Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gov. Cuomo Signs Bill That Closes A Trump Pardon Loophole

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a measure Wednesday that would allow the state to pursue charges against people who have received a presidential pardon — a law seen as a direct shot at President Donald Trump. Multiple ex-Trump aides or associates are imprisoned or facing legal scrutiny in New York.

The president, whose business and campaign are both headquartered in New York, also is facing numerous federal, state and congressional investigations related to his administration, campaign and business dealings. The change takes effect immediately.

“With the President all but pledging to corruptly abuse his pardon power to allow friends and associates off the hook, it is crucial that we have closed the Double Jeopardy loophole and preserved the rule of law in New York,” Democratic state Sen. Todd Kaminsky, who sponsored the legislation, said in a statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2019 2:07 AM

I swear, CA and NY are the only liberal states that seem willing to use the power of state’s rights to lead on liberal causes. Every other blue state just seems to wait for those two before doing important shit. Couple of exceptions can be stated for WA and Organ for advancing vote from home measures that should be the national standard.

On the other side, conservative states trip over themselves to be the first to pass the most arcane legislation.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 8:35 PM

Where is this state of Organ? I want to go there. Are all the men hung like bulls?

LOL, I'm sorry, but it had to be done.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 8:36 PM

I deserved it r2! 😘 Yes, the men are hung. Sadly there is a sever shortage of bottoms. You should visit.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 8:38 PM

R1 That's not entirely true. Case in point: marijuana legalization. Massachusetts and Connecticut have both fully legalized it, while New York is still in the process of incremental decriminalization (so that the pigs can continue to arrest black people for smoking it). Or on transparency of abuses by police against civilians. Most states are much more transparent (even many red states) whereas New York has some of the most draconian censorship laws in the country. Sure, New York leads the way on a lot of issues, but it is by no means the only leader and, in fact, falls behinds many states.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 8:40 PM

I'm on my way, like the wind!

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 8:40 PM

All great points r4.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 8:55 PM

This'll dampen Trump's willingness to pardon people; hell, he's probably thinking he can pardon himself the moment before he'd leave office. That put the kibosh on that idea. Hopefully other states where Trump has done business will have a similar law on the books so he can't think he has a way out.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 9:38 PM

Good!

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2019 12:06 AM

I swear I read this bill was signed back in May.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2019 12:40 AM

I want New York state to eat Trump and his family alive.

Trump has to be held accountable for his actions.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2019 12:45 AM

Thanks, Gov -- your dad would be proud of you! Sorry to hear about you and Sandra Lee breaking up, though -- too many lousy meals?

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2019 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!