Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Career Advice (not a troll)

My partner (of 10 years) and I both work for large corporations and make good money. We save a lot and have a nice cushion in the event of an emergency. I've been in my current role for six years and have consistently performed above expectations which has led to nice annual pay increases and bonuses. I am at the point now where I don't have a clear direction of my next step. It is hard to move up especially since I don't play into the corporate politics. The other side is I am very happy in my role but fear this is short sided especially with no major room for growth.

I have been approached with an exciting offer for a new company in the industry I work in. My biggest fear is taking the risk and getting out of my comfort zone. The pay would be significantly higher and a lot of room to learn new things and enhance my resume.

I tend to be risk averse but at 30 years old and with a safety net I think this might be the time to take a chance. The people running the company are all very well connected and established so there is possibility for a lot of success. My current company is the largest in the industry which has its perks but also lack of opportunity b/c of its size.

Any thoughts or opinions is greatly appreciated. Long time lurker, first time poster!

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 9:31 PM

Sounds like everything is aligned for you to make the move. You're young, it's a better opportunity, and you've got some financial security if you decide it isn't for you.

Life is all about taking chances; that's how we grow and learn. Do it and don't look back. If you don't, you'll end up wondering "what could have been..."

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 1:06 AM

Too long, don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 1:06 AM

Look at it this way: would you take your life's savings and invest them in this company? Are you that impressed with their business model, with their product, with their ability to execute, with their ability to ward off competition, with their funding?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, take the plunge. If the answer is no, then why would you invest the equivalent in terms of your service to them?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 1:13 AM

It’s good to make calculated risks. Sitting too long in one company leaves you potentially undervalued. As long as you are building your cash savings and can make a move, you should. Try to build a savings account with six months of living expenses.

In the event this doesn’t work out, you’ve got a cushion. Try to negotiate a soft exit from your current employer where you’re welcome to return.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 1:23 AM

Wow you’re living the gay dream. You’ve been with your partner since you were 20 and you both work for the same company. Did you meet him at work or did you both get hired by the same company?

[quote] I have been approached

Ahh so that’s how those jobs are filled!

You’re living the dream man. Enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 1:28 AM

Now is the time to grab money. Onto way you get a big pay bump is by leaving. At 40, you may not want to take a risk. However, know that once you leave the biggest company, you’re spending resume capital that you can’t spend again,

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 1:35 AM

Sometimes you have to move out to move up.

You may even be asked to come back, someday, Has happened to me, three times.

If you don't have to move, this seems like a no brainer with chance for new skills, perspectives, industry contacts in addition to a big rise in pay.

You know you want to do this, and test how you do outside that "comfort zone." And you'll do fine.

Just make sure you like all the people you'll be working with and for.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 1:36 AM

Appreciate all the advice! I work remote and can continue to do so which is a huge upside. I also got confirmation that I can re-locate anywhere my partner potentially gets moved to. We met in college-just happened to wind up at the same company!

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 1:50 AM

R5 you’re a dumb ass. Where in that did you read they work for the same company? Read it again brainiac.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 2:04 AM

OP, you're in your 30's! Now is when you need to be making the bold career moves. You need to force yourself to get out of your comfort zone, especially since the rest of your life sounds pretty solid. You can't get too complacent so early in your career. Go for it! And as mentioned upstream, moving out is sometimes the only way to move up. The new experience will make you a more valued employee down the road. Been there and so glad I took the chance.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 3:46 AM

R9, R8 just said that they are at the same company! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 7:55 AM

You sound hot OP

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 8:30 AM

My dearest OP, please rework your messy post and come back with pics of you, presenting hole with face, as it is a requirement for Initiation at the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 8:46 AM

I’m at the point now where I do t have a clear idea of where my next meal is.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 9:09 AM

OP, if the career move doesn't put a strain on your relationship then it's the perfect offer at the perfect time. If you can, check out the new office, and your future colleagues, if you believe you are a good match and will work well with your new colleagues your initial fear of taking a risk will evaporate and the excitement for personal growth and prosperity will push you forward with glee.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 9:27 AM

[quote] If you can, check out the new office, and your future colleagues,

There are jobs that let you do this? Wow. I’m a blue collar gay so I’ve never had a corporate office job and never knew this was a thing. So they let you come into the office and start chatting to your potential colleagues? That’s pretty impressive if true.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 7:37 PM

R16 It's not unusual, truthfully. I always do a grip and grin during the interview process with potential companies. I'm looking just as hard at their culture, how people interact and the office behavior.

Some tell-tales signs include "hey all the cubicles are empty on a Wednesday afternoon.". That can suggest they're empty because they've had a big layoff they don't want to tell you about because their finances are a shitshow. That's happened.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 9:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!