Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Can Any of These People Beat Trump?’

Drinking beer and watching the fourth debate with Michael Bennet.

[quote]Bennet’s failure to earn entrée to the event owes mainly to his manifest limitations as a candidate. He scarcely exudes charisma. He struggles to hit rhetorical high notes. He does not look or dress the part of a presidential contender.

[quote]At one point, when Steyer uses the phrase “frenemies” in discussing US foreign policy, Bennet glances from side to side, as if to make sure we had heard the same thing, then puts on his glasses and burrows into his iPhone, muttering something indiscernible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote]But Bennet is still hung up on O’Rourke’s line from the last presidential debate: “Hell yes, we are going to take your AR-15, your AK-47.”

[quote]A few days after that debate, Bennet recalls, he was meeting with a group of blue-collar labor Democrats in New Hampshire. The group’s leader asked him, “Why are you talking about taking our guns?” When Bennet responded it was just one person, the man pushed back. Because nobody else on the stage challenged O’Rourke, the man said, they were perceived as agreeing with his stance. Bennet walked away from the exchange dazed and deeply concerned.

Told ya.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 12:22 PM

[quote]The discussion surrounding guns, Bennet fears, is symptomatic of a broader illness in today’s political climate. “This is becoming a competition to outdo each other in the Twitterverse, instead of actually addressing the problem,”

He's such a charisma void, but he truly gets it sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 12:23 PM

No. None of them will win. Write it down.

Four more years of being cheetofucked.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 1:17 PM

The Tokyo Rose of DL has thus spoken, spreading her [paid?] demoralization efforts wherever she goes.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 1:24 PM

Bennet at that climate crisis presidential forum actually spoke a lot of sense, he had a way with words, and he seemed pretty intelligent. But man his delivery is like eating slop. So bland and annoyingly nasal.

Didn't like him at the debates, though, so I'm glad to see the back of him. And he keeps attacking Pete on Twitter, even though the article makes it clear it's Warren and Sanders who drive him up the wall. Also, this line...

[quote]I just miss Marianne Williamson.

... disqualifies him immediately.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 1:30 PM

R4, I'm not trying to demoralize. I just don't want to sugarcoat anything. Absent something big happening between now and the election, we don't have someone that can overcome Trump's jackassery, to say nothing of the insane-yet-reliable habit of Democrats eating our young.

Not trying to be a downer, just keeping it real.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 1:40 PM

Keeping it real is realizing that Trump is being impeached and the worst of his crimes have only just seeped out. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a shotgun to himself before it's all over.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 1:48 PM

R7, I would love that.

I guess I just see a lot of signs that we (Democrats) are as cocky now as we were in 2016. That's a sure fire way to lose.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 1:51 PM

Necrotic narcissists like him think they'll live forever. Suicide is most definitely not an option in his case.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 1:52 PM

R8: We're cocky (actually, no we're not) so we're going to lose? That's your analysis? You need to be quiet.

As to the post itself, Bennett is going to be a concern troll, I see. Well actually drum up some support in polling so that you can earn a place on the debate stage, Mike. Otherwise, it's obvious that you yourself don't have what it takes to win.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 1:58 PM

It's hard not to be a concern troll when you're surrounded by Democratic voters in New fucking Hamshire and they start hounding you on why you didn't speak up when Beto said he'd take your guns away. I happen to agree with Beto's position, but he made the job harder for the entire Dem field. Just be quiet, get elected, and THEN take the guns away once you've captured the WH, the Senate, and the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 2:04 PM

R10, we're not going to lose because we're cocky. Being cocky leads to losing because it gives us more latitude to eat our young and throw temper tantrums about our nominee not being perfect. If we don't worry about losing, then people are fine sitting it out or voting for Bernie/Jill/etc out of "principle". And then hells bells, we're short of votes in the midwest and we lose.

Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 2:05 PM

I agree with R11. Just shut up about polarizing issues. I know it's a democratic primary, but everything you say in the primary can be used against you in the general. Just stick to broad, non controversial issues and deal with the difficult stuff once you have the job. Telling the average American voter what they need to hear versus what they want to hear, never works out well. Just lie to them like Republicans do.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 2:11 PM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 2:13 PM

The candidates are foolishly getting boxed into far left positions to please the Northeast and Pacific whom swing state voters don’t identify with

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 2:14 PM

Ummm yeah, who the fuck calls it The Pacific?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 2:24 PM

r15 They simply don't want to hear anything about the Electoral College. The thought of another popular vote win -- even larger than Hillary's -- will be enough to sustain them through another four years of Trump. Because surprise, they're usually the sort of people who can afford another four years of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 2:24 PM

R12: No. Doesn't sound familiar at all. Eat our young? What the fuck are you talking about?

And you will ALWAYS have people saying they don't like the nominee and voting third party or staying home. That happens EVERY election, you can't stop it. The idea that we're cocky (again, we're not) so some people wont' vote or go third party is just ridiculous. There will be people who do this no matter what. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 2:26 PM

Democrats should be seeking a candidate who appeals to general election voters in Iowa, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio. That’s it. That’s the goal. We should get wary if Boston and NYC secular elites are very gung ho over a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 2:31 PM

So, R18, I don't know what triggered you, but calm the fuck down and read what I wrote. I never said that it doesn't happen every election -- what I said is that as we get more assured of our inevitable victory (which absolutely happened in 2016), the urgency to fall in line, show up, and vote for the nominee goes down. We (Democrats) have a clear track record of this.

One thing you can say about the Republicans is that no matter how awful their candidate is, they tend to fall in line behind their nominee when the chips are down. Republicans are great at holding their nose and voting the party line. Democrats aren't as great, and that's why you see more of a tendency to vote third party or just stay home if the nominee is objectionable to people in one way or another.

You may not be motivated this way, R18, but if you look at the data, we clearly have this trend as a party. That shit leads to losing close elections. That's all I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]Democrats aren't as great, and that's why you see more of a tendency to vote third party or just stay home if the nominee is objectionable to people in one way or another.

This is also why democrats, more so than republicans, have to rely on independents and swing voters. And why we have to raise so much money to support GOTV efforts. I love our base, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get some of them to polls on election day, especially in non presidential election years.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 2:39 PM

I blocked one Concern Troll and half the thread is gone.

Are they still railing on about candidates from The Pacific Ocean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 2:41 PM

R19: "secular elites" Get fucked, your right wing troll. No real human being talks this way.

R20: And I'm telling you, you're wrong. This happens every election. You're not going to stop it. And no one is guaranteeing victory anyway, so I don't know where you're getting this "cocky" stuff from.

Oh, and cut the crap with the "triggered" nonsense. What are you, 12?

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 2:43 PM

Yeah, the "secular elites" comment wasn't nice or necessary. There's no need to bring atheism into this discussion when we have enough on our plate with ideology already.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 2:49 PM

Sigh, R23. Let me know when you start to read.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 3:05 PM

R25: Sigh. Let me know when you stop concern trolling.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!