Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moving to Canada

Is it hard?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 11:49 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2019 2:26 AM

OP wants a piece of Justin Trudeau!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2019 2:36 AM

WAY harder than it is to get into US. Despite their claim to be so welcoming to immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2019 2:40 AM

I've been curious about this for a while since I’m interested in moving to another country. What’s the easiest first-world english speaking country to immigrate to?

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 3:09 AM

Montreal’s a fabulous city! Especially since you can spend 9 months talking about how great the other 3 months are.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 3:14 AM

I had once considered Australia, but after going over their immigration requirements they seem to want to attract younger immigrants with specific skills. I have some of these skills, but am much older than what they are looking for.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 3:16 AM

Just go and be broke and live on the state.

Seems to work for the other immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 3:32 AM

Instead of trying to escape there we need to fight to make our country just as good, or even better than theirs. That means taxing the rich and decreasing military funding and using it to make higher education and healthcare completely free and universal, banning guns, and investing in our infrastructure ( airports, railroads, freeways). It means having a comprehensive national housing program to ensure everyone has access to affordable housing .It also means working on desegregating cities by issuing reparations to African- Americans and by changing the way public schools are funded so that schools all throughout the nation are funded an equal amount per pupil and not by the income of the people living near said school. And don't give me the bullshit that the USA can't. The USA absolutely can, it is the richest country in the world with the most important companies located there (Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Boeing, Coca Cola etc) as well as the most powerful. Even cutting military spending we would still be the most powerful by far. The real reasons for not changing are : Ignorance, fear of change, belief that the US will always be the best no matter what, racism, and fear of corporate backlash. But if most Americans believe it's possible it can absolutely happen.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2019 3:35 AM

#8, the Deplorables are multiplying faster than others. The dumbing of America is scary.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2019 3:38 AM

Lived in Montreal for 25 years - loved it. And then as I got older, the cold and snow was too much.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2019 3:38 AM

Don't come here, Canada seems set to vote Trudeau out for a conservative government.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2019 3:39 AM

[quote] first-world english speaking country

Racist.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2019 3:48 AM

I would go to New Zealand just to support Jacinda Ardern. She's great.

But I don't know what their immigration requirements are.

(OP, the Canadians are far more likely to let you in if you're bilingual, so start studying French.)

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2019 3:55 AM

R12 I’m sorry I’m not bilingual, dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2019 4:17 AM

I wonder what if things will ever become bad enough in the USA that it will cause an Exodus of Americans to Canada. I hope not, but it seems like it with the way things are going.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 10:35 PM

AMERICA STAY OUT

We will build a wall and Americans will pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 10:42 PM

OP, if these things are true, you MAY be able to get into Canada.

- You know French and English

- You have a college degree, at minimum a BA, with a MA or Ph.D. even better

- You are under 40

- You have no criminal record and are relatively healthy

- You have a fairly substantial savings account (50K or more)

- Your job skills are in an area where Canada needs workers

If you aren't those things, it may be harder unless you find a Canadian employer to hire you, and that is very, very hard.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 10:44 PM

True story - at one time in the 2000s Canada had a shortage of exotic dancers - So if you could get sponsorship from a club, you could get a work visa to live in a Canada and work as an exotic dancer.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 10:45 PM

OP, Canada is very racist, plus they don't like new immigrants.

Just wait until the US invades Canada and then you can travel North to your heart's desire.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]Just wait until the US invades Canada and then you can travel North to your heart's desire.

History suggests otherwise....

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 11:01 PM

Apparently you only need to be age 16 or thereabouts to play Junior League hockey in Canada, and they welcome foreign talent.

Many a hopeful dropout American has crossed the border with hopes to make their fortune on the ice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 11:10 PM

[quote] History suggests otherwise....

History shows Canada has never topped the US, even in the age of odious Donal Trump Canada still far behind.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 11:13 PM

Every time I’ve gone to Canada for work in the last ten years, I’ve been offered a packet on immigration. It’s refreshing to be invited in rather than the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 11:13 PM

Stupid Americans don't grasp the difference between refugees and immigrants. Plus, they think the whole world is pantingly eager to accept Americans as immigrants.

The reality: if you're not an asylum seeker, every first-world country has strict immigration standards - standards that the majority of Americans cannot meet.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 11:31 PM

Canada, Australia, and NZ are primary target countries for Chinese investment and immigration. Accordingly, visa and immigration rules have been greatly tightened in all of these places.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 11:36 PM

When you get to the border tell them they are responsible for Justin Bieber and in return you demand they let you in.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 11:39 PM

When you get to the border, present hole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 11:43 PM

Are you hot? You could seduce Celine Dion.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!