Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Senator Elijah Cummings dead

RIP Senator Cummings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 1, 2019 12:27 PM

Thoughts and prayers

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2019 9:09 AM

Killed.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2019 9:10 AM

He will be sorely missed in the Senate. RIP

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2019 9:10 AM

Congressman Elijah Cummings, member of the U.S. House of Representatives, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 9:12 AM

Is any network reporting this? I do not see it on CNN or MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2019 9:18 AM

ABC has reported it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 9:23 AM

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2019 9:26 AM

His wife Rockeymoore will probably inherit the seat in the special election. She runs the Maryland democratic party and profited nicely doing so..

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2019 9:47 AM

Trump is going to gloat like the asshole he is. Ivanka and Jared will gate crash the funeral to soften the optics.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2019 9:47 AM

A tragic loss for the City of Baltimore, the party, and the country. He was an iconic civil rights leader and one of the rare decent and respectable civil servants in congress. When Rep. Cummings entered a room, everyone stopped what they were doing and just watched and waited. His charismatic presence was palpable and powerful and a much needed force of decency in this political climate. One of my favorites. He will be greatly missed by many of us.

Thank you for your service US Rep. Elijah Cummings (D) 7th Dist. Baltimore, MD. Godspeed. Well done, sir.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 9:48 AM

Just tell me there wasn't any foul play involved. I would've never considered that before the Orange Animal became president. Now I'm scared he'll sick Russia on all his enemies.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 9:49 AM

damn this is awful. He wasn't THAT old. What a wonderful man. I feel horrible that the last few years of his life were filled with stress and likely death threats because of the orange piece of shit occupying the White House.

Hopefully someone decent gets his seat.

Who takes over his committee now?

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 9:57 AM

r11 I wouldn't put it past tRump and his gang of thugs but the official statement from Cummings' office is he died as a result of "complications concerning longstanding health challenges".

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 9:59 AM

He was only 68?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 10:00 AM

I get him and John Lewis confused. However, both are great men and he will sorely be missed. He was one of the first to push for impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 10:03 AM

Must have caught a “bug” from all those rodents running around his district. SAD!

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 10:06 AM

Fortunately, Frederick Douglass is still here to carry on his work.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 10:14 AM

r13, I know about the statement, but think about it -- if he did indeed die due to foul play, they would probably want to put out a statement making it seem like everything was normal just to avoid a distraction. The "longstanding" could be meant to address curiosity at him dying at a relatively young 68. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I doubt it would be the first assassination dressed by family to look like everything happened naturally.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 10:14 AM

RIP indeed.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 10:16 AM

CNN said it was heart disease earlier. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was poisoned.

RIP Senator Cummings.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 10:21 AM

He's been ill for a while so it may not be foul play.

Like r9 I am dreading what Trump is going to tweet about this

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 10:25 AM

He had heart surgery in 2017 and an infection afterwards and was out of the House for a while during recovery.

This is easy to look up, don't go pushing conspiracy theories without at least checking to see if he really did have health problems... which he did.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 10:29 AM

He was a saint, a model citizen and a beautiful person. This country, the word and most certainly Congress will miss you Elijah... You will be MISSED!!!! And....celebrated for all that you have done for our country.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 10:39 AM

Very sad

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 10:40 AM

If only it were a different government official in the headline......

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 10:44 AM

[quote]This is easy to look up, don't go pushing conspiracy theories without at least checking to see if he really did have health problems... which he did.

Yes, in all honesty, he did not look well, and he must have been going through a LOT of stress chairing the Oversight Committee. I thought he and John Lewis were the same age; I was shocked to learn that Cummings was 11 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 10:51 AM

Let's see what Republicans will say--especially, Mark Meadows.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 11:05 AM

The OP title and lack of distinction of his correct position just shows the long-term effect of not teaching civics in school.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 11:09 AM

How come he’s not dead to you?

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Ugh, my first thought was oh no, is Trump going to 'respond'

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 11:34 AM

Is it some sort of inside joke that OP and others keep calling him a senator, or is it just ignorance?

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 11:39 AM

Yikes. OP calling him a senator and other posters not immediately correcting him is cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 11:41 AM

Sigh. This is a real loss. Especially now.

Next in line on the oversight committee is Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York (🙄). Spent some time with her. . In smarts she is on par with is Kevin McCarthy. And Kevin, whom I’ve met a few times, really could be outsmarted by the average Golden Retriever.

Pelosi needs to find a way to skip over Maloney. Eleanor Holmes Norton (of DC) is next in line. She’s admittedly a sharp pain in the butt. But at least she’s sharp.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 11:55 AM

^^^ . . . said the armchair quarterback who didn't even ARRIVE here until R32.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 11:55 AM

Sad news, for our country, for Baltimore and his loved ones. Rest in peace, sir.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 12:00 PM

(CLAP!)(CLAP!)(CLAP!)(CLAP!)(CLAP!!!)[standing ovation]

Well done, sir! A job well done!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 12:07 PM

He must have been in ill health for a while. Normally blalcks age very well, but he looked in his 80s.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 12:09 PM

[quote]Gov. Larry Hogan has 10 days to issue a proclamation stating a special primary election and a special general election will be held to fill the vacancy, according to the law. The special primary election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the proclamation was issued and the special general election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the primary.

Curious to see who from Baltimore politics is going to make a play for the seat. There is also an upcoming mayoral election so it is going to be interesting to see if some of the major mayoral players change course.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 12:10 PM

The good die young. Trump is never going to die.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 12:12 PM

[quote] A tragic loss for the City of Baltimore

Have you been to Baltimore lately?

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 12:16 PM

You just know Dump is going to say something spiteful and nasty. As RIck Wilson says, there is no bottom with that hideous excuse for a human being.

Very sorry for the loss of Cummings, but especially worried that it will delay the hugely important task of getting that cockroach out of the WH.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 12:17 PM

R34 doesn't realize most of us are busy or sleeping in the early morning hours. Now we're going to start yelling at each other because we didn't log into Datalounge before 7:00 AM? Get out of here.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 12:18 PM

Ignorance and probably non-Americans R31, I've seen a lot of examples of people confusing the Senate and the House lately. A few times I've even seen people confusing Democrats and Republicans and I think sometimes it's our international friends who get a little too involved in US politics, or maybe a troll.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 12:20 PM

DL fav Gym Jordan is the ranking Republican member of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2019 12:22 PM

It's weird because if you've heard of Elijah Cummings from the news it is because of his role in the Trump oversight and impeachment stuff, very much functions of the House.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2019 12:23 PM

Quite handsome in his younger years. May he RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2019 12:25 PM

Trump will make some half-hearted tribute that begins with “Even though he was never nice to me....”

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2019 12:25 PM

The (Republican) governor of Maryland

[quote]We are deeply saddened by the passing of Congressman Elijah Cummings, who was a fierce advocate for civil rights and for Maryland for more than three decades. Congressman Cummings leaves behind an incredible legacy of fighting for Baltimore City and working to improve people’s lives. He was a passionate and dedicated public servant whose countless contributions made our state and our country better.

Trump could learn a thing or two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2019 12:33 PM

^He's probably the only Republican that has responded thus far--Good for him! Already Google has a search listing; "elijah cummings republican response" and nothing comes back as far as a direct and personal response. It's 8:38AM/ET

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2019 12:39 PM

Ah... Mark Meadows did tweet something;

Mark Meadows @RepMarkMeadows

There was no stronger advocate and no better friend than Elijah Cummings. I am heartbroken for his wonderful family and staff—please pray for them. I will miss him dearly.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2019 12:41 PM

How is it people like this die so young and monsters like Trump can eat fast food every day and be fine?

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 12:42 PM

Even if Trump says something kind, people will assume he’s lying and laughing behind closed doors.

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2019 12:55 PM

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2019 1:02 PM

Yeah Trump, we remember you gloating when his house got broken into...

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2019 1:06 PM

R53. There’s no way The Don wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2019 1:07 PM

After the frankly racist treats and tirades that he went on against him recently Trump should show some respect for a change and just not say anything about the passing of Representative Cummings.

Oops! Too late!

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2019 1:21 PM

make that "racist tweets".

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2019 1:22 PM

Agree, R55. His actual (misspelled) announcement, written in crayon while he was taking his third watery shit of the early hours before heading back to bed for another four hours of sleep, was heavily edited. And, our nation is thankful to whomever did so.

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2019 1:24 PM

I just looked on Trump's Twitter feed and there is no mention of Cummings. Just a tweet about a witch Hunt, 27 minutes ago.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2019 1:46 PM

NVM, it's Twitter's stupid ordering of "important tweets". Interestingly that is lower on the list.

And yeah that statement was written by his social media manager.

Trolls are all over Twitter posting with glee and insulting Baltimore with Trump's attacks on it.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2019 1:49 PM

I don't think he wrote that tweet.

by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2019 1:52 PM

^Nope.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2019 1:58 PM

Ironically, Maloney is Trump’s Congresswoman. Her district covers eastern Manhattan and western Queens.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2019 2:00 PM

Of course he didn't, r61.

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2019 2:04 PM

I loved him. Why do good people die and Moscow Mitch, lives forever. Honestly, this makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2019 2:05 PM

Cummins went home to his district, every night. Everyone knows that, shithead.

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2019 2:08 PM

He died at Gilchrist Hospice Care. He's been in poor health for the last few years. This wasn't a sudden thing.

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2019 2:18 PM

He was in hospice when he died and had been missing from Congress since Sept 11th. I had not realized what a dire health situation he was in. Seemed like it was kept under wraps well.

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2019 2:20 PM

I hope Trump will say nothing. Trump is such a pig, he will only be hurtful.

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2019 2:20 PM

[quote]hard, if not impossible, to replace

Yes, what a relief for him.

by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2019 2:26 PM

I literally gasped out loud when I read the headline this morning. I saw "Elijah Cummings" on the first line, and expected the second line to say something like "hammers Trump on..." When I saw he had died, I was shocked and saddened. He was a great man and a great fighter, something we need more of in the Democratic Party. He will be sorely missed.

by Anonymousreply 71October 17, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]How is it people like this die so young and monsters like Trump can eat fast food every day and be fine?

[quote]I loved him. Why do good people die and Moscow Mitch, lives forever. Honestly, this makes me sad.

My deeply kind late mother used to say God is giving them extra time and opportunity to straighten out and turn from their evil ways.

A professor I had would say God hardens their hearts, as He did Pharaoh's, in order to work mighty miracles, thus bringing in throngs of converts to the True Religion.

I think my mom and my professor were both full of shit. The number of deathbed evil person conversions, and the conversion of throngs resulting from evildoers is MINUSCULE compared to the uncountable numbers irreparabaly harmed by them.

To paraphrase the Goodyear BLOTUS: Old Testament God, if you're listening...[bold]START SMITING THESE MOTHERFUCKERS.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 72October 17, 2019 2:41 PM

Goddammit. We have lost one of our true warriors. RIP.

[quote]Normally blalcks age very well

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 73October 17, 2019 3:00 PM

Pete Buttigieg @PeteButtigieg

“I want justice, oceans of it. I want fairness, rivers of it. That’s what I want.” — @RepCummings, a man of courage and faith

My deepest sympathies are with the Cummings family and his community. Let us honor him by insisting on justice and integrity in leadership, as he did.

by Anonymousreply 74October 17, 2019 3:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 17, 2019 3:28 PM

The trolls on Twitter AND DailyMail are having a field day. DM's headline is snarky as fuck, leading one to believe he died of an infection caused by rats in Baltimore, or some shit.

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote] damn this is awful. He wasn't THAT old. What a wonderful man. I feel horrible that the last few years of his life were filled with stress and likely death threats because of the orange piece of shit occupying the White House.

I am surprised that he was just 68. Based on his appearance and his bearing, I would have guessed he was at least 10 years older.

RIP

by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2019 3:37 PM

Barack Obama @BarackObama

Michelle and I are heartbroken over the passing of our friend, Elijah Cummings. May his example inspire more Americans to pick up the baton and carry it forward in a manner worthy of his service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2019 3:50 PM

Mother Jones @MotherJones

Stop what you are doing and watch this speech. The last words from Elijah Cummings' 92-year-old mother were, “Do not let them take the vote away from us.”

“There are efforts to stop people from voting. That's not right! This is not Russia. This is the United States of America!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2019 3:54 PM

This is a real loss for the country and the months ahead. His voice and message were respected by many on Capitol Hill. He knew how to make a point that resonated.

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Justin Amash:

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Chairman Elijah Cummings. He was kind, gracious, and thoughtful, and he served the people of his community with dignity and honor. I pray for his family, friends, and his office and @OversightDems staff. May his memory be eternal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2019 4:22 PM

I see Trump had someone else write a tweet of condolences.

There's no way he could have pieced that together himself.

Although it says a lot about Senator Cummings that Trump and his people knew not to let him be a dick on this day about his death.

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Bernie Sanders:

It was my honor to work closely with Rep. Elijah Cummings over the years. His integrity and moral vision for his community and the country were extraordinary. He will be sorely missed. Jane and I are deeply saddened by the loss of our friend. Our thoughts are with his family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2019 4:27 PM

Gabrielle Giffords:

Elijah Cummings was the best of who we are. His kindness and generosity touched everyone, including me when I first got to Congress.

His life will always be a model for service in the public interest. I live by his example every day. Rest in peace, my dear friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2019 4:29 PM

Bette Midler:

[quote]POTUS posts a phony eulogy to #ElijahCummings, who died today. After trashing Mr Cummings, a leader of the civil rights movement, and calling his district rat-infested, which probably broke his heart, this repulsive biped has the gall to pretend he admired him; it makes me sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2019 4:33 PM

"Now this has occurred because God had tired of Mr. Cummings who had lost the mandate of heaven and will not be one of it's denizens. This Cummings fellow had some roots in Haiti which as you know made a dealing with Satan in the 18th century."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2019 4:35 PM

R79

What bullshit. Trying to scare the inner city blacks into believing that republicunts want to bring back slavery etc.

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2019 4:37 PM

He was in hospice. He hasn't worked since Sept and in the last months, he was riding around in a scooter. He was a great man, It's a shame we had to lose him so soon.

by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote]What bullshit. Trying to scare the inner city blacks into believing that republicunts want to bring back slavery etc.

Honey, some of the White folk have been trying to bring back slavery ever since 1865. Read up on peonage, sharecropping, prisoner leasing, the Black codes, Jim Crow, voter suppression, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2019 4:43 PM

R99

You honestly think anything like that would pass a vote ?

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2019 4:45 PM

This bees bads. Oh, Hark, do I smell foods ? I has to goes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 17, 2019 5:01 PM

[quote]You honestly think anything like that would pass a vote ?

Why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 17, 2019 5:03 PM

He did so much for Baltimore. He liked to helped people. He lined his pockets good.

by Anonymousreply 93October 17, 2019 5:03 PM

R92

You do realize it was white people who put an end to slavery in this country ? Stop the fear mongering.

by Anonymousreply 94October 17, 2019 5:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2019 6:05 PM

R95

My God that's deep, powerful. Did Oprah orchestrate it ?

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2019 7:33 PM

Joe Biden @JoeBiden

Elijah Cummings was a true public servant, his life defined by the love of his community and a fierce commitment to ensuring truth wins over power. The whole Biden family sends our condolences to his wife, Maya, his children, and the entire city of Baltimore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2019 7:40 PM

R97

You think that Biden would dare say anything less about a black congressman ?

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2019 7:46 PM

Almost all the replies in this thread past r88 are by the same racist POS who is openly mocking Elijah Cumming's passing.

Shun him BIG TIME, gals!

by Anonymousreply 99October 17, 2019 7:59 PM

R99

Yeah GALS !

by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2019 8:14 PM

So if you're a representative, when you die you become a senator?

by Anonymousreply 101October 17, 2019 8:16 PM

You piss off, R34. R32 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 102October 17, 2019 8:25 PM

Rolling eyes at R89.

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2019 8:26 PM

r100, fuck off you racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2019 8:31 PM

Boy, this thread went bad fast.

by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2019 8:49 PM

Incredible loss

by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote] DM's headline is snarky as fuck

Britain's Daily Fail is like a mouthpiece for white supremacists.

Nobody takes that shit seriously. It's like Faux News, but British.

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote][R95] My God that's deep, powerful. Did Oprah orchestrate it ?

That's John Lewis, you fucking tard.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote]Boy, this thread went bad fast.

It started out bad, what with using the incorrect title for the man.

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2019 11:59 PM

Even superhero Black Panther mixed it up twice. People look alike, ya maroon. I still get Felicity Huffman and Edie Falco mixed up. Not everything is racist.

by Anonymousreply 110October 18, 2019 12:07 AM

^R108

by Anonymousreply 111October 18, 2019 12:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 18, 2019 12:13 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 18, 2019 12:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 18, 2019 11:02 AM

The widder will be announcing her intent to take over his position but not yet. Right now you needs to leaves her alones as she done be prostrate with grief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 21, 2019 6:06 AM

Moscow Mitch delivering a speech for Rep. Cummings?

by Anonymousreply 116October 24, 2019 3:28 PM

This is a beautiful tribute for him. I just read that Cummings appears to be the first African American and African American lawmaker to lie in state in the US Capitol, according to congressional historians.

There is still much work to do but race relations in this nation have improved. To have such an honor bestowed upon an African American in this country. There are probably those white ancestors who are turning over in their graves about this. But, hey... the election of President Obama didn't make them arise from the grave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 24, 2019 3:46 PM

The Senate will never be the same without Elijah Cummings.

by Anonymousreply 118October 24, 2019 3:49 PM

OMG, did anyone else catch Chris Janssing saying Rep. Cummings's coffin was lying on Abraham Lincoln's "catapult"?

Now, I could almost excuse it if she were a Millennial or Gen Z, but she is from the generation where they actually taught you words like "catafalque," and one frequently saw it in books, magazines, and newspapers--before all were dumbed down to the LCD.

by Anonymousreply 119October 24, 2019 3:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 25, 2019 1:12 PM

Church is packed! They're turning people away!

by Anonymousreply 121October 25, 2019 2:02 PM

R117, I think Rosa Parks was also bestowed this honor.

Did anyone catch the pallbearer who skipped shaking Moscow Mitch’s hand. Priceless!

by Anonymousreply 122October 25, 2019 2:18 PM

He was murdered, let’s be real, especially after that suspicious “break in”. He’s been handled.

by Anonymousreply 123October 25, 2019 2:23 PM

He was murdered, let’s be real, especially after that suspicious “break in”. He’s been handled.

by Anonymousreply 124October 25, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote]Did anyone catch the pallbearer who skipped shaking Moscow Mitch’s hand. Priceless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 25, 2019 2:44 PM

Standing ovation for Miss Nancy!

by Anonymousreply 126October 25, 2019 2:48 PM

R126

Pelosi is full of shit. She'll say anything. Can anyone name one accomplishment of Cummings ?

by Anonymousreply 127October 25, 2019 3:27 PM

Wow, Bill Clinton Gave a beautiful tribute using the biblical Elijah as a model for Cummings

by Anonymousreply 128October 25, 2019 4:48 PM

Obama is preaching!

by Anonymousreply 129October 25, 2019 4:54 PM

GO OBAMA, GO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 130October 25, 2019 4:56 PM

Obama is killing it!

by Anonymousreply 131October 25, 2019 4:56 PM

Alex Seitz-Wald @aseitzwald

Obama at Elijah Cumming's funeral: "There's nothing weak about being honorable. You're not a sucker to have integrity and treat others with respect"

by Anonymousreply 132October 25, 2019 4:57 PM

Obama nailed it. God, I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 133October 25, 2019 5:01 PM

It wasn't Cummings' fault if Baltimore is a shithole. He didn't run the city.

by Anonymousreply 134October 25, 2019 5:05 PM

Obama is amazing

by Anonymousreply 135October 25, 2019 5:07 PM

People calling him 'senator' are Russian trolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 25, 2019 5:11 PM

It's so sad how we went from someone as great as Obama to as fuckin disgusting as Trump.

I miss having a president I respect.

by Anonymousreply 137October 25, 2019 5:11 PM

“There’s nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There’s nothing weak about looking out for others. There’s nothing weak about being honorable.”

-Former President @BarackObama

at the funeral of Rep. Elijah Cummings

Jim Acosta @Acosta

Obama at Cummings funeral: “Being a strong man includes being kind.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 25, 2019 5:13 PM

R137 having a black President will do that

by Anonymousreply 139October 25, 2019 5:23 PM

He's not black R139.

by Anonymousreply 140October 25, 2019 5:27 PM

And you’re not bright

by Anonymousreply 141October 25, 2019 5:56 PM

POLITICS

Read Barack Obama’s Eulogy for Elijah Cummings

“Elijah Cummings was honorable before he was elected to office. There's a difference.”

Former President Barack Obama delivered a eulogy today honoring Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, who died last week after a decades-long career in the House of Representatives. Cummings was known in Congress as a staunch defender of voting rights and for his perch as chair of the House Oversight Committee, which put him at the center of the impeachment inquiry now facing President Donald Trump. The widespread, bipartisan adulation Cummings’s colleagues had for him was made clear yesterday, when he laid in state at the Capitol—the first African American lawmaker to be afforded that honor in the nation’s history.

To the bishop, and the first lady, and the New Psalmist family, to the Cummings family, Maya, Mr. President, Madam Secretary, Madam Speaker, governor, friends, colleagues, staff.

The seed on good soil, the parable of the sower tells us, stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. The seed on good soil.

Elijah Cummings came from good soil. And in this sturdy frame, goodness took root. His parents were sharecroppers from the south. They picked tobacco and strawberries, and then sought something better in this city, south Baltimore. Robert worked shifts at a plant, and Ruth cleaned other people's homes. They became parents of seven, preachers to a small flock. I remember I had the pleasure of meeting Elijah's mother, Ruth, and she told me she prayed for me every day, and I knew it was true, and I felt better for it. Sometimes, people say they are praying for you, and you don't know. They might be praying about you, but you don't know if they are praying for you. But I knew Miss Ruth was telling the truth.

So they were the proverbial salt of the earth, and they passed on that strength and that grit, but also that kindness and that faith to their son. As a boy, Elijah's dad made him shine his shoes and tie his tie, and they’d go to the airport—not to board the airplanes, but to watch others do it. I remember Elijah telling me this story. Robert would say, "I have not flied. I may not fly, but you will fly one day. We can't afford it right now, but you will fly."

His grandmother— as Elijah related—and as grandmothers do, was a little more impatient with her advice. Your daddy, she said, "He’s been waiting and waiting for a better day. Don't you wait." And Elijah did not wait. Against all odds, Elijah earned his degrees. He learned about the rights that all people in this country are supposed to possess, with a little help, apparently, from Perry Mason. Elijah became a lawyer to make sure that others had rights, and his people had their god-given rights, and from the statehouse to the House of Representatives his commitment to justice and the rights of others would never, ever waver.

Elijah's example: A son of parents who rose from nothing to carve out just a little something, a public servant who toiled to guarantee the least of us have the same opportunities that he had earned. A leader who once said he would die for his people, even as he lived every minute for them—his life validates the things we tell ourselves about what’s possible in this country. Not guaranteed, but possible. The possibility that our destinies are not preordained. But rather, through our works, and our dedication, and our willingness to open our hearts to God's message of love for all people, we can live a purposeful life. That we can reap a bountiful harvest. That we are neither sentenced to wither among the rocks nor assured a bounty, but we have a capacity, the chance, as individuals and as a nation, to root ourselves in good soil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 25, 2019 6:07 PM

Elijah understood that. That's why he fought for justice. That's why he embraced his beloved community of Baltimore. That's why he went on to fight for the rights and opportunities of forgotten people all across America, not just in his district. He was never complacent, for he knew that without clarity of purpose and a steadfast faith, and the dogged determination demanded by our liberty, the promise of this nation can wither. Complacency, he knew, was not only corrosive for our collective lives, but for our individual lives. It has been remarked that Elijah was a kind man. I tell my daughters—and I have to say, listening to Elijah’s daughters speak, that got me choked up. I am sure those of you who have sons feel the same way, but there is something about daughters and their fathers. And I was thinking, I would want my daughters to know how much I love them, but I would also want them to know that being a strong man includes being kind.

That there is nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There is nothing weak about looking out for others. There is nothing weak about being honorable. You are not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect. I was sitting here and I was just noticing the honorable elijah e. cummings and you know, this is a title that we confer on all kinds of people who get elected to public office. We’re supposed to introduce them as honorable.

But Elijah Cummings was honorable before he was elected to office. There's a difference. There is a difference if you are honorable and treated others honorably outside the limelight: On the side of a road. In a quiet moment, counseling somebody you work with. Letting your daughters know you love them. You know, as president, I knew I could always count on Elijah being honorable and doing the right thing. And people have talked about his voice. There is something about his voice. It just made you feel better. There’s some people, they have that deep baritone, a prophetic voice. And when it was good times and we achieved victories together, that voice and that laugh was a gift. But you needed it more during the tough times, when the path ahead looked crooked, when obstacles abounded. When I entertained doubts, or I saw those who were in the fight start to waver, that’s when Elijah's voice mattered most.

More than once during my presidency, when the economy still looked like it might plunge into depression, when the health-care bill was pronounced dead in Congress, I would watch Elijah rally his colleagues. “The cost of doing nothing isn't nothing,” he would say, and folks would remember why they entered into public service. “Our children are the living messengers we send to a future we will never see,” he would say, and he would remind all of us that our time is too short not to fight for what's good and what is true and what is best in America.

Two-hundred years to 300 years from now, he would say, people will look back at this moment and they will ask the question, “What did you do?” And hearing him, we would be reminded that it falls upon each of us to give voice to the voiceless, and comfort to the sick, and opportunity to those not born to it, and to preserve and nurture our democracy.

Elijah Cummings was a man of noble and good heart. His parents and his faith planted the seeds of hope, and love, and compassion, and righteousness in that good soil of his. He has harvested all the crops that he could, for the Lord has now called Elijah home, to give his humble, faithful servant rest. And it now falls on us to continue his work, so that other young boys and girls from Baltimore, across Maryland, across the United States, and around the world might too have a chance to grow and to flourish. That's how we will honor him. That's how we will remember him. That's what he would hope for. May God bless the memory of the very honorable Elijah Cummings. And may God bless this city, and this state, and this nation that he loved. God bless you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 25, 2019 6:09 PM

YES, MA'AM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 25, 2019 6:38 PM

The video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 25, 2019 6:48 PM

[QUOTE]using the biblical Elijah as a model for Cummings

I'm sure those black people loved that one !

by Anonymousreply 146October 26, 2019 4:24 AM

R144

What theatrics ! Loved watching Hill nod her head constantly like the blacks do whenever one of their own is speaking. A few standing ovations. Yes, only at this kind of funeral do you see standing ovations for a eulogy. Cummings was crooked but no one will dare to push that envelope now. You kidding me ? Pelosi, Clintons, Obamas down with the peeps. Uh huh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 26, 2019 4:35 AM

Beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 26, 2019 10:54 PM

R148

She's a bigger phony than you are.

by Anonymousreply 149October 27, 2019 5:14 AM

R147 is a Deplorable

by Anonymousreply 150October 27, 2019 12:54 PM

r147, is also a racist.

Shun him, gals!

by Anonymousreply 151October 27, 2019 1:19 PM

Elijah Cummings pallbearer explains snub of Mitch McConnell: It’s personal

A pallbearer for Rep. Elijah Cummings whose refusal to shake hands with Mitch McConnell went viral reportedly says he had a very personal reason for snubbing the Senate majority leader.

The internet assumed that Bobby Rankin had a political motive for shading McConnell. But the truth was a bit more painful: Rankin claimed McConnell refused to help his brother, Jerry, who died of cancer last year after his family says the Marine was sickened by tainted drinking water at Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he was stationed.

“When I saw Mitch McConnell, all I saw was my brother’s face,” Rankin told the Washington Post.

“I could not put my hands in the man’s hand who refused to help somebody who served his country,” Rankin added. “I couldn’t do it, because I was thinking about my brother.”

Rankin says he asked Cummings for help when he claims his brother was not awarded the proper veterans benefits over his cancer. Cummings in turn reached out for bipartisan assistance from McConnell, but Rankin claims he refused.

Rankin was one of several close friends tasked with carrying Cummings’ coffin into the Capitol last week where he lay in state.

After setting down the coffin, Rankin strode down a line of officials, shaking hands. When he got to the Republican senator from Kentucky, Rankin deliberately walked past him and moved on to greet House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The moment was captured on video, along with McConnell’s dumbfounded glance over at Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) McConnell has refused to comment.

Rankin became friends with Cummings two decades ago after they struck up a conversation while filling their cars with gas at a service station in Baltimore, the congressman’s home town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 28, 2019 7:06 PM

I still have yet to learn of one accomplishment of Elijah's. His district is as bad now as it was when he started with it over 20 yrs ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 1, 2019 5:05 AM

Here's a novel idea for you, R153; Why not just enter the following into the Google search address bar, "elijah cummings accomplishments." That should give you a good start.

by Anonymousreply 154November 1, 2019 11:44 AM

And you're still a racist r153.

by Anonymousreply 155November 1, 2019 12:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!