Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I guess Christopher Columbus is not politically correct enough for Google to celebrate

Google has some tribute to Belgian physicist Joseph Plateau today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2019 3:33 PM

I like this youtuber. Now I like Columbus (see link). I knew the Western Explorers were just doing what they all were, at the time, and didn’t blame them, buy he taught me that Columbus isn’t the monster we hear, these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2019 5:56 PM

I thought Plateau was a Greek philosopher.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2019 5:57 PM

I don't think I've even seen any ads this year for any Columbus Day sales.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2019 5:58 PM

Man, if r1 doesn't sum up what's wrong with society.

I saw this random guy with a YouTube account and I believe everything this person with no real credentials says!

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 5:59 PM

Are you surprised? Google won’t even write “Merry Christmas!” on December 25 because god forbid we call the day what it is. Instead they put that Happy Holidays bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 6:06 PM

My bank had a sign up saying they would be closed for "Indigenous Peoples' Day"

I liked it because that Columbus story is bullshit.

But TEACHERS ARE OUR HEROES! Fuck, no.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 6:10 PM

Columbus day is a bullshit holiday, and frank a holiday celebrating native americans makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 6:19 PM

R6, That's what we've been calling it for the past couple of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2019 6:20 PM

There’s already been a thread on this!! Could you not have at least done a search first?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2019 6:23 PM

I did! I searched "political correctness gone mad" and found NOTHING, so I started this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2019 6:28 PM

I'd like to stick a peace pipe in R9's eyeball.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2019 6:41 PM

We celebrate Indignant People's Day every day here on DL

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2019 6:56 PM

PC insanity - where will it end?

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote]I liked it because that Columbus story is bullshit.

Seriously, it's not even about being "PC."

The story isn't even accurate.

It's like people pointing out that Pluto isn't actually a planet anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2019 7:04 PM

STFU, Boris/OP.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2019 7:05 PM

Here's their gif for today. But does it do enough to heal the wounds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2019 7:06 PM

You didn't even bother to read about Joseph Plateau, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2019 7:09 PM

R5, Christmas is actually a rip-off of Yule.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2019 7:17 PM

Atrocities and genocide are such festive traditions, after all,

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2019 7:19 PM

I habitually ignore people who think that stupid fucking "War on Christmas" is a thing, r18, since it is clear evidence that they are morons.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2019 7:21 PM

You are a fucking shit-eating asshole, r16. Happy to block you.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2019 7:22 PM

If people researched the holiday, they'd discover that it was designated as a way to mollify Italian immigrants to the US who were not feeling welcomed here (to say the least) and to give them a holiday figure of their own when other types of holidays we celebrate were remnants of Anglo-Saxon holidays.

"President Benjamin Harrison proclaimed it as a one-time national celebration in 1892 — in the wake of a bloody New Orleans lynching that took the lives of 11 Italian immigrants. The proclamation was part of a broader attempt to quiet outrage among Italian-Americans, and a diplomatic blowup over the murders that brought Italy and the United States to the brink of war."

It's pretty easy to see it as rubbing salt in the wounds of indigenous people here, but it wasn't set up with that aim in mind. We in the US still retain a strong sense of the idea that European colonization of the Americas was manifest destiny - a superior people were meant to have all this underpopulated hemisphere, inhabited only by "savages". But in 1892 there was really no other opinion. Manifest destiny was accepted as the only point of view. Likewise, Thanksgiving celebrates the same notion. "Thanks for teaching us how to farm in this land, and showing us what native fruits and vegetables and game we can survive on - now go away and die, please".

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2019 7:24 PM

The reason it was created for 1892 and what it actually celebrates are two separate things, r22.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2019 7:31 PM

Google is used across the globe. Just because it's currently Columbus Day in America, it doesn't mean that's the only appropriate Google doodle.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2019 7:35 PM

R5 gets triggered annually by paper coffee cups.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]but it wasn't set up with that aim in mind.

And that little pocket in your jeans was designed to hold your pocket watch and not your change but times change.

[quote]We in the US still retain a strong sense of the idea that European colonization of the Americas was manifest destiny

I'm pretty sure more than half the country understands that this wasn't exactly the case so "we" isn't even an accurate description here.

Many major cities and even a few states have already dropped the holiday and that number grows more every year.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2019 7:42 PM

Then why does Google post an animation and dedication for every, other U.S. holiday, r24?

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2019 7:44 PM

I think Indigenous People's Day should be separate from Columbus Day -- rather than celebrate a day they perceive as "genocidal," how about a day to honor one of their great historical figures or an event from their history?

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2019 7:44 PM

We need to have Leif Erikson Day and Indigenous Peoples Day--get rid of fucking Columbus Day. The asshole didn't even discover America.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2019 7:48 PM

It's ridiculous — Columbus wasn't a conqueror, warrior or king. He personally didn't authorize the genocide, conquests or slavery that occurred once Europe used his discovery.

Columbus was just an explorer who had the wherewithal to go the distance to prove a theory, which led to the discovery of a whole, new world. The human connection between East and West was bound to happen eventually. The discoverer isn't guilty of all the bad that ensued. What about the good stuff? What about the benefits all the Native Americans received?

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2019 7:50 PM

R30, I'm sure the natives of The Americas are sooooo thankful to Columbus and perform thousands of sacrifices a year to the Sun God in his honor.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2019 7:52 PM

Let the dagoes and injuns fight it out between themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2019 8:02 PM

Columbus never even set foot in what became the US. He went to the Caribbean and South America.

[Quote]Columbus was just an explorer who had the wherewithal to go the distance to prove a theory, which led to the discovery of a whole, new world.

Are you 12? The only thing Columbus was betting on was that the ocean was small enough that going west would be a quicker trip to India which was laughably false. And he isn't even the first European to come to Americas, as Leif Ericsson did it centuries before him.

That America celebrates a holiday in his honor is nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2019 8:04 PM

Why do we honor Columbus with a holiday? He’s not an American and he never set foot on any soil that became part of the US. If you actually break down what he did, he was a rapist, an invader, a disease carrier and a fucking moron who confused Haiti with China. WHY DOES HE GET A HOLIDAY??

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2019 8:05 PM

[quote] What about the benefits all the Native Americans received?

Rape, warfare and almost total extinction are “benefits?” Everyone please welcome Stephen Miller to DL.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2019 8:07 PM

R30, Columbus on this first voyage to the Bahamas and Hispaniola kidnapped native Taíno and Ciguayos and took them back to Spain for show and tell. Some of these native women he gave to his crew men to rape. As Governor of the West Indies, he and his brother Bartholomeo established settlements on Hispaniola, enslaved the natives, and enacted harsh punishments to those who rebelled. He was not just an explorer, but an active participant in the rape and enslavement of the native people.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2019 8:28 PM

r35, do you seriously think Native Americans didn't have rape, warfare and attempted extinction of other tribes before the arrival of the Europeans?

Yes, there's no denying that the Europeans who conquered the Americas did so in a particularly violent fashion, but let's not pretend that Native Americans were pure innocents living in a Utopia.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2019 8:29 PM

Take the train from Roma Termini to Ostia beach and you learn his real name was Cristofero Colon. Not Chris Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2019 8:31 PM

R38, His Spanish name was Cristóbal Colón. His Italian name was Cristoforo Colombo. His Latin name was Christophorus Columbus, Anglicized to Christopher Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote][R35], do you seriously think Native Americans didn't have rape, warfare and attempted extinction of other tribes before the arrival of the Europeans?

Not R35, but he never made such an assertion. Do you think because the natives did it to other natives, it somehow justifies Europeans doing it too?

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2019 8:50 PM

I can’t wait until the war on Christmas tards are out in full force.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2019 8:59 PM

That was not my argument, r40 -- the argument is that a) all societies in history have engaged in rape, warfare and attempted extermination of others perceived as threats and thus b) assuming that Native Americans were "noble savages" is both a condescending infantilization of their cultures and a grave misunderstanding of history.

We are judging people of the 15th century with the mindset of the 21st century. It's easy to make one group of people pure heroes and another group of people thorough villains, but the truth is somewhere in-between.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2019 9:05 PM

And, yes, that was essentially r35's argument -- that before the Europeans arrived, they did not experience rape, warfare and attempted extermination.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2019 9:06 PM

Columbus was a great explorer. His discoveries kicked off the creation of the modern Western world of which all of you are a part.

There is some real stupidity about history shown on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2019 9:09 PM

Columbus was not a "great explorer", he was an objectively crappy one actually.

The only reason Columbus day is even a Holiday is the Knights of Columbus were pressuring Roosevelt because they desperately wanted a holiday based around a Catholic, so Roosevelt relented and now America celebrates a man who never came to America.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2019 9:34 PM

On his second landing, Columbus started cutting cut off the nose and ears of men who refused to give him gold and allow them to rape their women.

On his third landing Columbus instituted a quota system for gold, and he cut off hands and forced people to wear their own hands around their neck for not meeting his gold quota.

Even by the standards of the time he was considered a brutal and sadistic man. He never cared about the finding of a new land outside of his obsession with gold.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2019 9:42 PM

I'm sure that most societies that have ever existed employed warfare and all that it might entail at one point or another. The difference (besides at whom the viciousness was directed) is that European savagery is the only we actually [italic]celebrate[/italic] and indeed, the only one for which we are told to express deep and abiding gratitude.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2019 10:06 PM

No one gives a fuck about your little youtube video dear r48.

[quote]WTF Does it matter if he didn’t touch the continent until his fourth trip?

Hon, he never touched America (as in the USA), that matters a lot when you are determining whether he merits an American federal holiday.

[quote]I’m very happy for the Vikings but they told nobody, so fuck them. Seriously. ”I discovered a cure for cancer, but I’m not telling anyone.” WTF?

Did you actually equate discovering a new landmass for Europeans to steal from its native people to discovering a cure for cancer?

And the difference is money. When Columbus landed he saw Amerindians wearing gold, so he thought CHA-CHING and reported back there was money to be made.

Leifs saga was reported in the Norse records, but because he didn't describe any material wealth to be collected it didn't get much attention.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2019 10:22 PM

Replies like R37, AKA “Whatabout Boris,” are almost too stupid to acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2019 10:25 PM

R37, fuck off. I'm sure if Muslims from the Middle East or Russians just came here and just started enslaving and selling women, you'd use that same argument too right? After all, we have rape in our society too so that makes it ok?

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 10:52 PM

Good, no reason to celebrate a genocidal monster.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2019 10:56 PM

Fuck Christopher Columbus. He promoted genocide and greed. He knew what the fuck he was doing when he decided to visit other territories and indigenous people. All for $$!

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2019 11:21 PM

Who the fuck gets that worked up defending the guy?

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2019 11:27 PM

No one, R54. Because we love in an angry negative society where we prefer hating over creating.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 5:46 AM

There's also no telling what the Vikings wanted to do or COULD do about their situation, r48.

They had intended to stay and grow in Greenland, etc. but couldn't survive the harsh winters. So maybe they intended to return and spread the news. They couldn't expect to keep it a secret forever. Maybe there was contact back and forth between Europe and the few literate Vikings didn't document it or care.

But I wouldn't rush to judgement as to why the Vikings didn't get the word out to everybody in Europe, especially in the Middle Ages, when cities in the same landed nations could have little contact or die out.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 7:08 AM

Think of the fun on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria,,,only young spanish and italian men, and NO FISH!

A FEAST for any sister who was lucky enough to be on board!

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 10:11 AM

We should make it Jeff Stryker day. That man blazed new trails.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote] R49: And the difference is money. When Columbus landed he saw Amerindians wearing gold, so he thought CHA-CHING and reported back there was money to be made....Leifs saga was reported in the Norse records, but because he didn't describe any material wealth to be collected it didn't get much attention.

You are completely incorrect. The real value in Greenland was the yearly walrus hunts. The men and boys would set to sea and up the west cost to the yearly Walrus conclave, and collect boatloads of ivory. They’d bring it back to Europe to trade for all the goods they needed and didn’t make themselves. Trade passed freely between them. Each year’s ivory harvest was worth more than its weight in gold, and typically worth 3 years equivalent earnings for similar sized villages. This lasted for hundreds of years. It was no secret where it come from.

Eventually, the European plaque damaged business, as did the opening of trade routes to better quality African ivory, and the onset of years of colder climate.

So, there is no validity to the claim that there was no money to be earned in Greenland, or that it was a secret.

Furthermore, don’t be a hypocrite and fault Columbus for seeking financial gain for risking his ambition, life’s work, life itself, and reputation. 99% of the world sacrifices their dignity On a daily basis in exchange for far less in financial renumeration.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2019 6:01 AM

Did Columbus order the enslavement or killing of peaceful natives on Hispaniola, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 6:03 AM

No, R60, just the ones who were waring and enslaving their brothers and sisters from the other side of the island.

Do you know how Lewis and Clark were told that native Americans chose their chiefs? When they needed a new chief, they would go to war. The most brutal and effective, most terrorizing and fearful warrior became chief. They were a Terrorocrocy. Just like every stone age civilization.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2019 6:32 AM

WAR AGAINST CHRISTMAS! GAYS ARE DESTROYING MARRIAGE! WE MUST WORSHIP CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS AND AT THE SAME TIME SNEER AT THE "EYE-TIES!"

Because: Fat Fuck Orange Turd is President Traitor.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2019 6:50 AM

Dear no one is talking about Greenland R59. Obviously Greenland went on to quickly become a major European territory.

We are talking about Leif's exploration to Canada. He landed in modern day Newfoundland, which he called Vinland. As far as we know he was the first white person explore the Americas. But no one did much with the information. His sister and a small group of people came to settle it but overall no one was that interested.

Blame Canada.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2019 11:54 AM

R61, did Columbus order or permit the killing of women and children? Genuinely curious, given what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2019 2:42 PM

R60, R64, please watch the video in R1. Its entertaining while still referencing and translating the original Italian journals that Columbus wrote.

R63, it also touches on Leif Ericsson’s ineffectual American excursion. You are aware that there have been countless explorers who landed on or departed from the American shores for the Old World or vice versa over millennia, but who never used their discovery to better the world?

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2019 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!