Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people still cook with those garbage cooking oils?

You see it often in restaurants and in food shows. It's those unhealthy oils such as soybean, palm, canola, corn, sunflower, peanut, and vegetable. This is why I'm not usually a fan of eating out or getting inspiration from food network shows. They are high in polyunsaturated fats which relate to aging and sensitivity to the sun.

by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2019 1:44 AM

I use olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 5:38 AM

I use whatever oil is appropriate for the dish I'm making. It doesn't mean I deep-fry three meals a day in a vat of lard (though it sounds good!😋) but cooking oils used judiciously are indispensable.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 5:50 AM

What kinda grease we supposed to be using, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 5:52 AM

R3 I use Olive Oil.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 5:55 AM

UH POLYUNSAT FATS ARE HEALTHY OP.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 5:58 AM

If you're going to fry, you'll need an oil that can withstand the heat, and olive oil isn't intended for high heat. In a nutshell, it all depends on what your purpose is for the oil.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 5:59 AM

I went to a class on "plant based" eating and found out they don't use olive oil. They suggest instead "sauteeing with water." My mind shut off before I could really wonder why. I did not go back for the remaining classes.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 6:00 AM

I use any that are good for grease fires.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 6:01 AM

Olive oil breaks down and is unhealthy at high heat.

I use coconut oil for stir fried vegetables. It adds a pleasant taste and can withstand high temperatures. I don’t fry dishes often.

My husband fries potatoes in the Ukrainian sunflower oil he grew up on, but it’s not something he cooks often.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 6:06 AM

[quote] Olive oil breaks down and is unhealthy at high heat. I use coconut oil for stir fried vegetables. It adds a pleasant taste and can withstand high temperatures. I don’t fry dishes often.

I hardly ever fry anything. I never deep fry. Olive oil is sufficient.

Doesn't coconut oil make everything smell like coconut? (I can't stand that smell.)

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 6:09 AM

OP is a loser who has absolutely ZERO Wessonality.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 6:13 AM

Olive oil is great for many things. Frying isn't one of them. It's pretty bad in that case.

So what are we supposed to use for frying?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 6:25 AM

R12 Airfryer?

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 6:32 AM

R12 Well for those into clean eating, they wouldn't suggest frying anything. But if you do need to fry stuff, choose coconut oil.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 6:35 AM

I’ve used avocado oil for years. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 6:48 AM

By the way, make sure the olive oil is extra virgin. Any other type strips nutrients and adds unnecessary chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 6:49 AM

Olive oil

Coconut oil

Sunflower oil (non-GMO)

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 6:55 AM

Lard.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 7:46 AM

It all depends. Usually I use safflower oil. I understand peanut is okay for high heat, too. When I sauté vegetables for soup, I often use a mix of that, butter and rendered chicken fat. I don’t use olive oil for anything hot.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 8:39 AM

WARNING - OP IS COMPLETELY IGNORANT ABOUT NUTRITION AND. COOKING.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 8:48 AM

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 8:48 AM

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 8:48 AM

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 8:48 AM

OP, a close friend of my family's is a chemist. He gave me some advice when I was very young and certain related controversies arose. He said when the human body consumes any "unsaturated" oil, the 1st thing it does during processing is saturate it. Therefore, I agree with R20.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 8:54 AM

Lard! Anyone who cooks with anything else is gay

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 2:07 PM

Extra virgin olive oil is ok for light sautéing, but so is butter! What quality of any of these oils and if they are used cold, or for cooking, and at what temperatures, are key. There are cold pressed delicious corn and sunflower oils, and walnut and sesame and avocado, etc etc etc. Obviously some budget industrial oil labeled merely "vegetable" isn't a preferred choice, but price points apply to many shoppers and restaurants, thus its existence. OP just strings together a selected and unspecific list of oils, as "bad", even though they have little relation to each other.

The top four oils sold in the USA are industrial and refined: canola, soybean, palm, and corn and all have problems because of the refinement and palm and corn for ecology as well. American customers need and like cheap industrial products.

Try telling Americans to purchase virgin organic corn oil. Try telling American farmers to grow it in great quantities. It could be produced in the American climate, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 2:21 PM

Olive oil becomes a carcinogen at high heat. If it starts smoking, you are practically eating poison. Never use it when grilling food or on recipes that take a prolonged period of time.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 2:35 PM

OP is an idiot. Peanut oil rules. High in saturated fats and great for crisping food golden.

Sunflower oil is very tasty, great in homemade mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2019 2:41 PM

What about organic canola oil? I thought the problem with canola oil is that it's a GMO product, but not if you get the organic one. I thought sunflower oil and peanut oil are healthy too.

What is the problem with these?

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2019 2:46 PM

ALL oils are terrible for your health.

The only reason we cling on to the idea of eating olive oil is because it's easier than following what really keeps the Mediterranean people healthy--eating lots of fruits and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Animal fat is very tasty. And peanut oil is good for deep-frying, although I rarely do that.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2019 2:51 PM

R29 nothing. Which is why OP is a trolling ignoramus. Peanut oil is for hot frying. Extremely high heat stir frying for example. Also good for searing meats before baking.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2019 2:53 PM

Chicken fat and bacon fat. Those are the tasty fats you want to keep in your refrigerator and use in your cooking.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2019 2:54 PM

R7 describes how dumb people can be in their "clean living" mania.

Sautee with water? How is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2019 2:57 PM

OP needs to run into his neighbor's turkey fryer next month.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2019 4:01 PM

It's true that the Standard American Diet which includes a reliance on industrially processed and hexane-cleaned oils is overrepresented by Omega-6 rich fatty acids. I believe people still cook with them for the following reasons:

- they're cheap and widely available

- they don't know how excessive levels of Omega-6 rich vegetable and seed oils contribute to the cumulative effects of inflammation

- the chefs on the cooking shows actually use avocado, walnut, coconut oils with more Omega-3 fatty acid content and limit the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 oils

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2019 4:29 PM

I saw this commercial for Mazola corn oil and they claim that's it heart healthier than extra virgin olive oil. How can that be or in this day is it okay to tell an out and out lie or is GMO corn oil actually healthier than EVOO?

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Here it is right from their website. I still don't believe it. My guess is Mazola paid for the tests to be done and got whatever outcome they wanted. And what about other oils, is corn oil healthier than canola oil, safflower, sunflower, peanut, grape seed and other oils?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote] ALL oils are terrible for your health.

That is not true at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2019 5:14 PM

[quote]ALL oils are terrible for your health.

Says who?

The longest living societies use plenty olive oil for everything. As well as butter and lard.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2019 5:21 PM

Is oil clean, vegan, cruelty free and fair trade? Ayurvedic diet safe? How is the spirit vibration?

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2019 5:24 PM

I cut out fattening foods so no sugary cooking oil for me! I stick to fat free oil.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2019 5:26 PM

What's wrong with motor oil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2019 5:28 PM

[quote]Olive oil becomes a carcinogen at high heat. If it starts smoking, you are practically eating poison. Never use it when grilling food or on recipes that take a prolonged period of time.

What about popping popcorn with it? My annoying sister refuses to use the air popper, insisting instead on popping corn with olive oil. It smells disgusting and coats my expensive Dutch oven with nasty aerosolized sticky oil that is a bitch to clean off.

She won't give a straight answer when I ask her why she doesn't just use the air popper. That olive oil popcorn looks and tastes disgusting and unhealthy, yet she screams Heaven down if my Dad's caregiver puts even a tiny bit of sea salt on the air popped popcorn she makes for him.🙄

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2019 6:14 PM

Flo had Wessonality and it didn't hurt her mug none!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2019 6:16 PM

Different oils have different flavor - olive oil has a very heavy taste.

Different oils have different burn points - some oils burn at lower temperatures than others.

Different oils have different price points - some oils are much more expensive than others.

OP - you're not really all that bright, are you.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2019 6:25 PM

Another vote for using safflower oil in high heat cooking.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2019 6:34 PM

I wouldn't cook popcorn in EVOO but perhaps refined olive oil. I suppose EVOO would do if one used a teflon pan, and medium heat, so the old and popcorn doesn't burn with the time it take everything to pop. I use peanut oil for popcorn and add mani umami with yeast or soy sauce.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Peanut oil rules and should not be on OP's list.

Coconut oil is toxic sludge and the taste ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2019 7:02 PM

I tried coconut oil, supposedly good organic virgin or extra virgin, I forget which, coconut oil. It made my home smell like burning rubber and left the food with the same horrible flavor as the smell.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2019 7:21 PM

Obviously I enjoy coconut oil taste for the appropriate dishes.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2019 7:26 PM

I use grape seed oil for high temperature cooking. I used to buy safflower oil for baking because it has very little flavor of it's own, but none of the stores where I live sells it anymore.

I've settled for buying sunflower oil at Trader Joe's.

I use high quality olive oil for making dressings.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2019 7:39 PM

It's called "smoke point". It the temperature at which an oil starts to burn and produce smoke.. Olive oil's is very low. Not suitable for frying, barely suitable for sauteeing.

50% of our needed vitamins are fat-soluble. Without fat/oil we are not getting our full complement of nutrition.

Sunflower, peanut, safflower, they all have their merits.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2019 7:49 PM

Why is coconut oil price is so high still? It was stated not long ago by researcher that coconut oil was never healthy.

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2019 5:11 AM

It's expensive because it's trendy, R54. It's a 3rd-world agricultural product and should be relatively inexpensive. I have noticed prices dropping some recently: Costco recently had a 3qt container of organic unrefined coconut oil for $9.99; and the local Winco sells a quart of refined oil for $5.49.

I tried avocado oil but it has a peculiar aroma that I don't like. It's fine for general purpose cooking in any case.

I love walnut oil but it is often rancid when I buy it. Same for grapeseed oil - almost always rancid or goes rancid quickly. I sometimes use sesame oil which I'm told has a favorable fatty acid profile, and I notice it doesn't spoil as easily as some other oils.

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2019 5:29 AM

Humans need some fat in their diets. Animal fats are mostly saturated and high in cholesterol, so should be consumed in moderation. Our ancestors ate many kinds of nuts, seeds, and grains, all of which have fats (oils) as part of their package of nutrients. Some fruits have fats as well. If you eat a handful of sunflower seeds, you are ingesting oil. If you eat a handful of peanuts, you are ingesting oil. If you eat some pumpkin seeds, you are ingesting oil. If you eat a couple of olives, you are ingesting oil. In regarding refining oil, obviously the kinds that are produced by cold-pressing are the safest. It's cheaper to use chemicals to strip out the oils, but there are obviously legitimate concerns about what that process is doing to the oils and what by-products remain in the oil. I saute a lot with olive oil, but I only heat it for a short while (maybe 1 minute) before I add vegetables and meat, and then I add broth to bring the temperature down after I have briefly stirred the vegetables to coat them in hot oil. You are not really changing the nutritional character of the oil until you have heated it to smoking point or beyond, so smoking point is a crucial thing. Avocado oil and peanut oil have high smoking point temperatures, so that's what I'd use if I were cooking something in really hot oil - but I rarely do. And I don't deep fry anything.

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2019 5:53 AM

[Quote] but I only heat it for a short while (maybe 1 minute) before I add vegetables and meat, and then I add broth to bring the temperature down after I have briefly stirred the vegetables to coat them in hot oil.

I've noticed some prefer to use broth instead of oil when cooking.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2019 8:33 AM

To obtain that coconut oil, don't they clear the rain forests to grow it?

As for not eating oils, we are all gonna die anyway. I use what I enjoy and I am healthy and well fed. You are free to do as you wish.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2019 8:43 AM

you need canola for brain development.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2019 2:32 PM

OK, you bitches need to explain about EVOO, because every single article out there is stating frying does not change EVOO's chemical composition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 23, 2019 3:55 AM

"Organic" has NEVER meant "pesticide-free"! Organic foods are NOT healthier for you or the soil, and since farmers get less produce per acre, they cut down even more trees to grow the same amount.

Organic is a ruse for white women who are of course easily fooled and have their bizarre and myriad food issues. Conventionally grown produce is cheaper and better for the soil and water run off. Only rubes are fooled by the organic LOBBYISTS.

by Anonymousreply 61October 23, 2019 4:11 AM

pork lard or rice bran oil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2019 4:14 AM

I cook with olive oil! Are you saying u shouldn’t? I don’t deep fry, just use it, for example, to heat onions.

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2019 4:17 AM

There are a lot of studies on extra virgin olive oil and health issues. Here's an explanation of one of them originally posted in "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."

[quote] Putting olive oil on your veggies may bring health benefits that aren't found when the oil is drizzled on other foods, new research in mice suggests.

[quote] (Extra Virgin) Olive oil's unsaturated fat reacts with certain compounds in vegetables to form a third compound that can reduce blood pressure, the researchers found.

[quote] The findings may explain why the Mediterranean diet, which is high in both olive oil and vegetables, appears to lower blood pressure and prevent heart disease, the researchers said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote] Usually I use safflower oil

That actually what Vitamin E is. When you buy Vitamin E capsules, it's just safflower oil

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2019 4:21 AM

I use my humongous bottle of Kirkland (Costco) olive oil for everything. I might even make carrot cake with the olive oil. I wonder how it will taste.

by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2019 4:22 AM

I just googled cooking with olive oil, and it turns out it’s highly recommended. Who are all the dodos (could have been just one making all the comments) who scared the living crap out our everyone who cooks with olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 67October 23, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote] you need canola for brain development

That's such bullshit. I'm 55 yrs old and never heard of or saw Canola Oil in grocery stores until 1996 or even later. And obviously everyone born before 1996 had developed brains

Canola oil is bad for you

by Anonymousreply 68October 23, 2019 4:24 AM

Olive, avocado, coconut for South Asian and Indian, sesame for Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 69October 23, 2019 4:25 AM

I normally use either olive oil or butter. I don't consume a lot of fried stuff. When I fry eggs or fish, I've used either butter or olive oil, but I cook those things at a really low heat. And, I have a block of lard in the fridge for if/when I deep fry something (almost never).

by Anonymousreply 70October 23, 2019 4:26 AM

Other than olive oil, grapeseed oil is about as good as it gets in terms of oils that are healthy,

by Anonymousreply 71October 23, 2019 4:28 AM

[quote] I'm 55 yrs old and never heard of or saw Canola Oil in grocery stores until 1996 or even later.

Canola Oil entered the market in the 1970s. It is just a type of rapeseed oil. But, of course no one wants to use that word anymore.

I don't really care, if I'm going to fry food, I'm not going to worry about it being healthy. Call me Loretta, because I fry with Crisco.

by Anonymousreply 72October 23, 2019 4:33 AM

What's the best lube?

by Anonymousreply 73October 23, 2019 4:40 AM

You can't live to 163. Your body gets old, you die.

Just live. Enjoy every single day as if it is it's own free-standing event. A gift. Eat, celebrate, love.

And yes: stop and smell the roses.

by Anonymousreply 74October 23, 2019 5:27 AM

Here's how I fry scrambled eggs: I put about a 1/4 in. of water in an iron pan, add a tsp of margarin. Mix eggs in a bowl a pour into pan. After a couple minutes start scrambing, stirring often. When water is almost gone add salt and pepper. Serve.

by Anonymousreply 75October 23, 2019 5:35 AM

My Moms insists on continuing to use her Hex-ane washed Rapeseed & mixed Olive oils, but whenever I'm over her place making food I'll usually just swap it out for a little butter and she's none the wiser. You do what you can, but people cling to their seed toxins like it's an Amendment right..

by Anonymousreply 76October 23, 2019 10:41 AM

r75 I do this, but I use chicken broth and butter instead of water and marg. Adds a nice savory note to the eggs.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2019 12:38 AM

Whatever they fry KFC in (canola oil?) almost sent me to the ER with gall bladder shit. My doctor said that oil was the worst. Never ate there again.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2019 12:49 AM

R78 According to wikipedia "The frying oil varies regionally, and versions used include sunflower, soybean, rapeseed and palm oil."

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2019 12:59 AM

I was told that I should use peanut oil for stir frying because it takes a higher heat.

When I fry chicken I use lard in a frying pan and then transfer the pieces to a casserole for baking in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2019 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!