Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fox Sports Analyst Jimmy Johnson Bullied Janis Joplin at Texas High School in the 50’s

[QUOTE]Joplin was the hippie outsider, Johnson the star linebacker. Among other things, he and his jock crew openly groped Joplin and spread rumors that she’d slept with their friends because she “looked and acted weird,” according to an upcoming book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 7:54 PM

Well I guess Karma came calling when Jerry Jones fired him right after winning the super bowl.

Texas was not in any way ready for someone like Janis way back then.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2019 3:37 AM

She talked about being ostracized in high school because she hung out with black kids and liked their music. High school in bumfuck, Texas in the early 60s must have been pure hell.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2019 3:46 AM

It’s a shame that children have to suffer such torment just to attend school. She must have been one tough girl, but I highly doubt it had no effect on her.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2019 3:47 AM

[QUOTE]She also reportedly despised sports, a big no-no in the Texas town. By her senior year, the “Piece of My Heart” singer was “the image of everything the students disliked,” her friend Tary Owens told George-Warren.

[QUOTE] In a 1992 Sports Illustrated interview, Johnson claimed Joplin “never wore any panties,” adding “from what I understand.” Johnson, now 76 and an analyst on Fox Sports, admittedly nicknamed the iconic singer “Beats Weeds” in a crude reference to her pubic hair.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 3:57 AM

I remember he was on Survivor. He got voted off pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2019 4:01 AM

He seems like such a cool grandpa when you watch him on NFL Sunday. Does he even have any remorse?

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 4:07 AM

Poor Janis imagine the assholes who bullied you in high school using your name after you died to try and make themselves sound more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2019 4:08 AM

What an asshole.

(Him, not her).

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t call her a dyke, though.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2019 10:13 AM

We're talking about her long after her death, I don't think we'll be doing the same for him somehow.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2019 12:42 PM

In my vast experience, jocks, as a rule, are flaming assholes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 12:55 PM

But he's such a hot daddy. I would present hole for him.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 1:09 PM

What a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 1:15 PM

It doesn't shock me a bit that this turd helped spread nasty rumors about a young lady and continued to insult her, after her death, into his 'adulthood'. Small-dicked, straight guys always feel at their most Big Boy status and nothing get their puny cocklet harder, when they can denigrate women or gays.

Total. Trash.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 1:18 PM

Everyone bullied her. When she went to her high school reunion, she hired a limo and had her Hollywood friends make her over and thought she'd be hot shit walking back in and still everyone laughed and bullied her at the reunion.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 2:11 PM

That’s so sad @R14

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 2:15 PM

He's said he has no remorse in how he treated her. He wrote about it in his own memoir.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 2:30 PM

He's probably a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 2:34 PM

Anyone appearing on a show like Survivor was selected because they were an unlikable self involved jerk---that's all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 4:08 PM

"He's said he has no remorse in how he treated her. "

I'd be willing to forgive a teenager for being a jerk because at that age they don't know any better, but THAT confirms him as a life-long, unrepentant, truly vile human being.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 11:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 12:25 PM

While it’s great to beat up on rightwing idiots, let’s admit we are all assholes in our teens. It’s like that Jon Hamm frat story — are we really going to hang that albatross around his neck forever? I remember what a sorry sack of shit I was for so much of my own life, with a mixture of embarrassed amusement and extreme regret.

I know some of you will answer my rhetorical question with an enthusiastic “yes,” but that says a lot more about you than about the person being shamed. We were all 19 once.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 12:40 PM

R21, what's really shitty is the fact that he said he does not regret bullying her. If he had any kind of maturity/empathy he would regret it. Badly.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 12:45 PM

I don’t recall bullying or sexually assaulting anyone in my teens.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 12:45 PM

[quote] High school in bumfuck, Texas in the early 60s must have been pure hell.

Port Arthur is still pure hell.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 1:43 PM

Poor Janis was nominated as 'ugliest man on campus'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 2:03 PM

R14: From what I understand, this incident at her high school reunion led to a deep depression and her using heroin more until she overdosed.

This clip from the Dick Cavett show she talked about looking forward to attending the reunion. She wanted to return home the conquering hero. She was so sad and vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 3:08 PM

She should have just told everyone she invented the Post-It!

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 3:11 PM

One of the allegations is that he groped her, so he actually committed a crime. He's more than a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 3:21 PM

How could ANYONE possibly justify being a high school bully? Especially when everyone knows the bullied party had serious issues and died young?

Only a complete sociopath could fail to regret being an asshole to the "ugly" girl in high school, although admittedly most straight men wouldn't waste a lot of time on self-recrimination.

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 3:29 PM

Sociopath was my thought as well.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 3:31 PM

He’s PROUD of his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 3:34 PM

Johnson's comments are creepy. There is no context. It's not as if he said, "Well, looking back..." He's bragging about this. Hope has CTE.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 3:34 PM

This is one guy I'd like to see suffer the more extreme affects of #metoo, even if it's really too late.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 3:35 PM

R14 In all fairness, Joplin spent a lot of time bashing Port Arthur, Texas and she may have been in the right but people generally tend to resent being ripped to pieces like that.

Former classmates did try to talk to Janis Joplin at the reunion only to be ignored by her.

Things did turn downright cruel when a male reporter asked her if she went to prom . She said no. He asked if she has been invited to prom. She very quietly said no.

It wasn't a perfect storm, it was a perfect disaster. Janis wanted to have her say, took her swaggering a bit too far and it blew up in her face in such a cruel way.

(Johnson is grade-a prick. He is a "jock" personified. Hope is football injuries plaque him until he dies for all of the pain he has caused others.)

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 3:41 PM

You just know he has a stank ass and voted for Trump. I hope the old cunt suffers to his last breath.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 3:47 PM

You keep rockin' in Heaven Miss Janis. Just be glad you don't have to share this realm with a cowardly scumbag like Johnson anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 7:50 PM

You won Janis. You beat 'em. You just take it easy from here on out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 7:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!