Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tax assessor inspection tomorrow

I’d appreciate suggestions for making my house look less valuable.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote] I’d appreciate suggestions for making my house look less valuable.

Be present during the inspection.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 4:59 PM

Present (unwashed) hole

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 5:01 PM

Place a pier mirror in front of at least 2.5 bathrooms.

Start your fireplace with the flu closed.

Use your non-exterior vent on your island grill.

Wear heels so he knows it’s pergo.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 5:06 PM

R1–I intend to be there and I’ve picked my outfit which is all Hanes, dingy white, all full of holes.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 5:06 PM

Um, the word you're looking for is "flue."

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 5:32 PM

Donald Trump is the master of tax evasion, you'll have to ask him.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 6:23 PM

From what I gather, you have nothing to worry about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 6:37 PM

I tried to “ugly down” my house - didn’t work. They really just care about square footage. I spent a ton of time and money on it because my house was sold for 60% of neighbors but my taxes were only 10% less. Saved about $500 year. Waste of time - mainly because it’s largely illogical and it’s a mind numbing bureaucracy

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 6:57 PM

Where do you live where they come to inspect your house instead of using sales data? I have never heard of such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 8:49 PM

It’s a town-wide re-assessment required by state law (NJ). The purpose is to make sure taxes are allocated fairly—for example to reflect if one part of town has appreciated more than another. Property taxes are very high in NJ. They don’t rely on sales data because some homes have not been sold in decades.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 9:23 PM

Just a little spritz here and there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 9:50 PM

They care about square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms, and things that are impossible to change on short notice.

Go ahead and present hole. But it's pearls before swine.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 9:52 PM

This is why CA is interesting. Taxes are never reassessed while you live there. Weird and inefficient. Like an owners version of rent control. But also horrible schools.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Drywall is cheap, why not just seal off a bathroom or fireplace and rip it off once the inspector leaves?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 1:56 AM

He didn’t show. He set the time, and just blew me off.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 10:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!