Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Downey Jr is Dr. Dolittle in “Dolittle” (2020)

Will it be better than the Eddie Murphy movies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2020 9:33 PM

She's not even pretending to do anything except cash fat paychecks these days, is she?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote]She's not even pretending to do anything except cash fat paychecks these days, is she?

Well, at least he's not Depp.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2019 11:37 PM

Middle age is starting to hit him hard. His booze and drug-fueled years are catching up.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2019 11:40 PM

Stop with the remakes!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 12:23 AM

Just no!

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 12:44 AM

Will Sarah Jessica Parker be cast as the horse?

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]She's not even pretending to do anything except cash fat paychecks these days, is she?

It's actually pretty upsetting considering how talented he's shown himself to be time and time again. I'm not entirely sure if he's artistically driven anymore, and what sucks is that he's in a prime point in his career to not only do something challenging himself, but fund worthwhile projects for genuine filmmakers. It's the least he could do after participating in an enjoyable flattening of cinematic culture.

Whatever... have fun with your talking fucking giraffe.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 2:04 AM

So funny, I just saw the preview on TV and kept thinking Javier Bardem really has evened out his accent for a change.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2019 2:09 AM

R7 He was amazing in Chaplin!

But yes, I guess his priorities have changed. And why should he put in so much work and energy to create a character, when he can just do his usual thing and get extremely rich with it?

This looks like a completely boring movie with a way overqualified cast, but it will still be a box office hit. All the kids will want to see it - Universal's answer to all the Disney remakes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2019 2:16 AM

Directed by the writer of Traffic... just saying.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2019 11:18 AM

Oh, for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2019 11:19 AM

Jodie Foster once said that she was frustrated with RDJ when he was having his addiction issues because he was just throwing his career away. She said he was one of the only actors she'd ever seen who just didn't have to "work" to be an actor. He had enviable natural talent and was completely and utterly wasting it. What's a pity is that he hasn't taken on meatier roles. Who knows-maybe those trigger demons.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2019 4:10 PM

That's a good point. Not only was he fortunate enough to headline one of the largest, if not the largest, cinematic franchise in the world, but picked up another Oscar nod for Tropic Thunder... I mean, I remember the dude's comeback and it was pretty glorious.

For him to squander it by making shit projects is just annoying, but whatever. Get that money I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2019 6:29 PM

It's his wife's project. So possibly an act of duty on behalf of love. Apparently there was so much rewriting and reediting after the first bad test screenings that they've had to disguise his mouth with objects in several shots.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2020 4:34 PM

omg such a shit movie

worst of year

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2020 4:47 PM

He seems like some old gay blade who wasted his life …...

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2020 4:49 PM

This doesn't look that bad. I'm getting Narnia flashbacks which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2020 5:10 PM

Does he ever bathe, wash his hair, and shave?

If I saw a physician or naturalist (when not in the field) who looked like that, I would slowly edge my way out of the door.

My late mother's orthopedic surgeon looked like that the last time I saw him. I refused to let her return to him. Since then he's been suspended repeatedly and censured for operating under the influence.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2020 5:19 PM

When I saw the commercial I thought how good Kevin Kline looked.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2020 6:20 PM

R6 reminded me they used to date and were both pretty fucking adorable. She dumped him because he wouldn't stop with the drugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2020 6:42 PM

The Pushmepullyou is two guys with a double headed dildo, this time out.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2020 6:54 PM

Will Tom be jealous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2020 8:53 PM

New York Magazine: Dolittle is Anti-Cinema

"I wasn’t expecting Dolittle to be good, exactly, but I wasn’t expecting it to be quite this bad. (This) is the kind of movie whose incompetence boggles the mind and corrupts the soul. You go into this thing expecting silly insouciance and walk away from it questioning reality. It is anti-cinema.

The problems are manifold, but let’s start with the most tragic one: Downey, a delightfully inventive, generational talent who has been borged into the Marvel machine for the past decade-plus, seems determined to sabotage this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2020 8:57 PM

It would be fascinating to read a full behind the scenes article about this $175 million disaster. Apparently it has to make $430m just to break even.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2020 1:04 AM

He has two kids under the age of 10, maybe he and his wife wanted a film of his they could actually see.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2020 1:50 AM

Variety didn't like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2020 2:01 AM

Probably R22. Tom once said that he got sick on set and RDJ invited him to his trailer to "make him feel better". Tom said that in hollywood, that's when you normally say "no thank you I'm good", but that RDJ was really sweet to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2020 2:02 AM

Tom and Rami have to get in line behind Jude Law.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2020 3:13 AM

[Quote] Will it be better than the Eddie Murphy movies?

The soundtrack certainly won't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2020 4:03 AM

They cut the Christmas Moose’s scenes. Said he was chewing the scenery. But he said the scenery was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2020 4:31 AM

Another CGI nightmare where everything looks like a big fucking cartoon except the gorgeous Antonio Banderas.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2020 4:53 AM

Another CGI nightmare where everything looks like a big fucking cartoon except the gorgeous Antonio Banderas.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2020 4:53 AM

Do little acting, get big paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2020 4:59 AM

So with whom is he hooking up now on the downlow now that craigslist personals are gone?

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2020 8:38 PM

The Most Brutal Burns From Today's Dolittle Reviews

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2020 9:18 PM

R7 Is it? Is it pretty upsetting? Are you pretty upset?

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2020 9:38 PM

He just gets better-looking to me the older he gets. When he was young he wasn’t at all cute IMO.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2020 10:22 PM

R37 You have daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2020 10:24 PM

No, R37 has hobo issues.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2020 9:07 PM

Whose idea was this piece of crap? Him or his wife. 180 million dollars? Are you kidding me. His accent is hilarious. It serves him right. He is so smug and full of himself now.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2020 9:17 PM

I had an autographed picture of him from about 1990, when I collected such things.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]I had an autographed picture of him from about 1990, when I collected such things.

Best eBay it as fast as possible darling if you want to claw some cash.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2020 6:13 AM

After test screenings made the studio realise it was disastrous, the movie's humour was further dumbed down to appeal to asian audiences. Expect to see a lot more of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2020 6:43 AM

The Atlantic buried it [quote]Doolittle Is One of the Worst Movies in Years...

[quote]The new film starring Robert Downey Jr. as a doctor who talks to animals is transfixing at times, if only because it’s such a disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2020 9:04 AM

He substitute-hosted Ellen this past week. I had set it to DVR when I heard Rami Malek was a guest, but I didn't know RDJ was doing the show. His looks and behavior were cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2020 7:10 PM

I am really wondering if he is back on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2020 10:25 PM

I don't think he was ever completely off drugs R46.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2020 12:06 AM

It makes sense the way he's been acting. And I'm not buying that perfect marriage, they putting in our faces.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2020 12:24 AM

I can't stand RDJ, he's so smug and precious.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2020 12:45 AM

I just saw it yesterday. It has to be the worst movie I've ever seen him in. I could understand Michael Sheen better than him.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2020 2:46 AM

It sounds like it's a huge bomb, which is why it was released in January.

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2020 2:50 AM

R2, he's really no different than Depp with the constant line of crap projects.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2020 3:10 AM

r49

Maybe he thinks YOU'RE smug and pretentious

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2020 3:13 AM

I remember when Robert Downey Jr was an actor.

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 5:07 PM

I wonder how much money was spent on hiring A list talent to do voiceover work. It's not like the majority would recognize their voices anyway.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 5:15 PM

A couple of hundred thou for the lesser talent, but you'd have to guess that the big names like Thompson, Cena, Fiennes and Malek would have to have been at least a mil each. Esp when Downey got a guaranteed 20 mil, plus backend -- which won't be happening now. Which helps explain where the first bit of the 175m budget went.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2020 3:28 PM

Another CGI movie coming is Call Of The Wild starring Harrison Ford. The trailer has the wolf making cute facial expressions.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2020 4:11 PM

Boy, am I glad I don't have kids who might pressure me into taking them to these CGI shitfests.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2020 4:24 PM

Harrison must be bored shitless with Calista and the kids if he's still working at his age.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2020 6:07 PM

Call of the Wild looks awful.

OT, but has anyone heard anything about that Blake Lively film THE RHYTHM SECTION? The trailer makes it look like fun, but this is a January release...

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2020 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!