Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever traveled to a really remote location?

Like Pitcairn Island or Tristan da Cunha or anyplace that's off the typical tourist track

Any interesting stories?

by Anonymousreply 117January 4, 2020 8:11 PM

How about Easter Island?

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2019 3:44 AM

My parents took a repositioning cruise that went from Chile to Australia and stopped at Easter Island and Pitcairn. They loved it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2019 3:58 AM

OP, lots of times. The Peruvian Andes -- in some tiny towns tourists never visit. Camped out in the Atacama desert in Chile. Really barren but amazing place to stargaze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2019 4:04 AM

I was about 55 before I ever saw the Milky Way.

To those of you in cities or other light-flooded places, it’s a real thing and quite stunning. You can see it in PTown at the very end of the Cape. You can see it on Long Island in some places. You can obviously see it in other places. It’s really cool.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 4:21 AM

^ I should have added, you can see it in parts of the California desert, when it’s not all on fire, hahah 🔥

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 4:29 AM

I spent two weeks traveling from Beijing to Shanghai.

West Lake near Hongzhou qualifies as remote, but you're always surrounded by people in China. Even on a tea plantation, there's crowds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 4:41 AM

When I was 5 or 6 my parents took me on a cruise in some jungle. I do not remember much about it other than we went through a rainforest with a shrine to some monkey and ruins of an ancient city. I recall seeing a tiger, giant spiders, snakes and crocodiles. There were elephants that squirted water at our boat and a hippo that tried to attack us.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 6:15 AM

As kids my father always took us to underground cave tours. It can be scary, with just a light on your forehead. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2019 6:20 AM

I've never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2019 8:16 AM

Strange, I was randomly reading about Easter Island and then Pitcairn island earlier today. Pitcairn is basically an inbred sex cult.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2019 8:19 AM

Fargo.

By car.w

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2019 8:34 AM

What’s a repositioning Cruise?

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2019 8:35 AM

Trans-Siberian Railway

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2019 8:40 AM

R10 tell us more about the sexcult at Pitcairn

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2019 9:10 AM

In very remote northeast Canada on an island fishing. Scenic. But don't try it if you don't like camping, no phone, no internet, and no TV. Cabins were provided and a small staff was there to cook. Fly-in situation.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2019 9:21 AM

I’d love to do the whole transsibirian railway in a private compartment.. with my partner and some good drugs of course.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2019 9:47 AM

The Kyaiktiyo Pagoda in Myanmar. Coming down the steep mountain in a rickety bus was easily top 3 scariest moments of my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2019 9:58 AM

The Pentapolis of the M'Zab in the Algerian Sahara.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2019 9:58 AM

r12- reverse cowgirl, Rose

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2019 10:24 AM

Probably valleys of Eastern Bhutan, my partner and I were there with our guide and the driver, with only other people within what was probably 150km radius, surrounded by dozens of grazing yaks.

Parts of Faroe Islands, particularly the very north felt extremely remote, as does the Northeastern, barely populated coast of Iceland. *Very* desolate, where the only things that you see are flotsam and jetsam washed up on the shore that traveled from Siberia.

Wouldn't Ascension Island be in the same category as Tristan da Cunha or Pitcairn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2019 12:00 PM

St. Pierre et Miquelon. Like France was in 1971. But I was there last year.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2019 1:18 PM

St. Pierre et Miquelon is a short ferry ride away from Newfoundland. Exotic (in a way), yes, but it's not that remote. There are sparsely inhabited parts of Canada (Labrador or Baffin island, for instance) which I would consider far more remote and isolated.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2019 1:20 PM

Nothing exotic but I did go to camp at the tip of Northern Minnesota. That was mile after mile of nothing but forest and bunny rabbits. Apparently no predators for the rabbits. Which seems strange.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2019 1:30 PM

I went on an eco-tour to the Darien a few years ago. We flew in and landed on a strip of grass. There was a lot of pressure at one time to drive the Trans-America highway through the rain forest but fortunately the plan was stopped. I discovered an article in an old issue of National Geographic which was pure propaganda in favour of this initiative to develop this wild region.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2019 1:58 PM

Here's a long article about the trial and the history of Pitcairn, R14.

For a more positive aspect to the sordid story of the mutiny on the Bounty, see Bligh's amazing feat of navigation in bringing his launch to Timor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2019 2:11 PM

Mocha, Yemen. My father was a diplomat and we lived in Yemen in the 1960s. We went to Mocha a few times, and it was just a small desolate place because the harbor had filled with silt centuries before, and the town had been overtaken by sand.

Yemen in the Sixties was great place to see the Milky Way. We lived high in the mountains, and there was no light pollution because there was almost no electricity at all.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2019 2:26 PM

Have you been to Socotra, R26? I've always wanted to go there but the political situation in Yemen has been a determent factor for a number of years now.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2019 3:03 PM

r12 It's when ships are moving to a different part of the world to start a new series of cruises in a different location. Common example: The ships that do Alaska cruises (starting from Seattle, Vancouver, or Anchorage) in the summer often reposition to southern California in the winter, to do cruises along the California coast or to the Mexican Riviera. The process is reversed in the spring. Usually there are few ports--the main point of the cruise is to move the ship, not visit ports. So it's often much less expensive than a regular cruise.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2019 4:07 PM

In 1980 I had to travel from Tel Aviv to the Sinai Field Mission in the middle of the desert (several hours over perceptible "roads"--fortunately I wasn't driving). This was during the gradual process of Israel transferring the Sinai peninsula back to Egypt as a result of the peace agreement between those two countries.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2019 4:09 PM

R27 No, I never went to Socotra. It was very inaccessible because there was no airport and only small ships went there.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2019 4:11 PM

Has anyone here been to the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guinea?

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2019 5:06 PM

I went to Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Shaybah, out in the middle of Saudi Arabia's aptly named Empty Quarter. Rusty red dunes a few hundred feet high, in every direction for as far as you can see. It is otherworldly.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2019 5:10 PM

"Have you ever traveled to a really remote location?"

Not nearly remote enough!

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2019 5:13 PM

I went above 14th St once.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Speaking of Myanmar; Mount Popa. The number one Nat Temple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2019 5:16 PM

Mother took away my cot in the basement and demanded I sleep in my old bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2019 5:34 PM

New Jersey

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2019 5:36 PM

The Falkland Islands a couple of years ago. Several remote Indonesian islands, including Komodo.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2019 6:18 PM

Speaking of remote, I really want to visit the Faroe Islands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2019 6:38 PM

I have been to CANARSIE!

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2019 6:42 PM

My boyfriend and I got lost in the Amazon many years ago. Out of nowhere a man appeared on a motorcycle and managed to fit both of us on a precarious long ride to the outskirts of Leticia (Colombia).

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2019 8:27 PM

Were you walking? On horse? Boat?

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2019 8:32 PM

R42, in that area of the country (jungle outside Leticia), you were probably lucky not to run into FARC.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2019 8:37 PM

My boyfriend was from the area and claimed to know everything about how to navigate (we hiked after a bus ride), but that turned out to be an overstatement. Fortunately we never got bothered by FARC.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2019 8:43 PM

An island on the middle of a lake in northwest Ontario, with the nearest habitation hundreds of miles away. It was glorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2019 8:58 PM

Patagonia and Chile Sul.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2019 9:07 PM

A huge fireworks factory complex in Hepu, Guangxi, China, near the city of Beihai on China's southern coast. To get there we passed through small towns and villages which had no signs in English. Vendors on both sides of the road had tables of beautiful things to sell. Nobody spoke English except my hosts, and even them not very well. For most of the people in that area I was probably the only person with blond hair and blue eyes they will ever see in person. They stared at me in wonder. The food was good but not like our Chinese food; you had to crack open your own shellfish etc. Lots more work to eat.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2019 9:35 PM

Darrough Hot Springs in central Nevada. Now closed to the public. I only got to go because I met the lady who owns it now. An old18-room hotel that was glamorous back in its day. A geyser on the property supplies boiling hot water, which is mixed with cold and fed to a swimming pool. I was lucky to get to swim here one evening with friends. Even the water in the toilets and sinks is warm. A beautiful place but sadly a geothermal company is trying to buy it from her and build a power plant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2019 9:44 PM

I went to a MENSA gathering on Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2019 9:48 PM

Payne City , Macon - Bibb , GA .

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 10:16 PM

R24 The Darien Gap is one of the most dangerous areas in the world. I'm surprised there are tours there.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2019 10:26 PM

To R18

I too spent a week in Ghardiai back in the eighties. Remarkable place. In that trip, though, I ended up in Djado, even more remote. Too dangerous to visit now.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2019 10:36 PM

I would love to see the Mongolian Gobi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 12:12 AM

Has anyone here been to St Helena?

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 2:27 AM

I spent a summer working on an oceanographic research vessel in the Bering Sea so I've been to the Pribilofs and Nunivak Island. Not much there but seal rookeries.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 2:57 AM

R56, that sounds awesome!

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 3:00 AM

My driver in Aswan, Egypt took me on a three hour drive into the Sahara and down to Lake Nasser. Saw only one other car during our drive.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote]Has anyone here been to St Helena?

Only the one in California.

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2019 3:11 AM

R58 When I visited Egypt we took a tour bus on the desert highway from Cairo to Luxor. I was told at the time that you needed permission from the Egyptian military before you were permitted to use the highway which likely explains the few vehicles on the road. I should mention that there was a government official on the bus keeping an eye on us.

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2019 2:06 PM

R52 While visiting a rain forest lodge in the Darien we were told that the coast could be dangerous with the danger of kidnapping. However the forest is so dense and hilly that it would take a lot of effort for bad guys to infiltrate the region inland. At the time of my visit the main concern was the terrorist activity in Colombia so the Darien was perceived as a barrier.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2019 2:14 PM

Yeah I guess. I live in a very remote location.

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2019 3:15 PM

R61, when did you visit the Darien? As a kid, I was always fascinated with the place. But having spent time in jungle/rainforest, I know the conditions would be too oppressive for me to want to visit.

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2019 5:09 PM

Why is everyone so fascinated with suburban Connecticut? Are the Stepford Wives that dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2019 5:28 PM

R60 My driver told me that he had to apply for permission to make the journey and to have a backup driver as well. This was also the case when I've been driven from Luxor to Hurghada there had to be two licensed drivers on board. The driver had to show his paperwork at checkpoints along the way.

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 5:32 PM

i went to the Mall of America once. I qualify.

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 5:34 PM

I was in the Falkland Islands for an afternoon. I was supposed to cruise around the island for a couple of days and see the king penguin colony before heading across the Great Southern Ocean for the Antarctic cruise I was on, but a storm was coming in so the ship hauled off into the ocean as the sun set. So I only had a lovely drive from the airport to Staney, the largest town in the islands, and an hour of poking around the town before taking ship. The island landscapes were lovely and the stores full of homey British imported goods.

I'd always wanted to see a storm on the Great Southern Ocean, BTW, I'd read about waves that became huge walls of water a mile apart, and that ships would climb up one wave and down to the next like a car going over a range of hills. But we only skirted the edges of the storm, because the captain of our ship wasn't a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 6:14 PM

R53 do you think Ghardaia is deadly dangerous right now? It's quite a big town. I am interested to do a faculty exchange but my European university is completely uninterested and dumbfounded and the state departments all have DANGER warnings. Yet the people are so nice!

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2019 6:26 PM

PS . Djado? Is this in Algeria or NIGER?

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Koh Samui in Thailand back in 1990 when it was still undiscovered. Just an airstrip carved out t of the island's jungle . Typhoon for four days in my hut (alone) and just drank Mekong whiskey and pined for the hunk next door.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2019 6:32 PM

Yes. Jonestown, Guyana! And I'm never going anywhere like that again!

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2019 6:34 PM

Friend of mine worked in the Darien, doing field work, in the 70s/80s. Really enjoyed it despite the main danger having been dysentery, et al.

I've been to Spiti/Kannur circuit in Indian Himalaya--basically a one lane road on the edge of mountains. Beautiful area--people see snow leopard in winter.

Have been to Everest region and Brazilian Amazon--traveling hammock class through unpopulated areas.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2019 6:39 PM

It's not really a remote location but I've been to North Korea. I doubt many people can say that.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2019 6:45 PM

I travelled once to me. It was a cold place and a truly traumatic experience. I left immediately and never went back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2019 6:57 PM

R63 I visited the Darien in 2007. I"m 99% sure that we stayed at the Cana Field Station (not 100% positive as I no longer have documentation) and then hiked up the Pirre Mountain Trail and stayed in tents over night. The trail was steep and muddy - I fell several times. And of course very humid. The most exciting experience was the invasion of the field station by a herd of peccaries. They looked huge - I'd always imaged them to be much smaller. I also saw a cougar on the landing strip.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2019 8:31 PM

The true middle of the nowhere in Sahara, at the Tunisian/Algerian border, in 2008. I went to a conference in Tunisia that year and, as an excursion, the organizers decided to take us to the most remote part of the country at the Algerian border after first doing the usual touristy things (Star Wars filming locale, Tozeur) We slept in the tents where only other creatures were scorpions, after we had been told how to proof the tent against the desert critters. Standing under the star speckled sky in the middle of the desert with no sounds anywhere was truly magical. The only people for a hundred miles around us were 20 or so conference participants, as many camels, and the two guides.

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2019 8:57 PM

A few years ago i stayed a couple of nights at a lodge in the middle of the Namib desert. While technically not *that* remote (a few hours’ drive from the nearest towns) it really felt like you were in the middle of nowhere and the only person on earth. Spectacularly beautiful too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 9:09 PM

Took a bus from Venezuela to Brazil that passed through Yanomami territory. The landscapes (tepuis) were shown in thr Pixar movie UP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Tepuis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2019 9:45 PM

I once spent a few hours in Gander, Newfoundland while our plane refueled.

by Anonymousreply 80October 15, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]The only people for a hundred miles around us were 20 or so conference participants, as many camels, and the two guides.

But I'll be there was a Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 81October 15, 2019 10:46 PM

I've been to Rakiura/Stewart Island at the bottom of New Zealand and the little outlying islands (the ones you are allowed to go to). You can see the Southern Lights there - it's really beautiful.

I've also been to the Penguin Post Office in Antarctica.

by Anonymousreply 82October 15, 2019 11:31 PM

r82, that sounds really cool

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2019 2:33 AM

It was! Luckily I live in New Zealand so it wasn't too far away but I really recommend Rakiura to anyone who is coming here on holiday. It's beautiful but often overlooked because of it's location and the expense of getting there. Ulva Island is my favourite place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2019 3:51 AM

^^^despite the fact it rhymes with vulva....

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2019 3:51 AM

Far North Kimberley Region of Northwestern Australia.

Spent 1 year hiking all around the remote region of Cape Levesque.

There with a WWF photographer and guide to discover rock art. I recall camping one night on a riverbank (that lead to the sea) and remaining awake terrified the huge saltie (saltwater croc) we spotted from a bluff earlier in the day would snatch me. Several months later, while hiking I stumbled across a sunning brown snake (2nd most poisonous in Oz), and fortunately, it seemed as startled as I. (Backed away from it vvvveeerrryyyy slowly).

Stunningly beautiful and rugged place. And upon returning to "civilisation" along the far Northwestern coast of Western Australia (far north of Broome), it took some time to reacclimate.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2019 10:30 AM

[quote]I once spent a few hours in Gander, Newfoundland while our plane refueled.

Did you write a Tony Award-winning musical about the experience?

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2019 10:57 AM

To R68

Re: Ghardiai. It wasn't particularly dangerous then, but given the wave of tourist kidnappings in Algeria, the Toureg insurrection that's been going on now for 30 years, I don't think it's wise. Because were you kidnapped, I can't see it ending well. You are right, though: the incredible hospitality of the people makes the current situation sad. Perhaps one day you will be able to drive up to the great rift valley and see the seven cities below.

Re: Djado, one of the great old cities on the salt route: It's in North Eastern Niger near the border with Libya. Very beautiful. Slowly returning to the mud from which it was formed.

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2019 1:33 PM

Bluff, South Island, New Zealand

Hokitika, South Island, New Zealand (Wildfoods Festival. Huhu grubs washed down with Monteith's Dark. Yum!)

Reykjavic, Iceland, 1975. The entire airport consisted of one runway and quonset hut.

by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2019 1:53 PM

30 years ago, when I moved to Las Vegas, I was conned into go on a trip to a place called Elko Nevada.

I was surprised that the natives walked upright.

by Anonymousreply 90October 19, 2019 1:56 PM

Has anyone been to Mayotte or Reunion Island?

by Anonymousreply 91October 19, 2019 3:07 PM

Is Colchester, England considered a remote location?

by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2019 3:19 PM

Thirty years ago next month, I arrived in Tashkent by airplane at around 2AM and boarded a rickety bus for a six hour drive to Samarkand on a barren, two-lane road. It was magical. A full moon lit the landscape. We stopped a few times for passengers to get off and stretch our legs (and pee on the roadside). I have never seen so many stars in the sky despite the full moon.

by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2019 3:36 PM

I'll give a great blowjob to anyone here who can demonstrate that they've been to Diego Garcia and tell us what's really going on there.

by Anonymousreply 94October 19, 2019 11:37 PM

Diego has gay face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2019 2:33 AM

How wonderful that someone got to visit Djado - what a beautiful surreal place in the middle of a vast desert and lost in time

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2019 8:54 AM

I was in Cabo Verde for a plane refueling

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2019 9:18 AM

I went to a remote area of Japan where those monkeys hang around hot baths. It was a long hike there and fucking freezing but worth it because you got to mingle with the monkeys but they just ignored everyone hanging around.

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2019 9:30 AM

Fetlar feels remote, to the north there is nothing until the Arctic circle. Including me, population 67. Funny seeing mention of Tristan da Cunha, I set up early internet connectivity with a sat phone many years ago, two boats a year visited unless you chartered one.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2019 9:31 AM

What do you do for a living, r99?

by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2019 5:15 AM

I worked many years for a large, international nonprofit organization, and through them, I traveled to many exotic places:

Kathmandu, Nepal

Ulan Bator, Mongolia

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Puno, Peru

La Paz, Bolivia

Lahore, Pakistan

Yangon, Myanmar

Sana'a, Yemen

Juba, South Sudan

Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire

And lots of other places, especially in Asia and Africa. Exotic travel was one of the perks of working for an organization that does really good work.

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2019 6:53 AM

I just left Kathmandu, Nepal yesterday where I stayed for five days. While it isn't really remote, you don't see many western tourists.

No, I didn't rough it. I stayed in the Hyatt there. I booked a flight that flew us over to the Himalayan mountains and also hired a driver to take me see the many ancient temples and old parts of the city. Very interesting and unique place to visit. I'm a fairly experienced traveler and I can say that it was challenging, but the local people were very nice.

And in case anyone is interested in the men, I doubt if many of you would find the Nepalese men attractive, but there were a few that caught my eye, but I wasn't looking.

by Anonymousreply 102October 30, 2019 5:17 AM

I live in Kansas City Missouri and I drove all the way to Harrisonville once. But only once.

by Anonymousreply 103October 30, 2019 5:31 AM

R102 I’m having trouble processing Kathmandu, the Hyatt and “you don’t see many western tourists”.

There are queues of people waiting to make the final ascent on Everest, FFS!

by Anonymousreply 104October 30, 2019 7:48 AM

I took i20 straight through Atlanta alone in a motor car.

by Anonymousreply 105October 30, 2019 9:34 AM

Ouarzazate, Morocco it's on the edge of the Sahara desert. We drove over the Atlas Mountains it felt like I had time travelled 2000 years into the past.

by Anonymousreply 106October 30, 2019 10:39 AM

well about the best I can do is feeble Kauai.....................we rented a private house on the beach almost at the end of the road by tunnells beach in the far north shore and next to that is nothing but rugged hills/mountains and state park and nothing.........the most beautiful scenery Ive ever had the priv of seeing. Big sur is a close second in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 107October 30, 2019 11:43 AM

R97 Cabo Verde ( Cape Verde) isn't really remote, I bought a house there for £15K 10 years ago. The weather is great in winter.

They get about 800,000 tourists a year now,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 30, 2019 12:53 PM

[quote]I live in Kansas City Missouri and I drove all the way to Harrisonville once. But only once.

Why would you ever leave Kansas City? Isn't everything up-to-date there?

by Anonymousreply 109October 30, 2019 4:03 PM

R100 A network engineer.

by Anonymousreply 110October 30, 2019 4:32 PM

Kathmandu has grown tremendously in the last 20-30 years. The number of people who go to Everest (or even the nearby region) are a trickle in relation to all that and the size of the tourist quarter, even when I was there in 1989, is a tiny part of the greater area of Kathmandu.

by Anonymousreply 111October 30, 2019 5:46 PM

Butler, Illinois

by Anonymousreply 112October 30, 2019 7:42 PM

I did archaeological field work on King Christian Island and on Cornwallis Island in the Canadian Arctic in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 113October 30, 2019 7:49 PM

R113, that sounds really cool. You're like the Indiana Jones of the datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 114October 31, 2019 12:05 AM

R107 could you tell me how to find that house on Kauai? I have some friends who want to set up a trip to that part of the island, just like you describe. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 115January 4, 2020 1:30 PM

R115 Not R107 but the north shore is a lot of rain, like daily. South side at Poiku has a lot nicer weather. Is Postcards Cafe still on the north shore?

by Anonymousreply 116January 4, 2020 7:25 PM

I've never been. but 2 people I know say it's one of the most beautiful places in the world. -R115

by Anonymousreply 117January 4, 2020 8:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!