Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can you visit PTown and Fire Island in Late October?

Do the ferries still run? Are the bars still open?

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2019 6:11 PM

FI is really cold and not much ferry service. Most things are closed. The season is really only May through September.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2019 9:11 PM

Is the ferries running in Fire Island like the bulls running in Pamplona? Do they chase straight people around the island?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2019 9:17 PM

Had a great weekend in P-town late in October.

Fun happens all the way til Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2019 9:26 PM

Ptown is nice in the fall. Halloween weekend (in this years case, the first weekend in November) draws a big crowd. Most things in ptown stay open into the winter months.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 9:26 PM

Provincetown is a town, with some year round inhabitants. Fire Island Pines and Cherry Grove are colonies of summer vacation homes.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 9:33 PM

Thanks all!

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 9:43 PM

Not Fire Island. What little is there and open during the season is closed. I don’t know why people get houses there - uninhabitable for 7 months a year. Maybe a ferry a day and the store is open for a few hours on the weekends - but absolutely nothing to do as the bar(s) and restaurant(s) are closed. And god forbid you need to get basic supplies like milk or sugar. It’s a deserted ghost town.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 10:10 PM

P-Town has multiple seasons...the High Season is June through Labor Day then slows down through Halloween then slows down some more until the end of the year then pretty much shuts down for January through end of March (but obviously not all the way since it's an actual town with year round residents so some restaurants/bars/shops are year round) then it starts to pick up again in April and things start re-opening and it all starts all over again.

The Boston to P-town Ferry ends after Halloween, I think.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2019 10:18 PM

Halloween is fun in Provincetown! This year it will be celebrating Halloween (Thursday) and the following weekend is full of parties.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2019 11:47 PM

No, Ptown doesn’t shut down after Labor Day, but there’s really nothing to do. Halloween’s one day or maybe one weekend., but there’s still nothing to do. And I love Ptown, but come on, let’s no5 make it more than it is. Fire Island? Just no.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 12:07 AM

I’ve gone to Provincetown in the dead of winter and had a blast. But maybe that’s just me. No, there’s not much in the way of nightlife then. But enough remains open that you can eat and drink and just enjoy the beauty of Provincetown when it’s peaceful and uncrowded.

As far as Fire Island goes, you’ve probably got a week or two at most to go before it’s virtually boarded up for the winter. The weather these past few days has been amazing. If you revel in solitude, Fire Island would be stunning now but in October the few places that do remain open tend to be open only Friday through Sunday. If you’re there midweek at this time of year, or any day after October, plan to be self-sufficient in every way.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 12:36 AM

I went to P-Town by myself for five days the week before Christmas three years ago. Recovering from a broken heart. Had a marvelous time just walking around in the cold (made sure to bring the proper clothes) with the whole town almost to myself. Loved the place where I stayed, the food I ate (good restaurants were open) and the ambience of a pretty town and my solitude. It was exactly what the doctor ordered for me at the time. Lovely memories.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 12:47 AM

There’s already been a thread on this OP. Would it have killed you to do a search before you posted this? I mean really? Do you think you could have just done a search?

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 12:57 AM

Would it have killed you to post the related thread link, R13, if it was so easy to find?

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 1:43 AM

Why should I have to do your work for you R14?

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 2:11 AM

You’re exhausting, R14. Go find something bigger to whine about.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 2:24 AM

^Sorry, R14. I meant, R13.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 2:25 AM

Go to a winter resort in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 7:01 AM

Thanks, Captain Control Freak.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 11:34 AM

^ Meant for R18.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Can you still get ass this time of year in Pee town?

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 11:48 AM

Chances are it will be local ass, R21, and since most year-round locals are artists of some sort, you'll have to listen to their constant blather about their "work," their "careers," the size of their trust fund, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 12:24 PM

R22

Nah, you can still meet some of us normal, everyday unfabulous folk up here.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 12:49 PM

The ferry runs all year to Fire Island. But there's hardly anyone there after November 1st... The Pines Halloween party is tomorrow night (10/18) and after this weekend there will be pretty much no one there. I would estimate that only 15-20 percent of the houses in the Pines are "winterized" and so they are not habitable during the winter months. The water is shut off to keep the pipes from freezing. The early birds will head back in April. There are a few, a very few who stay there all winter but there is limited ferry service, daily, weather permitting.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 1:13 PM

You can but why would you?

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2019 4:34 PM

Live footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2019 4:42 PM

Several years ago, I went to Ptown in early November. The Friday I was there, I took a beach chair and a book and sat in the dunes overlooking a deserted Herring Cove Beach. It was a beautiful, fall day and I must have spent a couple of hours there just reading, and enjoying the natural beauty and solitude of the place.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2019 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!