Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My first Migrane

Tonight I got a migraine and found out what a true headache is. The pain was unbearable I could not even concentrate. I was nauseous and threw up. I took two Alieve and then found out we had migraine Tylenol and took two of them. I had to laydown in pitch black and not move. It took hours to get over with. What do you guys do (those who have migraines?)

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 3:34 AM

Usual put an ice pack on my head, puke and then feel better

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 1:52 AM

OP make a log of what you ate/drank before it hit and write down the date. If they continue your dr will need this info to try to get to what's triggering them.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 1:55 AM

See a neurologist. My partner takes Inderal (propanolol) twice a day as a preventative measure, and if a migraine occurs takes Imitrex (sumatriptan) as needed.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 1:59 AM

I managed to get through my whole life never having one, how do people who get them regularly function?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 2:06 AM

[quote]What do you guys do (those who have migraines?

Not take Aleve or Tylenol! They don't do shit for a real gangster headache. Always have Excedrin ready.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 2:07 AM

People who say "lay" instead of "lie" deserve the rupturing brain aneurysm they mistake for a migraine.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 2:07 AM

Apply peppermint oil to the base of the skull. Yes, it's effective, or else I wouldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 2:08 AM

I'd rather have a migraine than a pain in the ass like r6.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 2:11 AM

You probably had a stroke or aneurysm

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 2:12 AM

r9 I wish -it was painful. At least an aneurysm would have ended it .

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 7:41 PM

You need to see your doctor to be sure there's nothing else going on.

I have ocular migraine so I have some visual symptoms before the pain kicks in, that gives me a little bit of time to organize stuff and tell people I won't be functional for a while. Depending on where I am I try to isolate myself in the darkest most silent place I can find. Ice packs are good.

If you have medicine on you (ibuprofen works better than tylenol) you need to take them as soon as you realize you have a migraine because the more you wait the less effective they become.

Also you need to know what triggers them and avoid that as much as possible. For me it is usually sleep deprivation, alcohol, or too much sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 8:16 PM

I have a prescription for zolmitriptan 2.5 mg. The drug is commercially referred to as Zomig. Before Zomig became available, no over the counter drugs would even make a small difference. My headaches would start at 3 in the morning every damned time, and would end at 9 PM. Meanwhile I would be puking every 15 minutes like clockwork. The pain was unbearable. According to anyone who happened to be present, I looked like a zombie. The day before the headache, I would get a weird aura. A jagged black shape would start in the center of my vision and it would slowly grow until I only had peripheral vision. After that passed I would feel euphoric, as if I was experiencing a massive adrenaline rush. Zomig saved my sanity.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 8:33 PM

R3's partner has erectile dysfunction from propranolol. No wonder their relationship is in shambles and r3 is cheating with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 8:45 PM

Imitrex and 31 shots of both every three months, starting at the temples and going all the way into the base of my skull and trapezius muscles. They help tremendously. There's a new preventive on the market called Aimovig that really works for some people. What I'm doing now is effective, so I don't want to rock the boat and jump to it just yet.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 8:48 PM

'Ocular migraine' is a misnomer. It's either a retinal migraine (monocular) or a migraine aura (binocular, hemispheric).

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 8:48 PM

I feel so bad for you, OP, I'm not going to "Oh, Dear" you.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 8:50 PM

What do I do? I take codeine-based painkillers, get addicted to them, have to take them every day or else I get stress headaches.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 8:57 PM

Migraines should never be treated with narcotics. Except by lazy doctors.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 9:00 PM

No, and no chance, R13.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 9:24 PM

I was traveling and I can never sleep when I travel. I was up every hour then got the migrane the next day.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 3:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!