Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are You Interested In Being In A Romantic Relationship?

I am not.

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2019 7:45 PM

Ditto

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 11:28 PM

Nope. I was in one for 20 years. I’m happy being single

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 11:30 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 11:46 PM

No. It's just so tiresome and tawdry.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 11:52 PM

Romance is for women and pussy-whipped men.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 11:53 PM

yes, very much so.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 11:54 PM

Such a thing does not exist. It's an illusion used as a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Thanks, I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Romance isn’t worth the complications that come with it. That’s not to say it shouldn’t be experienced at least once.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 12:08 AM

Hell no. Im 58 , had 2 husbands die on me,the last one in 2011,and I dont ever want to go through something like that again. Id love some steady dick though.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 12:27 AM

Never say never. I’m not really looking for it. But if you’re playing in the NHL and you’re reading this please look me up.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2019 12:41 AM

French kissing the pillows is no fun after 40

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 12:47 AM

I am , I spotted this handsome man at Aldi on .Monday. I was checking him out in frozen foods. We ended up both replacing our carts at the same time . He pretended not to know how to get his quarter back so I showed him. He drove by my car which was unnecessary because he was parked 3 rows away. Perhaps the interest is mutual??? Maybe I will see him again .

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 12:51 AM

R13 next time wear a plunging neckline, fuck-me pumps and Daisy Dukes

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 1:20 AM

Yes, but don't make my mistake of falling in love with a bisexual. Nothing but heartache.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 1:32 AM

R6 Dear God, Why?!

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 1:34 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 1:35 AM

oh, don't worry r15, any gay worth his salt knows that bisexuals are verboten.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 1:35 AM

Sometimes

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 1:37 AM

because, R16, i am lonely. and i need to love someone and be loved. i know it won't happen, don't you worry

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 1:39 AM

I want someone to love me for who I am on the inside. My relationships have been awful. I'm a people pleasure and sexually adventurous so a lot of guys have used me for sex and I feel like they've never attempted to really get to know me. I know it sounds ridiculous but my purest connections have been with fuckbuddies some of who have been married and or closeted. We were actual friends and I never felt like there was any manipulation. I can't stand being lied to.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 1:44 AM

I went out with a guy who was in good shape, but not incredible, and not even that different than me. But he would make passive-aggressive comments about what I would eat or drink, or about what shape I was in, or if I was going to the gym. Or how the enjoyment of something rested on my shoulders if it was my idea.

I didn't like feeling self-conscious when I just wanted to go out and have a good time. I realized that I prefer to be with a friend or someone who shared my sense of humor, rather than being in a dating situation.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 1:51 AM

I would say so, yes.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 11:30 AM

"Romantic relationship" is a Hallmark/Mills Boon construct.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 11:39 AM

r14 the phrase is “come-fuck-me-red pumps”

secondly: relationships were always better in my head. i try to keep them there.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 11:44 AM

You'll have to go back a bit further. The romantic era of the early 19th century shaped the modern concept of love/courtship.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 11:46 AM

^^ For R24.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 11:47 AM

R27 I went with contemporary LCD. I didn't want to force them to Google by mentioning Dumas fils, Shelley or Chateaubriand.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 11:55 AM

Try reading some of the threads on books if you really think that DLers aren't literate, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 11:58 AM

R29 I do, as well as contribute to them. But I believe they are the minority.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 12:01 PM

I gave up on that when I discovered Connor Jessup preferred Asians. I should be in Mile Heizer's place now.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2019 3:28 AM

Fantasy relationships are way better than all the baggage, stress and heartache of the real thing. That, and my standards are too high for what I could realistically get. So, no, not really.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2019 3:33 AM

Heterosexual courtship rituals are predictable, outdated, attention-seeking and cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2019 3:38 AM

Sometimes I think yes and then I look around at howiserable most partnered people are and would rather be single.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2019 3:38 AM

R33, you forgot "expensive" and humiliating...

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2019 3:41 AM

"I want someone to love me for who I am on the inside."

Ugh, I'm never dating a fister again.

I just don't have the stomach for it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2019 4:04 AM

[quote] I went with contemporary LCD. I didn't want to force them to Google by mentioning Dumas fils, Shelley or Chateaubriand.

R28, in your zeal to save me from having to look up famous authors (which would have been fun), you drove me to Google with"LCD". After wading through numerous entries about "liquid crystal displays", I finally hit upon "least common denomination" and decided that you probably meant "lowest common denominator", which is something that I've heard of and which makes sense in context.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2019 4:33 AM

Always - and I'm in one again at last. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2019 4:48 AM

r10 must be some bottom to have two husbands die on him......

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2019 5:04 AM

We are going on 21 years, and they said I was just going through a gay phase. Fuck you haters!

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2019 5:11 AM

It's all downhill after the first kiss.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2019 1:34 PM

Romance is based on fantasy. Which is fine as long as it doesn’t lead to delusions that are setting you up for bankruptcy or long term harm. Harry and Megs are a perfect example - wrapped up in the idea of a great romance when hard cold reality is what is necessary for long term success.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2019 3:57 PM

I'm going to settle with someone much older than me when my whore days are through. We can just be domestic and boring. Until then I like being independent.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2019 1:22 AM

Yes, always.

First husband of 25 years died suddenly. Floated around aimless until I met my current husband and last. I’m a hopeless romantic. 3rd year and we’re settling in nicely.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2019 1:28 AM

No, I was in one. The last thing I want is to walk into my home after work and deal with all that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 1:37 AM

Yes, it would lighten my spirits. Even if it leads to heartbreak later on.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2019 1:39 AM

R46, that's how I feel every time a pet dies -- I always swear that I'll never put myself through that kind of pain again, but I eventually take a deep breath and decide that it is worthwhile after all. I don't feel that way about relationships with humans, but animals definitely are worth the risks and I suppose the feelings are the same for those of you who love humans.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2019 2:06 AM

Ditto, R2.

I was in a relationship for 20+ years, and was miserable for most of them. Unfortunately, I could not explain my unhappiness. Fortunately, I found a wonderful therapist who helped me work through my issues and dump the mother fucker already.

I've been single longer than I was in a relationship, and could not be happier.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2019 2:24 AM

Like many DLers, I'm vicariously interested in romantic relationships as a topic. I haven't the drive to enter into one myself - all that work!

I think perhaps I'm put off because my parents stayed in a stagnant, boring, repressed marriage all their lives since they were 25 and sacrificed a normal social life plus their personal ambitions to do so. It never seemed worth it to me, watching them go through the motions of a domestic conjugal life with no colour. I've been lonely, depressed, driftless and bored at times in my lonesome life and occasionally plagued by the "who will come to my funeral?" question, but then I always remind myself that I do not have to be trapped by my Ego, circumstances can easily change in this random world of ours and that at least these states I find myself in do not perpetuate thanks to a legal contract & joint bank account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2019 11:09 AM

I feel as if it's the only thing left I actually want out of life. I would be very pleased to have the opportunity to enjoy the intimacy of caring about someone else as much as you do yourself.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2019 11:15 AM

Sure, a romantic relationship is great at first, but for me, I get bored after a few months. I was partnered for 11 years but looking back we should have called it off after year three. Maybe if I found the right guy?

My dad, after my mom died, connected with a woman who was his gf in grade school. They were married for 27 years and holding hands until he died. You could tell that they were in love all throughout their marriage. So, I know it can be done.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2019 11:21 AM

R51, that happened to my grandfather, except that they were old when they married after their first spouses died, so they only had 8 years together. But those were blissful and he was finally happy for the first time in his long life. Too bad these things have to wait so long to happen, but maybe they're more appreciated as a result.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2019 1:16 PM

Yes if I didn't have to live with him and it happened organically. Being single really is the greatest as long as you have friends and family to do things with when you want to.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2019 1:27 PM

R52, I’ve read of a lot of cases of high school sweethearts who meet again in later life and hit it off immediately. I wonder if that’s because after you retire, your standards are lower because you’ve lived through other relationships and you know the ups and downs and are more realistic. The high school sweethearts I know that married in high school all had ugly divorces with lots of cheating. And they all had kids very young and were lousy fathers.

I’m in my fifties, and a lot of the men I meet are looking to be supported financially. They’re not looking for a romantic partner, they’re looking for a wallet. Ugh no. And they lie about everything, including stuff they have no reason to lie about. I don’t need a sociopath living in my house with me, or cluttering up my life.

I met one recently that went from, I own a home, I’m single, no kids, to the truth, which is, I rent a furnished room, I’m separated, but married, and never see my kid (presumably not paying child support either). And I’m pretty sure he’s unemployed. How on earth this guy is supporting himself I have no idea.

Why? If you’re ashamed of your lifestyle, then fix it.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2019 1:34 PM

I love a romantic relationship, but I also like my space. I've had five serious romantic relationships. Two of them ended in messy breakups after about two years. When I say messy, I mean names were called, accusations were made, and voices were raised. Fortunately, the police did not have to intervene.

Of the other three, one partner died of cancer. (That was an excellent relationship, with mutual love and respect.) Another relationship ended when my boyfriend was killed in a motorcycle accident. It was a short but sweet relationship, and he did one of the loveliest, most thoughtful things for me, but that's another story entirely.

Finally, my current relationship, which has been going on for five years, is another excellent one. We live together and he is 9 years younger than I am. We give each other room to breathe. We have mutual interests, and we complement each other. We love animals, reading, hiking, movies, and we can make one another laugh. If this relationship doesn't last, then I'll become a monk or something.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2019 2:13 PM

I think romantic relationships started later in life are better. My parents married at 18 and had a hellish marriage. They both met new partners in their late forties and are happier than I've ever seen them.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2019 5:30 AM

How do people have the time & energy for this, seriously? Between taking care of my dog, cleaning up after my parents and going to my shitty job I barely have time left to defend for friends & creative pursuits. I already feel like I'm not alone or free or relaxed enough, with responsibilities and 'musts'. Keeping a lover on top of that? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2019 10:22 AM

You all are a bunch of cynical sad-sacks. It's a couples world. Life is more interesting with a partner. You get a yin with your yang. I've been in a relationship for 25 years. Overall, it's made life more fulfilling.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2019 4:12 PM

Zzzzzzzz ^

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2019 4:35 PM

R58: YES!

by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2019 4:37 PM

Would it have killed you to have at at least posted a picture or link OP? I mean would that have been so hard? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post?

by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote] when my boyfriend was killed in a motorcycle accident. It was a short but

I read “it was a short bus“ 🤣. I thought he was run over by a bunch of disabled kids.

by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2019 9:16 PM

No, but I still got into one thinking it might change my mind. It didn't. And now I don't have the guts to call it off.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2019 9:36 PM

Worse than that, actually. He was hit on a curve by a truck that was being driven on the wrong side of the road. The driver slammed on the brakes but the impact was still deadly. He never regained consciousness. He was put on life support and remained that way for about a week. By that time it became obvious that he was brain dead and there would be no recovery. His mother gave permission to pull the plug.

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2019 9:37 PM

Oh shit, I'm sorry R64

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2019 9:41 PM

I can be romantic, but people are such tedious pains in the ass, I was done at age 40. One of the things that makes me want to be romantic again is good music, jazz, a sexy saxophone. But most people don't get that kind of music and reject it instantly as something "my parents would listen to."

This is sublime, pay no attention to the title:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2019 9:58 PM

I was, but I’m thoroughly jaded. I’m going to go be straight.

by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2019 10:00 PM

Thanks r 65. That happened almost 10 years ago, and I don't think I've actually been able to wrap my mind around the whole thing even now. He was only 28 years old, and absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. He was funny, brilliant, sensitive and kind. There was nothing he could not do with a computer, and that was his field of work.

Here is the type of man he was: It was winter, and our area was in the midst of a snowstorm. My very elderly cat named Spider, almost 20 years old, decided that this would be a good night to die. I placed him in a box with blankets, sat beside him and cried. The phone rang, and it was Mark. I told him what was happening and it must have been obvious that I had been crying. He told me that he would come over right away. I told him not to even try. The roads were filling up with snow. He told me that he would get here. My house would be at most a ten minute drive from his place, more likely five minutes, but there was no way that he could get any vehicle to my place that night. Perhaps an hour later, the doorbell rang. It was Mark, covered in snow. He had walked. He told me that he didn't want me to be alone.

by Anonymousreply 68October 25, 2019 10:03 PM

He seems like an amazing man, R68. Glad you got to know him.

by Anonymousreply 69October 25, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote][R13] next time wear a plunging neckline, fuck-me pumps and Daisy Dukes

Why, r14, do they go to the same church too?

by Anonymousreply 70October 25, 2019 11:34 PM

I'm wealthy. I can buy romance.

by Anonymousreply 71October 25, 2019 11:41 PM

R68 that you for sharing that story.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2019 12:04 AM

R57, you poor thing! I feel for you. Hope you can find more time for yourself

by Anonymousreply 73October 26, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote]but there was no way that he could get any vehicle to my place that night. Perhaps an hour later, the doorbell rang.

Incredible. I had no idea the baths had snow days too.

by Anonymousreply 74October 27, 2019 4:13 PM

Jesus, this is one of the saddest threads I’ve ever seen on the DL. Gay men really do have a screwed up view of love.

by Anonymousreply 75October 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Yes, but I don't want to settle down with someone with serious personality disorders as both my sisters did.

by Anonymousreply 76October 27, 2019 4:30 PM

God no. I'm too old and it takes too much energy and too much pretending.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2019 4:31 PM

Of course. When I love someone, it all comes naturally because I'm thinking about them all the time.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2019 5:44 PM

R75 what's the heterosexual marriage divorce rate again?

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2019 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!