Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Mary Tyler Moore" reference that eludes me

Yes, I am talking about a 45-year-old episode.

Does anybody remember the episode when Mary is dating the college guy and she and Rhoda go to this very 70s boutique with the name "Shot Down Over Ecuador, Jr.?"

Was there a store at the time that had a similarly bizarre name that the audience would have been able to catch and appreciate?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 10:03 PM

It’s just supposed to sound pretentious and highlights Mary’s attempts to pretend to be younger than she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2019 5:45 PM

Toulouse-Lautrec Is one of my favorite artists!

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2019 5:55 PM

The man that Mary was dating was much younger than Mary. He and his roommates were throwing a party. Mary was shopping (with Rhoda) for something to wear at the party. As R1 stated, the name of the store was supposed to sound pretentious. The sales person (female) was also rude and unhelpful, highlighting that Mary was trying to be something she wasn't (younger and more hip).

The name of the store was just a made-up name (by the writers), I think.

Peter Strauss (Rich Man, Poor Man) played Stephen Linder, the younger man Mary was dating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2019 5:58 PM

Mary Richards dated a whole lotta fuggos. Peter Strauss was actually the best looking guy she ever dated.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!