Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much gas do you really have left when the fuel gauge reads ZERO miles?

This is not an emergency but at various points in the past I have crossed this threshold and my car has always gotten me to wherever I was going. Oftentimes as far at 7 or 8 miles from when I hit zero miles. I am actually considering running my car through zero and beyond just to see how much gas you really have left when you car tells you that you are out of gas.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 8:47 PM

Depends on the car. About 30 miles are left on my Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 5:10 PM

[quote]I am actually considering running my car through zero and beyond just to see how much gas you really have left when you car tells you that you are out of gas.

You're going to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, you'll call the Whatstheirface service company, and they'll laugh behind your back after they fill up your tank. Don't do it, it's not worth it, you'll just give us homos a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 5:12 PM

Stop being a cheap whore and buy gas.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 5:16 PM

Prius has about a gallon when the warning sounds. Then it conveniently finds you a gas station nearby. #lovetechnology

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 5:20 PM

If you do want to play these games of experimentation, then carry a gas can in the trunk.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 5:25 PM

R1 is correct. Depends on the vehicle. With some older cars, hitting "E" meant really empty. Add gas if vehicle is less than 1/4 full on the fuel gauge. A gauge can also be "off" measure and need to be adjusted by a vehicular technition.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 5:31 PM

OP, google the year, make and model of your car + fuel tank capacity or something. I remember someone posted a link to test your car. My car was reported to be able to go about another 40 miles once the emergency fuel light came on. I don't like to push it but it's nice to have some peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 6:05 PM

OP have you considered getting a hobby or a life?

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 8:25 PM

R2 is correct. Cars are more efficient and run better when the tank isn't near empty. Even if you do carry petrol like R5 suggests, modern fuel injected cars sometimes still do not start again just filling with a can. When they get completely empty, I have found they need the force of the gas pump, or more than what the small cans carry. This has been told to friends who have run out as well, when the car still wouldn't start. Why bother with a tow?

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!