Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "Clueless" reboot will be Cher-less.

As if!

The 1995 classic teen comedy, Clueless, is being rebooted into a new potential television series, ET can confirm, but it won't revolve around Cher Horowitz. This time, the project will be a mystery drama centered on Cher's best friend, Dionne, who was played by Stacey Dash in the film and the follow-up TV series.

As Deadline first reported, the new Clueless project, set in high school in the present day, is being described as "Mean Girls meets Riverdale meets a Lizzo music video."

A baby pink and bisexual blue-tinted, tiny sunglasses-wearing, oat milk latte and Adderall-fueled look at what happens when the high school Queen Bee, Cher, disappears and her lifelong No. 2, Dionne, steps into Cher’s vacant Air Jordans. How does Dionne deal with the pressures of being the new most popular girl in school, while also unraveling the mystery of what happened to her best friend, all in a setting that is uniquely 2020 L.A.?

No network or streaming service is currently attached, but the project is out to multiple bidders.

The project, from executive producer Corinne Brinkerhoff, Tiffany Grant and original film producer Robert Lawrence, is being produced by CBS TV Studios. Will & Grace writers Jordan Reddout and Gus Hickey are penning the script.

The 1995 film, Clueless, was written and directed by Amy Heckerling, which starred Alicia Silverstone as Cher, Dash as Dionne, the late Brittany Murphy as Tai, Paul Rudd as Josh, Elisa Donovan as Amber, Wallace Shawn as Dr. Hall, Donald Faison as Murray, Breckin Meyer as Travis and Jeremy Sisto as Elton.

The movie made $56 million at the box office and spawned several adaptations, including a 2018 short-lived Broadway musical, Clueless: The Musical, that starred Dove Cameron in the lead role.

Clueless is a modernized take on Jane Austen's classic novel, Emma. The film told the story of several Beverly Hills, California, teens navigating dating and friendship amid Los Angeles’ super-rich. Our hero, Cher, persuades two single teachers at Bronson Alcott High to date, convinced she has a knack for playing matchmaker. However, she is forced to reassess her values when her makeover of Tai, a lovably aloof student, results in the new girl becoming more popular than her.

The Clueless sitcom that followed the film ran for three seasons on ABC and UPN from 1996 to 1999, and returned Dash, Faison and Donovan to the main cast. Rachel Blanchard replaced Silverstone as Cher. The series followed Cher and her friends as they navigated the ups and downs of high school life amid struggles with relationships, school and social status.

In 2018, Paramount Pictures announced that a big-screen Clueless remake is in development with Girls Trip writer Tracey Oliver producing and GLOW's Marquita Robinson writing the screenplay.

“I have nothing to do with it,” Silverstone told ET in 2018 following news of a possible redo. “Who knows what’s happening. I mean, I heard about it in the news.”

Silverstone and her Clueless castmates -- Rudd, Faison and Meyer -- reunited in March at a fan expo in Chicago, Illinois, where they celebrated the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2019 11:21 AM

Black, black, black. Getting kind of boring, Hollywood with all the pandering.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 3:27 AM

Call me, I can still play 16.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 3:32 AM

Me, too!

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 3:35 AM

R1 Dionne was in the movie. And there were other black people in the movie too, Dumbass racist.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 3:37 AM

[quote]Call me, I can still play 16.

Well, your nose can. Just.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 3:40 AM

A baby pink and bisexual blue-tinted, tiny sunglasses-wearing, oat milk latte and Adderall-fueled look at what happens when the high school Queen Bee, Cher, disappears and her lifelong No. 2, Dionne, steps into Cher’s vacant Air Jordans. How does Dionne deal with the pressures of being the new most popular girl in school, while also unraveling the mystery of what happened to her best friend, all in a setting that is uniquely 2020 L.A.?

The person who wrote that copy needs to have his/her fingers broken.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 3:46 AM

Jaden Smith as Dionne!

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 3:48 AM

Jaden Smith as Dionne! !

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 3:54 AM

Thank you, strangers! *wink wink*.

I'm up for it!

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 3:57 AM

I do not know whether it ought to be so, but certainly silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way. Wickedness is always wickedness, but folly is not always folly.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 4:08 AM

How dare they. I refuse to watch one single frame of this without Cher or her thigh high stockings.

Just kidding. I’ll watch a few an see if I like it. I love Clueless. One of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 4:16 AM

I hope Alicia Silverstone does a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 4:33 AM

“Jaden Smith as Dionne! !”

He’s a disco-dancin’, Oscar Wilde readin’, Streisand ticket holdin’ friend of Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 4:38 AM

I actually think it's sort of a cool idea. I will also admit Clueless is one of my favorite movies (I was 13 when it was released - represents my childhood).

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 4:44 AM

Won't somebody, please, think of Tai?

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 11:17 AM

So really Pretty Little Liars with the queen bee disappearing and everyone in search of her.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 11:27 AM

I always thought Jane Austen's novels needed restructuring by Hollywood. She had no idea who a good character was, that broad.

Clueless is one of the best Austen adaptations ever. True to the spirit and meaning of Emma in every way. This idea has already completely missed the point of the movie. And of course all the woke people will call all the people who hate it racist.

Whereas, let's say we took a James Baldwin novel, gave the main character a white best friend and then dumped the main character for the spinoff: THAT wouldn't be racist at all.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 11:42 AM

Should do about as well as that Heathers remake with fat trannies and ugly queers in charge.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 11:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 11:48 AM

They're virgins who can't drive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 12:11 PM

No Cher, no deal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 1:13 PM

"Mean Girls meets Riverdale meets a Lizzo music video."

Of course Hollywood would exploit the audience's affection for "Clueless" by using its name only to try to sell more mindless garbage to tweens.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 1:30 PM

^ That!

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 5:57 PM

It will be lauded for its wokeness, like that TV Heathers reboot and the 10 Things reboot, but just like those ones it won't be watched and people who are fans of Clueless will pretend it doesn’t exist.

Stop repackaging intelligent 90’s teen material for today’s teens, they aren’t smart enough for it. This generation doesn’t have the wit, snark, and cynicalness that the 90’s teens did.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 8:41 PM

This will be embraced as close to people’s hearts as Heathers the TV series!

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 8:50 PM

Was Clueless the only tv show to get most of the same cast from the movie?? Even Brittany guest starred as a different character for an episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2019 12:53 AM

Since Cher has disappeared with a trace, all her friends are left clueless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2019 11:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!