Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump's insane letter to Erdogan

Reporters had to confirm it was legit.

Don't worry if you don't read well -- it's written at a 4th grade level, complete with taunts and exclamation points.

I know he's an unhinged illiterate but couldn't someone write the grown up version for him?

BTW, this went out last week so it didn't stop the slaughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 19, 2019 3:39 AM

That signature speaks volumes, signed with a Sharpie?

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Clearly his Ivy league education is not worth the paper that letter is written on.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Erdogan and his henchmen when the letter arrived:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 9:31 PM

As a Penn alum, I’m utterly ashamed, r2.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Making deals. Who the fuck does he think he is?

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 9:40 PM

Why the 25th amendment is exercised always beats me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 9:40 PM

No way that is real.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 9:55 PM

I think it's simply marvelous! Is Donald Trump an alum of the Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 10:13 PM

Wow. Business Communication 101 graduate for sure. Those childish taunts and gratuitous exclamation points really tell Turkey what’s up.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 10:18 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 10:19 PM

Trump is the shittiest negotiator ever. He gave away all his chips—and now he thinks he can make a deal? Fuck off and die you loser. You have created a catastrophe and are responsible for the slaughter of innocent people who were our allies.

Trump is a criminal thug piece of shit and should be arrested for and being an accessory to war crimes.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 10:20 PM

R7, most of the news reports added that they confirmed it's real.

One article at link but just Google "Trump letter"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 10:25 PM

From Twitter -

Trump just became the first US official to confirm the presence of 50 US nuclear bombs based in Turkey. "We're very confident" they're safe, he told reporters, via WH Pool

US and Nato officials never talk about nuclear deployments abroad.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 10:33 PM

Leaked audio of Jabba Trump dictating his letter.

LOL LOL LOL This guy is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 10:34 PM

Wow, r13—I think that is the most shocking thing I’ve heard in awhile, tbh. That is VERY highly classified info, I believe. And he just throws it out there.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 10:37 PM

Trump can't keep a secret because he wants everyone to know he knows important secrets.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 10:39 PM

WaPo's Josh Dawsey:

Trump opened his meeting with leaders by boasting of his "nasty" letter to Erdogan, per Dem aide familiar with meeting.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 10:40 PM

My face everyday if I worked at the WH:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Tom Nichols:

Imagine the letters we "haven't" seen.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 10:47 PM

Trump is a fucking idiot r7. Have you heard him speak?

It's no surprise to me that it is real, just another reminder of the sad state our country is in.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 10:48 PM

LOVE YA LIKE A SIS! LONGER LETTER LATER! SORRY SO SLOPPY! LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 10:54 PM

He is a lunatic. Trash Trish is a strong Trump supporter. Why would she release it? I won’t watch her show but somehow she and her guests will turn this to Don’s victory. It is her pathetic agenda.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 10:55 PM

I think he must want to be impeached at this point, at least subconsciously. It's probably driving him nuts that they won't just pull the trigger and get it over with. He has no clue how to do any of this.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]Don't worry if you don't read well -- it's written at a 4th grade level, complete with taunts and exclamation points.

[bold]The letter not addressed to Erdogan, it's directed at the deplorables. [/bold] The letter shows Trump tried to make a deal with Erdogan, takes the heat off the House resolution condemning the President's inaction by showing Trump working on a peaceful solution. That's the reason for the 4th grade level text.

[bold] It also disrespects the Kurd overture to Erdogan. Trump encloses Gen. Mazloum letter to Erdogan. Think how the Kurds feel seeing the President of the US sending their desperate offer to Erdogan with this cover letter. [/bold]

A twofer

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 11:08 PM

The greatest of the letter's many tragedies is the two spaces inserted between every sentence.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 11:09 PM

Well, he sure told Erdogan! He told him NOW so that he didn't have to tell him LATER (that he's a fucking moron).

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 11:18 PM

Back before the computer came around R25, when we pecked at typewriters, two spaces after a period was standard practice.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 11:24 PM

I'm in a very bad dream. Maybe in a coma. When will I wake up from this?

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2019 11:24 PM

Comment about the letter on MSNBC: “This is what weakness looks like.”

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2019 11:36 PM

That was Charlie Sykes, R29, well known Republican (not a trumper).

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2019 11:52 PM

I'll bet it was past dated too. So he could say he did something about it last week. It likely went out today if it was even sent and of course it was "leaked" by a Trump supporter because it was given to her to leak.

They think they're sooo clever.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 12:21 AM

I think it was leaked by the Democrats. It was handed out today at the meeting.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 12:27 AM

I imagine when Erdogan got the letter and read it his response was to roll his eyes and say "BITCH PLEASE!".

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 12:29 AM

I read today that Erdogan refused to meet with Pence the Dunce and that ruddy faced slob Pompeo during their visit. He said they can meet with their counterparts there in Turkey, but not him. He'll only meet with Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 12:31 AM

R24 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Trump talk pretty one day

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Oh my god. We elected Monte Hall for President.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 1:07 AM

I think I have read one letter as ridiculous as this one. But it was written by a Small Foreign Faction.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 1:52 AM

I've written a letter to Vladdy

Dear Vladdy❤❤❤

You say you still care for me

But your heart and soul needs to be free

And now that you've got your freedom

You want to still hold on to me

You don't want me for yourself

So let me find somebody else

Why don't you be a man about it and set me free

You're just using me - Hey, abusing me

You just keep me hanging on

Yours graciously, just like the penthouse in the Trump Tower in Moscow

Donnie BoomBoom

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 2:06 AM

R32 it was an exclusive by a Fox News reporter. No way that was leaked by the Dems. It was planted with her.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 2:09 AM

R40, do you think Dump thought it was a great letter? Is he that delusional? Or was it just a distraction?

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 2:12 AM

I think when he is ranting and angry, people just do what he wants to get out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 2:14 AM

Not R40, R41 but I think they leaked it to Fox for the same reason he brought it to the MTG:. That it was exculpatory and show how in control he is.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 2:27 AM

Of course Jabba thinks it's a great letter. Remember, he's the type of incompetent who manages by intimidation because he has nothing else to impress others with. He has no knowledge, experience, or expertise in the job. The only thing he has is power, and he thinks displaying that, impresses people. He's too stupid to see that anyone with true management ability laughs at his bellicose displays.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Bravo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2019 12:01 PM

According to this, Erdogan threw the letter in the trash and then invaded anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2019 12:04 PM

According to that the letter was the "final straw" to provoke Erdogan to invade right then.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2019 1:51 PM

R41, per other reporting, Trump thought it was a great letter. He brought it to the White House meeting with Congressional leaders and he is reported to have encouraged Congressional Republicans to share it widely.

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2019 2:41 PM

If I were Erdogan, I would have wiped my ass with Trump's letter and sent it back to him with a shit signature.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2019 3:49 PM

On CNN yesterday one of the guests said it sounded like it was written by an 8 year old in crayon.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2019 3:52 PM

The “call you later” absolutely killed me.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 3:55 PM

See ya later, alligator.

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2019 3:56 PM

This has gone from surreal to frightening. The racist, sexist, irresponsible imbecile in the White House is a pawn of Putin. He is setting it up to dismantle NATO. The Baltic Republics ought to be on their guard. If Russian forces enter in the name of protecting Russian nationals, those independent states (all NATO members) cannot rely on the United States for support.

What does Putin have on that imbecile? It's more than a pee tape.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Yesterday Fox News described the letter as "ominous," I wonder if they'll even report Erdogan's response to the deplorables.

R53 - Turkey is a member of NATO. TIA about the Baltics.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2019 4:02 PM

Here's the real letter Trump sent him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2019 4:21 PM

I want to find a very high mountain and scream at the fucking imbeciles who voted in this asshole under some idea he could ever be 'presidential' - that's the least violent of everything I'd really like to do.

This is so frustrating. BASTA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2019 4:28 PM

R28 Actually we've all died and went to hell.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2019 4:31 PM

Yeah I really wanna know what Russia has on him. There is just no other rationale for his foreign policy dexisions at this point. Why pull this shit and piss off even more Senate Republicans when he's facing impeachment?

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2019 5:17 PM

BUT THE LETTER WORKED. ERDOGAN MET WITH PENCE! TRUMP SCARED HIM!

One has to admire the stage management.

That letter was so ominous that it brought Erdogan to the negotiating table. This is all kabuki theatre. From the letter, to leaking it to the press, to Pence heading there despite Erdogan refusal to meet with him (DOES NOT HAPPEN IN DIPLOMATIC CIRCLES), to finally Pence/Erdogan photographed together.

Nothing will happen. But, hey, Trump will say it did the trick: the Kurds are safe, except that ones that are no angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2019 5:18 PM

It was the impressive scrolling Star Wars presentation of the letter that persuaded Erdogan to meet with Pence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2019 5:23 PM

R54, Marie...Yes, Turkey is a member of NATO, but the endgame, I fear, for this imbecile is the destruction of the NATO alliance.

This is less threatening analysis of his actions: He wants to tell his base that he brought the troops home. For him, it's about a campaign promise with absolutely no thought to American security interests or to any consequence to people.

Here's the nefarious (and perhaps likely) reason: he's Putin's pawn.

by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2019 5:25 PM

A ceasefire is not a withdrawal. This is just theatre.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2019 5:58 PM

It's worse than that, R62. Apparently it's just a five-day pause in operations.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2019 6:36 PM

Tom Nichols:

Right now in a diner in Rube Nation, two guys are nodding at each other saying “See, the president saved the world again.”

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2019 6:36 PM

r61 Absolutely. You can look at from all directions and still a sell-out.

4 Final analysis - The Kurds lost 20 miles around the Syrian border, the US troops are gone, and ISIS prisoners are liberated. Oh, yes, the Kurds are terrorized and know they are at RU & Assad's mercy. THERE IS NOT MONITORING MECHANISM FOR THE CEASE-FIRE.

What's happening vs what being said.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2019 7:10 PM

If Putin isn't involved, I'm a turkey.

Just kidding. I think Erdogen has Jared's number per his involvement with the Khashoggi murder. Just ask Marie. She knows.

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2019 7:16 PM

I'm beginning to think the Hadron collider threw us into this fucking awful alternate universe that we can't get out of!

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2019 7:56 PM

R62 I agree. R66 Putin is running this. Russia is getting more power in the region. Putin has wanted it for a long time and Dumb is finally giving it to him.

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2019 9:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2019 9:57 PM

Russia is getting more influence with Turkey and Iran. Iran has already joined the Shanghai Agreement, and Turkey will likely do the same. This was intended to compete against the EU but it's a paper tiger. What's not a paper tiger is the expanding military cooperation between Russia and China. This is dependably expanding to include Iran, which unlike Saudi, has an actual functioning military. If Turkey bolts NATO, that's the second largest force after the US. This puts the entire Caucasus region under Russian control, and the Baltics are pretty screwed.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2019 12:58 AM

Yeah but Trump will be rich so fuck everything else.

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2019 1:00 AM

R71 Is he really rich? He is fucked up stupid for sure.

by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2019 11:45 AM

Of course he’s rich. He may not be a billionaire but he’s definitely rich.

by Anonymousreply 73October 18, 2019 2:31 PM

Erdogan considered the letter disrespectful and promises "steps will be taken" when the time is right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2019 2:50 PM

We're all gonna die

by Anonymousreply 75October 18, 2019 5:11 PM

The cease-fire has already been broken.

[bold]AFP news agency[/bold]

#BREAKING Turkish bombardment violating truce: Kurdish spokesman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 18, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote] the Baltics are pretty screwed

The Baltics need to finally learn to defend themselves, instead of relying on British and US 18-year-old recruits to constantly save their weak asses, like a perpetual damsel-in-distress, for the rest of eternity. Look at Japan & Vietnam - tiny countries but they fight like hell-dogs on steroids. Japan managed to historically kick everyone’s ass in the region (China’s, Russia’s, Korea’s), they only lost to the US (but that’s normal, because the US military is the most advanced on the planet).

As for the Baltics - what do they even have that anyone wants. Frozen hellhole, tundra and forest. What does e.g. Lithuania have? No oil, no gas. If it was me, playing geo-political Monopoly, I’d rather get control over the Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, etc) - they are the ones with the gigantic, Saudi-level reserves of previous oil.

by Anonymousreply 77October 18, 2019 8:09 PM

*precious oil

by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2019 8:10 PM

The Baltics separate the Kaliningrad exclave from the rest of Russia. And it's pretty well known that Putin wants to regain Russian influence over the former Eastern Bloc countries. That's why he wants toi break up NATO.

by Anonymousreply 79October 18, 2019 8:33 PM

r77

[quote]As for the Baltics - what do they even have that anyone wants. Frozen hellhole, tundra and forest. What does e.g. Lithuania have? No oil, no gas. If it was me, playing geo-political Monopoly, I’d rather get control over the Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, etc) - they are the ones with the gigantic, Saudi-level reserves of previous oil.

Idiot! Baltics provide first rate intelligence into Russia and serve as forward defense positions to limit the amount of land the RU can get.

by Anonymousreply 80October 18, 2019 8:41 PM

R77, the Baltic states are, in fact, lovely, and, over the centuries, have been highly coveted.

by Anonymousreply 81October 18, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote] Baltics provide first rate intelligence

Like what, R77? We're in the modern, advanced-tech 21st century - Pentagon already has [italic]satellites[/italic] in space, monitoring everything on the planet. The only extra thing the Baltics can notice is if the Ruskies fart in their direction, down-wind.

[quote] to limit the amount of land the RU can get

They already have a butt-load of land. They have a dwindling population and more unused land than they know what to do with. They want strategic assets instead (once their own oil dries up). The gigantic oil & gas reserves in the Arctic circle will be the big points of contention going forward. I can already foresee a big international squabble over that treasure in the future (between Canada, Russia, US, Norway, Sweden, Denmark). That's why Trump wanted to "buy" Greenland from the Danes. He doesn't give a shit about Greenland - but everyone knows Greenland will be entitled to a big part of the Arctic shelf ( = oil). Compared to those lucrative $$$$ Arctic reserves (that every major nation will soon be fighting over), what reserves does e.g. Lithuania have? Small pennies in comparison.

[quote] the Baltic states are, in fact, lovely, and, over the centuries, have been highly coveted.

They were coveted before the advent of commercial air travel :). I don't doubt that they're lovely to look at. But I keep seeing more & more hot, young Lithuanian guys in London. I don't see them wanting to go back. They seem to prefer the opportunities in Britain. If those Baltic places were so great, Brits would be moving there instead for jobs & resources. But it's the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 82October 18, 2019 10:00 PM

^*Meant R80, not R77

by Anonymousreply 83October 18, 2019 10:01 PM

R82

Estonia's secret service provided the first information regarding meetings in Austria between the Trump team and the Russians. They did this with HUMINT, meaning human assets in place because you can't depend satellites for all information.

Russia may have a lot of land, but Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia are prime Real Estate abutting both St. Petersburg and the RU submarine base in Kaliningrad. Changes the equation dramatically. It's an old "push to the sea" goal.

Either stupid or disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 84October 18, 2019 10:47 PM

R84, regarding "prime real estate abutting St. Petersburg" - you must be kidding. The Independent says that city was built on a mosquito-infested swamp.

As for "push to the sea" - you said it yourself, they [italic]already[/italic] have access to the Baltic Sea via Kaliningrad. But their touted Baltic Fleet is pointless. The Baltic Sea is a mostly enclosed water system, like a big puddle - it doesn't even provide a free exit into Oceanic waters. Which means their fleet is stuck in that sea, with no way out. The only way out is to squeeze out through a small strait between Sweden, Denmark & Germany - a ridiculously difficult task. The Baltic Sea is also described as a "shallow sea", which likely makes submarine travel difficult. It's not like the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has easy access to the whole, immensely deep Pacific Ocean.

Also, looking at a map, the Baltics are north of Kaliningrad (so they have a more northern latitude & colder climate) and google says the Gulf of Riga (Latvia) even frequently FREEZES in the winter. Yes, what a 'great' in-demand asset - a frequently frozen gulf in a shallow sea which doesn't even connect you to open oceanic waters. The irony is that anyone's fleet in the enclosed Baltic Sea is like a sitting duck in a pond.

by Anonymousreply 85October 19, 2019 12:08 AM

Putin has never stopped seething about the breakup of the old Soviet Union and blames the west for it. He wants it all back, including the Baltics.

by Anonymousreply 86October 19, 2019 12:26 AM

People seem to forget that the "old Soviet Union" covered most of Central Asia. Are you saying he wants Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia (Kardashian-land :) and Azerbaijan "back"? Lol - good 'luck' to anyone who plans to chase after all these crazy republics across half of the Asian continent.

by Anonymousreply 87October 19, 2019 12:40 AM

Just goes to show you that the Rich get a pass. He has an MBA from the Warton School at Penn. One of the best MBA programs in the country. Wha;t worse you know he dictated that so someone had to type it up for him, with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2019 12:42 AM

Are you talking about Dump, r88? He most certainly does not have an MBA from Wharton. He went undergrad (not at all prestigious) only due to a donation from dear old dad.

by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2019 12:49 AM

Yes, Cheeto transferred to Wharton from Fordham after Fred made it happen $$

by Anonymousreply 90October 19, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote] People seem to forget that the "old Soviet Union" covered most of Central Asia. Are you saying he wants Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia (Kardashian-land :) and Azerbaijan "back"? Lol - good 'luck' to anyone who plans to chase after all these crazy republics across half of the Asian continent.

Kyrgyzstan would probably be ok with joining, they’re very pro-Russian and anti-American, even the crazy islamists.

by Anonymousreply 91October 19, 2019 12:53 AM

Why oh why didn’t he just award himself a prestigious degree?

by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2019 1:17 AM

I'm glad the letter was leaked. The rest of the world should be aware that the US has a incompetent fool leading it. If he's re-elected, they will understand that they should not rely on or trust us.

I live in the rural part of a consistently blue state and there are Trump 2020 lawn signs and banners up. Turns out Idiocracy got their timeline wrong. That dystopian future is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2019 3:01 AM

And the beat goes on

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 19, 2019 3:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!