Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watchmen on HBO Reviews

...are excellent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307April 13, 2021 8:13 AM

I hated the movie but will give this a try.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 10:32 AM

I thought it was a really solid opener. Starting off with the undercovered sacking of black wallstreet in Tulsa was a captivating.

And it occassionally rains squid! I see its a way for them to keep reminding people of the tragedy, though I think that would be confusing for people who aren't familiar with the graphic novel.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2019 2:17 AM

It was okay. I am not familiar with the graphic novels. I did like the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2019 3:31 AM

Fuck all to do with Alan Moore, which is a shame. And seriously, unless the squids are giant vagina telepathic squids, I am not biting

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2019 7:01 AM

Is Irons playing Veidt or not?

Jean Smart is Silk Spectre 2, right?

Any references to the Comedian?

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2019 7:14 AM

Yes

I presume, as the original Silky was an old broad in the comic.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2019 7:26 AM

It is purposefully unconfirmed if Jeremy Irons is playing Veidt. They are wanting to create mystery of who he is.

But Jean Smart is playing the character Malin Ackerman played in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2019 12:52 PM

The only thing you really need to know from the graphic novel is it ended with them staging this alien giant squid attack that killed lots of people and forced countries to unite against the alien threat to pull back from the brink of nuclear war r3. It was a hoax, and one they are continuing with random squid stuff appearing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2019 1:15 PM

Shquid.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2019 1:21 PM

Jean Smart has to be having fun in that role.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2019 1:24 PM

It will be interested to see where this goes. We are presented in this episode that the cops are the good guys and the Rorschach cultists are the racist bad guys, but we find out at the end that the survivor from the Tulsa massacre is on the side of the Calvary.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2019 1:34 PM

So should I read the graphic novels to get a better understanding? This seems nothing like the movie

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2019 1:43 PM

The show is telling its own story 30 years after the events of the graphic novel/movie take place r12. It's based in the same world, but it is trying to do something new.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2019 1:46 PM

Thanks r13. That’s sort of what I thought.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2019 2:07 PM

Any male frontal nudity for me to gawk at? Just asking for my niece.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2019 2:16 PM

Nope, though we did get a view of Yahya Abdul-Mateen's muscular ass.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2019 2:20 PM

If you want to deep dive into the world of the show, HBO put these on their website.

Similar to how the Watchmen graphic novel had these book within a book clippings.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2019 6:50 PM

Left off link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2019 6:50 PM

Trailer looked shitty. No superheroes just a smart guy and street thugs? Not really craving standard social commentary. I'll watch but if it sucks, it will be on your head!

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2019 7:03 PM

I think people will be underwhelmed when they look for a superhero show with crazy supernatural superpowers on the forefront. Based on first episode the show is closer to the theme of the 80s movie The Untouchables (good cops trying to fight gang and mob crime and corruption).

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2019 7:42 PM

The only supernatural being that exists in the Watchmen universe is Dr. Manhattan, other than that it is a story about normal people.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2019 7:45 PM

Vulture: WATCHMEN debuts with 800,000 viewers in its 9 p.m. linear debut, 21% above what SUCCESSION did last week. Counting encores and digital, the show was seen by 1.5M viewers Sunday. Its digital numbers were the best for a premiere since 2016's WESTWORLD.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2019 8:59 PM

Good number for Watchemn. I always forget that Succession's ratings aren't actually that high, given that everyone in the media watches it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2019 9:04 PM

Though I guess ratings don't matter as Damon doesn't want to do another season.

[Quote]He also confirms that, should HBO decide to renew Watchmen for a second season, he probably won’t be heading it up. “[It’s] not my story, right? I appropriated it,” he says. “And so the idea that someone else could come along and do another season of Watchmen, that’s really exciting to me, too. I would watch the fuck out of that. These nine episodes are sort of everything that I have to say at this point about Watchmen, and then we’ll kind of go from there.”

Also in that interview he talks about how they initially planned on incorporating Ryan Murphy into the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2019 12:15 AM

R19 Okay, bitches, I'm back. The fella who said he was gonna check it out. Withstood twenty minutes and bailed. 1920's Klansmen flying planes while machine gunning African-Americans? Is this in a Zucker Brothers' movie? Yeah, I can wrap my head around such heavy concepts like alternate universes; unfortunately things only got stupider and boringer (sic) from there.

Entertainment value? 2/10.

Thanks for nothing, fuckers. You owe me!

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2019 12:25 AM

I will watch Regina King read a phone book. (Do phone books still exist?) I'm not familiar with the source material, so the squids falling from the sky don't make any sense to me. I'm not hooked, but I will continue to watch it to support Regina. Can anyone tell me why Regina King's character has white children?

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2019 12:26 AM

R26 SPOILERS - In the comic, Adrian Veidt, (aka Ozymandias) invented a huge telepathic squid vagina creature which he teleported into the center of New York, hoping that humanity would fear this evil alien creature and band together to fight this extraterrestrial threat.

Why are squids raining down still? No fucking idea

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2019 12:33 AM

[Quote]Withstood twenty minutes and bailed. 1920's Klansmen flying planes while machine gunning African-Americans? Is this in a Zucker Brothers' movie?

Oh dear. The Tulsa massacre is from real life, plane and all. Many black people killed and businesses set flame. Though that you didn't know that says something about how we cover our history in America I guess.

But anyway, your post at r19 where you were upset that the trailer didnt have superheroes made it obvious the show wouldn't be for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2019 12:35 AM

And here is Squidy McSquidy Face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2019 12:35 AM

I tried to explain the squid stuff back at post r8.

[Quote]Can anyone tell me why Regina King's character has white children?

We all watched the same ep, it hasn't been explained yet. But presumably they are children she decided to adopt, and there will be some backstory we get.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2019 12:38 AM

Veidt's butler and maid are androids, right? Thus the horseshoe? I think he figures that the only way he can be sure that no on knows he's alive is if there are no humans around.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2019 12:40 AM

R31 He has a habit of killing his staff, so robot maid is a good idea

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2019 12:42 AM

The Tulsa Massacre

[Quote]For two days beginning May 31, 1921, the mob set fire to hundreds of black-owned businesses and homes in Greenwood. More than 300 black people were killed. More than 10,000 black people were left homeless, and 40 blocks were left smoldering. Survivors recounted black bodies loaded on trains and dumped off bridges into the Arkansas River and, most frequently, tossed into mass graves.

[Quote]There were reports that white men flew airplanes above Greenwood, dropping kerosene bombs. “Tulsa was likely the first city” in the United States “to be bombed from the air,” according to a 2001 report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2019 12:42 AM

Yes r31, I think given the horseshoe thing it is safe to assume they are robots.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2019 12:49 AM

The butler was very cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2019 1:04 AM

R35 Tommy was on the quickly turned to shit Sleepy Hollow

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2019 1:16 AM

So they pull a hoax by raining small squid? Why?

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2019 1:28 AM

R36, what's his last name?

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2019 1:29 AM

I have frame of reference about the graphic novel or movie but I really liked the first episode. It's very well done.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2019 1:33 AM

I imagine they drop the squid as a reminder to the world of the alien threat? Propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2019 1:36 AM

R40 That kinda makes sense, depends if Rorschach journal was believed or not. It seems only conspiracy theorists in this world believe it

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2019 1:52 AM

[quote] Also in that interview he talks about how they initially planned on incorporating Ryan Murphy into the show.

American Superhero Story?

[quote] The butler was very cute.

[quote] [R36], what's his last name?

It is Tom Mison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2019 5:50 AM

Redfordations. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2019 6:37 AM

First episode was excellent.

FWIW, three of the Minutemen, the precursors to the Watchmen (from the novels) were on our team: two gay men and a lesbian. And for real too, not just some fan fic interpretation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 26, 2019 1:54 AM

Don Johnson has aged like fine wine

by Anonymousreply 45October 26, 2019 9:19 AM

... Why do they all wear masks?

by Anonymousreply 46October 26, 2019 9:29 AM

I thought Don Johnson was really strong in the first episode. He's a way better actor than I remember. He looks damn good too. Too bad they offed him

by Anonymousreply 47October 26, 2019 12:47 PM

They said it in the episode r46, cops wear masks to hide their identity from people. For their own safety.

by Anonymousreply 48October 26, 2019 1:37 PM

They said it in the episode r46, cops wear masks to hide their identity from people. For their own safety.

by Anonymousreply 49October 26, 2019 1:37 PM

I am prepared to give ANYTHING with Jeremy Irons AND Tom Mison in it a try. If they're onscreen enough I can always mute it and just enjoy the eye candy. (I miss Tom Mison. Also, Tom Ellis).

by Anonymousreply 50October 26, 2019 2:17 PM

Not sure how interested I'm in Watchmen now that Don Johnson is gone. He was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 51October 26, 2019 2:55 PM

"Gone". The character is dead but I think it is a guarantee he will be around in flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 52October 26, 2019 3:30 PM

R44 Hooded Justice and the original Owl man?

by Anonymousreply 53October 26, 2019 6:33 PM

And we officially have penis. I was not expecting that guy to have such a nice body under his butler's clothes.

Also American Hero Story is totally a parody of the Snyder film. The slow mo and super stylized violence made me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2019 2:24 AM

Big blue cock!

Felt a bit more disjointed than the premiere, but still really good! The Veidt scene was the best part part of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2019 2:26 AM

Everyone assumes Jeremy Irons is playing Veidt, but with all the talk of of Dr. Manhattan bring able to make himself look human we might get a twist.

by Anonymousreply 56October 28, 2019 2:34 AM

People must be so incredibly confused if they've never read the original comics (or graphic novel) and are coming to this for the first time. The "Watchmaker's Son" play would have baffled them.

But as a reader of the original comic, I was enormously impressed. This is as layered and cryptic as the original comic, and they also even get the feel of Dave Gibbons's original layouts, with the many symmetrical compositions.

Mison has an extremely nice body, and we got a good look at his big blue cock.

by Anonymousreply 57October 28, 2019 4:48 AM

Pics please!

by Anonymousreply 58October 28, 2019 4:50 AM

Christ, OK R57 Long time reader, have been scared to watch because I fucking love the novel.

But you have made me now watch it. Back in three hours to review

by Anonymousreply 59October 28, 2019 4:50 AM

The extra material on the HBO website says that when the new Frontiersman published Rorschach's journal, no one believed it because it was so unbelievable and paranoid.

It also says there was a long period after Robert Redford was elected in 1992 when there was violent Luddite behavior across the US because of the catastrophes wrought by technology: the fear that anything connected with Dr. Manhattan might be carcinogenic (which the original comic referred to in the cancer deaths of Moloch and Janey, but which we later found out was part of the cruel giant hoax propagated by Ozymandias), and the teleportation of the extradimensional vaginal squid creature.

It also says that in his later years Adrian Veidt's companies pioneered pet cloning techniques, which suggests to me all the replica people on his estate are imperfect clones (their genetic degradation is likely why they have trouble recognizing objects sometimes and remembering lines).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 28, 2019 5:04 AM

Another piece also says that aftern 1986, Laurie Blake (previously Laurel Juspecyck) had a new vigilante identity as "The Comedienne," which i thought was interesting.

There's also more explanation for the anti-technology hysteria of the 1990s in this universe, which seems to be responsible forwhy people have some technologies more advanced than ours (like the holograms at the Greenwood Center) but other technologies much worse (no cellphones, less advanced cars).

Finally, it explains what Nixonvilles are: after the death of so many people in Manhattan after the vaginal squid creature was teleported there, The New Frontiersman published Rorschach's journal, and though most people and the Establishment believed it was a hoax, a whole series of white supremacists believed it and dropped out of society and formed the "Nixonvilles."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 28, 2019 5:17 AM

Things that remain mysterious, though I am sure we will find out the answers for in time:

*The "moths" this episode that seem to be newspeople in Mothman-inspired flight costumes

*The deal with policemen unable to use their guns unless headquarters has approved it by long distance. (Clearly something to do with Redford as a liberal president-for-life.)

*What happened to Dan Dreiberg (Nite Owl II)?

*The squidfalls

*Why Veidt was staging that play about Dr. Manhattan

*What the 7th Kavalry stealing the old batteries last episode was all about

*Why Topher has telekinesis (or was he just playing with a weird anti-gravity toy)?

*Why Germans in 1919 wanted black soldiers to defect to Germany

*What the connection is between Judd and Nite Owl II (which would explain why he has Archimedes).

*Who Red Scare, Looking Glass, and Pirate Jenny (Sister Night's three masked friends) are.

by Anonymousreply 62October 28, 2019 7:02 AM

James Wolk looking cute as senator Keene

by Anonymousreply 63October 28, 2019 7:04 AM

Isn’t Mison English? I think that penis was circumcised. Was it a fake?

He has a nice ass.

by Anonymousreply 64October 28, 2019 7:28 AM

I hate that Veidt killed that Mr. Phillips, a clone. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 65October 28, 2019 7:28 AM

They used a body double for Mison. Boo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 28, 2019 7:35 AM

Irons is Veidt:

[quote] By episode two, we're not quite ready to tell you who Jeremy Irons is playing, except that he's playing exactly who you think he's playing — and while that person may be the smartest man on earth, it doesn't mean he's the best writer."

by Anonymousreply 67October 28, 2019 7:41 AM

R61 Why the fuck would Laurel take the name of the man who raped her Mother?

by Anonymousreply 68October 28, 2019 7:57 AM

Ah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised r66. I didn't think Mison's body would that fit. Hollywood trickery.

by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2019 11:10 AM

I'm not sure, r68. In the comics Dr. Manhattan tells her that there's a cosmic meaning behind the fact that the Comedian is her father, and she seemed to accept it. (Remember that her mother went back to Blake years after the rape, which is when they conceived Laurel.) To me that seemed sort of offensive, but she obviously feels differently about him than i would if she took a variant of his superhero name (as the Comedienne).

by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2019 5:37 PM

Yes Lori is not a rape baby, even though the Comedian tried to rape her mom, her mom later started a consensual sexual relationship with him and forgave him for his earlier actions.

Her mom loved him, so I guess Lori has come to terms with her background.

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2019 5:43 PM

Would this make more sense if I watched the ZS film first?

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2019 6:47 PM

Yes r72.

I mean this show is purposefully mysterious and doesn't explain things right away, that is Damon Lindelof's style. It's meant to make you go what is happening.

But watching the movie would give you more of a background. Would let you know who Dr. Manhattan is, who Jeremy Irons is probably playing and who Jean Smart is playing when she comes aboard.

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2019 6:52 PM

R72 Read the graphic novel

by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2019 6:55 PM

Sure, but you can't expect everyone to read the the graphic novel r74. Watching the movie is an easier investment.

by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2019 6:59 PM

R75 Why? It is the actual source and actually makes sense. Unlike the messy as fuck film

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2019 7:18 PM

Who knew? Cheyenne Jackson is the guy playing the Hooded Justice, he was credited last night which I did not notice.

I'm assuming that casting means we will get some gay action in the show within a show part, as HJ was gay.

by Anonymousreply 77October 29, 2019 12:31 AM

I loved the scenes between Regina King and Louis Gossett Jr. And now we know where Regina's white kids come from. Does Will really have powers? Any spoilers?

by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Will really have powers?

Who knows, as the show said last night, the only person in the Watchmen universe who had powers is Doctor Manhattan. But obviously this can change.

He did stick his hand in boiling water to take out his eggs without flinching. Could be powers, could just be to show he is tough.

Some people on reddit like to speculate he will end up being the *real* Hooded Justice, which I guess would tie into the show within a show.

by Anonymousreply 79October 29, 2019 12:42 AM

Now I want to know who the body double was with the beautiful penis.

by Anonymousreply 80October 29, 2019 2:25 AM

He was a boy named "Fergal" is all I could find r80.

They sent Mison a lot of pictures of guys standing naked and that is who he picked to represent himself. Good taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 29, 2019 1:33 PM

I want to hook up with Fergal.

by Anonymousreply 82October 29, 2019 1:54 PM

Mison is a pussy!

by Anonymousreply 83October 29, 2019 2:10 PM

r62 the car at the end of ep2 was picked up by Night (Nite?) Owl's ship.

I like the show a lot. I read the graphic novel years ago, which I loved and saw the ZS movie, which I hated.

Overall, I think the series will be good, but I can see how people don't like it if they're not familiar with the property. All the performances have been incredible so far. Can't wait to see who plays Night Owl. I haven't looked anything up on purpose so I'm watching each ep with fresh eyes.

by Anonymousreply 84October 29, 2019 4:22 PM

Mison is beautiful when he's cleaned up. Like a more model-esque Armie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 29, 2019 5:21 PM

Mison is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 86October 29, 2019 8:21 PM

I wish they’d release the whole season like on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 87October 30, 2019 2:37 AM

Mison has crazy eyebrows. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 88October 30, 2019 2:37 AM

You get more speculation and discussion with a weekly show r87, as a binge the mystery aspect of this show would be pretty meaningless.

The water cooler effect of weekly TV is still a powerful thing.

by Anonymousreply 89October 30, 2019 2:42 AM

So I’m watching the movie on advice of DLers upthread. at the start it has the gang in front of a banner with MINUTEMEN on it.

What are the Minutemen?

by Anonymousreply 90October 30, 2019 11:48 AM

Love the historical inserts but other than that, not really feeling it. Too slow for my liking, so thank god for Jean Smart next week. I'll continue watching just for her.

Having a gay character would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 91October 30, 2019 12:20 PM

It is too slow bro

by Anonymousreply 92October 30, 2019 2:09 PM

The only "water cooler" talk I heard about Watchmen was that the shoot-out scene at the farm, in the first episode, was disgusting. But Stumptown gets talked about a lot.

by Anonymousreply 93October 30, 2019 3:33 PM

In the Watchmen universe the Minutemen were the original hero group, the Watchmen's predecessors, who included the original Nite Owl and Silk Spectre.

by Anonymousreply 94October 30, 2019 6:05 PM

Glad I decided to give this a chance. I'm currently on ep 2. It could be the full frontal male nudity, but I'm actually enjoying it so far.

by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2019 4:18 AM

Why would Tom Mison not do the nudity? Europeans don’t care about showing dick. And why would he pick a circumcised model for his English character? Are the clones born circumcised? Or does Jeremy Irons circumcise each clone as they are born?

by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2019 6:52 AM

Now that's what I call an episode of television! Jean Smart is absolutely fuckng amazing and spellbinding with every word she utters, and this entire show should be about her. That is all.

r96 Mison might be English, but he's been hoping for a big break in Hollywood for a while now. Hence no nudity from him.

by Anonymousreply 97November 4, 2019 3:01 AM

Man this episode was the best so far, Jean Smart is killing it.

And that giant Dr. Mahanttan dildo! So brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 98November 4, 2019 3:02 AM

So looks like Veidt is imprisoned in space somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 99November 4, 2019 3:06 AM

[Quote]Europeans don’t care about showing dick.

You honestly think every actor from Europe is okay with going full frontal? And it isn't like he is even from continental Europe, the English are the Americans of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 100November 4, 2019 3:08 AM

Jean Smart gave what must be called a commanding performance. I could not take my eyes off her.

by Anonymousreply 101November 4, 2019 3:20 AM

I thought Jean Smart was great--a real bad-ass bitch. She can really play anything: she's one of then most versatile actors around.

by Anonymousreply 102November 4, 2019 3:43 AM

So, mini-tutorial for those who do not know the history of this comic:

In this universe, the first wave of crime fighters were all costumed crime-fighters, none of whom had superpowers. They fought together as the Minutemen of America during the 40s. They included: Hooded Justice (the leader), Silk Spectre I, Captain Metropolis, Dollar Bill, the Comedian, Mothman, Nite Owl I, the Silhouette. Dollar Bill, who was created by a bank corporation to protect their bankes, died when his cape was caught in a revolving door and he was shot by bank robbers. The Silhouette was killed by a villain with her lesbian lover. The Comedian tried to rape Silk Spectre I, and was thrown out of the group. Mothman hurt himnself so badly flying on his gliding costume that he became an alcoholic. The rest of the group dissolved during the HUAC hearings.

In the late Fifties and Sixties, a group of second generation heroes appears. These include the only truly superpowered human being in the world, Doctor Manhattan (who is created in an "intrinsic field" experiment in laboratories in New Mexico), who can do nearly anything; Nite Owl II, an admirer of Nite Owl I, who is a great inventor and invented the Owlship (also known as "Archimedes") that we saw in episode 1; Rorschach, an ultraviolent vigilante who had a gas-powered grapple hook gun; Silk Spectre II, the daughter of the first Silk Spectre and trained by her mother to be a crime fighter; Ozymandias, who is both the smartest man in the world and the richest; and the Comedian, who has become a US government mercenary. Nite Owel II and Rorschach often team up to fight crime, and silk Spectre II becomes the lover of Doctor Manhattan. The group toy with the idea of becoming a team, but do not.

In the Seventies, the heroes are mostly co-opted by the US government led by President Nixon, who wins term after term well into the 80s (the 22nd Amendment has been repealed). With the help of Doctor Manhattan, the US easily wins the Viet Nam war and Viet Nam becomes the 51st state of the USA. But the Keene Act (named for a senator who is the father of the senator on the current series) outlaws all superheroes and masked vigilantes except Doctor Manhattan, so Nite Owl II and Silk Spectre II retire. Rorschach continues to fight illegally, and the Comedian remains employed by the US government secretly.

In the meantime, Doctor Manhattan's presence and firm commitment to the US has greatly changed the world. he can synthesize with his superpowers an element that makes possible special batteries that allow for electric cars all over the planet, and the skies are crossed by non-polluting dirigibles. The Soviet Union has grown increasingly paranoid because of his alignment with the US government, and so by the mid-80s the US and the USSR are on the brink of nuclear war.

by Anonymousreply 103November 4, 2019 4:05 AM

That guy accompanying Jean Smart is cute but he has sebaceous hyperplasia.

by Anonymousreply 104November 4, 2019 4:22 AM

This is where the Watchmen series begins. What is revealed throughout the course of the series is a ruthless plan set into motion by Ozymandias to end the Coild War and the threat of mutual nuclear annihilation. Although he also retired with the passage of the Keene Act in 1977, and has also revealed to the world he is the richest man alive, Adrien Veidt, he is secretly engineering a bizarre master plan. He secretly poisons some of Doctor Manhattan's former associates (including his first girlfriend) with radioactive materials to make it seem like his nuclear-powered body killed them; the crowds bay for his head, and so he exiles himself to Mars. He also has his plans discovered by the Comedian, who thinks no one will believe him if he unveils it to the world; but Ozymandias discovers he's been found out, and ambushes the Comedian in his apartment and flings him to his death. Nite Owl II and Rorschach both try to discover who killed he Comedian, but Veidt, afraid he might be discovered, engineers a trap, and Rorschach is arrested by the police and sent to prison.

In the meantime, Silk Spectre II, who has been abandoned by Dr. Manhattan, hooks up with Nite Owl II. Together the two bust Rorschach out of prison, and Rorschach believes he has discovered Adrian Veidt's master plan. He is planning to use his companies' technology to teleport a monster, a giant telepathic squid-like creature, into a extradimensional research institute in Manhattan: the shock of being teleported will kill the creature but in its death throes its psychic powers will cause it to kill simultaneously a large portion of the population of Manhattan. He believes the US and the Soviet Union, on the brink of nuclear confrontation, would then join forces against the supposed extradimensional invaders. They arrive at Veidt's Antarctic stronghold too late to stop him from bringing his plan to fruition. Ozymandias kills Rorschach, but Doctor Manhattan comes to Earth planning to seek revenge for the murders of Rorschach and the Comedian and the 3 million killed in Manhattan. But he is stopped in his tracks when Ozymandias reveals his plan was in fact a success, and the threat of the nuclear doomsday has ended.

Doctor Manhattan leaves the earth for Mars for good. Veidt is left behind to wonder if killing 3 million people was a good idea and whether the peace will be lasting. Nite Owl II and Silk Spectre II--who has discovered by means of Dr. Manhattan that her biological father is the Comedian, whom her mother hooked up with even though years ago he tried to rape her--create new secret identities and go off together to fight crime, despite the fact that the Keene Act is still in existence.

by Anonymousreply 105November 4, 2019 4:24 AM

Is that James Wolk?

by Anonymousreply 106November 4, 2019 4:41 AM

One final thing: just before he left to be killed in Antarctica, Rorschach mailed his journal, revealing Veidt's whole master plan, to a conservative political journal called The New Frontiersman. The series ends with a worker at the magazine about to open up the package containing the journal.

by Anonymousreply 107November 4, 2019 4:49 AM

Who dropped the car? Was it Regina’s car? What was the red dot in the sky - Mars? Did Dr Manhattan drop it?

I really don’t like this Veidt. I don’t like how he keeps killing poor Phillips. And I don’t like that they didn’t make him gay (the maid clone blew him in the first episode). In the movie, he was gay (folder titled BOYS on guys desktop). Matthew Goode should have played him again.

by Anonymousreply 108November 4, 2019 5:08 AM

Mison’s Mr Phillips is so cute and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 109November 4, 2019 5:10 AM

[Quote](the maid clone blew him in the first episode)

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 110November 4, 2019 10:20 AM

[quote]Who dropped the car? Was it Regina’s car? What was the red dot in the sky - Mars? Did Dr Manhattan drop it?

Yes, the clear implication is Dr. Manhattan dropped it after receiving Laurie's story. To show he was still listening.

by Anonymousreply 111November 4, 2019 1:20 PM

But wasn't that car sucked up by an airship of sorts in the first place? Why does Dr Manhattan need such vehicles if he's all-powerful?

by Anonymousreply 112November 4, 2019 1:22 PM

Dr. Manhattan does not need vehicles, I am not sure what you are asking. He dropped it as a joke as she told a joke about killing God by dropping something from the sky.

It does look to be same car that wheelchair guy was taken from. That's part of the mystery, we don't know why or what Will's connection might be to Dr. Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 113November 4, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote]I am not sure what you are asking.

I am asking who sucked the car into space in the first place and if it wasn't Dr Manhattan, how did he know where to find that car? And if he could find the car, why couldn't he find the old black man as well?

by Anonymousreply 114November 4, 2019 1:42 PM

A plane took the car, Angela looks up and sees it being taken away. We don't know by who.

But there was no plane visible when it was dropped, it presumably was transported to Laurie by Manhattan's powers.

That it (seems to be) the same car the old black people was taken from is part of the mystery with the plot, and an indication that Manhattan has some tie to Will.

This story is set up to a mystery, and there is a lot we don't know yet.

by Anonymousreply 115November 4, 2019 1:48 PM

Thanks. Another question:

One of the guys standing before God Jean Smart mentioned - the one dressed as an owl who built a flying ship and weapons and other "fantastic inventions" to help humanity, but didn't want to kill anyone - is that Nite Owl who is in federal prison? But I thought Adrian Veidt was the guy who built stuff? They're both engineers?

by Anonymousreply 116November 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Yes Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson in the movie version) was a famous engineer, he first designed all these agile planes with the owl type eyes which in this world was a big leap forward in aerodynamics. He is currently in federal prison in the show.

He is not as smart Adrian Veidt who is next level genius, but he still could be comfortably called a genius.

Also in regards to Veidt being gay, when the Rorsarch talks to Veidt in the graphic novel he thinks to himself "possible homosexual". That's the only reference in the text, so it really is up to Lindelof what he wants to do there.

by Anonymousreply 117November 4, 2019 2:04 PM

R110, it totally happened. The first scene where he's introduced. You have a terrible memory.

by Anonymousreply 118November 4, 2019 3:26 PM

Really hope they make him gay/bi. Maybe he has a Phillips he's fucking. From the movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 4, 2019 3:28 PM

I'm not sure Dr. Manhattan actually dropped the car, although Laurie (Jean Smart) thinks he did.

But the car could have been dropped by the airship that lifted it away last episode, and Laurie just assumed Dr. Manhattan did it because she had been sending a message to him on Mars. But as she said, he's never answered her calls before.

by Anonymousreply 120November 4, 2019 3:30 PM

Before Watchmen strongly hinted that Veidt is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 4, 2019 3:30 PM

He's bi. Thus the sociopathy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 4, 2019 3:31 PM

The maid clone did NOT blow Veidt in the first episode. She was just embarrassingly close to him when he was naked at the typewriter.

So far, neither the servant clones nor Veidt seem to be sexual beings.

by Anonymousreply 123November 4, 2019 3:31 PM

R123, ready Before Watchmen: Ozymandias. Veidt is definitely sexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 4, 2019 3:33 PM

Correct r123.

Watch the scene again r118, or you can look at the script for that episode attached.

Yes Veidt is naked, but she is definitely not performing a sex act on him, and she is just messaging and washing his legs after his horse ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 4, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote] and she is just messaging

You mean "massaging."

by Anonymousreply 126November 4, 2019 3:37 PM

I stand corrected. My apologies. Thanks, guys.

by Anonymousreply 127November 4, 2019 3:37 PM

Planes have wings, and most do not hover the way whatever lifted the car away in Episode I2 did.

The vehicle Nite Owl II (Dan Dreiberg) invented is not a plane--it has no wings. It is an airship.

by Anonymousreply 128November 4, 2019 3:38 PM

I bet they'll show Veidt fucking a Phillips. I want to see that.

Not many nice screencaps of him online yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 4, 2019 3:40 PM

The shots of Rorsarch's journal from the episode last night, showed him calling Veidt a possible homosexual.

I don't think it is an accident they included that line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 4, 2019 3:43 PM

We have not been told yet that "Before Watchmen" is canonical for the purposes of this series, and the movie definitely is not (since it changed the ending).

I think you can only assume with this series that it is only treating the actual first comic series "Watchmen" as canonical.

by Anonymousreply 131November 4, 2019 3:48 PM

Doomsday Clock looks like hot garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 4, 2019 4:00 PM

Doomsday Clock is absolutely not canon for this series.

by Anonymousreply 133November 4, 2019 4:09 PM

The going fan theory seems to be that Veidt is physically dead but that Manhattan has trapped him in some sort of purgatorial existence on Mars. In this scenario the "Game Warden" who seems to be policing Veidt is possibly Rorschach.

Lindelof followers who watched Lost and The Leftovers will know he's very introduced in notions of purgatory.

by Anonymousreply 134November 5, 2019 2:46 PM

I would like to buy the original Watchmen book however when I go to look for it all this other stuff pops up. Which is the one I want to buy?

by Anonymousreply 135November 8, 2019 3:02 AM

Jean Smart is in a class by herself. Give her all the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2019 10:35 PM

Amazing shot number one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 9, 2019 12:05 AM

...and number two.

Loved the transition between her face and Ozymandias' mask as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 9, 2019 12:06 AM

Watched High Society as a gayling always love her since then.

The twink agent slept with a mask on so they must had some kind of a roleplay sex. Lucky bitch!

by Anonymousreply 139November 10, 2019 10:17 AM

I posted about Dustin Ingram back when he appeared on The Magicians. Very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 10, 2019 10:39 AM

Anything gay related?

by Anonymousreply 141November 10, 2019 12:30 PM

Not just yet, no.

by Anonymousreply 142November 10, 2019 1:35 PM

Man, this show continues to be such a wild ride. I am fascinated by it every week and that HBO was supportive of Damon's crazy ass vision. Definitely like nothing else on television right now.

by Anonymousreply 143November 11, 2019 2:15 AM

You just need something that collects the 12 issues r135, this will do the trick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 11, 2019 2:25 AM

[quote] Lindelof followers who watched Lost and The Leftovers will know he's very [bold]introduced[/bold] in notions of purgatory.

???

That makes no sense.

Did you mean "invested"?

by Anonymousreply 145November 11, 2019 2:44 AM

Veidt is in Mars, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 146November 11, 2019 2:56 AM

*on

by Anonymousreply 147November 11, 2019 2:56 AM

HBO has taken down the "Peteypedia" supplemental material--I'm not clear why.

by Anonymousreply 148November 11, 2019 2:57 AM

It looked like the clones vanished when Veidt catapulted them off his estate, which gives more credence for the idea that Veidt is on Mars.

It would make sense that Dr. Manhattan would have devised some sort of purgatory for Veidt given Manhattan's awareness he had committed genocide. it also explained why Veidt stabbed all the clones this episode (i.e. out of frustration).

by Anonymousreply 149November 11, 2019 3:02 AM

The clone babies were so gross.

by Anonymousreply 150November 11, 2019 3:10 AM

Lady Treiu is building an interdimensional portal, I think.

by Anonymousreply 151November 11, 2019 3:35 AM

Remember what she said the device does. "It keeps time." Think about it.

The prologue with the childless couple in the farmhouse took place when, do we think?

by Anonymousreply 152November 11, 2019 8:25 PM

I am finding anything actually from the comic good (Laurie, Jon, the Adrian is not the comic Adrian)

Everything new created for this world I find tiresome

by Anonymousreply 153November 11, 2019 8:44 PM

R146, the way they panned out from Veidt, to the moon and back down to Earth, it seemed to hint that he's on the moon. But I'm just taking a wild guess.

by Anonymousreply 154November 11, 2019 9:48 PM

Thank you r144. That is what I bought.

by Anonymousreply 155November 11, 2019 11:31 PM

Two things I enjoyed in particular in an otherwise boring episode: the metric system being used and that secular humanist conversation about death with the kids. How refreshing to see the latter on television. And it wasn't presented cynically either, which I really appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 156November 16, 2019 12:53 AM

The actor who played young Looking Glass had a surprisingly cute butt on such a thin frame.

No surprise really that James Wolfe is with the 7th calvary, but it seems their real goal is about spreading the truth of the squid hoax.

Watching their "American Hero Story" show within a show I was sadly thinking, a show about a sexually active gay male that is a popular mainstream hit. If only!

by Anonymousreply 157November 18, 2019 2:44 AM

r157 I came to this thread planning to post about that cute butt. I should have known someone would beat me to it. Bubbly!

by Anonymousreply 158November 18, 2019 2:51 AM

Not really feeling this episode. Boring and convoluted, and some of the editing was pretty iffy. The worst part was the young Looking Glass wearing a pouch over his cock. Just... why? He's not a minor, is he?

And what's with the gay porn clip? Are we being used for jokes now? The pressing of the button didn't amuse me either, not even as a Lost callback. Move on, Lindelof.

And lastly, he thinks the Appropriations Committee isn't all that? Bitch, that's the big one right there! I cannot with that line. 😒

by Anonymousreply 159November 18, 2019 3:50 AM

The show is starting to lose me with the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 160November 18, 2019 4:43 AM

[Quote]And what's with the gay porn clip? Are we being used for jokes now?

Uh. It was an episode of American Hero Story. The same show within a show they showed earlier about the Hooded Justice.

by Anonymousreply 161November 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Hooded Justice was a 1940s hero who was gay. No one ever knew his real identity, some fans are guessing it is going to be revealed that Will was the real Hooded Justice but we will see.

by Anonymousreply 162November 18, 2019 12:37 PM

R162, who's Will?

by Anonymousreply 163November 18, 2019 1:35 PM

Regina's grandfather r163.

by Anonymousreply 164November 18, 2019 1:36 PM

The Kalavry went to Mirror Face's house with guns at the end of the episode?

by Anonymousreply 165November 18, 2019 1:37 PM

Yep r165, left us with a cliffhanger.

Next week is ep 6, which is the one the critics were going crazy about.

by Anonymousreply 166November 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Watched it and found it vile. But, I'm not into franchise movies in alternative realities. They all seem designed to appeal to people in society wanting to escape their own realities.

by Anonymousreply 167November 18, 2019 1:51 PM

GIANT SQUID! GIANT SQUID! . A must see.

by Anonymousreply 168November 18, 2019 1:56 PM

A way too dense and confusing episode

by Anonymousreply 169November 18, 2019 2:05 PM

I thought it was the weakest episode to date but there was still plenty good about it. The scene with Jeremy Irons dragging clone parts around that lunar surface reminded me of "Twin Peaks: The Return."

I know Paula Malcolmson's character came to the squid support group to basically entrap Looking Glass (rigging the lettuce to fall out of the truck, etc). But he didn't know that, so when he followed her into the Seventh Kavalry's headquarters, WHY DIDN'T HE PUT HIS MASK ON? The whole point of the masks are that cops starting wear them after attacks by the Seventh Kavalry! This seemed like a real piece of sloppy writing. I also found it weird that Agent Blake has seemingly been allowed to unilaterally assume command of the Tulsa Police Department.

I agree it's feeling somewhat convoluted, but then again, the original comic wasn't exactly a showcase for linear plotting either.

by Anonymousreply 170November 18, 2019 3:07 PM

Too much Looking Glass, too little Jean Smart.

by Anonymousreply 171November 18, 2019 4:38 PM

Was the Game Warden played by the same actor who played Veidt's cloned butlers?

by Anonymousreply 172November 18, 2019 6:41 PM

[quote]But he didn't know that, so when he followed her into the Seventh Kavalry's headquarters, WHY DIDN'T HE PUT HIS MASK ON? The whole point of the masks are that cops starting wear them after attacks by the Seventh Kavalry!

Renee threw him off completely by flirting with him and kissing him.

Just like the woman did when she stole his clothes when he was younger.

When he tailed her to the Kavarly meeting he was pretty distraught. He didn't wait for backup. He searched frantically for his gun. He jumped when the basketballs came out of the portal. He was jittery when he was surrounded.

I just think this is an instance of, "he forgot" since he's usually as cool as a cucumber any other time. She knew what his weakness was and used it: he's lonely.

by Anonymousreply 173November 18, 2019 7:05 PM

Taking on the label “gay” matters so much. Guys can be at peace with some level of samesex interest, but taking on a gay identity for oneself still is supremely unnerving and unacceptable to most men. Hence the prevalence of str84str8 and “I’m not gay but.”

by Anonymousreply 174November 19, 2019 12:53 AM

R110 she most certainly did in the scene where she is behind the desk. It's in one of the first 2 episodes. Jeremy Irons makes a remark something like , ' finish your work', or something. It's followed by the scene where they give him the cake.

Where can I watch it at though? My Kodi app won't show TV Shows b/c some site went down <_<.

by Anonymousreply 175November 22, 2019 3:38 PM

The only plot I care about now is the Adrian Veidt prison/purgatory storyline . Hopeful for more naked Mr Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 176November 23, 2019 2:07 PM

No she didn't r175. We rehashed this already if you keep reading.

[quote]Was the Game Warden played by the same actor who played Veidt's cloned butlers?

They are trying to keep the face hidden, which makes me think that will be the case.

by Anonymousreply 177November 23, 2019 2:23 PM

Amazing show tonight! They finally explain (after nearly 35 years of waiting!) who Hooded Justice is and what his big secret was, which was really brilliant. It connects so well with the original comic book that I wonder if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons did not have it figured out when they wrote it and designed the characters.

Chris Whitley, who played Captain Metropolis, is sex on a stick. The actor who plays him, Chris Whitley, is gorgeous. We get a look at his naked body from the back--he's got a very nice ass, and is very muscular.

by Anonymousreply 178November 25, 2019 2:01 AM

Sorry--Jake McDorman was Captain Metropolis in this episode, not Chris Whitley.

by Anonymousreply 179November 25, 2019 2:03 AM

Yes Damon's origin for the Hooded Justice is brilliant. If Alan Moore wasn't such an utter dick about anyone touching his work I think he would agree.

by Anonymousreply 180November 25, 2019 2:16 AM

This show continues to do a great job of showcasing our real history even though it's an alternative reality.

That giant Nazi rally in Madison Square Garden? It happened for real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 25, 2019 2:25 AM

I was writing something while I was watching and literally bent my head down for a second towards the end of the scene where Captain Metropolis comes to Will's house, and the next time I looked up they were banging each other. Ha ha, nice reveal. CM just wanted Hooded Justice for his BBD, he couldn't care less about the KKK. I found a lot of this episode quite funny.

Why does it list Cheyenne Jackson in the credits as Hooded Justice? Is he supposed to be the tv show version on American Hero Story?

I'm really enjoying Louis Gosset Jr in this. He was great at the end.

by Anonymousreply 182November 25, 2019 2:26 AM

Yes Cheyenne Jackson has been playing the Hooded Justice on the show-within-the show. We saw his face this episode r182.

[Quote]and the next time I looked up they were banging each other

Yeah it happened very quick, and there was no time spent to them discussing their sexuality and the struggle that comes with being gay in the 40s. But I get the episode was already crowded with so much.

by Anonymousreply 183November 25, 2019 2:37 AM

Cheyenne Jackson plays Hooded Justice in "Watchmen"'s TV-show-within-a-TV-show "American Hero Story."

by Anonymousreply 184November 25, 2019 2:39 AM

[Quote]I'm really enjoying Louis Gosset Jr in this. He was great at the end.

Yea I think he has been great all season, nice to see him getting a juicy role so late in his career.

by Anonymousreply 185November 25, 2019 2:43 AM

Last night's was a pretty tremendous episode. I can't stop thinking about it. They took the original hero of the Watchmen universe and made him a black gay man. The way this show is playing with superhero lore is just blowing my mind.

by Anonymousreply 186November 25, 2019 2:56 PM

Last night's episode was one of the best-directed episodes in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 187November 25, 2019 4:52 PM

That cloned pet incinerator in the episode last week was despicable.

This week was great.

by Anonymousreply 188November 25, 2019 4:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 25, 2019 8:54 PM

There are tons of empty seats at MSG. Lol, remind you of anyone?

by Anonymousreply 190November 25, 2019 9:34 PM

I could only half-watch last night (dog problems). I’ll rewatch it on demand later this week.

What I saw looked astonishing. But who was that little boy who found a baby wrapped in an American flag? I couldn’t figure out that part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 191November 25, 2019 9:37 PM

R191, the little boy is Will Reeves (Louis Gossett), remember his parents told him to run away from the slaughter. He found a baby wrapped in a flag. That baby will turn out to be June, the woman who Will marries when they are adults.

by Anonymousreply 192November 26, 2019 2:05 AM

Thank you, r192.

by Anonymousreply 193November 26, 2019 2:08 AM

My dream fuck is Jake McDorman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 26, 2019 2:10 AM

Completely agree r187. I was mesmerized how the various memories were intertwining for Angela as she was experiencing them. The cinematography was impeccable.

by Anonymousreply 195November 26, 2019 3:41 AM

Yeah R186 back in a time where homosexuality was still considered a from of sodomy. Black and gay is like woah ! I wonder how Capt. Metropolis knew Reeves was gay .

by Anonymousreply 196November 27, 2019 6:02 AM

^^^That was so odd. Why did they throw that into the storyline. We hadn't gotten any hints about it beforehand. It didn't really add anything into the story, although it was fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 197November 27, 2019 10:43 AM

More superheroes. Thank god, it’s been five minutes since the last one.

The world is going to hell. People can’t find entertainment in anything but absurd fantasy anymore. Americans elect a buffoonish rapist criminal to be their highest leader, brits fling themselves off a cliff like lemmings, in the face of insurmountable evidence of a climate disaster we keep happily belching CO2 into the air. Where’s that asteroid when you need it?

by Anonymousreply 198November 27, 2019 11:17 AM

[Quote]We hadn't gotten any hints about it beforehand.

You mean other than the entire show within a show that referenced Hooded Justice being gay in multiple episodes?

It's not a show invention, there were references in the Watchmen graphic novel that Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis were in a relationship. The only thing the show did was give an identity to Hooded Justice (and specifically as a black man), Hooded Justice's identity was never known, he was always a mysterious creation.

by Anonymousreply 199November 27, 2019 2:09 PM

Fred Trump was being depicted in the last episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 28, 2019 4:01 AM

Wtf, Doctor Manhattan was hiding out as Cal and Angela was fully aware of this. Did not see that coming.

What I do see coming is Adrian Veidt is going to be Lady Trieu's father I think. When Angela asks if her father is going to be joining she ominously says "he will be". And we are shown again she has a statue of Adrian Veidt.

by Anonymousreply 201December 2, 2019 2:42 AM

I do have to say though Angela's grandmother collapsing in front of her was just over the top. We get it Damon, she had a tragic upbringing, but you layed it on too thick. Surprised that survived the writer's room.

by Anonymousreply 202December 2, 2019 3:02 AM

Amazing episode with an insane twist but yes, r202, that was a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 203December 2, 2019 3:33 AM

What’s with the poor elephant?

by Anonymousreply 204December 2, 2019 3:41 AM

Elephants are famous for their good memory.

by Anonymousreply 205December 2, 2019 3:47 AM

I wish the remaining two episodes were already available.

by Anonymousreply 206December 2, 2019 3:48 AM

Elephants never forget R204 and that elephant has been absorbing a lot of pain.

by Anonymousreply 207December 2, 2019 6:26 AM

So that secular humanist talk to the kids I had raved over upthread was apparently supposed to be a clue, and many on Reddit guessed it immediately. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 208December 2, 2019 2:37 PM

Yes in retrospect Cal's very cooly logical explanation to the kids about death was definitely a clue.

by Anonymousreply 209December 2, 2019 2:44 PM

The clue was the dildo named Excalibur.

by Anonymousreply 210December 2, 2019 3:00 PM

For me this was the weakest one r203. Still a huge fan of this series.

by Anonymousreply 211December 2, 2019 8:47 PM

I freaking love this show. It’s like a David Lynch comic book.

by Anonymousreply 212December 2, 2019 9:48 PM

So who dropped the car from the sky if Dr Manhattan was in Cal? And didn't we see him building something on Mars towards the start of the series? Or was that old satellite footage?

Also, people are mentioning "HBO Manhattan logo"? I must have missed it.

by Anonymousreply 213December 3, 2019 3:23 AM

[quote] So who dropped the car from the sky if Dr Manhattan was in Cal?

Probably an owlship using a giant electromagnet, which is what likely stole that car the episode before. You were misdirected to thin k dr. manhattan dropped it because that's what Laurie Blake thought.

[quote] And didn't we see him building something on Mars towards the start of the series?

We saw some sort of building on Mars, but we don't know whether he built it. Again, you were misdirected.

by Anonymousreply 214December 3, 2019 3:27 AM

r198, people have been escaping into superhero stories since the 30s (or even earlier, in the 20s, if you count Zorro and Doc Savage).

But don't let that stop you from throwing your little handwringing fit.

by Anonymousreply 215December 3, 2019 3:32 AM

Laurie's enormous blue dildo, we learned from Peteypedia a few weeks ago, is named "Excalibur."

Excalibur = Ex-Cal Abar.

by Anonymousreply 216December 3, 2019 3:41 AM

[quote] [R198], people have been escaping into superhero stories since the 30s (or even earlier, in the 20s, if you count Zorro and Doc Savage).

[quote]But don't let that stop you from throwing your little handwringing fit.

[quote]—Oh, the DRAMA!

Go ahead and pretend not to understand the difference between the occasional fun foray into superpower escapism, and the *almost complete reliance on it* for a society’s storytelling, including what passes for serious drama in our disposable culture.

Martin Scorsese recently spoke up about this and he was 100% right.

And yes that *is* absolutely happening — look at how seriously the final Avengers movie took itself, and many viewers (and critics) took it.

But ... you see no difference? Like I said, I’m just going to assume you’re pretending. Idiocracy has become reality, but I gather it’s “throwing a little hissy fit” to point that out. When absurd superpower fantasy becomes one of the main staples of a society’s cultural expression, is it any surprise that a swindling rapist fake-tycoon can slime his way into the White House? Two sides of the same coin.

by Anonymousreply 217December 3, 2019 12:50 PM

They almost lost me but last episode 12/1 was great!

by Anonymousreply 218December 3, 2019 1:01 PM

I watched the end credits all the way through and did not realize that this is a DC production. So are the Watchmen in the same universe as Superman, Batman, WW, and the rest?

by Anonymousreply 219December 3, 2019 1:04 PM

r219 It's just a rights thing, I think.

by Anonymousreply 220December 3, 2019 1:20 PM

I’m not a comic book fan, let alone a comic book movie fan. I read Watchmen back in the day and thought it wasn’t nearly as clever or deep as it was pretending to be. The only reason I started watching this show is because I loved The Leftovers so much. And I’m so glad I stayed.

So, I agree that comic book culture and superheroes are far too culturally pervasive and important these days. But good is good. And this show is delivering something genuinely interesting.

[quote] Excalibur = Ex-Cal Abar.

Ha! Fucking brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 221December 3, 2019 1:23 PM

"A God Walks into a Bar" [Abar] is the title of the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 222December 3, 2019 1:26 PM

The Watchmen graphic novel was published by DC comics the company r219, but it is a standalone story that exists in its own world. The only supernatural being to exist in this world has been Doctor Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 223December 3, 2019 1:39 PM

DC decided to have Superman et al visit watchmen

by Anonymousreply 224December 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Does Dr Manhattan not allow that chamber he was "born" in to be recreated? You'd think that would be the first thing on people's minds - to create more blue omnipotent people. Or is that exactly what the Kavalry is doing now? Though how do deplorable rednecks in fucking Oklahoma have the wherewithal to do that and the Saudis, the Chinese... don't?

by Anonymousreply 225December 3, 2019 1:44 PM

It was established in the Watchmen comic that Manhattan was able to duplicate himself which could also help explain ways in which he seems to be popping up in this show's story.

by Anonymousreply 226December 7, 2019 3:27 PM

He seems to be wearing a suit in the trailer for this show. Any reason he had to be naked in the comics?

by Anonymousreply 227December 7, 2019 3:36 PM

I read Cal shows goes full frontal in tonight's episode. That's reason enough for me to tune in tonight.

by Anonymousreply 228December 9, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote] Any reason he had to be naked in the comics?

He wore fewer and fewer clothes over the years after he became transformed into Dr. Manhattan to show how progressively removed he was from the rest of mankind.

by Anonymousreply 229December 9, 2019 1:50 AM

[Quote]I read Cal shows goes full frontal in tonight's episode.

Haven't seen any interviews about this, but just from watching it I am damn sure that was a prosthetic.

by Anonymousreply 230December 9, 2019 2:24 AM

It was an odd episode. I don't understand why Dr. Manhattan couldn't have just disappeared out of the way of the tachyon cannon given his omniscience & omnipotence.

by Anonymousreply 231December 9, 2019 2:25 AM

Doctor Manhattan is pretty notorious for letting things happen. In the graphic novel, there is a great scene where the Comedian gives him shit about that after he watches him kill this woman he knocked up.

I'm sure he would just give some cryptic "this was meant to happen"

by Anonymousreply 232December 9, 2019 2:33 AM

Be sure to stay for the post-credits scene!

by Anonymousreply 233December 9, 2019 2:35 AM

So in the finale, Angela is going to become the new Dr. Mahattan?

The scene where they explain Jon could transfer his powers into something have someone else imbibe them is a giant flashing Chekov's gun.

by Anonymousreply 234December 9, 2019 2:39 AM

They needed to explain that eventually anyway because presumably that's exactly James Wolk's plan as well.

I keep wondering what the deal with that big clock is.

by Anonymousreply 235December 9, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]Haven't seen any interviews about this, but just from watching it I am damn sure that was a prosthetic.

He said it is him.

[quote]If Doctor Manhattan is known for anything besides his blue hue, it’s that he’s not fond of wearing clothes—so it’s not surprising that the Yale School of Drama alum bared all in Episode Eight. “For me it was liberating,” he says. "I always had the choice every day that I filmed it. I was given the choice of how much I would show, what I would show."

[quote]HBO announced last year that actors on all of its series would work with intimacy coordinators to ensure that sex scenes and other sensitive moments would be filmed in ways that respect performers and their comfort. And Abdul-Mateen consulted with an intimacy coordinator on his nude scenes and sex scenes for Watchmen. “There was someone that I could talk with and make sure that my comfort was a top priority,” he says. And while he’d had positive experiences shooting sex scenes before this role, he found working with an intimacy coordinator helpful. “It really adds to the comfort level, to have someone whose specific job is to make sure that the performers and everyone on set is taken care of in that regard,” he says."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 9, 2019 4:00 AM

It was his when he was walking into Adrian's place. Doubt it was his for that full frontal shot.

by Anonymousreply 237December 9, 2019 4:01 AM

Do we know who voiced Manhattan before he took over Cal's identity?

by Anonymousreply 238December 9, 2019 4:02 AM

According to EW, Yahya was doing that voice too, r238. He said he based it on Steve Jobs and Damon Lindelof.

by Anonymousreply 239December 9, 2019 6:54 PM

r239 Wow, thanks, I never would have guessed that. Was kinda frustrated that they kept obscuring Jon's face, but now I'm fully on board with that creative choice.

I also love how his actual colour (when he isn't glowing, that is) is closer to turquoise than the blue he's depicted as by ordinary people. Perhaps a subtle commentary on the disconnect between our image of what a god is supposed to look like and the actual reality. Or, you know, that shade would fuck with the blue screen too much. 😄

by Anonymousreply 240December 9, 2019 6:58 PM

I thought this was the season finale. I'm glad there's one more.

by Anonymousreply 241December 9, 2019 11:54 PM

Please tell me James Wolk is naked next week.

by Anonymousreply 242December 9, 2019 11:58 PM

[quote] So in the finale, Angela is going to become the new Dr. Mahattan?

Except she'll be Dr. Tulsa.

by Anonymousreply 243December 10, 2019 12:09 AM

That episode was insane. He could have stopped the machine if he wanted to. He didn't want to, I think. No way this can be wrapped up in 1 more episode. Is the series coming back?

by Anonymousreply 244December 10, 2019 12:12 AM

Nope r244. It was planned as a one off series, and Damon has said while he might return to Watchmen at some point if the inspiration strikes, as of right now he is leaving it with this series.

by Anonymousreply 245December 10, 2019 12:16 AM

Nope r244. It was planned as a one off series, and Damon has said while he might return to Watchmen at some point if the inspiration strikes, as of right now he is leaving it with this series.

by Anonymousreply 246December 10, 2019 12:17 AM

So it'll have a true ending. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 247December 10, 2019 12:18 AM

[quote]Please tell me James Wolk is naked next week.

Heh, based on the preview it looks like we will see James Wolk naked. Here is hoping.

by Anonymousreply 248December 10, 2019 12:21 AM

[quote]It was his when he was walking into Adrian's place. Doubt it was his for that full frontal shot.

Yes the scene of him walking I have no doubt it was Yahya Abdul-Mateen naturally in the buff. But the scene where he is standing in front of Veidt it looked weird to me, very prostheticy instead of someone's natural dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 10, 2019 12:36 AM

R244, I think it was pretty clear that he didn't want to stop it because he already knows exactly what's going to happen and the result is more desirable to him than him stopping it.

Hopefully we'll get nude James Wolk.

They were dropping anvils that not only is Doctor Manhattan going to die but he'll change himself into something else, Angela will eat it (cooking was "more important" to him than fleeing and he already explained he thinks he could transfer his powers that way) and gain his powers to become a new "Doctor Manhattan."

by Anonymousreply 250December 10, 2019 12:40 AM

Looking at interviews, apparently Mateen had no idea that he was playing Doctor Manhattan. He wasn't told until after they finished filming the first two episodes.

I do think he did a good job, I liked him in the gayish Black Mirror episode he did also.

by Anonymousreply 251December 10, 2019 1:18 AM

I love the fact that Mateen is also an architect for some reason. Love actors with fancy backgrounds like that.

by Anonymousreply 252December 10, 2019 1:21 AM

He’s a Yale man

by Anonymousreply 253December 10, 2019 5:19 PM

Last week’s episode was just great.

by Anonymousreply 254December 10, 2019 6:17 PM

Looking forward to the finale!

Before this show, I thought Tulsa was in Florida. 🙊

by Anonymousreply 255December 14, 2019 2:12 PM

R255, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 256December 14, 2019 2:58 PM

R255, delete your account

by Anonymousreply 257December 14, 2019 3:34 PM

To be fair, I'm not American. 😥

by Anonymousreply 258December 14, 2019 3:42 PM

Damon gave an interview to Queerty, which as they say came as surprise to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 15, 2019 9:35 PM

Wouldn't expect a non-American to even know Tulsa r258. It's not a major city.

by Anonymousreply 260December 15, 2019 9:37 PM

That's Tallahassee, fool.

by Anonymousreply 261December 15, 2019 9:42 PM

r260 I think I was just confused because the Ts and Ss are also in Tallahassee. 🤦‍♂️

r295 Ooh, interesting.

by Anonymousreply 262December 15, 2019 9:43 PM

Heh, the cunty r261 got there seconds before me and actually got it right.

by Anonymousreply 263December 15, 2019 9:44 PM

^^ The "interesting" refers to r259's post.

Can he PLEASE make another season of this? 🙏

by Anonymousreply 264December 15, 2019 9:46 PM

I have no idea how he can pay off this excellent season and do it all justice in just one more one-hour episode. I really don't.

I hope he does.

But even if he fucks up the landing here, the series has been amazing and kudos to everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 265December 15, 2019 9:58 PM

Hairy-chested muscular James Wolk in Dr. Manhattan's Speedo!

HOLY FUCK!

by Anonymousreply 266December 16, 2019 2:28 AM

Amazing and perfect finale. More, more, again, again!

by Anonymousreply 267December 16, 2019 2:35 AM

[quote]"Considering what he can do, he could've done more."

Truer words...

by Anonymousreply 268December 16, 2019 2:39 AM

Could someone explain to me how the frozen squidfall killed all those people?

Also, how did Red Scare survive the frozen squidfall when it killed everybody else?

And who was Lube Man from the 4th episode who slipped down the storm drain?

And how did Lady Trieu kill all those members of Cyclops/The Seventh Kavalry (including Frances Fisher)? That light just made them disappear--what was it?

Finally, the second someone finds a still of James Wolk in that black Speedo, will they please post it?

by Anonymousreply 269December 16, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote]Finally, the second someone finds a still of James Wolk in that black Speedo, will they please post it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270December 16, 2019 3:00 AM

[quote]Could someone explain to me how the frozen squidfall killed all those people?

Like hail, only worse. And hail alone has been known to kill people.

[quote]Also, how did Red Scare survive the frozen squidfall when it killed everybody else?

He was lucky and got into the car in time.

[quote]And who was Lube Man from the 4th episode who slipped down the storm drain?

Unexplained, I think? Local vigilante, probably.

[quote]And how did Lady Trieu kill all those members of Cyclops/The Seventh Kavalry (including Frances Fisher)? That light just made them disappear--what was it?

Incinerated by very, very strong lasers.

[quote]Finally, the second someone finds a still of James Wolk in that black Speedo, will they please post it?

Working on getting a high-quality version as I type...

by Anonymousreply 271December 16, 2019 3:01 AM

Thank you, r270 and r271!

by Anonymousreply 272December 16, 2019 3:05 AM

Man, that was a great show. I hope they leave it at that and don't do anymore. That was just a very, very well done series. They should just stop there and leave it. I started with the show kind of like wondering but then it just ended really well.

by Anonymousreply 273December 16, 2019 3:09 AM

Or maybe an anthology of sorts where they focus on a different group of vigilantes? Or go to another time period? HBO is going to pester the crap out of Lindelof to make another season.

by Anonymousreply 274December 16, 2019 3:10 AM

[Quote]Could someone explain to me how the frozen squidfall killed all those people?

Large frozen objects falling from the sky are deadly. This is the thing you question?!

by Anonymousreply 275December 16, 2019 3:53 AM

[Quote]And who was Lube Man from the 4th episode who slipped down the storm drain?

That had to be Petey, Laurie's FBI partner she brought to Tulsa. The body types fit.

[Quote]Finally, the second someone finds a still of James Wolk in that black Speedo, will they please post it?

I didn't think James Wolk would be comfortable with full frontal, but I was disappointed we didnt even get an ass shot.

by Anonymousreply 276December 16, 2019 3:55 AM

People here are so mean. 😕

by Anonymousreply 277December 16, 2019 3:55 AM

I have to say maybe my expectations were high but I was disappointed in the finale. The Watchmen comic has the famous ending and Veidts slightly evil plan to kill 3 million people saving the day and everyone being forced along with it except our main protagonist ist Roscharch who is killed. It's a very morally ambiguous ending.

This was much more of a simple the good guys save the day type ending, which was not the spirit of the Watchmen. I felt the show h as d some s good job understanding what made the story so special and enduring but the ending didnt match that.

by Anonymousreply 278December 16, 2019 4:01 AM

[quote]I didn't think James Wolk would be comfortable with full frontal, but I was disappointed we didnt even get an ass shot.

He did rear nudity on "Tell Me A Story" and even that was distant and a bit of a shock since he has avoided it thus far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 16, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote] Large frozen objects falling from the sky are deadly.

Well, while that's true, the squids in the squidfalls are very, very tiny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280December 16, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote]And who was Lube Man from the 4th episode who slipped down the storm drain?

HBO has been running a tie-in Watchmen website.

They made their final posting tonight with an update confirming that: Dale was Lubeman and they've fired him from the FBI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 16, 2019 4:17 AM

I liked Lady Trieu.

by Anonymousreply 282December 16, 2019 4:36 AM

The preview last week showed Regina King painted blue like the new Dr. Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 283December 16, 2019 4:40 AM

ALso this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284December 16, 2019 5:45 AM

Wolk has the perfect bod. And yes, he looked ridic in those panties. 😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 16, 2019 1:12 PM

Here's the thing though, if he did a full frontal shot, it wouldn't matter the size of his dick, you fucking dirty cunts would do nothing but complain about it. So actually it's a very good thing they had him in the panties. He could have had a 13 in cock all you filthy bitches would have done was argued that it was a prosthetic and it was still too small. So fuck all of you.

by Anonymousreply 286December 16, 2019 4:07 PM

The panties looked awkward because he fashioned them based on what Dr Manhattan used to wear when he wasn't walking around naked.

He should've just worn regular briefs, like other rednecks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287December 16, 2019 5:32 PM

R287 that’s what I’m saying. All you guys do is bitch bitch bitch.

by Anonymousreply 288December 16, 2019 6:02 PM

I can't get over how Jeremy Irons sounds like Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 289December 17, 2019 5:25 PM

What was that thing with Angela's kid levitating his (her?) toy house in the first or second episode? Was that just a levitation technology or a hologram or does the kid have a telepathic ability?

by Anonymousreply 290December 17, 2019 5:28 PM

I think it was meant to be levitation technology, r290. Technology is in some ways more advanced in the Watchmen universe because of advances engineered by Dr. Manhattan using his powers.

by Anonymousreply 291December 18, 2019 6:23 PM

Thanks, I thought as much.

by Anonymousreply 292December 18, 2019 6:26 PM

I adored this show. PLEASE don’t try a second season. Let it just be a fantastic one-off.

by Anonymousreply 293December 19, 2019 10:01 PM

Hoping Jean Smart gets a show out of this.

by Anonymousreply 294December 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Regina King and Jean Smart both won their award at the critics choice awards.

by Anonymousreply 295January 13, 2020 12:32 AM

Well, it's over.

[quote]Lindelof told USA TODAY this week that he's told the story he wants to tell and has no interest in a second season, though he's "given my blessing" to HBO should it want to pursue a new installment with another writer-producer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 16, 2020 7:57 PM

Yes!!!!! Thank the Lord!! So glad! If they ever do another one do it like they did The Comeback. Do it ten years later.

by Anonymousreply 297January 16, 2020 8:15 PM

I'm actually really disappointed. Although there was one episode that dragged, I found the rest of the series amazing.

by Anonymousreply 298January 22, 2020 10:28 PM

I really enjoyed the series as well r298, which is why I appreciate they are respecting Damon's wishes to keep it as a contained story.

by Anonymousreply 299January 22, 2020 10:50 PM

Yes, but no... I took the absence of the “miniseries” moniker as an implication that we should expect a series. That’s my fault, I guess.

But I’m getting tired of these “visionary geniuses” coming down with the same short-attention span/ADHD that Ryan Murphy pioneered after he got bored with Glee, Scream Queens, and evening AHS.

by Anonymousreply 300January 22, 2020 11:01 PM

Jean Smart was the best thing about the entire season.

by Anonymousreply 301January 22, 2020 11:44 PM

I watched the first episode last night, thinking it was a series about the Tulsa Massacre. I had no idea it was some comic book fantasy piece, so was thoroughly confused and bored (not a fan of the genre).

I DID think it was very timely, however, that people were wearing masks over lower half of face, echoing what's happening in present (and real) day.

by Anonymousreply 302June 23, 2020 11:15 PM

I loved it. It's even better the second time around. Damn. Cal is just perfect.

by Anonymousreply 303October 30, 2020 4:19 AM

Got HBO Max and I’m finally watching this now, I’m on episode 5 and it’s interesting and all, but when does the Watchman superhero show up? They’ve never even really mentioned him yet, is it going to be the sheriff coming back from the dead and his alter ego? It’s a very drawn out origin story.

by Anonymousreply 304March 8, 2021 2:02 AM

I’m about a year and a half late, but I finally watched this on HBO Max and, as a big fan of both the graphic novel and film, I was floored.

I loved everything about this and cried, too!

by Anonymousreply 305April 13, 2021 7:50 AM

It was okay, but I think calling it “Watchmen” is a stretch. I remember reading that one of the creators didn’t want anything to do with it because he felt it was too far removed from the actual source material and I would definitely agree with his assessment.

by Anonymousreply 306April 13, 2021 7:59 AM

R306 Alan Moore hasn’t wanted to be attached to or even watch anything DC-related because he feels they effectively stole Watchmen from him. He hasn’t commented on the direction of any of the subsequent Watchmen projects following his seminal work because he’s simply not interested enough to tune in on any level.

Co-creator and artist of the original Watchmen Dave Gibbons, however, was a consultant on the show and pleased with the series.

I think it was a wonderful homage to the graphic novel and remained thematically close to that masterpiece. It was sublime, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307April 13, 2021 8:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!