Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Your Lifestyle Mentality: Minimalist or Maximalist? Why?

As I have gotten older, I realize I appreciate the minimalistic lifestyle. I’m done with trying to collect a bunch of crap. I realize I can live my life with a lot less and still be very happy.

At this point in my life I am content with a great support network, wonderful husband, and living mostly debt free, in terms of useless credit cards. If I do not have the money, then I do not need the item.

I love living in a tent. (Joking, gotcha).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2020 12:19 PM

You are going to piss off a lot of old Queens OP who spent their life "antiquing".

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 5:42 AM

R1 oh shit! Ok, well maybe Muriel can just delete this thread ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 5:44 AM

We tried to be Green, but it's just not humanly possible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 5:49 AM

Just a few family things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 5:51 AM

[quote]oh shit! Ok, well maybe Muriel can just delete this thread ASAP.

Why? That antique collection fetish needs to go. It's almost 2020 not 1975.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 5:53 AM

R5 I love you.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 6:03 AM

I had to move a long distance and needed to reduce my personal belongings to the absolute minimum. It wasn't easy. Also uploaded all my media to either the cloud or on two 1TB hard drives. Now I have just the necessities and feel great. Easy to find what I need is the primary benefit. Before it felt like a weight was on me. Now I enjoy walking in the door and appreciate the openness of the space.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 6:29 AM

R7 that is how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 10:41 PM

I err on the side of maximalist by nature, but more maximalist-lite. I've been drawn to old things since I was a kid—furniture, pictures, other oddities. I do keep it in check though, and have learned not to cling to things so much as I've gotten older. I am extremely picky about the items I'll put in my living space, and ensure that it never ends up looking like a crazy grandma's house—no tchotchkes lining the walls or anything.

When I see these "#minimalistlifestyle!!!" social media whores sharing images of their living spaces, it always looks so clinical and cold to me—like Patrick Bateman's apartment. It creeps me out. That to me is just as pathological as someone who hoards trinkets and junk, just the opposite end of the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 10:49 PM

Why are those the only choices?

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 10:50 PM

R10 create a definition

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2019 6:48 AM

simple is best

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2019 6:58 AM

For you, R11:

Mediumism (n.) - A design sensibility in which a balance is achieved between the simplicity of a moderate amount of clean, open space and the beauty of a moderate number of unique objects grouped harmoniously.

Sample sentence:

“In the home of the practitioner of Mediumism, all seems to breathe peace and freedom and make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.”

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2019 2:31 PM

My one weakness is art. I have 2 closets filled with framed paintings and photography that I rotate in my house and apartment. Some of it is valuable - but probably 50% is more decorative. But as I move very 5 years or so, it’s useful for redecorating. For furniture, if it doesn’t fit into the new house, I seek it on eBay/letgo and but new from the eBay/letgo or cheaper new prices at wayfair/overstock.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2019 2:37 PM

^sell it

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2019 2:38 PM

We've learned to accept a minimalist lifestyle.

Actually, we call it VERY minimalist.

We're still waiting for Architectural Digest to do a cover story on our lifestyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2019 2:58 PM

R16 wow now that’s living very minimally

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2019 7:12 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2020 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!