Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coppola or Scorsese?

Who do you consider to be the better filmmaker?

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2019 7:09 AM

Of all their movies, "Apocalypse Now" is my favorite, so FFC.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 1:37 AM

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are masterpieces of popular entertainment. Taxi Driver is raw, visceral, and devastating.

It’s a draw.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 1:44 AM

Sofia Coppola.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 2:04 AM

Neither

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 3:01 AM

Oof. Well, FFC arguable masterpieces: the Godfather, the Godfather II, the Conversation and Apocalypse Now.

Scorsese: Goodfellas and Raging Bull. Scorsese is unmatched in music editing.

When it comes to musicals, I'd rather watch New York, New York than Finian's Rainbow.

FFC has greater artistry. Scorsese has better technical skills and might have more perfect moments. And Scorsese has produced some great works directed by other people.

I'd say it's a wash.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 3:47 AM

Coppola hasn’t made a great film in many years, but “The Irishman” is a masterpiece, so I hear. I’m going with Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 3:56 AM

The two Godfather movies are better than any of Scorsese's films. However, Scorsese's filmography is better overall.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 6:02 AM

R7 said it best, R5's are also astute. Well except for the more perfect moments comment.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 6:11 AM

Coppola, by far

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 6:18 AM

Both are legends and rightly so, but... I mean.... Apocalypse Now is an absolute masterpiece and one of my favourite films. Sorry, Marty.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 6:19 AM

Martin is a great film master

The Godfather films are machismo shit

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 6:19 AM

I love films by both but “The Conversation” is one of my all time favorite films and I don’t think that anybody could duplicate what Coppola did with “Apocalypse Now”....

Ugh, but then I love Marty as a film historian and “Mean Streets” is one of my favorite movies—with his “King of Comedy” and “Taxi Driver” also being masterpieces in completely different ways...

It’s too tough of a choice, OP! I’m going with “it’s a draw”, like R5 basically says.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 6:31 AM

I do want to see the new cut of Cotton Club

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 7:22 AM

Tyler Perry is better than both of them put together! Pull up any of his movies on IMDB and see how high they're rated!

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 7:25 AM

They both have clunkers, as well as masterworks, but I lean toward Coppola.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 7:41 AM

I agree with R5 and R7. Coppola's best film is probably better than Scorsese's, but Scorsese's successfully managed to adapt to cinematic progress and make stronger films for a longer period of time, which could arguably be the more impressive feat.

Ultimately, we're lucky to have both.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 8:00 AM

I hope "The Irishman" is better than "The Departed".

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2019 3:13 AM

Scorsese is [italic] much[/italic] more consistent.

Coppola's filmography is basically a mess, with a string of masterpieces in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2019 3:20 AM

Both are boring hacks to me. The only film I’ve seen from Scorsese that I’ve liked was The King Of Comedy. Coppola’s always bored me, I can’t think of a single one of his films that I like.

Gangster movies aren’t really my jam, and Scorsese and Coppola have been making the same mob movies over and over and over again for decades.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2019 3:49 AM

Coppola made The Godfather movies, R19, but is known for a diverse array of films, not just “gangster movies”....

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2019 4:24 AM

You can’t beat something like “ the conversation”. It’s both a great movie watch that comprehends most European and American film up to that time,i it anticipates more “sophisticated” films like “Taxi Driver” and most of Brian dePalma’’s catalog. How can these two directors possibly be conflated except for the fact Scorcese had a couple of earlier works now viewable on netflix.... coppola’s attention to art, cinema and form obviously makes him the daddy. Scorcese was cranking out footage, but like Sayles and others who came after, they never capture the original Hollywood studio glow that attracts the masses to cinema in the first place. The only one I notice nowadays is David O. Russell, I think thats the name. I’m old, but nought chump. Scorcese’s best stuff’s in rock docs. He seems to know a lot about placing mikes and cameras.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2019 7:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!