Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The newest Management Meeting Metaphor that I abhor:

The word “unpack” when meant to mean “discuss and analyze.” It can join my Loathsome List along with “ sexy technology,” “put a pin on that,” and the granddaddy of them all, “think outside the...”

In the words of Baby June: “What’s yours??!!””

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 9:28 PM

OP, since we're not "on the same page"

"let's table that for now" so we can

"circle back" at a later date.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 4:00 PM

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 4:30 PM

I think OP needs to touch base with his team so that they can provide constructive feedback on how he can think outside the box and empower him to impact the organization.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 4:37 PM

“Reach Out”

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 4:40 PM

What's your USP, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote]The newest Management Meeting Metaphor that I abhor: The word “unpack” when meant to mean “discuss and analyze.”

Geez, how far down the Management Meeting invite list are you that "unpack" is the "newest" word you abhor?

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 4:49 PM

Stakeholders.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 5:09 PM

"Let's take that offline for now, then we can circle back later and level set all the stakeholders"

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 5:10 PM

I want an Avenue Q like musical comedy that mocks current office lingo and behaviors with songs like "Please Advise!" and "I Concur."

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 5:14 PM

"ramp up"

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 5:23 PM

Really? I've been retired over three years and nothing new? Perhaps idiom is a better word than metaphor. I've attached a list of idioms that might inspire new catchy phrases. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 5:26 PM

We don’t have the bandwidth to ensure compliance. Besides, we don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Go granular and inbox it to me.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 5:26 PM

My favorite newly acquired ridiculous office-speak is "Tofu, "Mofu," and "Bofu" which means "top of the funnel," "middle of the funnel," and "bottom of the funnel" respectively. Here they are in action:

"It's just a tofu concept at the moment and we won't bring the C-levels in until we're mofu. We expect to be bofu before the start of Q2."

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 5:26 PM

"That being said or That Said" makes the veins in my temples throb.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 5:36 PM

I once interviewed a man for a job in my company. It was an hour-long interview and it was sheer torture listening to him because he spoke almost exclusively in management idioms. Even the simplest question about what he was looking for in a new job got a bullshit corporate-speak response. I kinda stopped paying close attention to him after the first 30 minutes or so and didn't offer him the job.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Let’s put that in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 5:46 PM

Nice to e-meet you, OP! I'll loop in the Datalounge group to advise on next steps.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 5:50 PM

"Tackle" - if I wanted to hear the word 'tackle' as part of the vernacular of my job I would've fucking joined the fucking NFL!

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 5:55 PM

R15, did you feedback him that unfortunately your company needed a team player who can roll up their sleeves and hit the ground running? After all, you work hard and play harder.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

I still say "'let's run it up the flagpole and see who salutes" when I can only be heard by people who know that I'm clearly joking.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 7:03 PM

"Drive in the detail" "That's baselined" "Use the appropriate cadence" "Ping it to me" "Bash the scope" (ahem)

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 7:10 PM

While working as a librarian I used to meet with colleagues from other universities. They used to say "at my shop" which really irritated me.

I notice too that broadcasters will ask the interviewee do please "unpack this for us".

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 7:47 PM

Circle round, or back around... please stop, as you're making me dizzy. Going forward...

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 8:11 PM

We have to give them a peek under the kimono if they are going to make a substantial investment.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 8:17 PM

You're going to have to get in the weeds.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 8:22 PM

Not new, but still annoying...

"I call bullshit" and "I call shenanigans."

If they're not home, do you leave a message? Do they call you back?

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 9:17 PM

I hate the term "bio break." So degrading. You're only allowed of your seat to piss or shit.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 9:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!