Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

woman fired for posting Panera Bread Mac n Cheese made from frozen bags

...the plastic packet of frozen mac and cheese is dropped into a boiler, cut open and then poured into a bowl ready to serve...

shocked? not really!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2019 2:17 PM

Someone explain Tik Tok to me? Is it like Instagram?

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 12:17 AM

R12 There are about 6 other software parasite packages which steal pictures from Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 12:22 AM

All these big franchises use premade frozen products, that's how they ensure it tastes the same at every location.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 12:25 AM

R3 is clueless

Tik-tok short format video clips, 15 secs, not photos.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 12:25 AM

How do you think Taco Bell heats up your food, you big fat millennial babies? This is fast food, you get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 12:27 AM

I've know this about Panera for years. This is why I never eat their overpriced crap.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 12:29 AM

sorry I mean R2 is clueless, probably never used til tok before, tik tok has no web version, app only, install it and find out yourself, be warned, don't get lost and spend hours watching without knowing

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 12:30 AM

When I was a kid, we used to have steak every Saturday night with my dad. He’d get this frozen brick of broccoli and cheese in a bag. We’d drop it in boiling water and then dad would cut it open and put that sloppy orange mess in a split baked potato. We LOVED that fake cheese sauce.

I’ve never set foot in a Panera.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 12:31 AM

we have 3 Dunkin stores here, all donuts are shipped in racks, in fact nothing sold by them are made in store.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 12:33 AM

Why is there all the outrage? Every Panera I go to the employees open up the bags of boiled mac and cheese right in full view of the customers all the time. Is everyone so absorbed in their phones to bother to watch people making their food?

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 12:36 AM

Panera, in one breath, says that food is made elsewhere to chefs’ specifications and is sent frozen so it doesn’t have to use preservatives...

And then it fires the employee because she revealed this...

So I guess frozen really is bad

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 12:38 AM

R10 we don't have Panera here but I remember you can only see them prepare salad or the soup at the end of pick up counter, the sandwich and Mac n Cheese are prepared inside the kitchen, the view hidden from the customers

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 12:41 AM

OP, 90% of [fast food] food is pre-made, especially things like soups. They only heat it up. Otherwise it would not be "fast food."

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 12:43 AM

Frau "food"

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 12:48 AM

R8 I've never purchased food from Panera either.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote]Someone explain Tik Tok to me

TikTok is a social media platform where millions of half-naked young men post short videos of themselves or videos with other young men while engaging in homoeroticism. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 1:58 AM

All of Starbucks food come in plastic. That’s how people know product cheaply. If you wanna better food experience you need to go to Au Bon Pain. They actually make the croissants in their store.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 2:09 AM

You’re a fucking idiot if you think someone at panera bread is back there grating cheese and boiling pasta to make your $8 mac and cheese slop.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote] How do you think Taco Bell heats up your food, you big fat millennial babies?

Came to say the same thing. It was 20+ years ago in my college days but I doubt it's changed much. Taco Bell steak, chicken and beef all comes in big frozen bags and then you plopped it into ginormous pots, boiled it and then put it into serving tins.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 2:16 AM

R5, the "babies" are old Republicans like you who lash out at younger people because of jealousy

I doubt anyone posting here is a millennial, anyway

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 2:21 AM

This is simply shocking. I'm sure most people were convinced a motherly woman in a flowered apron was behind the scenes grating cheese, making a sauce and breadcrumbs while boiling pasta. Then making a loving mac n cheese casserole (with just the tiniest hint of nutmeng) for her hungry charges, all the while listening to the day to day challenges from the young Panera staff.

So disappointed. Triggered, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 2:29 AM

R21, lol!

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 2:30 AM

Is r21 one of those Republicans who mocks others for being triggered while getting triggered by things like gay marriage?

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 2:32 AM

So, you're telling me that my chicken parm from Olive Garden isn't made fresh when I order by an Italian chef?

Are the breadsticks still baked fresh in the restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 2:35 AM

There's no excuse for not making it fresh, in-store. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be selling it.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 2:39 AM

Nothing I've ever had at Panera seemed freshly made. It's all processed, reheated, etc. At least Chipotle's food is fresh and cooked onsite.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 3:14 AM

[quote]At least Chipotle's food is fresh and cooked onsite.

But tasteless, nevertheless.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 3:18 AM

Oh boy, a food thread. This will run for 568 posts.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 3:31 AM

You mean to tell me that their baked potato soup is not made by a 5-star Michelin chef?

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2019 3:33 AM

Exactly r28. How long before the discussion shifts to fast food making Americans fat and disgusting?

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote] There's no excuse for not making it fresh, in-store. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be selling it.

Sure, they can do that. If you'd like to pay $20-25 for the same serving, you can have all fresh materials AND have someone make it for you.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2019 3:45 AM

I will reheat my own frozen meals in the comfort of my own home, thank-you!

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2019 3:48 AM

They make it from BAGS? That's taking recycling a step too far!

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2019 4:20 AM

R33 don't ask how they make their baguettes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2019 4:46 AM

OP, R28, Please read the identical thread I posted yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2019 5:10 AM

LSA poster who worked at Chipotle's say they also do not make most of their food on the premises.

Bakers do come in to Panera Bread locations after hours to bake the bread and pastries.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2019 5:23 AM

This is literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2019 5:26 AM

I have NEVER understood the hype about Panera. Their shit is bland as hell, yet costs a fortune. I remember I used to have a fat frau supervisor that would always insist we had Panera for any lunch meetings. Nothing special at all. The last time I went was when they tried charging me $10 for a fucking corned beef sandwich! It wasn’t even on special bread - just 2 regular square sized pieces.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2019 5:31 AM

Isn't this how all the 'sit-down' chains do it too, now? DL fave Olive Garden and the rest of the Darden-y restaurants, Applebee's etc---they just boil plastic bags of pre-made food and plate it up.

Aldi sometimes sells a Sous Vide stick so you can play like you're running your very own Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen at home!

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote]This is literal violence.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2019 5:49 AM

Panera commercials are gross. Nobody likes to see people slurping, chomping, and licking their fingers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2019 6:05 AM

I don't think that people are necessarily upset about the re-heated frozen mac and cheese.

I think we're more upset that Panera brands itself as some absolutely fresh and organic type of "health food" restaurant, and they use that marketing to justify charging outrageous prices.

That's what really pisses people off.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2019 6:24 AM

well, then I have to say Panda Express prevails!!! All their food are cooked fresh in the restaurant, vegetable, meat, rice, noodles...Or Asian food in general, reheated frozen entrees or side dishes just don't work.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2019 6:26 AM

they made commercials saying that are clean. Just fresh ingredients used. They lie.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2019 6:30 AM

The fat Fraus/Karens will be out in full force today gorging on Panera mac & cheese in protest of the young slender woman of color that pointed out it's just an over priced tv dinner.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2019 6:37 AM

I'm sorry, how the fuck did people assume it was made? An Eye-tie standing there making fresh pasta and a cow being milked at the location to make the cheese? It's fucking Panera, not Per Se.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2019 6:47 AM

It's fat white women wasting money to pay for the privilege to reheat their Stouffer's mac & cheese.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2019 6:50 AM

They should've fired that hipster cunt that talks in their commercials instead.

Her voice is as irritating AF

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2019 6:53 AM

Most restaurants serve mac and cheese from plastic tubs. It is so beyond foul.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2019 7:00 AM

What's funny about this story is that you always hear rich food snobs making snarky and nasty comments about Diners and Greasy Spoons, being unhealthy and gross, but they're the only ones who are actually making affordable food, from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2019 7:02 AM

fwiw, I worked as a cook at TGI Fridays back in the 90's and they did make their cheese sauces from scratch. If you ordered an alfredo pasta, the sauce was literally made to order in an iron skillet with just butter, parm and heavy cream. The pasta itself was cooked in advance daily by the prep cooks, lightly tossed in oil, portioned and refrigerated.

They didn't have mac & cheese on the menu at the time, but the closest thing would be their au gratin potatoes. Again, the prep cooks literally made bechamel sauce for them from scratch daily.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2019 7:04 AM

I don't know why anybody would go to these massive chain restaurants expecting freshly-prepared food on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2019 7:07 AM

I grew up in a New England town surrounded by quite a few prestigious colleges. There were always a large number of independent restaurants of various cuisines that catered to wealthy residents and visitors, and over the years I knew several people who worked at some of them. I was surprised to learn that a lot of dishes came from a box, frozen, and the kitchen simply heated it up to serve it to customers. I had assumed everything was made fresh and from scratch, but that definitely was not always the case.

I have lived in NYC for 20 years now, and I have heard the same here and there, but usually it's true of things like french fries, bread for sandwiches, and sometimes desserts. Some items are outsourced and brought in, because it's simply not economical for the restaurant to make them from scratch, on site, given limited kitchen space.

So, no, this does not surprise me about Panera. But you never really know what might be coming out of a frozen box or bag, even at a trendy, independent restaurant that definitely wouldn't be considered "fast food," either.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2019 7:09 AM

That's the thing, R51. It's so easy to make an alfredo or a white sauce from scratch.

However, Panera uses frozen products, because they're cheaper to buy in bulk. And I'm sure that there are preservatives in their mac and cheese, otherwise, it wouldn't keep.

So Panera's "healthy food" advertising is just total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 7:10 AM

R51 here, sorry forgot to add, their broccoli & cheese soup, and cream of chicken and artichoke soup was also made from scratch. As well as their baked artichoke dip.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 7:11 AM

[quote] I have lived in NYC for 20 years now, and I have heard the same here and there, but usually it's true of things like french fries, bread for sandwiches, and sometimes desserts. Some items are outsourced and brought in, because it's simply not economical for the restaurant to make them from scratch, on site, given limited kitchen space.

You just reminded me about something I saw on the Food Network's "Great Food Truck Race."

Some of the food trucks made things like chili cheese fries, etc., and instead of using fresh cut fries, the cooks would use frozen fries or tots. Or they would use packaged salads or cole slaw mix for their salads and slaws. It was all about saving time and money.

So even though people think that food trucks make their dishes fresh and from scratch, that's not always the case.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 7:19 AM

From the comments:

[quote]If you want to dine on macaroni made with a stand mixer and fresh cheddar cheese, then make it at home or have it delivered from a full-service restaurant.

In what part of the process do you require a stand mixer to make macaroni and cheese?

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 7:28 AM

[Quote]I'm sorry, how the fuck did people assume it was made?

Hmm, if you go to local family owned Italian restaurants and not chain restaurants a lot, it is easy to assume the pasta is made fresh in the kitchen. This really is an American and fast food thing. If you go to a normal (Italian) restaurant anywhere in Europe, all the food is made fresh in the kitchen. And it doesn't cost a fortune either.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 8:14 AM

Would any of the Applebees offerings be made from scratch?

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2019 8:19 AM

You can get the same portion of mac and cheese for a third of the price and with much more flavor with the Bob Evans mac and cheese they sell at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2019 8:47 AM

Do people really not know how to cook these days? Man 'n cheese is one of the easiest dishes to make.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2019 8:49 AM

[quote]Man 'n cheese is one of the easiest dishes to make.

All it takes is time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2019 10:12 AM

TikTok is owned by the Chinese. I wouldn't give them your information, Gen Zers.

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2019 10:53 AM

But R63, knowingly or unknowingly, you gladly hand all your information to Google, Apple, Amazon, Verizon, ATT, Xfinity... and Instagram/Facebook which then sold your information to Cambridge Analytic to help get Trump elected.

Not Chinese not Russian, all "American" companies are the ones you really need to worry about and keep an eye on.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2019 12:04 PM

At least we know this is unique to Panera Bread and not industry-standard.

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 12:22 PM

[quote]Do people really not know how to cook these days? Man 'n cheese is one of the easiest dishes to make.

Man and cheese? I don’t believe I’ve had that before. Does a man lay on a dish holding a chunk of cheese?

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 12:25 PM

Panera - where fat white women go to have someone reheat their stouffer's mac and cheese, while their husbands are away at work and their kiddos are off at school.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 12:30 PM

I was a waiter at the El Fenix mexican chain (Texans will know this place) in college.

This was in the 80's during the "sizzling fajitas" trend. We'd bring the hot plate of meat out, set it on the table, pour a cup of liquid on the meat and it would sizzle and pop and the patrons would go, "Ohhh!"

I always assumed the liquid was run off grease from cooking the meat (yes they actually grilled it). But wondered why it was never hot.

One day I noticed one of the cooks in the kitchen pouring a whole tray of cups of this liquid, which came out of a big plastic gallon container. It was clear and flavorless. One of the managers eventually told me what it was. I can't recall the name of the chemical, but she said it was the same thing they used in Pop Rocks candy.

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2019 12:51 PM

I'd rather have Stouffer's frozen mac 'n cheese than Panera any day.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2019 1:03 PM

[quote]Hmm, if you go to local family owned Italian restaurants and not chain restaurants a lot, it is easy to assume the pasta is made fresh in the kitchen.

I think we all know that, Poindexter. This wasn’t a “local family owned restaurant,” though, it was indeed a chain restaurant, and you’d have to be as dumb as a bag of hair to confuse one for the other.

Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote]In what part of the process do you require a stand mixer to make macaroni and cheese?

Maybe if you made the pasta dough from scratch you could do it in a stand mixer. That's the only thing I could think of.

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2019 3:00 PM

Trader Joe's mac 'n cheese is just as good as Panera's, and it costs far less. They both come frozen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2019 4:44 PM

R64 nice try, but there is a HUGE difference between a democratic nation with checks and balances and oversight than a repressive Chinese regime that controls everything and has no accountability. So yes, be worried about Chinese companies reporting directly to the government whenever the government decides to use their data for nefarious purposes.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2019 4:46 PM

It's not just fast food places such as Panera, fancier places also do this but it's a practice that is more common is fast food joints where getting the food to the customer quickly is the more important than taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2019 4:57 PM

I think the food threads are so popular here because everyone is so hungry. They probably cut pictures of desserts and tape them to the wall-then drink lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2019 5:04 PM

... or because everyone has to eat. It's a worldwide phenomenon

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2019 5:16 PM

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, R62

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 6:20 PM

r12- We have like 3 Panera stores in a 5 mile radius and they all have pots along the counter where they heat up the soups, broths and macs. I always watch people making my food.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2019 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!