Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Millennials are settling in America's small towns

I'm not sure if I believe this article. It seems to be written from the perspective of a Middle America frau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 4:22 PM

For those with paywall block from WSJ:

Smithsburg, Md.

On a Saturday afternoon in late September, I observed my 6-year-old son repeatedly doing two things we’ve always told him not to do: run into the street and pick up candy off the ground. We were watching the annual tractor parade roll down Main Street here, inhaling the festive atmosphere along with a fair amount of diesel fumes. The parade features more than 100 steam- and gas-engine tractors (most of them with riders tossing candy) and is the highlight of Smithsburg’s annual Steam Engine and Craft Show.

In this town of about 3,000, the weekend of the fair is a big deal. It draws visitors from all around Maryland’s Washington and Frederick counties. This was only the second year we’ve gone to the parade. Last year we barely knew anyone. This year we ran into more than a half-dozen people we knew through school or youth sports. Some were simply friends we’ve made in the community. One of them invited us to watch the parade on her front porch. As we left that evening for the five-minute drive home through mostly farmland and woods, I smiled and thought, “This is why we moved here.”

For the fourth consecutive year, U.S. census figures have shown that thousands of millennials and younger Gen Xers are leaving big cities. Since 2014 an average of about 30,000 residents between 25 and 39 have left big cities annually. My husband and I left Washington, D.C., for the suburbs more than a decade ago because of affordability issues. Now I believe we’re in the next new trend of workers with mobile jobs: moving to a small town to improve our quality of life.

According to a survey by the freelance marketplace Upwork Inc., people who freelance or have jobs they can take with them are more likely to move out of urban job centers to places that cater to their lifestyles. It’s one of the reasons places like Boise, Idaho, and Charlotte, N.C., are seeing faster population growth than most big cities. When we packed up and headed for farm country 70 miles outside Washington, my husband and I took our son, cat and jobs with us.

Raising a small child in a major metro area can be grueling. Paying for child care is like taking out a second mortgage. Weekend activities often require far more planning than they’re worth. Any parent knows that leaving the house with an obstinate toddler requires reserves of emotional strength. Add the near-certainty of hitting traffic, struggling to find parking, and waiting in long lines, and each trip requires a stockpile of fortitude.

When it came time to leave the city, our priorities were simple: We wanted to live in a town with good schools and in a house on a lot 3 acres or larger. My husband and I were both able to work from home four days a week, so we cast a wide net around the Washington area.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 10:31 PM

That’s how we ended up here. We now live in a house that could swallow our old house whole, with acreage to spread out and start long-talked-about projects. We’ve acquired pigs, chickens and, most recently, a puppy. We live next door to a winery with owners our age and whose property we can stroll to on paths cut through fields. Our other neighbors have a herd of goats from which we have a 5-gallon bucket of frozen milk. My fall project is to learn how to make goat-milk soap.

The seasons actually change here. The mountainsides are awash in fall colors. In the winter, the snow creates a quiet, white blanket over the land and stays around to be enjoyed instead of melting into dirty sidewalk slush. In the spring and summer, the fields come to life again and we marvel at how fast the corn grows. Once people get here, the speed and intensity of city life loses its hold over them.

Of course, we’ve had to make adjustments. Washington County is a conservative and rural part of Maryland, so we’ve traded cultural diversity for economic diversity. Eighty percent of the population (including us) is non-Hispanic white. Nearly 14% live in poverty, a rate almost twice that of our old suburb.

There have been lifestyle trade-offs, too. Eating at a good restaurant now requires a 30-minute drive. But going apple picking is something we do at an orchard on the way home from school. I miss being able to walk to our neighborhood playground or the nearby yogurt shop. But I love ambling around our property here, or driving to the local creamery and watching my son play with school friends on its playground.

Perhaps most important, we have psychological as well as physical space. I don’t wonder if I’ll find a parking spot at the grocery store or movie theater. I don’t reflexively check for traffic unless I’m getting on a highway. While playing in our backyard, I don’t feel hemmed in by trees and roof lines. I look up and feel the wide expanse of the open sky.

Before we moved, it had been years since I’d been to a parade. In crowded cities, they’re a pain. Who wants to deal with the hassle of parking and the crush of people trying to leave when it’s over? As children in pre-tech-boom Mountain View, Calif., my sister and I walked from our house to the main drag to watch the small parades the city would host. We often marched in the annual Halloween costume parade. In my memory, parades are simple and fun—a reason for a community to get together.

Living here, I’ve found that again.

Ms. Farmer is a journalist and fiscal policy expert.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 10:31 PM

Cheaper homes in small towns but where are the jobs?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 10:38 PM

R3, if you can work remotely it is doable.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 10:42 PM

I wonder how soon they get bored after moving to these small towns?

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 10:48 PM

It's the WSJ, so it's reliable.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 10:50 PM

I'm assuming these are all straights.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 10:56 PM

No thanks! I grew up in a small town and don't want to experience that again.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 10:57 PM

Dumpy places loooove to spread this false info.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 11:26 PM

A “fiscal policy expert” who couldn’t get a job, so she’s a mommy blogger?

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 11:27 PM

I made this move in 2006. I moved to a smaller southern city with a decidedly suburban feel. I know my neighbors. I was able to afford a house instead of a condo.

As with others here my work allowed me to work from home. I travel to clients when it is needed. I left the northeast big city behind with no regrets.

This is a real option. And in a world where jobs are plentiful many professions have leverage in a negotiation to choose this option. And while it gives me many conveniences the irony is that I am a more productive consultant.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 11:53 PM

R11 are you guys, and if so, how is life as a gay person in a small town?

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 12:15 AM

I meant are you gay

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 12:21 AM

R12 yes I am gay and proud. We have three major universities and one of the most educated regions of the country. I should add to my comments earlier than looking at the demographics of where you are is important. College towns offer so much.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 2:28 AM

Come to Papa!

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 2:37 AM

I moved to a small town so that I could set up a supply chain for a meth ring in a major city. It’s been a major success!!

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 3:09 AM

There is literally no data in the article saying Millenials are going to small towns.

The only data point is this [quote]For the fourth consecutive year, U.S. census figures have shown that thousands of millennials and younger Gen Xers are leaving big cities. Since 2014 an average of about 30,000 residents between 25 and 39 have left big cities annually. [/quote]

30k over all cities nationwide is a drop in the bucket. And more important, I assume most of those people are leaving for suburbs, not small towns. Where is the data to justify their headline?!

Its clickbait at its worse. I was actually excited to dive into this article but there is no there there.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 3:22 AM

[quote]It's the WSJ, so it's reliable.

Not if it's the op-ed page. They wouldn't hesitate to run something that was designed to convince people that millennials are actually small-town conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 3:57 AM

I am happy the domesticated are leaving the urban areas. NYC, Chelsea was getting overrun by the stroller crowd. Keep your crotch goblins, massive strollers and I want to see the managers out of the gayborhood Karen.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 4:12 AM

Yeah, I want to see the proof of what this author asserts.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 7:31 AM

If you’re straight, white, and middle class, this will likely work well for you.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 8:50 AM

You need a fucking job in order to survive life. These moves to small towns only work for retired people who don't have to worry about that anymore. Most millennials are working age and most do not telecommute, so good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 4:08 PM

[quote] Cheaper homes in small towns but where are the jobs?

You can sell your home-made crafts at Etsy or get yourself a nice, innovative food truck and bring NY street food to the small towns.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote]I was able to afford a house instead of a condo.

I'd take a condo over a house any day. I don't have to shovel in the winter. Something breaks and I call the handyman. No need to mow anything, the common garden is landscaped. Gym? Check. Social room with movie theater? Check. Pool? Check and the bonus is I don't have to maintain it.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!