Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bringing dogs to AA meetings?

I'm allergic to dogs, and last time some fish brought a large dog into my AA meeting. And it wasn't just any dog, it was a bully breed.

I complained to the chair afterwards and I was told to "find my part" and pray to God about the issue. That didn't really seem like an answer to me.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2019 4:54 PM

You should have a drink and relax. Things like this aren't worth getting worked up about.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 10:05 PM

Was it a St. Bernard?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 10:07 PM

A bully dog? That is camp

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 10:08 PM

I was at the hot foods section of Whole Foods. A woman (who had no obvious medical issues requiring a assist animal) has her dog in the aisle. The dog shook his body, fur. You know dander, etc was flying around. That’s not acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 10:18 PM

Don't be a hater, op.

It sounds like you're the bully.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 10:20 PM

Now you've done it, op.

Wait until the next meeting. You're TOAST!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 10:21 PM

I find the concept of emotional support animals to be just shy of a six pack of crazy town.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 10:23 PM

If you are really a member of AA you know the simple solution is bring it up at a business meeting. If you are allergic the meeting may be supportive of you.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 10:24 PM

So I think OP is probably a troll who hates AA and makes stuff up about AA.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 10:26 PM

well it's an AA meeting R7. Loads of crazies there.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 10:27 PM

What does "find your part" mean in AA-speak?

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 10:28 PM

So I think people who start sentences with "so" are probably stupid.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 10:28 PM

[QUOTE] What does "find your part" mean in AA-speak?

It means that whenever we feel upset up about something, that means we did something wrong. So even if you are mugged, raped, you need to find your part.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 10:34 PM

If you hate women, why not just go to men only meetings? Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 10:36 PM

R13, does it mean that you should find the part you played in what happened? To what extent, and how, did you cause what happened?

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 10:41 PM

“Fish”, OP? Are you posting from 1983?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 10:41 PM

The Find your part is now an overused and controlling part of cults which are sadly developing with AA. I got sober in AA in more loosey goosey time.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 10:42 PM

Within AA^

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 10:42 PM

OP, you received an answer, but it just wasn’t the answer you wanted.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 10:43 PM

AA sounds awful. If I needed such a group, I'd seek out the atheist version... Isn't there an AAA? Then they won't be telling you to pray on shit.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 11:00 PM

Was the woman under 40? Her sense of entitlement is something her sponsor should talk with her about. I don’t know she’s at, but accepting responsibility is relatively early. So is acknowledging harm done to others as a consequence of your conduct and seeking forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 11:05 PM

There are atheist and agnostic AA meetings in big cities. It's growing in AA. There's also a separate and different self help organization called Rational Recovery. I got sober in AA and still go to one loosey goosey gay meeting a week. It reminds me I can't drink, I get a few words of wisdom, and socialize with gay people. I have over 30 years sober. I'm not a fanatic but I do pray. To each his own or as they used to emphasize in AA, Live and Let Live.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 11:07 PM

R21 is the type of pious holier than thou Mary I avoid in AA. "Her sponsor should talk to her..." oh hunty, sponsors are just human and should just offer mild support after about a year.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 11:10 PM

Dump AA and go to SMART meetings, which is at least based in practical theory and solutions.

I love dogs - but I'm tired of seeing people taking them everywhere. They seem to have an attitude of 'I dare you to say anything about it'. It's selfish and attention-getting behavior that takes away from REAL trained support dogs that are absolutely essential to disabled people's daily lives.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Smart, Rational Recovery, AA. Try them all and see what works for you! Live and Let Live!

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 11:20 PM

But AA told me that if I didn't give myself completely to their simple program I would die.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 11:22 PM

You guys don't recognize an obvious troll? Stupid woman infringing on his rights, AA, dangerous dogs.... I'm surprised he didn't work Fiestaware into the story.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 11:25 PM

Yes, R26 is OP is the anti-AA troll. Oh OP, just let it go.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2019 11:27 PM

You're only dog, you're bound to make mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2019 11:42 PM

Bring your kitty cat next time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2019 11:49 PM

Well, if the dog has a drinking problem I don’t see why he shouldn’t attend meetings.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 12:42 AM

That sounds like a good idea. I'll bring my Comfort Cat.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2019 10:04 AM

[quote] R13: What does "find your part" mean in AA-speak?

[quote] It means that whenever we feel upset up about something, that means we did something wrong. So even if you are mugged, raped, you need to find your part.

That’s not what it means. In your upinteractions with people, you may find that you share responsibility for part the situation. Sometimes people will vomit our these expressions without thinking about it. In any even, look for a creative solution. Change your seat, or change your meeting.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2019 10:22 AM

[quote] R26: But AA told me that if I didn't give myself completely to their simple program I would die.

Well, people do try to look at the positive sides of things

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2019 10:23 AM

[QUOTE] In any even, look for a creative solution. Change your seat, or change your meeting.

I think bringing the cat is the best solution. Once people see the absurdity of bringing more animals there -- the floodgates opened -- all animals will be banned from the meeting.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2019 10:27 AM

Fish? AA? Is that a pedo scat queen I detect?

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2019 10:33 AM

Why is OP going to mixed meetings that allow fish? I've never seen animals at a gay men's meeting. Start going to Gay meetings only.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2019 10:35 AM

I wish more dogs went to meetings. I've found the few I've met in AA to be quite well-behaved. At least dogs don't whip out their phones and text during meetings.

There's a marmalade cat who occasionally shows up at one meeting I go to. He lives in the rectory and sometimes gets lost on his way out of the building. Someone always gets up, picks him up, and puts him outside.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2019 11:03 AM

My comfort parrot goes everywhere with me. This is us sampling at Whole Foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2019 11:11 AM

What a pretty bird, pretty bird R39. What's it's name? You're pretty too. Great profile. You've got good bone structure. When I was your age I didn't have any bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2019 11:39 AM

Bring a comfort eagle or other bird of prey.

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2019 12:53 PM

Reach down, pet the dog, scratch his head and say, “Hey boy, whatta good boy! What’re you hanging around this bitch for? Can’t ya see she’s a dog and a no good drunk?”

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2019 1:02 PM

[quote]Isn't there an AAA?

Yes, but they'll only change your tire, not your drinking habits.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2019 4:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!