Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boris Johnson's major U-turn sets up 48 hours to clinch Brexit deal

[quote]Boris Johnson has signalled that he will make a last-ditch U-turn on his plans for the Irish border, setting up 48 hours of intense negotiations that will make or break a Brexit deal.

[quote]On a day of rapid movement in talks, EU sources said the prime minister had conceded that there could not be a customs border on the island of Ireland – a critical step away from his previous position.

Published yesterday, so less than 40 hours to go now. We'll see what happens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2019 12:47 AM

I hope BOO-ris has an epic flame out and mid-air political explosion.

I want him to fail in a major way.

A loathsome man.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Deal needs to happen by end of today or it's extension / no deal. Crunch time, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 11:41 AM

did it?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 11:45 AM

r3 No, they're still negotiating. Tonight is the last possible day to clinch it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 11:48 AM

[bold]Boris Johnson 'on brink of Brexit deal' after border concessions[/bold]

[quote]A draft text of the agreement could now be published on Wednesday if Downing Street gives the final green light, according to senior EU and British sources. It is understood that the negotiating teams have agreed in principle that there will be a customs border down the Irish Sea. A similar arrangement was rejected by Theresa May as a deal that no British prime minister could accept.

[quote]Johnson will still have to win over parliament – including the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) and the hardline Tory Brexiters in the European Research Group – on the basis that, under the deal, Northern Ireland will still legally be within the UK’s customs territory. “Northern Ireland would [italic]de jure[/italic] be in the UK’s customs territory but [italic]de facto[/italic] in the European Union’s,” one diplomatic source said of the tentative agreement.

This just might happen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 4:52 PM

The saga continues...

[quote]Tusk said it would be clear by the end of Wednesday whether Johnson had the political backing to go ahead with the revised withdrawal agreement and political declaration on the future relationship with the bloc. He told the Polish broadcaster TVN24: “The basic foundations of an agreement are ready and theoretically tomorrow we could accept this deal with Great Britain.

[quote]“Theoretically in seven to eight hours everything should be clear. Yesterday evening I was ready to bet that it’s all set and agreed, today there are certain doubts on the British side.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 3:27 PM

Many Brexiteers now seem to be claiming that leaving with a deal is "ignoring the result of the referendum". What the fuck? The question was "Do you want to leave or remain in the EU?" I'm so sick of Brexiteers continually moving the goalposts.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 3:31 PM

Yeah, they're trying to revive May's lame "No deal is better than a bad deal" slogan.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 3:33 PM

From the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg:

[quote] Just as Barnier arrives to see ambassadors, government source has just told me there will not be a deal tonight

[quote] Simply not clear if that means there's no way forward yet or just a case of extending talks into tomorrow cos they need a bit more time - will clarify as soon as have more

[quote] @adamfleming reports the technical talks are continuing, and the excellent @AlbertoNardelli says Barnier has told ambassadors everything is resolved apart from VAT - so sounds like there is still a possible way forward

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 7:12 PM

They'll probably vote on the deal on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 7:16 PM

Deal has been negotiated and the text published. It's basically May's deal but with more concessions to the EU. We'll see what the Parliament does now.

Meanwhile, Boris keeps playing his little games. Hope the court in Edinburgh smacks him down.

[quote]NEW: Am told by govt source that Johnson will tell EU leaders that it’s this deal or no deal - but no delays. He will not ask for a extension and will not accept one if offered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 11:13 AM

Looks like somebody surrendered, and it wasn't the EU.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 11:17 AM

[quote] We'll see what the Parliament does now.

I mean he has to get the DUP to accept something that's absolute poison to them in 2 weeks. That's ignoring the no-deal diehards, and the remainers who he also somehow has to get onside while not having any majority. I wouldn't hold my breath.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 11:20 AM

If that's a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear and I won't respond to it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 11:23 AM

I can't picture this deal going through. God knows what's going to happen now.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Again, Theresa May must be laughing her ass off.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 12:19 PM

DUP have just come out against it, so it's not looking great.

[quote]DUP says it won't vote for deal because it 'drives coach and horses' through Good Friday agreement

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote]Again, Theresa May must be laughing her ass off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 1:10 PM

r18 Is The Right Honorable Lady for Maidenhead climaxing, or what exactly is happening in that gif? Possession? It's not mere laughter, I can tell you that much.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 1:19 PM

Never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 1:24 PM

This just in...

[quote]EU will not grant any further extension, says Juncker, implying MPs must choose between this deal and no deal

Uh-oh, shit just got super real in the last ten minutes. 😬

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 1:26 PM

And Boris Johnson's failure is abject and complete.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 1:56 PM

r21 He can't talk down the deal, and it's i the EU's interests that the UK leave soon under this deal. But practically when this deal fails in Parliament, and the UK government are forced under the Benn Act to request an extension I doubt the EU state leaders would prefer no deal to granting an extension.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 2:01 PM

r23 Yeah, I know, that's the view of the analysts on Twitter as well. Saturday should be interesting, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 2:04 PM

I don't think Juncker's serious. But to be frank, I wouldn't blame him if he was.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 2:05 PM

I'm not a fan of Theresa May, but I do think she's been vindicated somewhat by the fact that BoJo's proposed deal is essentially a worse version of hers. Remember when he criticised her negotiating skills?

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 5:19 PM

r26 Typical sexist pig bravado. "Hold my beer..." and then proceeds to fuck it up even more.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 5:24 PM

So when's he out?What would be the timeline for his departure from Number 10?

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 5:29 PM

When general election happens. So between the end of October and the end of January.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 5:31 PM

You'll be done with your corrupt buffoon sooner than the US will be rid of their criminal buffoon--if at all.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 5:32 PM

This is going to be developing with lighting speed from now until Saturday...

[quote]EU leaves door open to Brexit extension, in blow to Boris Johnson

[quote]Member states decline to follow Jean-Claude Juncker, who ‘ruled out’ further delay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Some good news...

[quote]Angela Merkel has told EU leaders a Brexit extension will be unavoidable if MPs vote down the deal agreed with Boris Johnson

... and some bizarre news.

[quote]MPs will not see any official economic analysis of the impact of Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal before they vote on it on Saturday, Downing Street has confirmed, with such documents only being produced subsequently.

So they're basically going in blind, voting on something without knowing how it'll affect their economy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Incomes will be reduced 2.5% vs. 3.3% with no deal or something.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2019 12:02 PM

r33 That's under no deal scenario. They won't say how much they'll be reduced under this deal until after the vote.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2019 12:05 PM

r32 Oh that's not bizarre. Obscuring the facts are pretty par the course at this point.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2019 12:08 PM

Voting tomorrow on a "deal" whipped up yesterday that will affect them for decades. Smart move Boris.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2019 12:26 PM

Anything to get them to leave.

Alles was sie weg macht gehen.

Tout ce qui les fait partir.

Alles om ze te laten vertrekken.

Cualquier cosa que finalmente los haga salir.

Just go.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2019 12:39 PM

Karkoli, samo da odidejo. As Melania would say.

r37 Such beautiful linguistic variation, it makes me cringe whenever Americans complain when bits of Spanish are spoken at the debates. Why on earth would you NOT want to spice things up linguistically?

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Because, r38, American politicians whip out their Spanish pretentiously, and cynically, as a way of saying, "See? I'm a white person who can relate to you." It's chasing after the Mexican or Hispanic vote. In other words, it's a political ploy, and an obvious one at this point.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2019 2:52 PM

Please mps vote it down!

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2019 2:56 PM

Letwin amendment to close the loophole in the Benn Act (long story) passes, government will probably schedule the vote on a deal for Tuesday. Meanwhile, Boris just got himself a showdown with the Scottish court on Monday by saying this after today's vote:

[quote]"I will not negotiate a delay with the EU and neither does the law compel me to do so"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2019 2:31 PM

What happens if Boris refuses to ask the EU for another extension?

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2019 2:36 PM

R29 The Labour Party won't vote for a general election whilst they are 15 points behind in the polls.

Boris could resign, but as elections are subject to the Fixed Term Parliament Act the Tories would just have to elect a new leader until a vote to hold an election could be passed, or wait until the next scheduled election in late 2022.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2019 3:22 PM

Oh dear he lost the Letwin vote, he'll have to ask for an extension now. Or the Scottish courts will do it for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2019 4:05 PM

I hope there's a second referendum, but I wish people would stop referring to as the "People's Vote". It's patronising. Who voted in the last referendum - squirrels?

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2019 5:10 PM

Boris must be tired of winning (snort!).

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2019 5:12 PM

Is Meghan Markle okay with this?

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2019 5:25 PM

R45 Over 1.5million UK voters have died since the 2016 referendum.

It's another reason why referenda are a fucking terrible idea.

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2019 5:35 PM

Works fine in Switzerland, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2019 6:02 PM

The British are way more stupid than the Swiss and inclined to vote in perverse ways without any thought to the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2019 6:08 PM

They kept Anne Widdecombe on Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with The Stars) for 8 weeks because she was so terrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote] Govt is sending three documents to the EU tonight - the 1st, the Benn Act extension letter, exactly as set out in law, but that PM has not personally signed; 2nd, a cover note from Sir Tim Barrow and the 3rd, a letter signed by the PM arguing that further delay is a mistake

Yet another trait Boris shares with Trump: being a twelve-year-old trapped in an adult's body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2019 10:28 PM

Yikes! The first time I looked at OP's pic I thought Boris was talking with Tom Hanks.....

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2019 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!