Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Bourdain Fought For Journalists to Expose Harvey Weinstein

For years, journalists tried to nail the Harvey Weinstein story. There had been reports of the Hollywood producer's brutality, and whispers about him being abusive. But because of his incredible influence in the entertainment industry, no reporter was able to get the story across the finish line until 2017 when two media outlets published explosive exposés revealing the depth of Weinstein's abuse, including allegations of rape and sexual assault.

Ronan Farrow started his investigation for NBC and, after a slew of roadblocks from his bosses at the network, he finally took his work to the New Yorker, he reveals in his book Catch and Kill, which is out today. The book lays out in incredible detail months of calls, lunches, meetings, and interviews with women scared to stand up to Weinstein, and their motivations for coming forward. One unexpected champion of Farrow's reporting was the late chef, Anthony Bourdain.

Italian actress Asia Argento was one of Farrow's sources grappling with the decision to speak out. In his book, Farrow writes, "Her partner, the television personality and chef Anthony Bourdain, interceded repeatedly. He told her to keep going, that it was worth it, that it would make a difference. Argento decided to go on the record."

Not long after, as Weinstein's lawyers began to threaten Farrow, New Yorker editor-in-chief David Remnick received a call from Bourdain, as well. Bourdain told the editor "everyone" had known about Weinstein's predation for too long, adding, "I am not a religious man. But I pray you have the strength to run this story," according to Farrow.

Farrow' story ran in the New Yorker on October 10, 2017, helping set in motion the #MeToo movement. Bourdain and Argento became two of the champions of the cause. In December 2017 Bourdain wrote in a post on Medium:

[quote] It is an incredibly difficult and wrenching thing to come forward, to go public with claims of sexual assault or misconduct — as I have seen up close. Women risk a crushing level of public skepticism, vilification, shaming, and retribution. They have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

[quote] In these current circumstances, one must pick a side. I stand unhesitatingly and unwaveringly with the women. Not out of virtue, or integrity, or high moral outrage — as much as I’d like to say so — but because late in life, I met one extraordinary woman with a particularly awful story to tell, who introduced me to other extraordinary women with equally awful stories. I am grateful to them for their courage, and inspired by them

Bourdain died in June of 2018, and in August of 2018, the New York Times reported that Argento was accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy. Argento later said, "I have not done anything that I'm accused of."

Today, Weinstein awaits a criminal trial which has been delayed until January, and he has pleaded not guilty to charges of rape and predatory sexual assault. After Farrow's reporting and Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey's reporting in the New York Times in 2017, The Weinstein Company's board fired him and many other women have come forward with accusations against the producer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2019 12:20 AM

Was Bourdain murdered???

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 7:54 PM

R1 I wouldn’t be surprised

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 8:00 PM

I heard that he was also working to expose Epstein, and if that's the case, I completely believe Bourdain was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 8:03 PM

What about Asia? Is she in jail yet?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 8:11 PM

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark with AB's death. Don't buy suicide for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 8:38 PM

Didn't epstein have an apartment in paris? And isn't that where AB died?

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2019 12:09 AM

Aren't there rumors that Weinstein has connections to Mossad, Israel Intelligence? It's strange that Weinstein had Bourdain killed, but then stopped shortly afterwards and let models and starlets get the ball rolling resulting in his brother turning his back on him (after their mother died).

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2019 12:15 AM

And then he tried silence the victim of his pedo girlfriend

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2019 12:17 AM

Wow way too much happened today In the news, I’m going to put this one aside for a day or two, but It’s not hard to believe he was silenced.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2019 12:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!