Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Was In Starbucks

buying a $10 cup of coffee with other millennials, who for some reason can afford a $10 cup of coffee, but can't afford to move out of their parents home.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2019 11:22 PM

I'm a 53 year old eldergay accountant. I do some gig work for a very successful couple with 4 kids. They annoyingly commingle personal and business expenses so they pay me to separate funds. If I told you they spend an average of $38 a day on Starbucks would you think I'm crazy? They do. And less than 7% is barely justifiably for the business. They go morning, noon, and night and put it all the company card. Almost $14,000per year on Starbucks. I'm not fucking kidding. It's their money but that's just vulgar and sickening to me. Make a better cup at home and donate $13 grand to the homeless, douches. Quintessential consumer whores. I hate them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 9:32 AM

Even worse than buying a $10, is buying a SHIT STARBUCKS $10 coffee.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 9:42 AM

I hate to tell you cunts, but the way other people live their lives, including how they spend their money, providing it doesn't affect yours, is none of your fucking business!

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 9:51 AM

Well, you made your point so nicely, R3. That's what counts.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 10:05 AM

I agree, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 10:09 AM

$10 dollars for Starbucks? Are you in an EU Starbucks? In America, even a Latte is around $5

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 10:23 AM

R1 here again. Sorry...I forgot to add that their annual charitable contributions on $3 million dollars profit is $0. Nada. Nothing. They're mad they can't deduct private school tuition and association fees for their clubs so until the givernment is "fair" they won't make contributions to charities. I talked to them about. They got defensive about how hard they work and they "just don't have it".

I know, right?

Capitalism is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 10:50 AM

They must love you detailing their budget in a public forum, R7!

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 11:02 AM

OP is a sad troll. FF and move on. x

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 11:04 AM

$38 per day? And it's lousy coffee! Shitty baked goods, too.

Have they ever been to a good, non-corporate coffee place, maybe the type that roasts their own beans?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 11:13 AM

OP doesn’t know the difference between Millennial and Gen Z. Millennials are old now.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 11:23 AM

Sorry, is there some unwritten rule that you have to give a certain percentage of your wage to charity? It's not the middle ages, we're not tithing. Sounds like you're jealous your client earns more than you. It's his money to do with what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 11:45 AM

I have 3 Starbucks accounts, 1 personal, 2 for business uses, currently my star balances are 450, 682,158 stars. That's enough for ordering 8 drinks, or 6~8 breakfast/lunch sandwiches. And tomorrow I will have more stars coming to my cards...

Starbucks are too sweet for my taste, I prefer making my own coffee at home, so all those stars just sitting there most of the time. And sometimes I use the stars to order a pour over dripping blonde roast, seem like an awful way to redeem the rewards.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 11:48 AM

This is true, people can spend their money how they wish, its a "free country" as they say, the issue isn't 10 dollar (or 5 dollar) coffees, it's that we're turning into a nation of Mr. Potters instead of a nation of George Baileys - or Scrooges, before the visit. The ideal of being a good citizen, a friendly neighbor, and a charitable individual is quickly disappearing. We eldergays can wax poetic about Saturday morning cartoons, Classic Hollywood, or Grandma's cooking, but the thing to truly lament is the loss of empathetic society. Making 3 million dollars a year, and then being able to justify giving none to charity takes some cold stones. Not anyone Id want to know..... Kind of like our President.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 1:17 PM

hey eldergay accountant, how do I report someone to IRS? He is an asshole and makes a lot of cash, which i'm sure he doesn't report fully. Was info do I need? I only have his name and probably phone number. He also has a small biz where he's the owner and no employee. Pretty sure he abuses that. write everything off as business expense etc.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 1:54 PM

R3 = R1’s “very successful couple with 4 kids”, client.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote] I Was In Starbucks

[quote] buying a $10 cup of coffee with other millennials

Who's the fool in this scenario: the guy who spends his hard-earned money on Starbucks, or the youngsters who get someone else to buy it for them?

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 2:09 PM

You don't know how those people spent the rest of their day or money. Many of them could very well have donated or done good works, they'd not have to inform you of it. Even if they didn't, it's not your business.

When you spend all of your time concentrating on what others do and have, you're guaranteed a life of solitude and misery. Don't do that to yourself, OP. Drink your coffee, enjoy the flavor and appreciate that you're able to afford the splurge, when others might not.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 2:18 PM

That $10 cup of coffee is likely:

a). a very small cup b). filled up to the 2/3 mark, at best c). if it's a cold drink, filled to the brim with ice

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 2:43 PM

The problem is not spending $10 on a coffee or even $38 a day as r1 noted.

The problem is that the vast majority of people operate on a feast-or-famine basis. When flush, they spend like there is no tomorrow, then tomorrow eventually comes and we are asked, no begged, to think of the children and have pity on people who over-spent, under-saved, and want to file bankruptcy.

The biggest drivers to bankruptcy are the 3-Ds: Death, Divorce, and Disease (health care). However, the first two can often be managed if proper planning had occurred (obviously, I'm talking about the $10 starbuck's drinkers).

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 2:44 PM

For every millionaire consumer, there's a sniveling accountant in the background bitching about their spending habits.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 2:56 PM

hey speaking of donation, which charity is better? Goodwill or housing works? I have a bunch of stuff to donate

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 2:57 PM

You lot are so stupid, DID YOU READ THE OP?

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 3:20 PM

It becomes "my business" when these people ask for handouts to pay off their student loans or raise my taxes to fix their bad choices.

People do not understand how to sort things into "must do's" and "nice-to-do's." There's no excuse for spending money on tattoos, cigarettes, drugs, Starbucks, jewelry, overpriced flashy clothes and shoes, or other frivolous items when you can't pay your rent or buy healthy food.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 3:40 PM

yes, you always see the "poor" people with the latest nike shoes and other flashy bags and clothing.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 3:42 PM

I’d rather spend $5 on a latte then $12 on a cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 3:48 PM

Starbucks coffee may not be that great but at least they give health insurance to all their employees and even cover some college tuition ( I can't remember) so if you have to spend money on coffee, they aren't that bad.

Fucking Jeff Bezos will be getting rid of health insurance for part time employees at whole foods...pretty soon, only people who work at whole foods are part time...fucking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 3:53 PM

Am I the only one who picks up his pace approaching their Starbucks' door when some fatties are also waddling up? Because you just know it gonna be orders of elaborate tubs of sugary confections and idle chit chat with the barista and much digging and rooting and emptying of the purse for exact change. Faaaaaaack!

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2019 4:00 PM

It's not that believable that a 53-year-old accountant has only now run into a client who acts like that about their money. They sound awful but are any other rich people or corporations in the US that much better? Also the $14,000 figure for Starbucks is if they work 7 days a week and even on holidays which I'm sure they don't, which an accountant would notice especially if they were putting the coffee on the company credit card.

And you may think that so what, he just multiplied $38 by roughly 365, but what kind of accountant would be so imprecise? Their actual total per year would be more like $9000, meaning he exaggerated by close to 40%.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2019 4:11 PM

They probably bought sandwiches or other food items at starbucks. He's probably just adding up all the bills at Starbucks which adds up to whatever that figure he said it was.

Starbucks is not that evil.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2019 4:14 PM

[quote] You lot are so stupid, DID YOU READ THE OP?

Yes but it was too high level for me to understand.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2019 4:17 PM

[quote]the thing to truly lament is the loss of empathetic society

We never had it. This whole thread sounds like Reagan's "welfare queen" myth which was 40 years ago, and Elton John's "times are changing, now the poor get fat" was nearly 50 years ago, and Republicans have been complaining about social services via the New Deal since the 1940s. Before that Hoover railed against "the welfare state" in the 1920s. The government fought benefits for WWI veterans and workers compensation laws for years. The entire 1800s was characterized by a lack of relief for the poor because it would cause "permanent paupery," the same argument we hear today. Eugenics and Darwinism and Puritanism were all used at various points by governments and churches alike to deny assistance.

Things weren't better back then. They've been either halfway decent at the best, outright inhumane at the worst.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2019 4:21 PM

You can make your own "Starbucks" at home with coffee, chocolate milk, flavorings, etc. Take it with you in a thermos and save money.

I make a pitcher of 1/2 coffee and 1/2 SlimFast cappuccino-flavored shakes. Then parse it out in a smaller bottle. I like it on ice, but if you want it hot just microwave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2019 5:02 PM

Goodwill is NOT a charity, r22.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2019 6:11 PM

R8 My detailing their coffee habits, anonymously, is nothing compared to the wage theft, insurance fraud, and tax evasion they engage in. Feel free to defend the indefensible. I've spent six months and nearly a thousand bucks on legal advice trying to determine whether my I'm obligated to blow the whistle on them or if I can just move on. The business, by the way, is a visiting nurse/home health aide association. Among the most corrupt type of business there is, in my experience. Watch your wallet when dear mother gets old.

If more CPAs spent more time educating and correcting their clients about moral fiscal responsibility and less time cooking the books for crooks we'd all be better off as a society. Corporate financial abuse is abhorrent.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2019 10:25 PM

yes, many cash businesses keep 2 sets of books. How do we catch them? what to look for?

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2019 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!