Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just re-listened to Abba's Pop Masterpiece "Arrival"

One great song after another. Why can't they make music like this anymore???

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 2:45 PM

Anyone with an ounce of hip despised ABBA at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 3:02 AM

^^^ Most likely and only in the USA. Everywhere else the group was greatly admired, scoring consecutive #1's everywhere (8 in a row in UK alone). If you don't believe me ask Bono ... right after performing "Dancing Queen" at the Wembley and bowing in front of the two male members of ABBA saying "We are not worthy!"

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 3:14 AM

There was a bit of a backlash, even in Europe (I know, I was a teenager there in the 80s.) For about 10 years, 1982-1992, they were largely forgotten, at least in the media. Then, the new generations rediscovered them and ABBA were just as popular as ever. A lot of artists from different genres started quoting ABBA as major influence and the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 3:21 AM

Yes in the 80's there was backlash everywhere. Not in the 70's though, when they were elevated to almost Bealtes like status (except the US). I was unrepentent ABBA fan since "Waterloo" and a Swedish friend of mine after "Gold" and "Mamma Mia" reflected "do you remember when we used to laugh at you". Some people just know what is good whereas others have to be told.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 3:41 AM

Their last album, The Visitors, is fantastic, although a bit dark. I like the unreleased songs, Dreamworld, Under my Sun, Every Good Man. It's Frida for me, their last TV appearance as a group, in Germany on Show Express, had a very Pro Frida audience. Shouts of Frida, Frida! during Cassandra and The Day Before you came. Frida was half German, indeed the only non Swedish member of the group.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 3:53 AM

R1 is right.. They also despised everything from the Carpenters to disco. This is a good reason to take no notice of the self-consciously hip.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 4:48 AM

Indeed the "Visitors" is not only fantastic but the most mature album released by the other Fab Four. It is very unfortunate that the fans did not embrace the grown up chapter. The previous one "Super Trouper" was probably their last commercially sucesfull effort. The Winner Takes It All and The Day Before You Came are true masterpieces. Personally, I have always prefered Agnetha over Frida.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 6:33 AM

Indeed the "Visitors" is not only fantastic but the most mature album released by the other Fab Four. It is very unfortunate that the fans did not embrace the grown up chapter. The previous one "Super Trouper" was probably their last commercially sucesfull effort. The Winner Takes It All and The Day Before You Came are true masterpieces. Personally, I have always prefered Agnetha over Frida.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 6:33 AM

The song "The Visitors" is my favorite dance song.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 2:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!