Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Discussion on White Privilege leads white southern students to burn book by Latina Author

Georgia Southern University students angered by a fiery conversation with a Latina author, who urged them to examine their white privilege, responded by setting her book ablaze. Jennine Capó Crucet, a New York Times contributor and associate professor at the University of Nebraska visited the predominantly white college Wednesday night to discuss her novel, “Make Your Home Among Strangers.” The award-winning book, published in 2015, follows a Cuban-American girl from Miami while she adjusts to her new life at an elite New York college.

When Crucet opened the floor for questions about the story — required reading for some students as part of their First-Year Experience — several audience members took issue with how she presented and discussed white people, according to the university’s newspaper, The George-Anne. “I noted that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” one student reportedly said.

“What makes you believe that it’s OK to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

Crucet responded to the student, explaining that white privilege is a “real thing that you are actually benefiting from right now in even asking this question.”

In wake of the discussion, students took video of themselves gleefully burning Crucet’s novel and then posted it to social media.

“So after our FYE book’s author came to my school to talk about it… these people decide to burn her book because ‘it’s bad and that race is bad to talk about,’” one student said in a tweet condemning the clip.

“White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic. Author is a woman of color.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271October 20, 2019 3:02 PM

I'm sure they were just cold post-lecture on this chilly Fall evening.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 3:25 PM

Charming, if book burning is their take-away from the encounter.

But the author might also take a look at her approach, if not her message. These are young people: her age, status, and education also "privilege" her, relatively speaking. And she's doing not doing right by shutting down the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2019 3:29 PM

People are getting sick of this shit. Not all of these kids have the same type of privilege. There are wealthy latina families and poor white families.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2019 3:33 PM

Well that kicked off.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2019 3:34 PM

R3 white privilege is not based on finances alone, sweetie. Get educated.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2019 3:36 PM

People who go around accusing others of being "toxic" will end up friendless.

Loneliness is a high price to pay for being independent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2019 3:41 PM

She really knew her audience well.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2019 3:44 PM

Yet another example of how society is on the brink of total collapse. Both of these idiots are wrong. The author wouldn’t even attempt to listen to their point without spouting her rhetoric, and the book burners were so determined to demonize her that they didn’t even try to hear what she had to say about race. Discussion is dead and there’s no such thing as debate anymore. This is just an example of how this country is headed for destruction. We’ve become a nation of idiots incapable of even talking to each other without taking sides and ignoring opposition.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2019 3:46 PM

But according to DL, Latinos are white.😏. This woman obviously does not agree.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote] White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic. Author is a woman of color.”

Why does a white latina get to call herself a woman of color when middle eastern people are considered white?

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2019 3:47 PM

Kids to not go to college to hear this shit.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2019 3:47 PM

No one outside of the DL considers Latinos or Middle Eastern people white.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Why are the vast majority of these SJWs screaming " white privilege" as the only answer to opposing ideas invariably young women?

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2019 3:49 PM

"Why does a white latina get to call herself a woman of color when middle eastern people are considered white?"

They aren't.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2019 3:50 PM

One of the many reasons I don’t want to go to college and would rather go to a tech school. College has become less about learning and more about politics. I don’t want to waste hundreds of thousands just to be screamed at about my white male privilege. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2019 3:51 PM

Middle eastern people can be very dark or very light. This author looks white. If she feels the others are privileged because they were born here or don't speak with an accent, then she should just say that instead of making everything about skin color.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2019 3:55 PM

Students don't like words written so they burn the book. Hub-boy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote] “White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic. Author is a woman of color.”

If that's the problem, then what is the solution? This country has been white majority and has been the global leader in diversity. We pass laws on the books that guarantee equal opportunity and promote fairness. What these people are talking about are unconscious biases. If it bothers you so much that you are judged for your race by a certain segment of the population who have no legal recourse to discriminate against you, then why make race your entire platform?

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2019 4:17 PM

Being fair skinned doesn’t mean you are white. Middle Eastern people aren’t white simply because they’re fair skinned. Their lineage is often different from Europeans.

Being a “white” Latina does not change the fact you’re Latina. Huge majority of Latino people are in deep poverty like black people and face the same discrimination, even if they look white, because of their last name. This is why many Latino people of the past would change their names when they came to the USA, to be able to work good jobs.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 4:20 PM

Interesting that the most diverse populations are considered the most racist. Israel is one of the most multicultural countries in the world and are faced with much of the same criticism. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2019 4:20 PM

This annoying woman has written something called 'Make Your Home Among Strangers'.

The home-owners have decided they don't want this annoying stranger in their home.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2019 4:22 PM

OP = worse than Hitler and preachy Latinas with a thyroid problem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote] Among the estimated 42.7 million U.S. adults with Hispanic ancestry in 2015, nine-in-ten (89%), or about 37.8 million, self-identify as Hispanic or Latino. But another 5 million (11%) do not consider themselves Hispanic or Latino, according to Pew Research Center estimates. The closer they are to their immigrant roots, the more likely Americans with Hispanic ancestry are to identify as Hispanic. Nearly all immigrant adults from Latin America or Spain (97%) say they are Hispanic. Similarly, second-generation adults with Hispanic ancestry (the U.S.-born children of at least one immigrant parent) have nearly as high a Hispanic self-identification rate (92%), according to Pew Research Center estimates.

[quote] By the third generation – a group made up of the U.S.-born children of U.S.-born parents and immigrant grandparents – the share that self-identifies as Hispanic falls to 77%. And by the fourth or higher generation (U.S.-born children of U.S.-born parents and U.S.-born grandparents, or even more distant relatives), just half of U.S. adults with Hispanic ancestry say they are Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2019 4:24 PM

Fair skinned middle eastern person here born and raised in the USA. Been accused of white privilege. The whole point of unconscious bias is people assume your race without knowing anything about you. If you look white, you're white.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2019 4:28 PM

“Latin” is not a race. It is an ethnicity that can include any race.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2019 4:29 PM

R22 Why do people try to derail active threads when a similar thread has comparatively fewer posts?

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2019 4:30 PM

She looka like a white.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2019 4:34 PM

R26, maybe R22 started the other thread.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote]“Latin” is not a race. It is an ethnicity that can include any race.

Let’s get real - anyone that isn’t pale as a wall and has skin that is tan or darker is not considered white.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2019 4:40 PM

R29 Then so much for white privilege. What you describe is pretty much everyones' ideal type.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2019 4:42 PM

R26, r22 is the OP of the other thread, and considers this thread to be nothing more than a tarty upstart.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2019 4:44 PM

Isn't it cultural appropriation for a Latina to write about white people?

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2019 4:45 PM

The author is White and her name Jennine Capó Crucet would lead most to think she is of French descent.

Cut the oppressed "Latina" crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2019 4:47 PM

Even the white latinas look different. R33 she doesn’t look all that white to me.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2019 4:51 PM

R34 She looks pretty average to me. There's nothing unusual about her whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]Even the white latinas look different. [R33] she doesn’t look all that white to me.

She's White. White as plenty of Europeans. And her name I'm is French.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2019 4:53 PM

The left’s platform is anti white

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2019 4:53 PM

She's found a gig. A cause that a certain group of SJW White people lap up.

All of the Cuban Americans I've known feel second to no one.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2019 4:57 PM

The lefts platform is for EQUALITY.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]The lefts platform is for EQUALITY.

It used to be.

Now it's about division.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2019 4:58 PM

No sweetie. That’s you Trumptards

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2019 4:59 PM

okay, sorry, but aren't Cubans the least oppressed Hispanics? Instant citizenship, no ICE to worry about, pretty much their own city, Miami, and a state that every dickwad running for President has to run down to, to pledge their eternal belief that Cuba should be returned to the mobbed up fascists that used to run the place before Castro?

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2019 5:01 PM

[Quote]The author is White and her name Jennine Capó Crucet would lead most to think she is of French descent.

She's probably an octoroon.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 5:01 PM

R41 has limited intelligence

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 5:03 PM

The right engages in identity politics as well but calling white people toxic is just shooting yourself in the foot. White people are the most militant SJWs.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2019 5:04 PM

I think a big part of the problem is that part of white privilege is that you can make the decision to be ignorant about what white privilege is.

And you get to decide who is white or not.

On DL and everyone, white people get to push their idea of what white privilege is. They usually say it does not exist by trying to connect it to how rich someone is.

And the very form of their denial proves that it is a very real thing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote]“real thing that you are actually benefiting from right now in even asking this question.”

How is the student asking a question white privilege?

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2019 5:09 PM

Does anyone believe a woman who looks like that ( R33 ) and named Jennine Capó Crucet faces racial discrimination?

Gimme a break.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2019 5:10 PM

Who exactly gets to decide who is white r46? Who should? A lot of very white looking people get to decide they are non-white, and the rest go along with it. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Not sure, but it all does seem pretty arbitrary. Are literal Caucasians, you know, the people from the Caucuses Mountain region, white? They tend to be Moslems, long oppressed by the Soviet Union and now oppressed by local dictators, so People of Color? Who knows? It's all very arbitrary.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]Who exactly gets to decide who is white [R46]? Who should?

If I must...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2019 5:18 PM

This blanquita really wrote a book called “My Time Among The Whites.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2019 5:18 PM

Elevating JCC as a spokesperson for nonwhites is like elevating Nico Tortarella as a spokesperson for queer people.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2019 5:21 PM

White people are so fragile.

And always will be too.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2019 5:32 PM

R53, bitter black b itch

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2019 5:34 PM

White people are awful.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2019 5:37 PM

I actually would like an answer: who is White? Who isn't? Why?

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2019 5:39 PM

[quote]This country has been white majority and has been the global leader in diversity.

I think the key words in that sentence are "has been".

We're certainly diverse, if by "diverse" you mean the opportunity to suffer discrimination equally at the hands of a white-Christian-male-dominated power structure. For example, aside from the [italic]female[/italic] police office in Texas this week, when was the last time a cop went to prison for killing an innocent black man when he reached for his cellphone? We even think it's an appropriate use of force for a fully adult white make to be so frightened of a black child playing in the park that he pulls his gun and shoots him less than 15 seconds after arriving on the scene. But if you're white and male, you can literally walk down the middle of the street waving an AR-15 and making verbal threats to kill the first n****r you see, and the police address you as "sir" and politely ask you to "please put down the gun" (after which the NRA chastises the cops for violating the AR-15-waving lunatic's Second Amendment rights).

[quote]We pass laws on the books that guarantee equal opportunity and promote fairness.

Name the last law passed that "guarantee[s] equal opportunity and promote[s] fairness." I'm guessing you'll have to go back decades to find an example; certainly, one that was passed by Congress and enacted federally. And then we either a) ignore them (think: Joe Arpaio); b) rescind them (think: the Supreme Court's gutting of the Voting Rights Act of 1964); or c) pass worse laws (ahem... stand your ground) that conflict with equal opportunity laws so that they can be tied up in the courts for decades while we go back-and-forth over which constituency has the last say or how the laws are implemented or some other bullshit excuse for doing everything except the right one. Then, to make matters worse, we pass laws that target minority communities with surgical precision without mentioning race, ethnicity or religion (thereby giving the white-Christian-male power structure excuse after excuse to deny equity).

The United States remains a deeply racist nation. For a brief time, we led the world on this and many other topics, but we've flushed that all down the toilet beginning with electing Reagan and finishing the job (as the last remnants of our decency swished down the drain) by electing Donald Trump.

But yeah, let's worry about Rachel Dolezal claiming blackness or some Latina author irritating white college students' sense of justice.

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2019 6:11 PM

College quiz: True or False, Snowflakes are White.

A guest professor and novelist was INVITED to talk about her novel (not thesis or research) which was required reading for some.

A freshman (born 2001) asked, “I noted that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,”

“What makes you believe that it’s OK to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

She was invited! That was the fucking purpose. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]For example, aside from the female police office in Texas this week, when was the last time a cop went to prison for killing an innocent black man

I don't know if it's the "last time," but when I googled it the link was the first result.

I think R8 is on the right track with

[quote]The author wouldn’t even attempt to listen to their point without spouting her rhetoric, and the book burners were so determined to demonize her that they didn’t even try to hear what she had to say about race.

Communication is heavy on hyperbole and memes. Propaganda is not just in the hands of a government minister anymore - propaganda has been democratized and everybody participates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2019 6:49 PM

[Quote]I actually would like an answer: who is White? Who isn't? Why?

In the US, that's been a dilemma since slavery. Biracial children of black slave mothers were considered both slaves and black. The children of a biracial female slave and a white man were also considered slaves and black. And so on.

After slavery, many states codified what percentage of African blood would categorize a person as black. That percentage would generally range from 1/4 to 1/8 (25% to 12.5%). In some states, ANY known African ancestry made a person black.

That's why that, even today, people can't agree on what makes a person white. Is it pure European bloodlines? Is it just a convincing caucasian appearance? Perhaps the question should be: "Why does it matter to be white to other white people?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2019 7:13 PM

Fun fact. There is more than black and white r60

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2019 7:17 PM

This bitch is whiter than most "white" people.

And Cubans are the MOST privileged of all Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2019 7:20 PM

Book burners are always in the wrong. Always.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2019 7:28 PM

r54, nasty white fag.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote]White people are so fragile.

R53 So fragile yet conquered the world.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote]The United States remains a deeply racist nation.

Obviously you've never set foot out of the US.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote] Growing up in Miami, Cuban-American author Jennine Capó Crucet saw herself as a white Latina. It wasn’t until college and graduate school that she started to challenge her understanding of race, class and power in America.

So she grew up with white privilege which extended into her college AND graduate school days (sounds like privilege to me) before she decided, apropos of nothing, that she was somehow oppressed.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2019 7:59 PM

R67 Worse, she's using her "oppression" to sell books and become relevant.

by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2019 8:06 PM

Out in the street white privilege is about what color you appear to be to white people and how that makes them treat you either like "one of them" or treat you like an outsider.

With govt institutions and societal structures your color AND your actual ethnic classification determines how you are placed in white society's mind and if you will be treated favorably or unfavorably.

White privilege means that whiteness is the benchmark for desirability, it is the benchmark for how you will be treated by government institutions depending on what interaction you have with them. It is the standard for beauty, intelligence, aptitude, competency etc. If you are not white in color it is naturally assumed you fall below the white benchmark and that makes it necessary and correct for you to be treated worse in society and by govt agencies. It also makes it correct for your needs, whether for basic survival or judicial, to go ignored, because you are not white.

That is white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2019 8:22 PM

I guess it's true what they say, white religious southerners have a lot of fear on their death beds.

The remorse and compassion they should've had in life suddenly appears when their getting ready to exit the world.

A guilty conscience is the most prominent those final moments are near.

No peace, that's most white people/men down south.

by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2019 8:23 PM

R69 What bullshit. Are you writing from 1962?

by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2019 8:24 PM

What is a white Latina? Is she half white and half latina? Just because you have lighter skin it doesn't make you any less latina.

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2019 8:34 PM

Fellow white Cuban American Latina: Ms Cameron Diaz -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2019 8:43 PM

R67, she jumped ship

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2019 8:43 PM

Fellow white Cuban American Latino: Mr Ryan Lochte -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2019 8:46 PM

Team Students. My feet itch to get away whenever some idiot cunt thinks she needs to educate me on White Privilege. Especially when she assumes I am straight on top of it. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2019 8:46 PM

^ Oops:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2019 8:47 PM

r71 What world are you living in that you haven't noticed that racial problems in the US are at an all time high and still emerging the same way they did in 1962, fueled by the circus peanut in the oval office?

Even mainstream media has admitted racial tensions are at an all time high. Guess you missed all that drama that just happened in Texas where the white lady cop shot that Black guy because she thought it was her apartment and then the Black neighbor who testified just happened to get gunned down in the street outside the same building, which is in a good neighborhood, just recently.

Guess you missed all the kneeling controversy in the NFL fueled by racial injustice.

There are also lots of other recent examples in the last 15 years you fucking moronic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2019 8:48 PM

[Quote]Fun fact. There is more than black and white [R60]

Your point, r61?

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2019 8:53 PM

But if there is someone who is half white/Latina and has darker features it makes them more Latina than a lighter skinned Latina? Bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote] White privilege means that whiteness is the benchmark for desirability, it is the benchmark for how you will be treated by government institutions depending on what interaction you have with them. It is the standard for beauty, intelligence, aptitude, competency etc. If you are not white in color it is naturally assumed you fall below the white benchmark and that makes it necessary and correct for you to be treated worse in society and by govt agencies. It also makes it correct for your needs, whether for basic survival or judicial, to go ignored, because you are not white.

There is so much wrong with your post. People of color are not denied government services because of their race or national identity. Moreover, government does not determine the standards for beauty, intelligence, or aptitude. Some may argue the need for government imposed quotas when it comes to hiring, but that in itself is problematic. Could it be your thoughts on this issue is based on your own personal prejudices and your just projecting?

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2019 8:54 PM

R46, who ever claimed that Crucet faced racial discrimination?

Once again a white person decides that white privilege is about something that makes it easy for them to dismiss.

Lets make it easy---a bunch of white students burn the books of a non-white author because they do not like how she talks about ethnicity. And they face no disciplinary action.

Imagine a bunch of black or latinx students doing the same with books by a white author, who said things they did not like about race.

Do you really think a DL thread would blame the author rather than the students? And do you really think they would not face discipline from their school?

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2019 8:54 PM

"People of color are not denied government services because of their race or national identity."

No, they just get arrested for entering their own home, stopped by police if they are in the wrong neighborhood.

Go to the DMV sometime and notice how differently white and black people are treated....

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2019 8:56 PM

R82 Similarly, no one is claiming the book burners were right either. Our arguments about the author are based on substance. If anything, the book burners are just going to increase her public profile. I'm sure she's not too bothered by it.

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2019 8:57 PM

r81 use your brain, govt also concerns rights and how you are viewed under the law, not just services.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2019 8:58 PM

Some of you are either willfully ignorant or just plain stupid or a measure of both.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2019 9:00 PM

Oooooohoohooohoo @ R64. Couldn't help yourself, could ya? Typical LSA loon---no impulse control. Those idiots drop the F bomb like clockwork in these threads.

Why are you even here? Go back to your cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2019 9:04 PM

I have a question for the non-White DL'ers, how is constantly telling Whites they are privileged going to improve non-Whites' situation? Do you think Whites will step aside in some way and let non-Whites go to the head of the line, or what?

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote]Worse, she's using her "oppression" to sell books and become relevant.

Guaranteed she paid the book burners. Her silly little book had no traction until this "news" story.

by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2019 9:06 PM

"What world are you living in that you haven't noticed that racial problems in the US are at an all time high"

My world is Atlanta and I can assure you racial problems are the opposite of an all time high. Black and white get along perfectly because (a) we have to since there are so many of us and (b) we are used to since our population is not new to diversity (though nobody calls it that here. It's just the South).

I'd ask what world YOU"RE in actually and what you think you are seeing. How do some of you sad fools get through an average day?

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2019 9:06 PM

Well r87 you missed the part where r53 was called a bitter black bitch by r54.

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2019 9:07 PM

P.S. I don't think a minority member has actually ever talked to me about white privilege. For me, it's always some blonde white bimbo who benefited from it her whole life, starting with Daddy's money, and then batted many an eyelash to get out of traffic tickets. Then decided to look "woke" and start bitching about the same privilege like an idiot. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 92October 12, 2019 9:11 PM

R90 I wonder how much of peoples' opinions are based on actual life experiences or what they see on TV. A lot of academia is very insulated from the real world.

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2019 9:12 PM

The racial majority always enjoys privilege.

by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote]Imagine a bunch of black or latinx students doing the same with books by a white author, who said things they did not like about race. Do you really think a DL thread would blame the author rather than the students? And do you really think they would not face discipline from their school?

LOL. Oh honey, please. Guess you forgot all about the arrogant, entitled pigs who presumed to scream at an esteemed Yale college professor with NO consequences. BTW--all of them were/are extremely privileged brats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2019 9:13 PM

r90 I'm elder gay, I live in Los Angeles and I'm from New York. I watched the civil rights movement on tv news. Dogs, fire hoses, sit ins, Black peaceful protesters being dragged through the streets by cops.

I also remember hearing about the the thriving Black towns that existed in this country after slavery ended that got burned to the ground because even when we separated ourselves and thrived on our own white people SOUGHT US OUT to destroy our lives.

The hostility I've experienced personally, friends and family things haven't gotten much better since the 60's. It only seems not as bad if you are white or Black and rich and can live in a bubble.

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2019 9:16 PM

R83, again, part of white privilege is getting to decide what other people want.

A woman had to be moved from her hotel and speaking events cancelled for fear of her physical safety--but you get to announce that she is okay with it because it publicizes her book.

And it is okay that the school does nothing about this because no one is saying that the students were right.

So to summarize: --physical danger is okay because she is getting free PR --no disciplinary action to the students who created the physical threat because no one thinks they were right

Now can we get black students off for bad behavior if we all agree that they were in the wrong?

Do you really think that is how it works?

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2019 9:16 PM

R92, No. Hot blonds don't give two shits about white privilege. They are too busy living life and enjoying their privilege. The only white women who give it any thought at all look like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2019 9:18 PM

"“What makes you believe that it’s OK to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

Argumentative and trying her hardest to look smart (bless)....she sounds like a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2019 9:21 PM

R95, how is that equivalent?

I guess if you want to bring in false equivalences we can really escalate this since students are always mouthing off about stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 100October 12, 2019 9:22 PM

^Her question was 1000 x smarter than that dim bulb's answer.

by Anonymousreply 101October 12, 2019 9:22 PM

Did you even watch that shameful display, R100?

by Anonymousreply 102October 12, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote] A woman had to be moved from her hotel and speaking events cancelled for fear of her physical safety--but you get to announce that she is okay with it because it publicizes her book.

Oh please. No one threatened her.

by Anonymousreply 103October 12, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]What world are you living in that you haven't noticed that racial problems in the US are at an all time high and still emerging the same way they did in 1962, fueled by the circus peanut in the oval office?

You mean like all the BLM protests during the Obama administration?

by Anonymousreply 104October 12, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]Lets make it easy---a bunch of white students burn the books of a non-white author because they do not like how she talks about ethnicity.

Non-white author? Uh...no... she's White.

by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2019 9:42 PM

This bitch is whiter than Rachel Dolezal.

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2019 9:46 PM

What the hell do you expect at some redneck school in Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2019 9:47 PM

R78 No, the left's current platform is Self-Hatred and Virtue-Signalling.

by Anonymousreply 108October 12, 2019 9:48 PM

R91, so racism is not okay, but homophobia is....on a gay board? By responding in kind, LSA loon loses ALL credibility. And so do you for agreeing that she's justified in her childish response.

by Anonymousreply 109October 12, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]What the hell do you expect at some redneck school in Georgia?

This kind of casual bigotry by the left makes me LOL. R107 would no doubt scream bloody murder if anyone DARED to say, "what do you expect from a bunch of (fill in the blank with your favorite derogatory term for POCs)."

by Anonymousreply 110October 12, 2019 9:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 12, 2019 9:57 PM

White Latinos are the most racist people. They're really awful when it comes to the Mestizos and black Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 112October 12, 2019 10:11 PM

good. i look forward to the coming blacklash, all of this idiocy has to stop.

by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2019 11:11 PM

Some say that Trump's presidency is the backlash. Does that please you?

by Anonymousreply 114October 13, 2019 12:00 AM

Humans are beyond tired of this PC madness

by Anonymousreply 115October 13, 2019 12:43 AM

No way a hot bitch like that doesn't have lots of advantages.

by Anonymousreply 116October 13, 2019 12:56 AM

R103, you are right. No one did threaten her. No news story ever claimed that they did. Are you merely restating the obvious. Or are you claiming the author says she way threatened as one of those fabricated drama queen details people make up to discredit incidents that are inconvenient?

So what were the students doing in front of the hotel?

Why did the university go in so fast to move her before she returned to the hotel?

Was the University over reacting to a crowd of autograph seekers?

by Anonymousreply 117October 13, 2019 1:06 AM

I'm claiming she's full of shit and knows how to milk a story.

But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2019 7:13 AM

People are being distracted by "white privilege" so we won't all get together to fight the real enemy, the economically privileged.

Eat the rich.

by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2019 7:32 AM

"Middle eastern people can be very dark or very light."

So can Black people.

In fact, this describes EVERY race.

by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2019 10:23 AM

R57, I wish I could give you a million ww.

by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2019 10:33 AM

Taxpayer money goes to funding racist horseshit like this. The woman's a grifter riding the wallets of white people with no self-respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 13, 2019 11:12 AM

^ I hope the sociopath in that link isn't being paid with taxpayers' money.

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2019 11:29 AM

Would she have been considered a ‘woman of color’ in the Jim Crow era South? If she’s non-white, then every person south of Belgium is non-white.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2019 11:35 AM

There are a number of DLers from Flyoverstan who cling to the early 1800s definition of "whiteness" -- people from the British Isles and (maybe) Scandinavians, Germans and Dutch. Not that different from how the Brits divide the world

But in reality, various ethnic groups that were subject to prejudice have become "white" over time-- the Irish, the Italians, the Jews, Poles, etc., and in recent years, white Latinos like Ms. Crucet. This is especially true of many younger Cubans who were born in the US and have anglicized first names. If, for instance, Marco Rubio was called Marc Rubio, I suspect the vast majority of people meeting him for the first time would assume he was Italian-American

All that said, the whole yelling "white privilege" at white people who don't feel like they have much privilege seems incredible counterproductive and something we will shake our heads about in 20 years

by Anonymousreply 125October 13, 2019 11:48 AM

^^Also remember that DLers shrieking "Italians aren't white" are likely over 65 and came from an era when that was likely the conventional wisdom in the town they grew up in

by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2019 11:50 AM

If the book had been written by a woman who looked more like the woman below, I think it would have more credibility.

I agree with above poster: the White/Spanish/French author is a phony and a grifter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2019 12:00 PM

And just in time to support the "Italians became white" theory--oddly enough the NYT has a feature story called just that today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2019 12:03 PM

The PC madness was born and bred at the Ivies, which I believe, are in the East.

by Anonymousreply 129October 13, 2019 12:03 PM

She's beige.

by Anonymousreply 130October 13, 2019 12:19 PM

So let me get this straight.

--Some students ask angry questions

--Some students burn books

--Some student gather outside the hotel where the author is staying.

--The university moves the author to another hotel and cancels her remaining events.

--The school paper reports this and other news outlets pick up the story (adding little or no reporting on their own).

But it is the author who is milking this. It is the author who set all this in motion by being too PC.

by Anonymousreply 131October 13, 2019 12:30 PM

So instead of challenging her on her white privilege approach or discussing how they don't agree, they burnt her book.

They are wasting their parent's money in that university

by Anonymousreply 132October 13, 2019 12:32 PM

R125: The whole white privilege looks terribly absurd looking it from outside.

First, not being profiled by the police by the color of your skin is not a privilege it's a right, and if the USA police worked like in other countries that would be pretty clear. The same with clerks that think you are going to rob them just because you are black or latino, it's not the white clients the ones privileged, are the non whites the ones who are being discriminated.

The whole concept put the focus not on the one who suffers discrimination or the one who is discriminating but in the passive subject who is not suffering the discrimination.

But the worst part is the concept of white privilege is counterproductive because the white people who understand it are generally educated and from middle-high class, but calling privileged to someone just for the fact of being white when he or she maybe are poor as rats and watch a very dark future ahead them have generally the opposite efect of what is intended.

Because i suppose the whole concept is to make white people aware of the discrimination that non whites suffer and not just a way to shut conversations and shame people

by Anonymousreply 133October 13, 2019 12:41 PM

The Nazis burned books, so did the Communists. What a dire state of affairs we are now in.

White privilege is has become an unhelpful and reductive term.

What should be focused on, us a properly funded education system, with a focus on independent learning and critical thinking skills, properly nutrirtoned children, health-care that is properly funded, to family planning as well as alcohol and drug education.

Those steps, in themselves will enable more poor white and minorities to rise through the social system, and eventually make changes to everyone's benefit.

No-one is entitled to anything that they have not worked for, that includes trust fund babies, but everyone is entitled to learn the right tools and skills to take advantage of the opportunities, when necessary.

And poor white people certainly don't feel privileged.

by Anonymousreply 134October 13, 2019 1:04 PM

All those who claim "white privilege" is rampant should see " Slave Play." You'd love it, and it might help keep it going, since no one sees it now.

by Anonymousreply 135October 13, 2019 1:06 PM

Slave Play is a tool of white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 136October 13, 2019 1:17 PM

She looks Jewish to me, I'd never guess she was Latina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 13, 2019 1:37 PM

I see the racists are here today. The amount of racist shit posted here, the WW numbers, the crybaby troll "not wanting to go to college" LOL. It's a troll raid by racists. I can assure you will never see 80% of the people on this thread ever again here.

by Anonymousreply 138October 13, 2019 1:49 PM

She has one of many low-intelligence face compositions. Her particular markers: Droopy bug eyes, buck teeth, small chin.

These facial symptoms transcend ethnicity by the way.

by Anonymousreply 139October 13, 2019 1:50 PM

Long, nasty stringy hair.

by Anonymousreply 140October 13, 2019 1:52 PM

r138 nobody elected your ass judge and jury.

by Anonymousreply 141October 13, 2019 2:06 PM

R138 is a total asshole, the type that Trumpsters love, because the assholes on the left just drive everyone away tot he Trump camp.

by Anonymousreply 142October 13, 2019 2:09 PM

It seems the more we engage in discussions of “privilege “ the more divisive things become. Why do people seem to forget that in this country, privilege is all around us and we all have it in some form. There is an abundance of opportunity in this country. If you’re too stupid to seek it out and find a way, then you shall be less privileged than someone like me, I suppose. I’m a liberal type of guy, but I’m incredibly tired of all this non-sense rhetoric about race. If you can’t figure out how to do life and at least be a little bit happy, then you deserve your misery.

by Anonymousreply 143October 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Reparations now! That'll get me elected.

by Anonymousreply 144October 13, 2019 3:43 PM

R47 To these people, a student asking a question is white privilege because they’re questioning things. SJW’s have a nazious view that’s eerily similar to Trump’s. Questioning the authority makes you a traitor/racist. It’s all very totalitarian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 13, 2019 4:10 PM

[quote] So let me get this straight.

Yes, please do.

[quote] --Some students ask angry questions

Angry questions? You mean they dared question being told they were evil, privileged white people, especially by a privileged author who went to undergrad and grad and who presents as white as they do, and were then told they were even more evil?

[quote] --Some students burn books

Yes, this happened and I can't condone it.

[quote] --Some student gather outside the hotel where the author is staying.

[quote] --The university moves the author to another hotel and cancels her remaining events.

I question that either of these things happened. And how can the university cancel her remaining events at other schools? This was likely worded incorrectly on your part and you meant she or her reps canceled them. And they canceled them why? Because her brand of scold didn't go over the way she expected and she didn't want to have to go through it again. And of course, to present it as she "feels unsafe" makes her a martyr and helps sell books.

[quote] --The school paper reports this and other news outlets pick up the story (adding little or no reporting on their own).

Sure, other newspapers just HAPPENED to pick it up. The publisher's PR firm couldn't have possibly tipped them off. Authors do university tours why? To MAKE money by selling their books. If the students aren't buying her bullshit, then maybe the SJW twitterverse will when they read about this poor, oppressed faux-minority.

[quote] But it is the author who is milking this. It is the author who set all this in motion by being too PC.

Now you've got it.

by Anonymousreply 146October 13, 2019 4:45 PM

Come on with the burning books MARY!ing. Context matters here. If your Deplorable uncle gave you a copy of "Art of the Deal" for Christmas and said, "Read this if you want to know the TRUTH!," wouldn't you be tempted to burn the thing? And if you threw it in the firepit, does that make you a Nazi?

They were forced to read the book. They paid for it (as you always pay for college texts). They burned the copy they owned. So what? Jesus, and you say Deplorables are excitable!

by Anonymousreply 147October 13, 2019 4:49 PM

No r109 I'm pointing out that they both were antagonizing each other.

by Anonymousreply 148October 13, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote] Come on with the burning books MARY!ing. Context matters here. If your Deplorable uncle gave you a copy of "Art of the Deal" for Christmas and said, "Read this if you want to know the TRUTH!," wouldn't you be tempted to burn the thing? And if you threw it in the firepit, does that make you a Nazi?

It's what it represents more than the actual act of it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 149October 13, 2019 4:59 PM

Living every single day with institutionalized racism and then having to argue its very existence, is tiring, and saddening, and angering. Yet if we express any emotion while talking about it, we’re tone policed, told we're being angry. In fact, a key element in any racial argument in America is the Angry Black person, and racial discussions shut down when that person speaks. The Angry Black person invalidates any arguments about racism because they are “just being overly sensitive,” or “too emotional,” or– playing the race card. Or even worse, we're told that we are being racist (Does any intelligent person actually believe a systematically oppressed demographic has the ability to oppress those in power?) But here is the irony, here’s the thing that all the angry Black people know, and no calmly debating White people want to admit: The entire discussion of race in America centers around the protection of White feelings.

by Anonymousreply 150October 13, 2019 5:06 PM

Ask any Black person and they'll tell you the same thing. The reality of thousands of innocent people raped, shot, imprisoned, and systematically disenfranchised are less important than the suggestion that a single White person might be complicit in a racist system. This is the country we live in. Millions of Black lives are valued less than a single White person’s hurt feelings. White people and Black people are not having a discussion about race. Black people, thinking as a group, are talking about living in a racist system. White people, thinking as individuals, refuse to talk about “I, racist” and instead protect their own individual and personal goodness. In doing so, they reject the existence of racism.

by Anonymousreply 151October 13, 2019 5:06 PM

The reality of America is that White people are fundamentally good, and so when a white person commits a crime, it is a sign that they, as an individual, are bad. Their actions as a person are not indicative of any broader social construct. Even the fact that America has a growing number of violent hate groups, populated mostly by white men, and that nearly *all* serial killers are white men can not shadow the fundamental truth of white male goodness. In fact, we like White serial killers so much, we make mini-series about them. White people are good as a whole, and only act badly as individuals. People of color, especially Black people (but boy we can talk about
“The Mexicans” in this community) are seen as fundamentally bad.
There might be a good one — and we are always quick to point them
out to our friends, show them off as our Academy Award for “Best Non-Racist in a White Role” — but when we see a bad one, it’s just proof that
the rest are, as a rule, bad.

by Anonymousreply 152October 13, 2019 5:08 PM

Oh, fuck off R150/151 and your simplistic shit. Get a job.

by Anonymousreply 153October 13, 2019 5:10 PM

And White people, every single one of you, are complicit in this racism because you benefit directly from it. This is why I don't like the story of the good samaritan. Everyone likes to think of themselves as the person who sees someone beaten and bloodied and helps him out. That’s too easy. If I could re-write that story, I'd rewrite it from the perspective of Black America. What if the person wasn't beaten and bloody? What if it wasn't so obvious? What if they were just systematically challenged in a thousand small ways that actually made it easier for you to succeed in life? Would you be so quick to help then?
Or would you, like most White people, stay silent and let it happen?

by Anonymousreply 154October 13, 2019 5:10 PM

Glad to block R150 - R154 and their evil divisionism. No wonder the Russians think we’re such easy targets.

by Anonymousreply 155October 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Yes, blocked, but not before sprinkling a few FFs.

by Anonymousreply 156October 13, 2019 5:54 PM

Interesting that the people who complain about black oppression are not the least bit bothered by some white woman co-opting their movement.

by Anonymousreply 157October 13, 2019 6:05 PM

[quote] White people, thinking as individuals, refuse to talk about “I, racist” and instead protect their own individual and personal goodness. In doing so, they reject the existence of racism.

No one is denying that racism exists but saying it's a white problem, or that the institutions are fundamentally racist, is what people take issue with.

by Anonymousreply 158October 13, 2019 6:14 PM

Perhaps those who cry white racism should stop and reflect. Millions of Asians move to the US and they don't run afoul of white racism. The Japanese were arrested by Franklin Roosevelt and put in prison. Yet the Japanese don't sit and have a pity party. Asians realize that the American Dream works for everyone. They toil away in shitty conditions, working in cramped kitchens of cheap Chinese restaurants. They keep their heads down and work their asses off. And as a result, they move up the ladder, and if not themselves, their children do. High schools and colleges are having a huge fight right now because they are admitting non-white Asians at a faster rate than blacks. This is a fight that the Supreme Court has to take up.

So if America is such a racist place, why are Asians excelling at a faster pace than white people?

by Anonymousreply 159October 13, 2019 6:16 PM

I think there's an answer to your question, R159, when you refer to white people by their actual name... Caucasian.

by Anonymousreply 160October 13, 2019 6:24 PM

The book burners probably have MAGA hats in their dorm rooms.

by Anonymousreply 161October 13, 2019 6:30 PM

The book burners probably have MAGA hats in their dorm rooms.

by Anonymousreply 162October 13, 2019 6:30 PM

[quote]But according to DL, Latinos are white.

Caucasian, not "white white."

by Anonymousreply 163October 13, 2019 6:33 PM

[quote]And White people, every single one of you, are complicit in this racism because you benefit directly from it.

We've been hearing your whining for decades now. Meanwhile the lives of other ethnic groups continue to out pace you: median household income in the United States for Indians: $128,000....for East Asians: $85,349....for Blacks $30,555

Keep whining, you'll just continue to have shorter life spans, less money, and shitty neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 164October 13, 2019 6:39 PM

[quote]They were forced to read the book. They paid for it (as you always pay for college texts). They burned the copy they owned. So what?

They didn't just throw it away or recycle it, dipshit. You may be dumb as a post but the rest of us know exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 165October 13, 2019 6:43 PM

[quote]There is an abundance of opportunity in this country. If you’re too stupid to seek it out and find a way, then you shall be less privileged than someone like me, I suppose. I’m a liberal type of guy, but I’m incredibly tired of all this non-sense rhetoric about race. If you can’t figure out how to do life and at least be a little bit happy, then you deserve your misery.

Give it a rest. You're not liberal, your whole post is "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and "everyone can be successful like me, because I'm not stupid like you" and "be happy even if you get shit on and if you're not happy when you get shit on, you deserve to be miserable."

You sound like a Christian conservative frau "telling it like it is" to her fellow frauen on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 166October 13, 2019 6:46 PM

[quote]People are being distracted by "white privilege" so we won't all get together to fight the real enemy, the economically privileged.

Notice that everyone skipped over this. Keep playing in the game created by your rich owners and see where it gets you.

Also, the invention of the phrase "white privilege" was done because the phrase "racially disadvantaged" became politically incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 167October 13, 2019 7:30 PM

R167 The game is never going to stop being played because the common folk are easily manipulated. That’s why the 1% will always stay in power. Humans are stupid, greedy creatures and they see that and use it against us. The wheel will never be broken because we’re too stupid to break it.

Of course it was. Pretty soon White Privilege will be deemed politically incorrect and we’ll have a new phrase. That’s the follies of PC culture, it can’t be long lasting because it’s built on the framework of social media, which is a temporary thing. You can’t have rules for how society is supposed to conduct themselves if the basis for those rules is consistently changing and molding.

by Anonymousreply 168October 13, 2019 7:44 PM

R159 you cannot be that stupid. Please tell me you're under 12 years old, because I refuse to believe that an adult can possibly be that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 169October 13, 2019 8:20 PM

R169 Nice way to deflect. I'm not that poster but the fact remains: all ethnic groups Asians, Indians, African immigrants etc do better than African Americans. But keeping whining about "White Privilege", it will get you nowhere.

Why do you give White people so much power? What a loser mentality.

by Anonymousreply 170October 13, 2019 8:50 PM

*But keep whining about

by Anonymousreply 171October 13, 2019 8:51 PM

What changed between the end of the Civil War when black people began to fight their way upward in society and the 1960s when all the black neighborhoods that they had spend 80 years building into thriving communities starting going to hell? It's like the Harlem Renaissance era happened and then everyone decided that joining gangs and becoming drug dealers was a better life path. Even the older black people who can remember those days when black neighborhood didn't mean crime-ridden, drug-laden, gunfire-riddled cesspool run by loser thugs seem to wonder what the fuck happened.

by Anonymousreply 172October 13, 2019 9:47 PM

The drug trade provided easy money, and a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 173October 13, 2019 10:10 PM

The funny thing about this is, the students could have easily checkmated her on her position. She uttered the familiar refrain about how everything they do stems from privilege, which is one of the cheesiest moves by those seeking to polish their oppression creds, but it’s incredibly easy to shoot down:

“So, by asking this question about your position on race, I’m demonstrating my privilege? Why is that exactly? Because nonwhite students are prevented from asking people about their motives in discussing race?” Anyone who’s been anywhere near a college campus knows how ludicrous a statement THAT would be.

But instead, they chose to prove her right, or at least the lesser of two evils. Never stop being you, American South.

by Anonymousreply 174October 13, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]What changed between the end of the Civil War when black people began to fight their way upward in society and the 1960s when all the black neighborhoods that they had spend 80 years building into thriving communities starting going to hell?

The Democrat Party. Post World War 2 was a time of prosperity for everyone. Was everything racially great? No. But blacks were rising in economic power. Detroit was a model for how blacks could raise themselves up, get jobs, become independent.

The 1960s hit, JFK was assassinated and that racist LBJ came in with the intent to keep blacks in their place. He created the "War On Poverty" and convinced black people that they needed the government to assist them. The Democrats decimated the black community.

by Anonymousreply 175October 13, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote][R159] you cannot be that stupid. Please tell me you're under 12 years old, because I refuse to believe that an adult can possibly be that stupid.

If I'm stupid, then the rest of the United States is too. The Asian vs African-American college issue is going before the Supreme Court. And the question is: should Harvard be allowed to discriminate against Asian students by allowing in black students who are less smart than Asian applicants? So it's a very real scenario.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 13, 2019 11:37 PM

R173, wouldn't that have provided the same easy money to every community in the country? That seems too pat an answer. When did becoming educated start to become looked down in the black urban community? "Trying to be white?!" is thrown at the black kids who try to excel in school.

by Anonymousreply 177October 14, 2019 12:59 AM

R175, so, the guy that championed the Civil Rights act is to blame, huh? Idiot. More white people are on welfare than black people. So are more corporations. Pull your head out of your ass and breathe in some reality.

by Anonymousreply 178October 14, 2019 1:02 AM

[quote]More white people are on welfare than black people.

False.

You must consider percent of population.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 14, 2019 1:22 AM

[quote]so, the guy that championed the Civil Rights act is to blame, huh?

He had no problem using the "N" word. You tell me.

by Anonymousreply 180October 14, 2019 1:24 AM

Cast a net over everybody who was born in the early 1900s and you might've gotten ten people who had never used the "N" word.

by Anonymousreply 181October 14, 2019 1:39 AM

Why is no one in the Twitterati calling out this bitch for pretending to be a POC?

by Anonymousreply 182October 14, 2019 1:41 AM

So, they already purchased the books, correct? ...

by Anonymousreply 183October 14, 2019 1:43 AM

It's offensive that college "require" students to read this type of drivel.

by Anonymousreply 184October 14, 2019 1:46 AM

Unless you are taking modern literature as an elective senior year or are in a contemporary issues course, they should stick to literature that has been around for at least 30 years and has stood the test of time as to accuracy and historical relevance.

by Anonymousreply 185October 14, 2019 2:47 AM

R146

WTF?

Claiming that the university could not shut down events at other schools . Well, maybe, except that the cancelled events were also Georgia Southern events.

Questioning whether students were gathered outside the hotel or that the author was moved. What would a University gain by making such claims? If anything, it is against their interest to let this be known.

And all this because of outrage that someone has the audacity to not that white people have advantages over non-whites and ought to consider what those advantages are.

What nerve!

Of course I forget that because her skin is fair and her name is French, no one would ever know that she is not white. Even though she writes about Hispanic life and talks about growing up in a Hispanic home, everyone is going to assume that she is a white person doing this.

by Anonymousreply 186October 14, 2019 3:14 AM

Jesus, are you still here fucking that chicken, R186? Every post your argument gets weaker. At this point it doesn't even sound like you believe it.

by Anonymousreply 187October 14, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote]Of course I forget that because her skin is fair and her name is French, no one would ever know that she is not white. Even though she writes about Hispanic life and talks about growing up in a Hispanic home, everyone is going to assume that she is a white person doing this.

She benefits from White privilege just as must, if not more, than any of the students she was pointing fingers at.

by Anonymousreply 188October 14, 2019 8:39 PM

*just as much,

by Anonymousreply 189October 14, 2019 8:40 PM

She is white as fuck. Literally, she is paler than 80 percent of "white people.

Also, most American whites are from lower or lower-middle income families.

Also, most American whites have native American and black ancestry. Sorry if the truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 190October 14, 2019 8:59 PM

I highly recommend having a rich Dad. Life is great when you do.

Especially a responsible one who only had kids he waned and could take care of.

by Anonymousreply 191October 14, 2019 10:30 PM

The answer is simple: Give monetary reparations to every black person as a payment for slavery, which has led to their oppression centuries later. It will solve problems. Bankrupt the country? Big deal. It sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 192October 14, 2019 10:51 PM

R192 Cody Booker's not promising monetary reparations.

by Anonymousreply 193October 14, 2019 11:44 PM

And, he has no chance.

by Anonymousreply 194October 15, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]Even though she writes about Hispanic life and talks about growing up in a Hispanic home, everyone is going to assume that she is a white person doing this.

Newsflash.... you can be white and hispanic!!!

by Anonymousreply 195October 15, 2019 2:29 AM

Stories like this make me so grateful I am white.

by Anonymousreply 196October 15, 2019 2:31 AM

R195 most aren't though, and I'm talking about the ones who are light. Most of them have African and native ancestry, and in north America that is not viewed as a white person.

by Anonymousreply 197October 15, 2019 4:52 AM

I love this quaint idea that if you are black or latino, you will not face bigotry if you are light skinned.

Maybe this will be a surprise, but bigots do not actually care about the color of your skin. They care about ethnicity.

You can be an albino, and they will not consider you "white" in this context.

But I suspect everyone knows this, but they just bring up skin color as "proof" that white privilege does not exist or that this or that person has not faced bigotry because they have no actual argument to make.

by Anonymousreply 198October 15, 2019 11:32 AM

[quote] [R195] most aren't though, and I'm talking about the ones who are light. Most of them have African and native ancestry, and in north America that is not viewed as a white person.

But SHE ie the subject is this thread, clearly does not.

She’s a Cuban of European descent Ie she is white.

by Anonymousreply 199October 15, 2019 2:29 PM

[quote]I love this quaint idea that if you are black or latino, you will not face bigotry if you are light skinned. Maybe this will be a surprise, but bigots do not actually care about the color of your skin. They care about ethnicity.

So you're saying that everyone can face bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 200October 16, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote]But in reality, various ethnic groups that were subject to prejudice have become "white" over time-- the Irish, the Italians, the Jews, Poles, etc.,

WTF--In what world are/were the Irish anything other than white? Seriously, you can't get much whiter. Same, but to a lesser extent, goes for Italians, Jews and Poles. None of these ethnic groups has every been anything other than Caucasian. Don't confuse poverty and working class culture with race, dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 201October 16, 2019 1:06 AM

A lot of historians disagree with R201.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 16, 2019 1:13 AM

Yes, R202, link to an article from "The Root - Black News, Opinions, Politics and Culture" to enlighten us all about Irish history. LOL. The Irish were reviled, for sure, mainly because they were Catholic and poor. But in no way were they ever considered anything other than white.

by Anonymousreply 203October 16, 2019 1:22 AM

The Irish were arguably the most despised immigrant group in American history, including Italians and Eastern European Jews.

by Anonymousreply 204October 16, 2019 1:24 AM

Tell the KKK and other white supremacists about how "White" Jews are.

by Anonymousreply 205October 16, 2019 2:37 AM

^Just because they hate Jews doesn't mean they considered them "non-white".

by Anonymousreply 206October 16, 2019 2:48 AM

Read the Root article. It references a number of standard books. That is the point.

by Anonymousreply 207October 16, 2019 2:55 AM

[quote]^Just because they hate Jews doesn't mean they considered them "non-white".

They do, idiot.

And Jews are not really white anyway. Go to Israel, you can't tell a Jew from an Arab unless they're wearing specific clothes.

by Anonymousreply 208October 16, 2019 3:36 AM

Anyone care to make a wager about what Miss Thing’s birth certificate says her race is? Big money says it is “White.” Ask a Black Cuban or Black Cuban-American (include the Marielitos if you like) what they think of this poseur’s yammering. Lol & smdh…

by Anonymousreply 209October 16, 2019 5:36 AM

Arabs are brown. They're not white. Maybe they'll "become white" in America someday, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 16, 2019 5:41 AM

So, R210, are Arabs more “brown” than Spaniards, Greeks, Italians, Albanians, Israelis, or the Portuguese?

by Anonymousreply 211October 16, 2019 6:06 AM

R211, read the article. Yes, they are considered more brown than most of those groups. Israelis vary.

by Anonymousreply 212October 16, 2019 6:10 AM

The way it is in America. Arabs are deemed brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 16, 2019 6:11 AM

I will read the article, R212, but please answer my question. I’m speaking literally, are you? Considered by whom?

R213, deemed by whom? Which way is it in America?

by Anonymousreply 214October 16, 2019 6:38 AM

LOL. Can't get much whiter than me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 16, 2019 7:35 AM

I read the article R212, but it offered very little new information. I’m an Italian-American, with family in New Orleans, I also have many African-Americans in my extended family. Meh.

I read your link, R213, but it didn’t address my question(s). Also, Islam is not a race, and there are millions of White Muslims.

I think both of you are really talking about skin color, not race. “Brown” is very relative, and does not negate “whiteness.” There are “dark skinned white folks.” I defy both of you to match each person to her/his country of origin if we put a person from each of the following countries in one room: Spain Portugal, Greece, Italy, Albania, Israel, Palestine, Armenia, and Syria. Disagree?

My beef is with charlatans like this “author” who I think are coopting the Civil Rights movement, and its focus on parity, equity, and equality, especially for African-Americans. There are many oppressed groups, but our oldest and biggest debt (think forty acres and a mule) is to the black slaves (& their descendents) who built this country. This skank is a pustule on the backside of the Civil Rights movement and workers advocating justice.

by Anonymousreply 216October 16, 2019 8:29 AM

White Privilege is a political scam. Non whites are whining that they can't get ahead when they aren't willing to put in the hard work and time it takes to get ahead, It isn't easy. I worked my ass off to get ahead and have a good career. No one handed me anything.

by Anonymousreply 217October 16, 2019 8:56 AM

I know plenty of lefties who would love to burn books if they thought they could get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 218October 16, 2019 9:54 AM

You guys are either foreign or being disingenuous. "Considered brown by whom?" Please.

By mainstream America.

Deeming them "brown" is a cornerstone of the bias against Arabs in America, dummies. That, plus the Muslim dimension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote] I defy both of you to match each person to her/his country of origin if we put a person from each of the following countries in one room: Spain Portugal, Greece, Italy, Albania, Israel, Palestine, Armenia, and Syria. Disagree?

I'm a Jew of middle eastern descent and I've been confused for almost every one of those.

by Anonymousreply 220October 16, 2019 3:40 PM

No, R219, I’m just not buying your PC pablum. Please explain the racial differences between Palestinians and Israelis? All the groups listed in R216? You could not discern the difference in nationality with any individual from that group. They are ALL perceived as brown, or “other.”

by Anonymousreply 221October 16, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote] ], read the article. Yes, they are considered more brown than most of those groups. Israelis vary.

You’ve never been to the Middle East. Arabs like Jews come in many shades and eye colors. Including blondes.

It’s only current day antiSemitism in the Left that now counts Jews as “white” and Arabs as “brown” It’s even stupider than that because they consider all Muslims “brown” when Muslims literally can be found in all races since it’s a religion )whereas Jews are an ethno-religious grouping)

by Anonymousreply 222October 17, 2019 5:15 PM

In the Western world, Arabs are not considered white.

by Anonymousreply 223October 17, 2019 5:27 PM

Because of what R222. It’s a new double standard

by Anonymousreply 224October 17, 2019 5:36 PM

By you, R223? They’re certainly not Black. Lisa Halaby is not White? Casey Kassem? Danny Thomas? Really?

by Anonymousreply 225October 17, 2019 6:19 PM

Really r225. Arabs are caucasian, but not considered white.

by Anonymousreply 226October 17, 2019 6:42 PM

By you, R226. I’m sure that would be news to millions of Arabs and Arab-Americans, most notably the individuals above.

by Anonymousreply 227October 17, 2019 7:19 PM

Not really r227. Contrary to what you may think, many people have no interest in being thought of as white.

by Anonymousreply 228October 17, 2019 7:22 PM

LOL, I couldn't wait to tell my half Armenian (half German) blond, blue eyed husband he wasn't "white" after I read a post from a an LSA loon that the Kardashians are non-white because they're half Armenian.

by Anonymousreply 229October 17, 2019 10:56 PM

R228, you don’t know what I, or the majority of Arabs, and Arab-Americans actually think. I think all the Arab Americans I listed definitely identified as White. Provide your own list. I do think that there is a trend toward people who are perceived as “White adjacent” actually identifying as POC, as evidenced by this “author.” I don’t think it is actually a good, or bad thing, but I call bullshit on charlatans like this “author,” who I think minimize and coopt the struggles of African-Americans just to draw attention to themselves, misrepresent themselves, and sell books.

by Anonymousreply 230October 18, 2019 1:21 AM

You're living in a country where Italians are just barely considered white, you think Arabs are considered white?

by Anonymousreply 231October 18, 2019 1:24 AM

This discussion is getting silly.

by Anonymousreply 232October 18, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]You're living in a country where Italians are just barely considered white, you think Arabs are considered white?

No, just no. Sorry. It seems a lot of POC like to 'claim' this is true of various Caucasian ethnicities (see above lunatic trying to convince us that the Irish were once considered POC), because they think it in some way dismantles racism. The goal is worthy, but telling lies to get there is just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 233October 18, 2019 1:39 AM

A few of you are confused and conflating oppression, bigotry and class differences with skin color. Snobby wasps have historically looked down on almost all other Caucasian ethnicities. They considered the Irish, Italians, Poles, etc to be "less than". But that isn't the same thing as thinking of them as non-white.

by Anonymousreply 234October 18, 2019 2:03 AM

I'm so proud that New York elected a person of color Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia for three terms way back in 1934 to 1945!

And then they elected another mayor of color Vincent Impellitteri in 1950.

And then another person of color Rudy Giuliani.... and today another colored fellow: Bill de Blasio.

Not to mention their governor: person of color Mario Cuomo and his colored son Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 235October 18, 2019 3:07 AM

My favorite colored entertainer has always been Perry Como.

by Anonymousreply 236October 18, 2019 3:11 AM

For me, the idea of white privilege started out a much needed exercise in checking an unfair advantage at the door. But like all things we do on the left these days (MeToo, BLM, trans activists literally dying, triggered everything) it gets taken too far. Calling white men evil for just being born does zero good. It won't change their whiteness and will only harden the resolve to keep what's theirs.

by Anonymousreply 237October 18, 2019 3:17 AM

R237 = a sensible post among all the hysteria

by Anonymousreply 238October 18, 2019 3:20 AM

Madonna is my favorite singer who's a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 239October 18, 2019 3:41 AM

John Travolta broke a lot of barriers for men of color in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 240October 18, 2019 3:43 AM

Arturo Toscanini was the first person of color to play Carnegie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 241October 18, 2019 3:47 AM

Frank Sinatra faced a lot of discrimination as a man of color during his career.

by Anonymousreply 242October 18, 2019 3:49 AM

You have to give Dick Clark a lot of credit for letting Frankie Avalon appear on "American Bandstand".

by Anonymousreply 243October 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Could anybody look at Bernadette Peters (Sicilian) and not think she was anything but white?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 18, 2019 4:18 AM

She’s Sicilian by title. Not genetics.

by Anonymousreply 245October 18, 2019 4:21 AM

And you know that how, r245?

by Anonymousreply 246October 18, 2019 4:23 AM

What does a "genetic" Sicilian look like?

by Anonymousreply 247October 18, 2019 4:24 AM

Cary Grant was 100% English and could've passed for Italian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248October 18, 2019 4:24 AM

Cary Grant doesn't look Italian there at all, just tanned

by Anonymousreply 249October 18, 2019 4:28 AM

If Bernadette Peters didn't dye her hair blond, yes, she would look very Italian.

by Anonymousreply 250October 18, 2019 8:45 AM

It is interesting that people seem to think that bigotry is about skin color rather than ethnicity. Have they not lived in America?

No one cares that your skin is dark brown. What they care about is that you are of African, Latin, etc. descent.

My father worked outdoors and had darker skin than the black family on our street. They faced prejudice, not him.

It does not matter is Arabs are darker than Jews or indistinguishable from Italians.

by Anonymousreply 251October 18, 2019 11:39 AM

[quote]Cary Grant doesn't look Italian there at all, just tanned

I agree with that poster. Very Italian. Like Vittorio de Sica, Rossano Brazzi. It's a type of handsome Italian daddy you see all over Italy.

by Anonymousreply 252October 18, 2019 1:19 PM

[quote]She’s Sicilian by title. Not genetics.

Stupidest comment ever.

by Anonymousreply 253October 18, 2019 1:21 PM

Sicily was ruled by the Germans in the 400s and 500s, the Normans around 1000.

You people have never been there. Sicilians are often blue eyed, tall, light skinned.

by Anonymousreply 254October 18, 2019 1:26 PM

The Sicilian Parliament

Look at those darkies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 18, 2019 1:38 PM

She has major Cubana privilege and is projecting. Parents are non-Marielito exiles - which meant they had money in Havana and came to the US to hang onto it. She went to a good public HS in the Country Club section of NW Miami, then got into Cornell. She probably was pissed that she was no longer the pez grande once she got outside south Florida, so she reinvented herself as a SJW Latinx of Color. Rachel Dolezal without the self-tanner and weave. Nice chola eyebrows, though.

by Anonymousreply 256October 18, 2019 2:13 PM

Hopefully for those it was required reading, read the book before they burned it. Or do they expect to be excused from the work in that class?

That would be a full circle of demonstrating privileged. To demonstrate it's not they need to repurchase it. Cha-Ching for author.

by Anonymousreply 257October 18, 2019 2:35 PM

r227, I worked in an area with a lot of Armenians and they did not consider themselves white. They dated blacks and I asked why, and they were like, we are the same.

However Persians were different. They consider themselves white.

by Anonymousreply 258October 18, 2019 2:40 PM

R258 nobody puts themselves in same category as Blacks. I call B.S.! (or extraordinarily small and anecdotal sampling)

by Anonymousreply 259October 18, 2019 2:44 PM

Yup. Which is why I chuckle every time I see a social justice warrior screech about "black and brown people". Where I'm from, 'brown people' usually refers to East Indians, and believe me, they DO NOT want to be bracketed with black people. Not now, not today, not ever!

by Anonymousreply 260October 18, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]She’s Sicilian by title. Not genetics.

Sicilian swim team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261October 18, 2019 3:36 PM

R260 I don't know where you're from, but we're talking about the United States. And have you seen Indians? A lot, and I mean a LOT of them are black as midnight.

R225 there are other races, black and white aren't the only ones.

by Anonymousreply 262October 18, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote] there are other races, black and white aren't the only ones.

An important point lost on many leftists who are ignorant of America's great diversity. They only see skin color.

by Anonymousreply 263October 18, 2019 10:16 PM

R262, there are only three “races:”White, Black, and Asian. Everything else is ethnicity and/or nationality.

by Anonymousreply 264October 19, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote]Sicily was ruled by the Germans in the 400s and 500s, the Normans around 1000. You people have never been there. Sicilians are often blue eyed, tall, light skinned

Yes, a good friend of mine is full blooded Sicilian. She has blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. One of her kids is a red head (inherited from my friend's mother). I am 75% Irish, 25% German. I have brown hair and eyes. Side by side, if anyone had to guess which one of us is Sicilian, no one would dream it's her (until they tasted her amazing cooking, LOL).

by Anonymousreply 265October 20, 2019 11:16 AM

R264 then where do American Indians fall in that? Polynesians? Arabs?

by Anonymousreply 266October 20, 2019 11:23 AM

[quote]And have you seen Indians? A lot, and I mean a LOT of them are black as midnight.

Again, conflating skin color with race. They are NOT the same. Indians span the spectrum of very dark to lily white. But they are not "racially" white or black. They are Asian. They have a very different culture to that of American whites and blacks, as well. So, they do not consider themselves either.

Here are the only recognized racial and ethnic categories per the US Census:

American Indian or Alaska Native: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Black or African American: a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American."

Hispanic or Latino: a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term, "Spanish origin," can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

White: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

by Anonymousreply 267October 20, 2019 11:26 AM

R266, do your own research! Here’s a hint: Bering Land Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 268October 20, 2019 12:19 PM

R264, since there is no biological basis for the division or races, you can choose as many categories as you want. You can say there is one race, three races, nine races, or thirty-six races.

Different cultures determine different number of races. And it sounds like individuals do as well.

by Anonymousreply 269October 20, 2019 12:39 PM

^^^ that first line should read "division into races"

by Anonymousreply 270October 20, 2019 12:40 PM

Lol @ 264…and you get a race…and YOU get a race… everybody can have a race! Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 271October 20, 2019 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!