Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Booker Prize Drama! Backlash after prize is awarded to TWO authors, marginalizing the woman of color!

The Booker prize judges’ decision to break the rules (the ones they set) and jointly award the prize to Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo has been criticised, with detractors pointing out that the first black woman ever to win Britain’s most prestigious literary award has had to share it – while receiving HALF the usual money! Should wealthy author Margaret Atwood have refused the prize money and honors for the much poorer, less famous author?

Evaristo becomes the first black woman, and the first black British writer, to win the Booker since it was launched in 1969. She said after the announcement: “I hope that honour doesn’t last too long. I hope other people come forward now”, and thanked the judges, who include “two women of colour, making history”. Asked if she would have preferred to win the full £50,000, she said: “What do you think? Yes, but I’m happy to share it. That’s the kind of person I am.”

Others condemned the decision. Sunny Singh, co-founder of the Jhalak prize for the best book by a writer of colour, said she was furious at the news, while a former Booker judge, who asked to remain anonymous, said they felt it was a “huge disappointment that the chance to make history emphatically was passed by”.

Sam Leith, another former Booker judge, called the decision to split the prize an “epic fail”, which sets “a rotten, rotten precedent” and is “unfair on both authors”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 5:21 AM

Very clumsy.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 11:53 PM

ask to be written into the will of the other ... then be patient for a very short time

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 11:53 PM

Is "Bernardine" one of those noisy Discretionary Transvestites we're hearing about all the time now?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

Annoying black people, most of them must politicize every fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

Team Both Authors.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 11:56 PM

Will they go back and give half the award retroactively to Salman Rushdie for SHAME? That year, it was a tie between him and Coetzee for Life and Times of Michael K, and Fay Weldon, who was chair, was finally told by the committee to go with the Rushdie. On the phone, 30 minutes before the ceremony, she flipped their decision and announced the Coetzee. Rushdie never stopped complaining about it. I actually thought it was silly for the Nobels to announce a 2018 winner and a 2019 winner this year--is there any meaningful instinct in there?

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 11:58 PM

No one reads books anymore. But we'll watch the TV version.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 11:58 PM

They should have said, "You're right. We shouldn't have split it. Atwood gets it alone. Good luck next time, whatsyername."

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 12:02 AM

Hey, I have no problem with it!

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 12:04 AM

If you haven’t read Margaret Atwood’s “The Testaments”, get it. It’s worthy of the award and it’s an astonishing, perfect follow up to “Handmaid’s Tale”, which was shortlisted for the Booker in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 12:29 AM

OHHHH... so Atwood hasn't won the Booker prize before?

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 12:34 AM

R11, she has, for The Blind Assassin.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 12:36 AM

Ah, I see. I haven't read that one. They have Handmaid's Tale assigned in uni English classes though, for a long while now (although frankly I never understood why having kids reading dystopian fiction was supposed to help them want to read more - I hated those books).

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 12:40 AM

Kids shouldn't be forced to read dehumanizing fiction. Life is bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 12:54 AM

The whole things reeks of PC crap - we have to have a person of color in on this...…..such bullshit! Just give it to the best person regardless of what their color is.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 12:59 AM

Arts organizations are filled with SJW non-profit types who live and breathe their own WOKENESS, and are hyper aware of race, class, color and gender. I imagine if both authors were white there would only have been one winner. Just my hunch.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 1:29 AM

R16. Actually, a fair number of commentators said before hand that the Evaristo was the best of the short list, but probably wouldn't win. I think it's more likely that they included Atwood both as a nod to her politics and as a consolation for being passed over once more for the Nobel.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 1:42 AM

She should have gotten the prize... a chance to make history??? So sick of this PC shit

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 1:48 AM

r17 it's supposed to be a very good book, too.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 10:46 PM

It's a prize. These people aren't owed anything. How strange to think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 10:52 PM

r19. r17 here. Yes, the columns I read before the awards were announced focused on the quality at the writing as making it the most deserving of the shortlist. Given the fact that other people of color (albeit not women of color) have won the Booker, I'd be surprised if their decision to give it Evaristo was based on anything other than their sense of the book's merit. Rushdie, Ishiguro, Naipaul, and other writers of color have won--there's a stronger tradition of multiculturalism in the Booker than in the Pulitzer in the US.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 11:19 PM

They should be forced to see "Slave Play." It will be their punishment.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 1:01 AM

r21 yeah it's the state of the modern world where people are trying to bully or shame others into doing what they think should be done for whatever political reasons, rather than because the material was good.

Don't publishers have to submit their novelists for the Booker prize, too?

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 2:28 AM

Everything about the lead photo says "Live, from New York, It's Saturday Night!"

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 3:02 AM

Curious detail from Evaristo’s Wikipedia page:

“Evaristo was a radical lesbian in the 1980s but she says that her sexuality changed subsequently. She is now married to a man she met online in 2006.”

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 3:19 AM

What exactly is a "radical Lesbian"?

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 3:30 AM

Radical Lesbians never shave armpits and they free-bleed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 4:49 AM

Whatever happened to the gracious "thank you"?

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 4:54 AM

R28, what am I missing? her response to winning seems gracious to me.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 5:01 AM

Shouldn't they have an odd numbered jury, so there isn't a tie?

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 5:12 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 5:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!