Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So Cal Residents Be Forewarned

So Cal Edison considering power shut-offs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 6:29 PM

That article is from two days ago... it's now Friday, and there were no serious winds as far as I could tell yesterday. Weather now is quite placid. Electricity's on and everything. Seems rather alarmist so far, but we'll see what happens over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 10:45 AM

I had much rather be w/o electricity for a spell than have my damn house burn down.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 11:08 AM

R1, Just thought it unusual that the LA Times would post such an article. Click bait? Attention getting? I no longer live in So Cal but still keep an occasional eye on my hometown. Still even the idea of shutting of vital power on a large scale is shocking to me.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 5:59 PM

R1 here. The winds have started up... again, not as forcefully as it blew a couple weeks ago, but you can definitely feel the fall of it all.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 6:04 PM

Will someone else die from their oxygen concentrator having no electricity?

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 6:06 PM

R4, Understand. Vegas has 18 - 20 mph winds near the strip Thurs which is unusual but same as the previous week.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 6:21 PM

R5, Maybe that was the real underlying objective of the LA Times article. That is to warn those dependent on electricity for survival, and especially those who can't afford to prep meals not dependent on a source of heat, to try to plan ahead.

Here in Vegas poorer areas of the city advertise free meals at senior citizen centers when it gets too hot, knowing full well many elderly residents can't afford high AC bills and might become disoriented. Perhaps So Cal needs to plan ahead if there's a power utility shut down. Then again look at all of the homeless elderly and disabled living on the streets . . .

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 6:25 PM

The electrical wires are the spark and the foliage is the conductor. But all the silicone filled bodies are the propellant.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!