely creepy monster movie critical of the US and South Korean governments. My students love this movie. 3) Mother. Freaky thriller that stars Won Bin as a retard (Won Bin is a hearthrob)

I didn't see Okja because I hate Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 179February 13, 2020 10:27 PM

Corrected formatting:

1) Memory of Murder. Standard cop movie but with a really moving ending.

2) The Host. Genuinely creepy monster movie critical of the US and South Korean governments. My students love this movie.

3) Mother. Freaky thriller that stars Won Bin as a retard (Won Bin is a hearthrob)

by Anonymousreply 180February 13, 2020 10:27 PM

Those of you who complain that the story is "contrived" and "unrealistic" are really missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 181February 13, 2020 10:34 PM

Okja changed my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 14, 2020 3:27 AM

Okja.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 14, 2020 3:27 AM

R179, Gyllenhaal isn't a huge part of the film. Tilda plays a set of twins. She's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 184February 14, 2020 3:31 AM

r179, no love for "Snowpiercer"? Tilda is great fun in that. Also a commentary on class divisions.

R148, so "Wings of Desire", "Amelie", "Silence of the Lambs", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", " The Sixth Sense", "The Shape of Water", "Like Water for Chocolate", etc etc are all out of your category.

by Anonymousreply 185February 14, 2020 5:07 PM

I also loved Snowpiercer and was sad to see r179 didn’t include it!

by Anonymousreply 186February 14, 2020 8:16 PM

Best scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 14, 2020 8:23 PM

I'm sorry! I just haven't seen it. I will now though!

by Anonymousreply 188February 14, 2020 8:35 PM

I hope Parasite won’t be blamed for the low Oscar ratings and they make new rule rule Best International Film can’t compete in Best Film category. To me as a big fan of the movie the 4 awards it won were the highlight of the show.

by Anonymousreply 189February 14, 2020 9:41 PM

r189, There can't be a correlation of Parasite winning and low numbers, as it was the last award to be given.

by Anonymousreply 190February 14, 2020 11:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!