Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fourth Debate

This Tuesday. Biggest primary debate in history. Anyone else super NOT looking forward to it?

Twelve candidates — Tulsi and Castro can't even fit into the preview image! — on the same stage will ensure a circus as it is, plus four of them haven't (yet) qualified for the next debate and so will come out swinging hard like cornered animals with nothing to lose. For the first time in this primary, I'm seriously considering skipping it and just reading your hot takes the next day. This is all getting too intense for me; I don't want to watch a bloodbath that'll only make it harder for Dems to rally around the eventual nominee. 😕

On the other hand, some voters want to see the candidates' fighting skills before they send one of them into the thunderdome to take on Trump. I don't know, what are your thoughts on this? Will you tune in? Are you worried for your fave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2019 5:35 PM

I feel bad now for making fun of Bernie's dry mouth during the last debate, clearly he was not feeling well. His people should make sure there is a tin of altoids or cepacol lozenges at the podium in case he needs them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2019 12:20 AM

r1 Eek, I had forgotten about that, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2019 12:23 AM

I hope this is the last debate with a 2% popularity threshold. Time to wrap this shit up and focus on the big dogs, 6 candidates max. Trump is raising a hundreds of million a quarter. We need to start consolidating to help Dems up and down the ballot's with their fundraising efforts. With 12-15 candidates, Dems are splitting their money between the Presidential candidates instead of other areas of need within the Party. After Tuesday we would have had 4 debates with fringe candidates, time to move on.

We cannot afford to lose this election. If we don't have the money we will be in major trouble. Republicans are more unified than ever and flush with more cash then ever before. It's time to end the games.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2019 12:26 AM

r3 Yes, the November one has 3%. Here are the criteria for that one:

[quote]165,000 individual donors and one of two polling requirements - 3% in four national or early-state polls, or 5% in two early state polls, all between Sept. 13 and midnight seven days before the debate. Also, at least 600 unique donors in at least 20 states, United States territories or D.C.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2019 12:43 AM

The big things to look for:

1) Will the candidates turn their guns on co-frontrunner Warren, since nobody has really challenged her yet?

2) How will Bernie come across post-heart attack?

3) Will the name Hunter Biden come up? Will the Dems unite behind Joe against Trump, or is the nepotism just too much?

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2019 12:44 AM

r5 Yes, you nailed it. That'll be in everyone's minds going into the debate.

I seriously think neither the moderators nor the other candidates will challenge Bernie on, well, anything. For obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2019 1:17 AM

Bernie has requested some special accommodations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2019 2:42 AM

r7 First of all, you're awful. Second of all, I'm oddly proud of myself for knowing who that man is.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2019 2:51 AM

When are we going to get a debate with just the top 5? I love me some Beto and Tulsi does make me giggle when she goes after Kamala, but isn't it time stop this nonsense and focus on the big dogs?

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2019 2:57 AM

r9 Eight of them have already made the November debate, so... December?

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2019 2:59 AM

Who needs all of this time to make a decision? It is going to be a very long year until the election.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2019 3:05 AM

Why is Cory Booker still in the race/debate? He's not even remotely going to win. And being a closet case doesn't help him.

Kamala Harris is wearing down too, although not as bad as Booker. She's like the old nag that keeps galloping out no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2019 3:06 AM

Booker had a nice Q3 haul and has made the November debate. That's why he's still in the race.

Ask rather why Bennet is still in the race, releasing plans left and right. Or Messam, who doesn't even send out emails anymore and whose staff have accused him of mistreatment (he didn't pay them).

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2019 3:11 AM

Warren, Biden, Bernie. Let them duke it out and we all vote for whomever is left standing. Everyone else is a joke candidate.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote]Will the name Hunter Biden come up? Will the Dems unite behind Joe against Trump, or is the nepotism just too much?

I'm sure Hunter Biden doesn't hesitate to capitalize on his name, but I'm not sure I'm see where nepotism was involved in Ukraine. Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2019 3:19 AM

r14 You're basing that on national polls, which are meaningless. Let's wait and see what polling out of Iowa looks like at the end of January. I might agree with you if those numbers are still the same as they are now. Which I highly doubt they'll be.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2019 3:21 AM

r14 I'd say Warren, Biden, Berne, Kamal, Pete and maybe Beto or Booker. That's the ball game folks. We have that billionaire on the stage Tuesday. I'm excited to see if he will be a Bloomberg type of leader or just another rich guy with delusions. We need to replace Biden in the moderate wing just incase Warren implodes. We cannot let Bernie or Biden be the fall back option. Pete is alight, but he needs to inject some energy into this debate.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2019 3:22 AM

These are the big five Joseph R. Biden Jr., Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Pete Buttigieg, and Andrew Yang,

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2019 3:25 AM

r16 those bottom tier candidates haven't moved i over 6 months! Pete moved up because he isn't senator 1010 running this cycle and he's an articulate gay vet, aka different. Besides the Warren, Biden and Bernie 3-way race, the polls have consistently shown an aversion to the bottom tier candidates. Each of the under 4% crowd have glaring issues that make them almost laughable as viable options.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2019 3:25 AM

r18 I don't think Yang is above Kamala in the polls. Why did you pull him up?

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2019 3:26 AM

Thanks for posting this, can’t wait to tune in!

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2019 3:35 AM

Hillary, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2019 4:16 AM

For R15 - you may want to starting choosing different news sources.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2019 5:13 AM

[quote]those bottom tier candidates haven't moved i over 6 months!

Polls in Iowa typically start diverging from the national polls around this time. You truly sound like this is your first election.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2019 10:03 AM

Girlfriends are going to kill each other tomorrow, aren't they? 😕

(Be sure to turn the sound on at the bottom, unless you're a lip reader.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2019 2:02 PM

R23, I'm not R15, but I don't think he was questioning what you said about Biden, it was just your use of the word "nepotism." That word implies Biden himself hired his son.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 1:38 AM

No, nepotism can also mean Biden arranged to have his son hired, though that would be closer to cronyism. It is probably true that Hunter would never have been offered that job if his dad weren't who he is, but that's not Biden's fault. Crotchfruit sometimes benefits off their parents' names recognition like that, and you can't prevent that completely.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote] The big things to look for:

4) Will Biden tell another long convoluted rambling story about Corn Pop and Esther Williams back in the day when he was a lifeguard in Delaware/things his dad always told him/that time he saw those 2 very well-dressed men kissing as a young lad and realized they were born that way and it was OK!

5) Will he shake his fists or jab his finger at the camera doing his Angry Old Man routine?

I cringe every time he opens his mouth these days.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 2:58 AM

There's nothing in that opinion column from The Hill (a terrible news source) that suggests to me that Hunter Biden displayed anything worse than lousy judgment. It's not nepotism and it pales next to the Trump kids.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2019 5:27 AM

Will Bernie ask for a chair?

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2019 4:08 PM

So the candidates are walking around the stage, one by one to get their bearings. Bernie just now with Jane hovering right beside him for some reason. Why is she even there, let alone stuck to him like glue? None of the other spouses are there. Is she his minder, babysitter, nurse or what? Every time he’s appeared since his heart attack she’s been right there, never more that a few inches away. Why is she constantly hovering like this? It doesn’t look good.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2019 7:01 PM

I’m so happy to be a republican and not have to partake in this.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2019 7:11 PM

And why is Amy the only one in a skirt/dress? Those other women are dressed completely inappropriate. Elizabeth Warren looks like she’s wearing yoga or ski pants. Pant suits are not appropriate for a female candidate. They should be in a dress or skirt. It’s highly disrespectful.

If I were a democrat, Mrs. Klobuchar would have my vote thus far. The rest of these girls need to be taught some manners.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2019 7:16 PM

Nate Silver:

[quote]There aren't many groups right now among whom Sanders is doing better than Warren. Rather, there are some among whom they're about tied, some where she's doing slightly better, and some where she's doing much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2019 7:42 PM

Nate Silver:

[quote]e.g. While a higher *proportion* of Sanders' voters are not college grads, he has considerably fewer supporters overall. So, actually, more noncollege D support Warren than Sanders. The same holds for lower-income voters, and for nonwhite voters (except maybe Hispanics).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2019 7:44 PM

Harry Enten:

[quote]So where are we heading into tonight: 1. We have co-frontrunners in Biden/Warren. 2. Sanders stalled in the mid 10s. 3. Buttigieg hoping for a breakthrough in Iowa. 4. A slew of candidates on the stage tonight who may not make the Nov. debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2019 7:50 PM

Steyer is the Great Unknown right now, correct? I've never seen him in a debate format before. How crazy would it be if he abandoned his main (and only?) anti-Trump message and just started attacking candidates left and right?

Oh, and I'll create a live-viewing thread shortly, for those who intend to livepost through it. Don't know yet if I have the stomach for it myself...

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2019 7:59 PM

I'm already tired of this crap. I'm not even going to watch. Anyway, by the time the actual primary gets to my state, it will be down to the top two most likely.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2019 8:07 PM

I’m with you, OP. 12 candidates all trying to have their breakout moment, talking over each other and trying to answer questions in 60 second allotments (or whatever the limit is) is RIDICULOUS. Ir’s a fucking clown car.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2019 8:10 PM

The fact that there are two more candidates on the stage than at the last debate is outrageous and goes against common sense. With each new debate, there should be FEWER candidates, not more. 🥴

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2019 8:10 PM

R40 Yeah and that last debate was fucking exhausting. This one will be even worse. Who the fuck is making these insane decisions? The DNC?

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2019 8:17 PM

Yes, R41, with input from the candidates. They're bending over backward to prevent the whining from candidates or supporters about how they're being unfairly excluded. It's not really working that well.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2019 8:20 PM

Yeah, the DNC decided to extend the deadline for the October debate and twelve candidates is the natural result of that decision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2019 8:21 PM

All these women in pant suits should be banned from the debate and the election.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2019 8:23 PM

[quote]I’m so happy to be a republican and not have to partake in this.

Since four states have cancelled their 2020 GOP presidential primaries the GOP candidate is already chosen and voting is optional.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2019 8:38 PM

So...stupid question, but anyway, here goes:

How do you know when these debates are held? I tried googling “2019 town hall debate schedule,” and all that came up was SNL skits and rehashes of very old debates.

Can somebody provide a link or something? Cannot understand why this is so hard to find?!?!

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2019 9:48 PM

*were

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2019 9:49 PM

It's in the link that's included in the opening post. I think it's open to all, not just to NYT subscribers.

[quote]WHEN IT STARTS Tuesday, Oct. 15, 8 p.m. ET

[quote]WHERE TO WATCH nytimes.com, The New York Times app, CNN, CNN International, CNN en Español and CNN.com

You usually have to google "fourth debate" or "October debate" if you want to see the articles specific to tonight's debate.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Live thread. Head there for all the laughs and all the tears...

👇

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2019 10:03 PM

Why start a new thread when this one is hardly full. Seriously, Op, is there some sort of DL prize for starting new threads?

Worst thing Muriel dis was add that stats page.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2019 10:09 PM

Because this thread was about thoughts about the debate, and that one is a live thread, so people can find it in the search. Don't be nasty.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2019 10:12 PM

R33: You're.....dumb.

R32: What's it like to be a self-loathing ass? Do you get a lot of hate fucks? Pity fucks?

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2019 10:22 PM

Tom Steyer, the ridiculous billionaire who has no business in this race, already qualified for the November debate. I think we're up to 6 candidates now. Say goodby to Tulsi Gabba Gabba. This is her last debate.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2019 10:25 PM

r53 EIGHT candidates in November already! Steyer, Booker, and Yang have all qualified.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote]They're bending over backward to prevent the whining from candidates or supporters about how they're being unfairly excluded.

Yes, after all the allegations and arguing between the Hillary & Bernie camps in 2016, the DNC wanted to avoid any feelings of favoritism this time.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 10:33 PM

R55 And what they ended up with is a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 10:38 PM
by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2019 12:25 AM

R57, the current live debate thread is here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2019 12:34 AM

And this is why you don't need to participate in the thread opening olympics.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2019 12:52 AM

Watch it in full.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 6:08 AM

I know that Warren is smart and capable but she is annoying to me. But I will vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2019 8:58 AM

Anyone on that stage would be ten times the President Trump is.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2019 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!