Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TRUTH BE TOLD starring Octavia Spencer, Aaron Paul, Lizzy Caplan and Elizabeth Perkins.

Coming December to Apple+. This has been a great year for Octavia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2020 6:31 PM

I'm happy for Octavia Spencer. She was stuck in the sassy black friend or co-worker role until she had her lucky big break in "The Help". Although she was criticized for playing a maid and even her Oscar win was downplayed as America's mammy complex, she has managed to parlay her win into steady work and even a variety of roles. Not all of the roles she's had since her win have been stellar, but she at least works regularly and has managed two more nominations since, proving that perhaps her first one wasn't such a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 9:47 AM

ewww that aaron paul is off-putting, he sits on couches and claps his hands with meth gusto...….wtf?

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 10:51 AM

Does Perkins break new ground playing a cunt with a drinking problem?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 12:21 PM

cripes, two of my lease face actors:::spencer and paul…..pass

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 3:34 AM

Anyone see it yet? What are your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 7:51 PM

Well, except for "Ma."

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 7:52 PM

I love Octavia. She’s an actor I remember looking up on IMDb when she appeared on Ugly Betty.

As for Apple+ does anyone have it? How much content is available?

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 7:53 PM

I thought she was supposed to do a reboot of Murder, She Wrote? Whatever happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 8:00 PM

Thanks, Mo'nique! Fight the power!

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 11:57 PM

R8 she did a children’s hospital show called Red Band Society.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2019 7:05 AM

[quote]I thought she was supposed to do a reboot of Murder, She Wrote? Whatever happened to that?

They tried getting it off the ground for about 5 years and finally NBC said no.

[quote]As for Apple+ does anyone have it? How much content is available?

Not a lot at all. The shows all seem to have issues or are just plain ole boring. I got it for free for a year with my Apple TV or else I wouldn't have it because I wouldn't pay for it.

As for this show:

1. I think it's the best of the Apple TV + shows overall.

2. However, it still comes off as a step above a Lifetime movie but at least it's interesting. Actual "things" happen and it's not sunshine and roses every hour with people talking as it is the grittiest of the shows which isn't saying a lot.

3. She plays a character named Poppy Parnell who was once a reporter who started a podcast about a murder only to start it up again years later because she thinks she helped push the case in the wrong direction. Aaron Paul plays the guy who (as a kid) she helped put behind bars who is now a Nazi. Lizzy Caplan plays "twins" who have a secret involving the murder.

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2019 7:21 AM

It has been almost eight years since Octavia won her Oscar. She really seems to be finally reaping its benefits.

It took a year to get a well-received Sundance hit (Fruitvale, which she ex-produced as well), which ended up getting overinflated in hype and flopping come Oscar time. But, she also got to do a Bong Joon Ho film that year as well. She got a role in the Divergent series, but it underwhelmed and ended up on TV.

It wasn't until 2016/2017, that she hit a one-two Oscar-nom-punch with Hidden Figures/Shape of Water, nearly five years after her Oscar. And then for 2018, she ex-coproduced (vanity credit, but still) the BP winner.

Now, this year, she got a ISA nomination for Luce and she headlined the hit Ma (which she also ex-produced), which was a lot of fun. She's also going to star with AnnE in The Witches remake, as well as played the first American female self-made millionaire in a TV series. AND, she's costarring with Melissa McCarthy (!) in an action-comedy (Yas, Kweens). Who cares if it's McCarthy's husband directing. Her career has really been heating up. I hope the momentum continues. She's likeable, talented, and a hard-worker. I stan. Go Octavia!

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2019 7:38 AM

What do you mean finally R12? I like her too, but by your own summary, she's been working steadily since. That's all an actor can ask for.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2019 7:43 AM

R13. Ah, yeah. She certainly has been working and she has been doing fine since her Oscar. But, on the surface, Hidden Figures has really kicked off a string of successes, which keep growing.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2019 7:52 AM

[quote]She got a role in the Divergent series, but it underwhelmed and ended up on TV.

It did not end up on TV. Or anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2019 6:06 PM

I was a bit put off on the lead being so religious having her own praying nook in the house. And getting angry that her husband invaded her praying space to mouth off at her while she is praying. But overall I really liked it.

To those who saw the entire season. Spoiler Alert!

Was Aaron Paul's character really in the house at the night of the murder? The street sweeper sees him leaving with a knife, but what exactly did he do in there that night?

Why wouldn't the other sister just blow the whole cover-up (framing the dead mom) and reveal her sister killed their dad after she was set up to admit to murdering her mother?

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2020 5:48 PM

Octavia is rocking it. She's finally getting her due after years of hard work. I remember first seeing her as the - you guessed it - sassy black friend in Never Been Kissed who had about one line and she made an impression which isn't easy to do. She's come a long way in 20 years and I'm proud of her.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2020 7:03 PM

She’s seems to have avoided the dreaded Best Supporting Actress curse, so... good for her!

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2020 8:21 PM

I like Octavia Spencer and I am very happy about her success. She has managed to make the best of her Oscar win and work steadily. I'm glad that a hardworking actress like her is able to get opportunities to play interesting roles like Madam C J Walker instead of being forced to return to the offensive "sassy Black best friend with no life of her own" stereotypes she'd otherwise be saddled with.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2020 10:44 AM

Spoiler alert. The boy WAS in the house, and the boy was a creepy boy. The twins were creepy. The show kinda sucks in retrospect. Yet, I would watch a second season just because I like Spencer. I can't even remember who killed whom. I thought Caplan gave a shitty performance. Aaron Paul is slightly annoying actor and I would like to fuck him even though he's weird looking.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2020 10:58 AM

Is it on torrents yet?

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2020 11:05 AM

Octavia Spencer is the most successful Best Supporting Actress winner post-Oscar since Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2020 11:13 AM

The show exceeded my low expectations.

Funny that Spencer had been attached to a Murder, She Wrote reboot. I told a friend how shocked I was that the show was renewed for a second season. “Really? Lord, this is Murder, She Podcasted.”

The series was in B+ territory for most of the season until the last two episodes. They were so drawn out and provided insufficient payback for the season and their pacing. I ended up yelling “Get on with it!” I give it a C+.

In retrospect, I think fast forwarding through anything with Poppy’s family or husband would tighten up the narrative and make for a more pleasurable experience. I watched with a friend which made that impossible for me.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2020 5:38 PM

I love Aaron Paul. I want to start a thread on him but I am worried nobody will post on it.

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2020 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!