Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Psychoanalyze the Guy I Saw Today (Not a Sex Thread)

I live in a town outside Philly in a county that is pretty middle of the road politically. Democratic registrations recently overtook Republican ones for the first time in county history, but it's still around the 50-50 mark. I am behind a pickup truck and I see it has a very hateful bumper sticker: "Trump 2020- Make Liberals Cry Again". I shrug it off as this is just some guy with real issues (it's one thing to vote Republican or vote for Orange Foolius, it's another to display such a hateful middle finger at people you're sharing the road with). But then when I pass him I see it's a truck belonging to a local contractor. How stupid do you have to be to piss off around half the people who might want to hire you to do a job? What goes on inside the head of such a person? If he so brainwashed by right wing media that he doesn't care if it affects his business?

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 4:55 AM

Well, one theory would say he is operating in an outdated M.O. where politics were one thing and business and social relationships, another. It wasn't that long ago most people didn't have this binary OUTRAGE, like you seem to have, OP. Good and Evil. Right and Wrong. X party and Y party.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 8:31 PM

How stupid must a CONTRACTOR be to support Trump when everybody knows he has stiffed contractors in the past? That's a whole new level of bubble insanity.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 8:32 PM

But one doesn't expect one's contractor to have Ivy League Bachelors in Ethical Philosophy and Political Economy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 8:46 PM

In fact, I specifically didn't use a contractor because I saw a picture of him on social media with a MAGA hat on.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 8:57 PM

It's your prerogative however you are symptomatic of the decline in civil society.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 9:07 PM

If I were hiring a contractor I would be worried about whether he'd show up and do a good job. I would not give a rat's ass about his bumper stickers.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 9:10 PM

OP, what bumper stickers do you have on your car?

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 9:15 PM

I guess it works both ways, OP. If you're a hardcore liberal, you would never hire him. But if you're a hardcore Republican, then you would definitely hire him. If your area is about evenly split, then maybe this helps him stand out against the competition. Net benefit - I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 9:21 PM

It’s scary how politics runs our world now.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 9:28 PM

Because people used to keep their politics to themselves R9. Only the loons were overtly vocal about their politics. Just like religion.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 9:32 PM

R10, people think it’s a sign of intelligence to discuss politics and religion. (Discussing sports is for plebes.) My husband likes to turn a perfectly nice dinner into a soapbox, basically preaching to the choir, because we’re 90% Democrat.

I wasn’t raised that way, and find it boorish to shove your political opinions in people’s faces. Especially at a dinner table, where you’re basically a captive audience.

Bumper stickers are the same type of thing. In your face.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 9:44 PM

R11 The problem isn’t being upfront about politics, the problem is that there isn’t discussion happening. It’s basically “I’m a Democrat/Republican and as a result if you believe anything besides Democratic/Republican views I don’t want to even breathe the same air as you” and nothing else anymore. Civil discussion has been abandoned in favor of people screaming “BUILD THE WALL” or “NOT MY PRESIDENT” in your face.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 9:57 PM

R1, at a cocktail party. "Why do things have to be so BINARY? I mean really. So are there really situations of true evil? Why is killing people so bad? It's not like Trump caused the Kurds to get killed. It's just mystifying. Oh, sorry, no caviar for me, it gives me explosive diarrhea. Anywhoo, give me a mentally disabled person I can fuck, and it's just not bad, is it? Is it?

*Person listening turns and walks away.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 10:09 PM

George Bush arguably committed crimes against humanity yet Ellen is his friend, R13. The contractor in this scenario here is NOT Trump, rather an ignorant Trump voter.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 10:13 PM

r14. Are you seriously using shallow, two-faced rageaholic as an example to bolster your argument? You really ARE clueless!

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 10:33 PM

I don't seriously think one can "psychoanalize" anyone based on a bumper sticker, and driving a truck. You can only be sure of one thing: he's not keen on liberals, and is a Trumper. From there, one can infer other things, like education, background, etc. I also don't for a minute believe those fond of the stickers in general are somehow defective, or in your face.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 10:47 PM

^ psychoanalyze

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 10:51 PM

OP's thought isn't new. Johnny Carson used to say he didn't tell political jokes in the opening monologue - "Why piss off half the audience before the show starts?"

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

Is he hawt OP?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 11:02 PM

I choose contractors for their handiwork rather than their intellect.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!