Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you been to Pret A Manger in The USA? What do you make of it?

I've been going to the London PAMs for years and they're the best of their kind here, I was just wondering how they fit into the fast food scene over there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 2:08 AM

Terrible and overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 2:19 PM

Different selection than in London.

Sandwiches taste different - in the same way that UK chocolate and other foods taste different from American - a combination of different ingredients and slight customization for local tastes.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 2:30 PM

I've been to ones in London and NYC (I've never seen one in my part of the US.) The concept is the same; the food is somewhat different. I like both of them -- great option for a quick bite or when you're by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 4:01 PM

How’s it pronounced?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 8:01 PM

They're all over the place in downtown DC. Agree it's overpriced for what it is, although I'd go more with "mediocre" than "terrible."

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 8:04 PM

pret, just as it is spelled, a monger with a hard gair rather than a ga sound of a soft g.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 8:09 PM

A better selection of snacks than most airport convenience venues, but very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 8:10 PM

A better selection of snacks than most airport convenience venues, but very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 8:11 PM

I didn't care for them in London, but I haven't tried them here in the States. It's just a shoppe that sells very plain sandwiches. I've always presumed it may have originated in Paris. Never understood the attraction other that presumed consistency

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 8:12 PM

You are a stupid piece of shit fucker for even asking this. I hope you get AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 8:13 PM

It's terrible. Any local grocer does the same for far less $$.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 8:13 PM

OP why don’t you just ask if anyone has been to a McDonalds?

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 8:15 PM

You can get a much better sandwich at any market that also makes sandwiches, same in the UK. Hell, you could buy a loaf of bread, mayo and sliced meat for the price of a sandwich ready made in London or NYC. UK loaf bread is so much better than in the US. All the many shaped loafs with oversized slices but they all taste the same. Of course, UK supermarkets are only feeding a population that barely 1/5 that of the US, so that may explain a lot.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 8:17 PM

r4 prett'-ah-mahn-ZHAY

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 8:21 PM

They have only one in L.A. at LAX, and only one at the airport in Vegas and one at the Charlotte, NC airport. All the others are in the north east and Chicagoland. They must be having trouble getting into airports because there are so many other airports they'd do better business in than Charlotte, NC.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 8:22 PM

It’s the Olive Garden of sandwich shops.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 8:30 PM

Went to one, once, when I worked in midtown. I wasn’t impressed, and there are better places to spend money on tastier food. Sorry.

Off-topic: whatever happened to Cosi?

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 8:31 PM

Their tuna fish sandwiches are very salty. I’m just crossing the street to my office, not riding the mayflower for two months. No need for all the salt.

It’s convenient but overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 8:36 PM

Nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote]pret, just as it is spelled, a monger with a hard gair rather than a ga sound of a soft g.

Ummm, thanks for playing.

See r14

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 8:47 PM

I would pronounce it the French way (like R14.) Maybe it's pronounced differently in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 9:55 PM

The English used to like to pronounce French wrongly. Apparently Churchill, who spoke good French, loved making DeGaul angry by pronouncing French words as if they were English.

And as for this shoppe, in NYC , I've liked their soups. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 10:20 PM

"pruhta-monger", fast, as one word

and pronounce douchebro as "doo-SHEH-broe"

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]The English used to like to pronounce French wrongly. Apparently Churchill, who spoke good French, loved making DeGaul angry by pronouncing French words as if they were English.

And you pissed him off by misspelling his name.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 10:25 PM

In the USA, I don't know.

We have it in Paris.

It is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 10:32 PM

Went to one in Manhattan a few years ago. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 10:37 PM

Honestly, you are better off going to McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 10:53 PM

Ugh- they are piping up w everywhere in the northeast US. Bland, little to no filling, processed. But low calories and at train station, so I get it. Better than Au Bon Pain or other US chains.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!