Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FRAU rages at neighbors over Halloween candy!!

A California woman's rant calling out her neighbors for handing out "cheap" Halloween candy went viral after she shared some choice words with her neighborhood watch Facebook group in Rancho Cucamonga.

The post, which someone took a screenshot of and was then shared on Twitter by BesetofNextdoor, starts out by saying, "Over the last three Halloweens, I've noticed candy stock has become more and more diluted with cheap candy. I don't know if this trend is the result of the higher bills or even the new constructions, but cheap candy has somehow infiltrated our community for Halloween and it has to stop."

She goes on to cite Dum Dums, Smarties and Jolly Ranchers as unacceptable. "And please, for God's sake, leave those Peep candies alone. No one, and I mean NO ONE, wants those terrible marshmallow tragedies," she writes.

"We are an affluent neighborhood and this status should be reflected in our candy provisions for Halloween. Standard full or KING size candy is the bar (pun intended) we set for our community on Halloween," she says.

For those who already purchased "fun size bars" for the holiday, the woman advises that they give trick-or-treaters four to six of them to equal a full candy bar.

The woman's three-paragraph post ends with an explanation of sorts: "It's a calculated loss to the trick-or-treaters after you adjust for inflation and the opportunity cost of what they could have received elsewhere if they had just skipped your house."

Twitter users were quick to respond to the rant, speculating that "the neighborhood kids got together to send a message."

According to the National Retail Federation’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, shoppers will spend an average of $86.27 on Halloween in 2019, totaling $8.8 billion spent overall in the U.S.

More specifically, $2.6 billion is predicted to be spent on Halloween candy in the U.S. However, if any houses want to really make their house worthwhile for trick-or-treaters, they can start by handing out 2019's most popular Halloween candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 1, 2019 4:09 PM

Her neighbors aren't having it... rofl!

[quote] Sounds like the neighborhood kids got together to send a message. — BluenoserGal (@dmallyon)

[quote] The person writing this is three children in a trenchcoat that has named itself Karen. — Noted (@Drachen808)

[quote] Candy Karen is not having it anymore with these weak-ass selections when she steals her kids’ Halloween loot! — Spooky Halloween appropriate name goes here.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote] She goes on to cite Dum Dums, Smarties and Jolly Ranchers as unacceptable. "And please, for God's sake, leave those Peep candies alone. No one, and I mean NO ONE, wants those terrible marshmallow tragedies,"

Oh, the humanity!

This woman is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 10:14 PM

How did this happen it’s not even Halloween yet?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 10:14 PM

Bitch is right. Do it proper.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 10:17 PM

Bitch gonna get egged and rolled!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 10:19 PM

[quote]Sounds like the neighborhood kids got together to send a message. — BluenoserGal (@dmallyon)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]How did this happen it’s not even Halloween yet?

The article says she started with, "Over the last three Halloweens, I've noticed candy stock has become more and more diluted with cheap candy." By critiquing past Halloweens, she is perhaps hoping to smack everyone into shape in time for this Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote] went viral after she shared some choice words with her neighborhood watch Facebook group in Rancho Cucamonga

I love how she felt that this "very important issue" needed to be shared with the neighborhood watch.

What a loon.

Does she realize what a neighborhood watch is for?

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 10:22 PM

"Does she realize what a neighborhood watch is for? "

Reporting Black people sightings, of course!

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 10:25 PM

It sounds like a scene from a John Waters movie. "No white shoes after labor Day!" - Camp!

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 10:25 PM

I'm tossing genuine epipens into their pillow cases, this year. They fell off the back of a truck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 10:27 PM

It has to stop!

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 10:30 PM

She can stick the mums she got at Costco and put oh so decoratively on the front porch of her affluent neighborhood straight up her ass. If I were her neighbors, I'd turn the lights off and draw the curtains and let her kids wander into traffic.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 10:35 PM

I simply must see a picture of the “no cheap candy!” frau

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 10:35 PM

A change from Nextdoor's usual racist bullshit and/or whining about one's neighbors in general.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 10:36 PM

There ARE no affluent neighborhoods in Rancho Cucamonga.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]I'm tossing genuine epipens into their pillow cases, this year. They fell off the back of a truck.

Will come in handy for those kids with peanut allergies who accidentally bite a Snickers.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 10:37 PM

Where is there any indication it’s actually a true story/post?

People have become so dumb - -

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 10:41 PM

Are Mary Janes on the market this year? Freshly made? They used to be made with real ingredients and if fresh, they were good!

The SAGA of NECCO is heartbreaking. This candy was cheap but IMO as a boy, I loved all NECCO products - they were simple and tasty.

Two months later, on July 24, 2018, Round Hill Investments announced that they had sold Necco to an unnamed candy manufacturer; the immediate closure of Necco's Revere facility was also announced.[2] About 230 workers were laid off when the Revere plant closed. At the time, Necco was the oldest candy company in the United States.[29] In July 2018, Necco workers were reportedly in high demand by other companies.[30] It was subsequently announced that the purchaser had been the Spangler Candy Company, who had backed out of the purchase months earlier.[3] They plan to restart manufacture of Necco wafers, Sweethearts and Canada Mints, but other Necco-owned brands would not be retained. The Clark Bar was sold in early September to Boyer Candy Company,[31] while other brands and equipment were disbursed at auction beginning September 26.[32] Candy buttons were bought by Doscher's Candies,[33] while Banana Split and Mint Juleps chews, along with Slap Stix lollipops went to the Reading, Pennsylvania-based Mega Candy Co.[34][35] Haviland Thin Mints and Mighty Malt Milk Balls were sold to Minnesota-based Log House Food.[36] Equipment and foodstock were disbursed internationally.[35] Some unclaimed brands, such as Sky Bar, would be sold in later online auctions.[37]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote] She goes on to cite Dum Dums, Smarties and Jolly Ranchers as unacceptable

How dare she!

I love Jolly Ranchers. They're nice and tart. Green apple is my fave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 10:44 PM

Reminds me of the year my husband was dressed as a zombie and we ran out of full size Hershey Bars. All we had left were jolly ranchers. The kids started pelting him with the jolly ranchers and he ran after them with his ax. He wasn't playing.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 10:47 PM

[quote]Are Mary Janes on the market this year? Freshly made? They used to be made with real ingredients and if fresh, they were good!

Mary Janes are only good for breaking teeth, loosening fillings and removing crowns.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 10:51 PM

[quote] Mary Janes are only good for breaking teeth, loosening fillings and removing crowns

Same goes for tootsie rolls.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote] For those who already purchased "fun size bars" for the holiday, the woman advises that they give trick-or-treaters four to six of them to equal a full candy bar

She's running quite the dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 10:54 PM

A full candy bar?

FAT KIDS REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 11:00 PM

I somewhat agree with her - there's a lot of shit, filler candy that nobody wants. Now, regular size and king size is outrageous.

The nasty black and orange wrapped peanut butter 'chews' were disgusting and a disappointment. So are raisins and pennies.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 11:09 PM

True, R26.

Everybody hates raisins and candy corn.

People love Snickers, Hershey's Kisses, Red Licorice, Chewing Gum, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 11:11 PM

She is a DLer at heart

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 11:11 PM

this story is a wind-up right?

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2019 11:12 PM

Bitching about cheap candy? She sounds like a DLer to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2019 11:15 PM

Candy corn used to be delicious. I guess not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2019 11:15 PM

[quote]Candy corn used to be delicious

Thanks, Methuselah.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2019 11:19 PM

Fake

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2019 11:19 PM

Like....this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2019 11:23 PM

This sounds like bullshit. Candy co pr.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2019 11:23 PM

You can buy organic candy corn but it has shellac in it, which is beetle poop.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2019 11:24 PM

I buy regular sized candy bars from Costco and give them out on Halloween

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote] How did this happen it’s not even Halloween yet?

She's telling them NOW, so she doesn't have to tell them THEN. She has stated her boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2019 11:28 PM

Whats wrong with beetle poop shellac?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2019 11:33 PM

She left out Circus Peanuts, the worst confectionery ever made. Bleccch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2019 11:35 PM

Fuck 'em. Let them eat wax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2019 11:39 PM

[quote] She left out Circus Peanuts, the worst confectionery ever made. Bleccch!

Circus Peanuts should never be handed out as Halloween candy. Some children have such strong peanut allergies that even circus peanuts can make them violently ill.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2019 11:40 PM

The dreaded Candy Corn can be used for other purposes, like pelting her bedroom window night after night...

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2019 11:41 PM

R42, do you promise?

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2019 11:42 PM

I totally agree with her about the Peeps shit.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote]You can buy organic candy corn but it has shellac in it, which is beetle poop.

I guess that makes them non-vegan?

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2019 11:45 PM

What’s so wrong? She is advocating for good, not cheap-ass Dollar store candy. For all children.

Finally, a frau I can get behind.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2019 11:48 PM

Someone should find a freshly used Porto potty or outhouse, and leave it on her lawn, tipped over, door side down, and leaking all over.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2019 11:52 PM

This finicky frau needn't worry about anyone handing out the much-despised Necco wafers anymore. The company went out of business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2019 11:53 PM

R47 - Amen, she's a hero. I wish some adult had the spine to speak up on my behalf when I was a child at Halloween. Fun size is fine - but don't go to the store and spend $3 on some 200 pack of candy even my dog wouldn't eat.

You either want the kids to stop by or you don't - if you aren't going to spend a few dollars on a national holiday, just keep your lights off.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2019 11:53 PM

You can get 'good' Halloween candy at the 99cent store...it may be irradiated, made in another country with questionable ingredients or could be some flavor they couldn't make happen here like anchovy Skittles but it's all 'good'.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

R19, I had a client in the Necco neighborhood for a spell, and the air there was sweet and joyful all year-round.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

She’s a massive elitist cunt, so of course Datalounge idolizes her.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

She's out of her mind. Jolly Ranchers are pretty good, and Smarties were my favorite Halloween candy as a kid. Forget chocolate and peanut butter candies, give me that sugar in its 100% pure pill form!

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 11:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 11:56 PM

We used to get hundreds of kids because we live in a second home community and when it was first built it was all local people who were here year round. 50 houses all together.

As the years have gone by though, people divorce, move, retire. The land has gone up so high in value that locals can't afford to buy here, so only about 20% of houses are year round now. I feel bad for the kids.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2019 12:05 AM

I used to trick or treat at Sam Giancana's house (he lived--and died--at the other end of the block). He had a welcome mat that said "GET OUT." If you rang the back donor bell, the housekeeper would reward you with a full-size. Box of Cracker Jacks. Happy days.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2019 12:20 AM

I live in Warren Buffett's neighborhood. In the old day's he'd hand out candy and cans of coke.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2019 12:22 AM

Ew, cracker jacks!

I forgot about those horrid things.

Talk about breaking your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2019 12:23 AM

Are you serious, R58?

Why would you throw a can of soda into a candy bag?

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 12:34 AM

It wasn't about the cracker jacks, r59......

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2019 12:36 AM

Cracker Jacks were fine.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2019 12:37 AM

She’s telling you now so that she doesn’t have to tell you later.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2019 12:46 AM

Cracker jacks were just candy coated popcorn and peanuts. No reason to break your teeth unless they were decayed.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2019 12:47 AM

I'll take all those Jolly Ranchers, Tootsie Rolls, and raisins that nobody else wants.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2019 12:48 AM

Tell that to Jack Lemmon, R64.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2019 12:51 AM

"Here, kid. Have a box of cereal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2019 1:00 AM

No Neccos anymore? What the heck are Catholic kids going to use now to play pretend Communion?

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2019 1:22 AM

Yep, R60-It's because Coca-Cola is one of Berkshire Hathaway's companies. I have a friend who grew up in the neighborhood who claims Warren used to give parents whole cases of Coke to take home. He's more of a recluse these days. His wife still does yard work, puts out recycling and a water dish for dogs, but I only see him rarely. There is now massive security surrounding the house. (He lives in a modest home that he purchased in the 1950s. Believe me, I am in a nice neighborhood, but by no means affluent.) Amusing anecdote: when an interior designer friend was visiting, she clucked her tongue telling Warren that his and his wife's kitchen needed updating. It was far too "'80s." His response was, "Why would we want to change it? We're in our 80s."

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2019 1:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2019 1:35 AM

She needs to get her privileged ass back to work. If she's ever really worked, that is.

[quote] The woman's three-paragraph post ends with an explanation of sorts: "It's a calculated loss to the trick-or-treaters after you adjust for inflation and the opportunity cost of what they could have received elsewhere if they had just skipped your house."

Being a stay-at-home mom clearly bores the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2019 1:35 AM

NECCO didn’t die a natural death. It was murdered by corporate raiders.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2019 1:42 AM

This thread inspires me to hand out shot glasses filled with corn syrup.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2019 1:47 AM

High fructose, r73.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2019 1:50 AM

I mean, it needs to be said. Some people are just so cheap. I grew up in a household where my parents would be appalled to give out those 3rd class cheap candy. Cheap bitches ruin everything. I agree with the mother. Plus Halloween is my second favorite holiday.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2019 2:44 AM

No cheap-ass Smarties from this frau-approved neighbor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2019 3:48 AM

We hated getting apples, so we'd hit that neighbor lady's house first, just to get it over with, then bring 'em back home, so we didn't have to lug 'em around all night.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2019 3:53 AM

She's not wrong. What is this sad shit you're inflicting on these kids, Rancho Cuchadressing.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2019 3:53 AM

I grew up in Rancho Cucamonga. It's a mix of classes and I laughed at R16 because they are right. "Affluent" usually meant the white trash newly rich neighborhoods above Haven Ave. They were huge houses but that's where a lot of super religious people lived. Catholics and their 10 children. We had a lot of Morons, too. When I grew up there, it was mainly white with a huge Samoan population, although we did have a lot of Hispanics but hardly any Black families.

Whoever this frau is, I bet she lives by Chaffey College and thinks she's rich because she can look down on the city with that view. Ugh, glad I got out. Although before it was so crowded, it was a very rural and charming place to live. Lots of adventures out in the Eucalyptus trees with my friends and spooky Halloweens where the houses were so spread out, we had a lot of time to think about scary shit before we approached the next one...

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2019 4:08 AM

This sounds like a Phil Hendrie skit, something Bobbie Dooley would come up with.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2019 4:35 AM

Is there such a thing as a fake doorbell that sprays sulphur mist? Or skunk urine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2019 4:46 AM

I like this version better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2019 4:48 AM

All I ever get is dirt.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2019 5:01 AM

I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2019 5:41 AM

I think her post is tongue in cheek full of candy.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2019 5:51 AM

I love this car wash cunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2019 6:43 AM

She should invite Aaron Carter to perform at the neighborhood block party!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2019 9:52 AM

I think it's pretty damned cheeky to send your kids door to door begging for candy and then complain about a perceived lack of quality.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2019 11:13 AM

R71, I think you’re right. My partner’s wealthy next door neighbor is now an almost empty nester, as her kids have gone to college. Now that she doesn’t haven’t her children to obsess over, she spends her time scrutinizing her neighbors and their property. This crazy frau now spends all her time researching the town’s planning and zoning laws and circulating petitions against neighbors who have “illegal” additions to their homes, “illegal” visitor parking (he lives near a beach), incorrectly drawn property lines, and other “quality of life” issues. I told my partner to stop humoring her by signing her petitions because someday he’s going to be on the receiving end of her wrath.

Long story short: let her rail against candy. It could be worse!

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2019 11:55 AM

We had a neighbor who gave out old ties and pencils with his company name on it. Hated the apples, pennies, and popcorn balls wrapped in plastic wrap. I give out bouillon cubes to the older kids without costumes but full size candy to the little ones with.

by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2019 12:35 PM

"I had an uncle who handed out puff pastry on Halloween."

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote]We are an affluent neighborhood and this status should be reflected in our candy provisions for Halloween.

Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2019 1:32 PM

Candy corn is delicious, you damn commies.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2019 1:35 PM

I love Circus Peanuts. Give them all to me. Necco-blecho.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2019 2:28 PM

[quote] Ew, cracker jacks! I forgot about those horrid things.

Kids used to line up for them, R59.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2019 3:30 PM

I loved those tooth chipping popcorn balls. Am I the only one?

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2019 3:38 PM

I was a rather fastidious child, so I hated getting those little Halloween "treat" bags that contained loose candy corn and other small candies that had obviously been touched by human hands. Into the trash!

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2019 3:44 PM

I did as well, r96.

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2019 3:46 PM

Better yet, turn your lights off, lock the doors, and let the little street urchins keep a'walkin'.

by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2019 3:53 PM

[quote]We hated getting apples, so we'd hit that neighbor lady's house first, just to get it over with, then bring 'em back home, so we didn't have to lug 'em around all night.

I thought people stopped giving out apples once they became known as vehicles for hidden razor blades.

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2019 3:54 PM

I would give that Frau's tribe toffee onions masquerading as toffee apples tbh.

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2019 5:11 PM

Enjoy, children of Rancho Cucamonga!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2019 6:06 PM

Why waste money on buying candy like that, when you can just steal sugar packs from fast-food restaurants and hand those out?

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2019 6:12 PM

Perfect for fall: Give them pumpkin pie Pop Tarts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2019 6:21 PM

R96. I collect vintage Hslliween decorations. I bought some of those little bags, and they STILL smelled like Hslliween candy.

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2019 7:11 PM

[quote] I give out bouillon cubes to the older kids without costumes

Sure.

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2019 7:14 PM

[quote] Why waste money on buying candy like that, when you can just steal sugar packs from fast-food restaurants and hand those out?

Thanks, Debbie Downer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2019 7:17 PM

[quote] I give out bouillon cubes to the older kids without costumes

I'm sure that some budding little culinary queen will thank you for that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2019 7:18 PM

Someone should go over and take a dump on her front porch.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2019 7:47 PM

[quote] Someone should go over and take a dump on her front porch.

I'm on the case!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2019 7:50 PM

We don't get many kids here so the few that do trick-or-treat get $1 bills.

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2019 8:12 PM

R111-where I grew up, we trick-or-treated on both the 30th and 31st. In addition to candy, neighbors gave out pennies, nickels, dimes and on rare occasion quarters. We'd divide up the neighborhood over two nights and knew where all the "money houses" were. We could take in several dollars, which to a kid back then was a small fortune. We did have to perform for the treats though- a song, poem or joke. When I tell people this, they think I grew up in the weirdest small town ever.

by Anonymousreply 112October 16, 2019 8:32 PM

I LOVE Smarties.

by Anonymousreply 113October 16, 2019 9:28 PM

Me too, R113.

Smarties and Jolly Ranchers are awesome.

This lady clearly doesn't know her candy. She seems to be choco-centric.

by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2019 9:32 PM

What an ingrate. Many I know don't even give out candy. They either don't bother coming to the door, or leave for the evening.

by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2019 9:35 PM

Hand out condoms and wire hangers.

by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2019 9:36 PM

You guys have given me some great ideas.

I think I'm going to hand out jello shots.

by Anonymousreply 117October 16, 2019 9:40 PM

In the Snickers ad, is that a Jocelyn Wildenstein mask?

by Anonymousreply 118October 16, 2019 9:43 PM

Add me to the list of Smarties and Jolly Rancher (except for watermelon, they taste like they've been sprayed with Pam) fans. I bet no one hands out the net bags with chocolate coins and wax lips or soda bottles anymore. Same with the popcorn balls. I did most of my trick-or-treating in the 80s at the height of the pins and razor blade panic, and eventually those items petered out. One year I was grounded from trick-or-treating and painted a picture to give to the first kid that came to our house (MARY!). I got to hand out candy, a terrible assignment for a 6 year old.

by Anonymousreply 119October 16, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote] I bet no one hands out the net bags with chocolate coins and wax lips or soda bottles anymore

Soda bottles are the most useless candy ever!

Pure wax, with a miniscule amout of liquid inside of them. What's the point??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 16, 2019 10:05 PM

Smooshing the wax, R120.

by Anonymousreply 121October 16, 2019 10:11 PM

R108, if he's a budding DL culinary queen, he will spit on your bouillon cube and curse you for not boiling down bones to make homemade stock and being too cheap to buy Swanson's Organic Beef Stock - a poor substitute but better than cubes.

by Anonymousreply 122October 16, 2019 10:15 PM

We don't get trick-or-treaters anymore, kids do it all in a local school gym/parking lot but my grandmother had this lady beat. She'd go ALL out, mostly chocolate mini bars, and other bags of mixed candies. Kids didn't get a single piece or a few, grandma prepped ziplock bags FULL of candy. Her house was on a long, dark side road and she had albums of pics of her with kids dressed up, serious traffic. Really miss her.

Also, on Easter a giant box from Russell Stover was always delivered. The woman loved her chocolate. One xmas her double layer Godivas were eaten entirely by the dog, everyone was pretty shocked he wasn't phased.

by Anonymousreply 123October 16, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote] One xmas her double layer Godivas were eaten entirely by the dog

Lol, did the dog die??

by Anonymousreply 124October 16, 2019 10:20 PM

R124 no, he was fine, years later it came out that his 'bickies' were Oreo cookies.

by Anonymousreply 125October 16, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote]There ARE no affluent neighborhoods in Rancho Cucamonga

I'm glad you think so, to better keep you riff raff out. Obviously you don't know the area.

by Anonymousreply 126October 16, 2019 10:35 PM

I presume the lady in question doesn't live anywhere near Kingshead Island?

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 127October 16, 2019 11:00 PM

R123

My childhood dog ate a good portion of a box of Godiva and was fine; he didn't even puke. I'm thinking Godiva must have very little actual chocolate in it.

by Anonymousreply 128October 16, 2019 11:26 PM

R120 You're supposed to be able to chew the leftover wax bottle like gum.

by Anonymousreply 129October 17, 2019 1:47 AM

I’m passing out condons and lube instead of candy.

by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2019 1:52 AM

R130 CONDOMS ROSE! CONDOMS!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2019 1:53 AM

r126 I definitely know the area. One of my best gay friends lives there. And he does have a beautiful house in a nice neighborhood. But I certainly wouldn't call it AFFLUENT. Strictly middle class.

by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2019 2:09 AM

I live there idiot. He doesn't live in the 1M+ homes area. Psst. It's in the hills.

by Anonymousreply 133October 17, 2019 2:59 AM

Chaffey College doesn't qualify as "In the hills." r133.

Spent many a night hanging out a the top of Haven Ave in my youth.

You must be new money...

by Anonymousreply 134October 17, 2019 3:37 AM

There are $1M homes in Azusa, too -- doesn't make it "affluent." San Marino is affluent.

by Anonymousreply 135October 17, 2019 3:42 AM

Then you don't know Rancho Cucamonga. There are affluent neighborhoods in R.C.., and no one said they were by the community college. And guess what there are poor areas of the city. Pssst. They are not near each other. Do you people even read? Neighborhood. No one said the whole city was affluent.

Perhaps you aren't aware what affluent is. It doesn't differentiate between old and new. The word you are looking for there is class. Something money can't buy. Now go back to your Lean Cuisine while pounding out that Grindr gnawing on your Necco Wafers desperately ooking for a "date" in your middle class condo room rental.

by Anonymousreply 136October 17, 2019 4:47 AM

[quote] Perhaps you aren't aware what affluent is. It doesn't differentiate between old and new. The word you are looking for there is class. Something money can't buy. Now go back to your Lean Cuisine while pounding out that Grindr gnawing on your Necco Wafers desperately ooking for a "date" in your middle class condo room rental.

Girls, girls.

You're BOTH ghetto cunts! Now shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 137October 17, 2019 5:02 AM

I love Jolly Ranchers, shut up lady!

by Anonymousreply 138October 17, 2019 5:12 AM

r3, MY THOUGHT EXACTLY. Social media has created a bunch of fake social interactions, confrontations, and just phony attention seeking people in general. Ughh LET THE 90S COMEBACK.

by Anonymousreply 139October 17, 2019 5:18 AM

Can't believe anyone thinks this is real.

by Anonymousreply 140October 17, 2019 5:19 AM

Ridiculously phony. Fraus don't virtue signal by complaining about cheap candy. To them, ALL candy is bad. They're much more likely to complain about Halloween in general because they don't want their kids to eat junk. This troll should have written a screed about how she expects her neighbors to hand out organic, artisan, locally grown kale chips. That I could believe.

by Anonymousreply 141October 17, 2019 5:31 AM

Halloween is the perfect time to distribute all the fast food condiment packets you’ve accumulated during the year: sweet tomato ketchup, tangy mustard, spicy taco sauce. For something a little more exotic, packets of lemon juice and artificial “honey sauce” offer a delightful change of pace for cheerful trick-or-treaters.

by Anonymousreply 142October 17, 2019 5:34 AM

Rofl R142, that is a fantastic idea!!

I have shit tons of those things in my fridge, and I want to get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 143October 17, 2019 5:36 AM

R142, not to mention packets of soy sauce, duck sauce and hot mustard from Chinese takeout.

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2019 6:21 AM

I wonder if the woman complaining goes through her kids Halloween candy stash, looking for chocolate bars. Maybe that is why she is demanding large size bars.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2019 6:29 AM

I saw mini packs of Goldfish at the grocery store, with all the candy bars. Who the hell would hand out Goldfish at Halloween??

by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2019 8:11 AM

[quote] There ARE no affluent neighborhoods in Rancho Cucamonga.

It's the Beverly Hills of the Inland Empire. Oh wait -- that's Temecula.

It's the Palms of the Inland Empire...

by Anonymousreply 147October 17, 2019 8:21 AM

Calabasas is the GHETTO!

by Anonymousreply 148October 17, 2019 6:30 PM

One could slip little dieting tip booklets into the trick-or-treaters' bags...

by Anonymousreply 149October 17, 2019 7:28 PM

Trick OR treat....my trick is to shut the light off, leave a sign that says "OUT OF CANDY" on the front steps, and a recording of a dog barking.

We have an epidemic of obesity. I'm also not amused by crotch fruit in stupid costumes or jumping up from a good book to see them and their complaining frau parents just because they think it's some 'tradition'. It's not. I know the real tradition and it has absolutely nothing to do with children being obnoxious in mass manufactured costume and expecting free shit. I used to be a good sport, but times have changed.

I stopped handing out halloween treats the year one little girl gave me back the candy bar (Snickers!) and asked to see what else I had.

by Anonymousreply 150October 17, 2019 7:36 PM

I always buy lots of big Reese's Peanut Butter Cups .... but no children trick or treat in my neighborhood. Then I'm stuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 151October 17, 2019 7:41 PM

If you're 'always' buying it after this realization, R151, then I think we know you are not 'stuck' with anything but a few extra pounds of weight gain courtesy of your denials. Funny how we do that. I always try to be prepared with my favorite too.

by Anonymousreply 152October 17, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote] r152 If you're 'always' buying it after this realization, then I think we know you are not 'stuck' with anything

I think one should be prepared.

What would I say if some little kids did show up? "Sorry, you weren't here the last few years, so fuckin' TOUGH IT!!" [italic](slam)

by Anonymousreply 153October 17, 2019 8:09 PM

I guess I could hand out dollar bills, should anyone show up ....

Can you even BUY a candybar for $1.00, now? Maybe I'd need to drop $2.00 in the (possibile) bag.

I will say trick or treating should happen at night. That's the phantasmagorical element. It irks me to see kids trick or treating when the sun's still out. We're celebrating the longest night of the year! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!

by Anonymousreply 154October 17, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote]We have an epidemic of obesity. I'm also not amused by crotch fruit in stupid costumes or jumping up from a good book to see them and their complaining frau parents just because they think it's some 'tradition'. It's not.

You sound like a real joy to be around, R150.

by Anonymousreply 155October 17, 2019 9:15 PM

Kind of defeats the purpose of being a 'real' witch, R155, doesn't it?

The kid who wanted 'better' candy, like OP's subject mother, are your real joys to the world.

by Anonymousreply 156October 17, 2019 11:06 PM

I turn the lights out and put out a sign that reads... NO CANDY! GO AWAY I’M BUSY SUCKING YOUR DADDY’S COCK.

by Anonymousreply 157October 17, 2019 11:42 PM

Several places are now reporting that this rant wasn't even written by a frau in Rancho Cucamonga, but by a man in Elmhurst, IL, and it's one of his many satires.

From the NBC Today website:

[quote] A reporter located a Facebook "rant" (which was posted on Sept. 19) in which TODAY had been tagged. Kevin Flanagan from Elmhurst, Illinois, says he is the original Halloween prankster behind the big candy post. Flanagan, a husband and father of two who is the vice president of a local moving and storage company, said he's become well known around his community for writing satirical posts on his community's Facebook group.

[quote] "I just like to write and make people laugh, and my community's Facebook group has been a great portal for it! As with all satire, there are some elements of truth or reality in my post, and that's probably why it has become so popular and people have shared and revised it to fit their community," Flanagan told TODAY via email. "My idea for the post originated last year. We're in Illinois where we are taxed heavily, so we condition our son for it and hit him pretty hard with the Parent tax for all of his Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Milky Way bars. After seeing what was left, something had to be done!"

[quote] Looks like it takes an element of truth to make a funny prank go viral.

by Anonymousreply 158October 18, 2019 2:12 AM

[quote]Who the hell would hand out Goldfish at Halloween??

Autistic kids love those nasty little things.

by Anonymousreply 159October 18, 2019 2:13 AM

I mean, she's right, but this is just something you're supposed to think/mutter under your breath, not say out loud.

I always give out the good stuff... Reese's and Snickers. Of course I don't actually buy it until the day before or I'll eat it all myself.

by Anonymousreply 160October 18, 2019 2:33 AM

NBC5 in Chicago did a story on the man in Elmhurst, IL who wrote the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 18, 2019 2:47 AM

Here he is, Kevin Flanagan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 18, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote]r158 Several places are now reporting that this rant wasn't even written by a frau in Rancho Cucamonga, but by a man in Elmhurst, IL

Now, there's a shocker.

by Anonymousreply 163October 18, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote]Here he is, Kevin Flanagan.

He looks like TV's Kevin James.

by Anonymousreply 164October 18, 2019 3:23 AM

He looks like your average white asshole.

by Anonymousreply 165October 18, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote] this rant wasn't even written by a frau in Rancho Cucamonga, but by a man in Elmhurst, IL

In other words, he's your typical internet TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 166October 18, 2019 3:47 AM

R166 He didn't really write it for the entire internet. He's friends know him for his satirical take on things. Someone took it and plagiarized it.

by Anonymousreply 167October 18, 2019 3:56 AM

I always give out needles and glass shards so kids can put them in their own candy. I don't have time for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 168October 18, 2019 5:33 AM

r168 kids today are too lazy to do it, too. Hand out off-market vapes instead.

by Anonymousreply 169October 18, 2019 11:18 PM

You either hate candy corn or you are an addict. I order from Target every 2 weeks or so and the last time I ordered a bag of candy corn. I buy full sized bars at Costco to give out so I figured I'd get myself a bag of candy corn. Omg, it turned out to be a 2.5 lb bag.

I ate them all.

I swear every year I won't buy a bag if candy corn, but I always do and can't stop eating them. I stay away from supermarket holiday sections at Halloween. Won't walk near them because if the candy corn addiction.

Well, it's only once a year. But 2.5 lb!. I didn't even know there were enough other human beings alive that like candy corn that the company would make a 2.5 lb bag.

by Anonymousreply 170October 22, 2019 2:06 AM

What about those candy corn pumpkins? They're like candy corn, but bigger!

by Anonymousreply 171October 22, 2019 2:07 AM

I saw maple candy corn this year. Sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 172October 22, 2019 2:13 AM

R76, that suburban mom must have forearms of steel. She's holding up those two big boxes of candy bars by their corners like it's nothing.

by Anonymousreply 173October 22, 2019 7:09 AM

Hahaha. Good point, r173.

by Anonymousreply 174October 22, 2019 11:43 PM

I have a similar problem with Smarties, R170, which is why I always jump to defend them when they inevitably appear (along with your beloved candy corn) on the list of worst candies. Read about what constituted candy in the mid 19th century, peppermint sticks are about the only recognizable treat.

by Anonymousreply 175October 23, 2019 4:53 AM

This bitch is going to be on a rampage, tonight!

by Anonymousreply 176October 31, 2019 11:53 PM

When did they invent sugar?

by Anonymousreply 177November 1, 2019 12:58 AM

I'm curious to see how the neighborhood fared, under this woman's reign of terror.

by Anonymousreply 178November 1, 2019 5:18 AM

I buy Easter candy at 75% off after Easter and save it to give out on Halloween. If kids are bratty they get some loose jelly beans thrown into their bags. Or loose peeps.

by Anonymousreply 179November 1, 2019 5:44 AM

She is correct, do it right or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 180November 1, 2019 5:44 AM

[quote]I'm curious to see how the neighborhood fared, under this woman's reign of terror.

Apparently some of you missed earlier posts that explained THIS NEVER HAPPENED. The frau is fictional; it was a satirical post, written by a man, that went viral.

by Anonymousreply 181November 1, 2019 4:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!